Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

all the life and joy you could ever want:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Joe
Oct 25, 2009

The rain falls on murderers and madmen, the same as it does on innocent children... and it can't stop a bullet.
Going into ZZ right off of Zeta is a huge tone shift which can affect how you feel about each half, imo.

At least it did for me because I really didn't like how it went from serious (Z) to goofy (ZZ) and meandering for a while. Looking back, I don't even mind the goofiness so much as the amount because it always felt like "Dont you have something to actually be doing, why are you wasting time on these kids?". When Judau gets serious during the second half ZZ gets a lot better.

I watched Wing when it came out and like the Gundams more than the plot, because I didn't really think about it at the time. It was definitely different from anything else available which I think helped its popularity a lot so the audience could grow even without any connection to MSG. On a (nostalgia) rewatch it wasn't great or awful, just ok as far as the plot goes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have zero nostalgia for Wing, although I guess I was in the right age bracket for it and just missed it. I watched it for the first time ten years ago now when I was 25. I thought it was great and I still think it's great. It and Zeta were undoubtedly my favorite Gundams from that "Gundam marathon' I had.

ninjewtsu posted:

all the life and joy you could ever want:

I wanna say I prefer the first half of Wing as a whole but Dorothy and Relena are my favorite characters and their interactions are obviously all in the second half.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That article claims Quess is the main character of CCA so it can say Suletta is a better female lead, it's not really worth getting mad about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that makes me mad, tho

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ZZ IBO and G have much stronger second halves

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

That article claims Quess is the main character of CCA so it can say Suletta is a better female lead, it's not really worth getting mad about.

This here tells me that the article is a hack job.

Anyway Re:Rise has a slow first half of showcasing character traumas and their attempts to move past them as a team. Then it comes up behind you and breaks a baseball bat over your head in the midseason finale and is straight bangers from that point onward.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd say Build Fighters has a better second half, or at least higher highs.
I'd call the second half of AGE slightly stronger than the first, not that that's saying much; Also slightly cheating because I'm counting the last few Gen2 episodes in here purely of episode count.

He is just very worried about the MORBIL ZOOTS okay. :allears:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/PikefishPosts/status/1767600921230582042?s=20

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna say I prefer the first half of Wing as a whole but Dorothy and Relena are my favorite characters and their interactions are obviously all in the second half.

Dorothy is one of the few characters I liked in Wing, and I’m glad Endless Waltz gave her something to do other than be constantly Marine Tod’d by Relena.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Anyways, onto today’s tournament matchups!

Sorry Mashymere, but Uso Ewin racks up another kill!
In the battle of secret motives, Hathaway just couldn’t hack it against Master Asia!

This is a bad day for me to do the color commentary, because I‘ve been sitting on Turn A because you save the best for last and, well, Wing. But hey, it’s the other good Wing character!

It’s Dianna Soreil vs Duo Maxwell!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1767898417605296347

And Harry Ord vs Loran Cehack!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1767898428074578400

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked when dorothy was brought to the final battle on zechs' side and was given control over the entire mobile doll force for, uh, some reason

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also harry is currently getting stomped by loran which just boggles my mind

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

i liked when dorothy was brought to the final battle on zechs' side and was given control over the entire mobile doll force for, uh, some reason

Don't try to make sense of Wing's story, because it is impossible.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

She was sufficiently crazy to have intimidated him into letting her have it. Also Wing doesn't need to make sense, just let it wash over you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Apprentice Dick posted:

Don't try to make sense of Wing's story, because it is impossible.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

She was sufficiently crazy to have intimidated him into letting her have it. Also Wing doesn't need to make sense, just let it wash over you.

marveling at the precise level of sense it doesn't make is like most of the fun though

it makes just enough sense to be baffling instead of nonsense, that's what's funny about it

there is 100% a completely coherent reason and justification for the vast majority of wing's events. it was just written by an alien whose thought processes are completely foreign to our normal human minds.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 13, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

i choose to believe dorothy was an avid RTS enjoyer and when told the zero-enhanced mobile doll system was 'basically command and conquer' she jumped at the idea

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorothy wanting to control all of the death machines was not the part of that that was hard to understand lmao

What I have trouble recalling/reconciling is why the teenager with no combat or military experience was given the controller

Iirc she actually didn't do great at it too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

What I have trouble recalling/reconciling is why the teenager with no combat or military experience was given the controller

.. in Gundam Wing?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

.. in Gundam Wing?

yeah the kids were terrorists who were last second picks for the job and also very well trained, there's a justification there that isn't present for dorothy!!!

she wasn't even formally part of the white fang!!!!!! iirc she just kinda showed up and said "i want to watch" and zechs said "sure, have a front row seat" -> "hey, you wanna control our entire army?"

(it's very funny that she was given high command of their most critical combat position)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 13, 2024

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It had the ZERO system installed, anybody could use the thing as long as they were alright with it making them go crazy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
name a single wing character that wouldn't be fine with that

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
it's been a while since I've watched Wing, but Quatre?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Professor Wayne posted:

it's been a while since I've watched Wing, but Quatre?

Quatre destroyed an entire colony while under the influence of the Zero System, he wasn’t very happy when he realized that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean quatre did go crazy from the zero system, and destroyed an entire colony that was totally completely 100% evacuated just before he arrived and therefore he has no blood on his hands, so lmao

anyways i think howard probably wouldn't want to get tangled up in piloting the zero system

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah the kids were terrorists who were last second picks for the job and also very well trained, there's a justification there that isn't present for dorothy!!!

she wasn't even formally part of the white fang!!!!!! iirc she just kinda showed up and said "i want to watch" and zechs said "sure, have a front row seat" -> "hey, you wanna control our entire army?"

(it's very funny that she was given high command of their most critical combat position)

Enthusiasm can make up for a great many failings, but... I dunno about this one. It's been a long time since I watched Wing. Maybe I should do it again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

name a single wing character that wouldn't be fine with that

Duo also went "gently caress the zero system, only two people can properly use this"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Didn't Zechs not actually care if he won at the end, only that the war was so horrible humanity abandoned war or something?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Didn't Zechs not actually care if he won at the end, only that the war was so horrible humanity abandoned war or something?

I think him and Treize were both on the same page about this and committed to 'playing their roles' in this war. White Fang vs. OZ was meant to be this grand orchestration, with Libra's narrowly averted planetfall meant to scare humanity straight.

edit: For this to work, Quinze, Romefellar, Relena, Howard, and pretty much everyone not Zechs or Treize has to be kept in the dark. Also it doesn't work because lol Endless Waltz happens, and sources close to Goons suggest there's something called Frozen Teardrop which also includes more fighting so lmao even.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 13, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

my god

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Harry is getting destroyed and I don't understand

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would be one thing if he was up against Laura Rolla, the beautiful pilot of the White Doll, but this is just some rich girl's driver!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Loran Cehack is my friend and I understand and support him in this endeavor, even if I do not understand how he is succeeding.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
no matter what actually happens in turn a it's the amuro-role against the char-role. we know who wins this, we always have

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I understand why Loran, beloved main character from a beloved show, is beating Harry, a supporting character from that show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/SEED_HDRP/status/1768109809964896566?s=20

oh my god

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The entire SEED franchise has a much higher average quality than the entire Dune series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lacus Al-Gaib and the Kira Haderach

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kira Yamato's crying is also a killing word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How about about Flay Rau-tha