Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

dead gay comedy forums posted:

what the gently caress this is simcity poo poo irl

its loving awesome is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
"Call." - Xi Jinping

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

lmao get the gently caress outta here

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

RandolphCarter posted:

Born in Richmond with those initials and the 3rd of his name. :thunk: And the fundie Christian stuff just like Zenz.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RandolphCarter posted:

hideo kojima can't keep getting away with this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Officials in a Chinese city near Beijing apologised after a state media journalist was prevented from covering a fatal explosion, an incident that underscores the difficulty of reporting in the world’s second-largest economy.

A clip from state broadcaster China Central Television shows one of their reporters working near the scene of a blast resulting from a suspected gas leak that killed at least seven people on March 13 in Yanjiao town, just east of the capital.

Midway through her report, local security officials block her camera and say “it’s too dangerous.”

“Due to the frontline staff’s poor communication skills and rough and simplistic approaches, it has triggered a misunderstanding from media friends and questions from public opinion,” officials handling the disaster said in a statement on March 14.

The government “immediately severely criticised the staff involved, and sent officers to express their apologies to the relevant journalist friends on several occasions.”

China ranked 179th in the latest World Press Freedom Index, one spot above North Korea.

Under President Xi Jinping, China has cut releases of official information and heightened its sensitivity over state secrets.

That could lead to increasing risks for foreign firms as they contend with the increasingly catch-all definition of national security.

Reporters can face harsh punishments for any violations.

Australian journalist Cheng Lei said in 2023 that she was detained in China for nearly three years because she shared an official briefing document just before the government released it.

The incident in Yanjiao has prompted some anger in China.

The topic was one of the most-read on the social media site Weibo on March 14, attracting some 110 million views.

“There are so many people that are closer to the site than the reporters, but you only choose to persuade the reporters to leave,” one Internet user said.

A media industry organisation linked to the Communist Party has also criticised the local security officials for their handling of the matter.

“Journalists have the right to conduct legitimate interviews,” the All-China Journalists Association said in a statement.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

journalists are the enemy of the people, they should oppress them harder

also I saw that video of that explosion, it was pretty crazy

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

remember when journalists were arrested for covering the train accident in east palestine, ohio lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I looked up the center square fountain, it does have a yin yang logo on it, which makes me happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KdzR-RTjQA

Feng shui of this city is off the charts.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

In Training posted:

They're releasing a big western-style AAA console game adaptation of journey to the west later this year theyll have a whole mountain of new sleeper agent gamers to activate in the tikTok wars.

Eagerly awaiting a Chinese CoD where you fight for the liberation of Central-Asia-stan against a thinly veiled US military contractor

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I feel it's only fair to distribute my social media data equally to US and Chinese corporations.

I'm doing my part!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm going to cross post this from doom econ.

Remember the 2019 Hong Kong protests? Well....
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-launched-cia-covert-influence-operation-against-china-2024-03-14/
This also explains the USA's freak out about tiktok.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-launched-cia-covert-influence-operation-against-china-2024-03-14/

Seem to be pretty slim on detail. I was hoping a Hersh style long expose.

So CIA talked to Reuters? Why? That's not going to lower Trump's chance in re-election.

There was so much going on in HK in 2019 (pushed by CIA) I am not sure I remember these non-HK fake news.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Mar 14, 2024

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Didn't see this coming

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

stephenthinkpad posted:

So CIA talked to Reuters? Why? That's not going to low Trump chance in re-election.

If I had to bet I'd guess Reuters is dropping this ahead of a bigger expose by someone. Sometimes this happens when a big story is in the pipeline somewhere. Get the scoop as they say.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

So CIA talked to Reuters? Why? That's not going to lower Trump's chance in re-election.

There was so much going on in HK in 2019 (pushed by CIA) I am not sure I remember these non-HK fake news.
Reuters is CIA. they're up to something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

Reuters is CIA. they're up to something.

while I'm sure that's true, is there a money trail linking reuters to cia cutouts like NED? I thought Reuters was mostly UK/british spook poo poo
and searching 'reuters CIA funding' is less than helpful

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

double nine posted:

while I'm sure that's true, is there a money trail linking reuters to cia cutouts like NED? I thought Reuters was mostly UK/british spook poo poo

Dawn Scalici joined Thomson Reuters in July 2015 to serve as the company’s first Government Global Business Director. She is charged with the responsibility of advancing Thomson Reuters’ ability to meet the disparate needs of the U.S. Government—working across the company’s major business lines and optimally leveraging its vast and unique data, products, and services. In this capacity she develops strategic relationships with government sector constituents and key decision-makers, develops campaigns to promote Thomson Reuters’ business growth, and works with the company’s senior executives to determine relevant strategic goals and plans.

Prior to joining Thomson Reuters, Ms. Scalici served 33 years with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). In her last federal assignment, she served as the National Intelligence Manager for the Western Hemisphere within the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI). In this role, she was responsible for overseeing national intelligence for an area of responsibility spanning from the Arctic to the tip of South America, including the US Homeland.
Ms. Scalici serves on the Board of Directors for the Association for International Risk Intelligence Professionals and on the Board of Advisors of the Momentum Aviation Group (MAG). She also serves on the Intelligence Committee of the Arms Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) and the Homeland Security Intelligence Council of the Intelligence and National Security Alliance (INSA).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

double nine posted:

Worldwide Propaganda Network Built by the C.I.A.

www.nytimes.com - Mon, 26 Dec 1977 posted:

The C.I.A. reportedly had agents within a number of foreign news services, including LATIN, a Catin American agency operated by the British news agency, Reuters, and the Ritzhaus organization in Scandanavia.

Although there were C.I.A agents in the overeas bureaus of The Associated Press and United Press International, the C.I.A. is said to have had none in Reuters because that agency is British and thus a potential target of the British Secret Intelligence Service.

But sources familiar with the situation said that the C.I.A occasionally “borrowed” British “assets” inside Reuters for the purpose of planting news articles. Asked about the much‐publicized assertion by William E. Colby, the former Di‘ rector of Central Intelligence, that the agency never “manipulated” Reuters, one official replied that “it wasn't manipulation because Reuters knew” that the stories were being planted by the C.I.A. and that some were bogus.

Desmond Manerly, Reuters's managing editor for North America, has said that such charges were “old‐hat stuff to us.” He noted that Reuters's managing director, for Gerald Long, had asked for evidence of such manipulation but that none had been forthcoming.

A number of news agencies were owned outright or were heavily financed by the C.I.A. One, the Foreign News Service, produced articles written by a group of journalists who had been exiled from Eastern European nations. In the early 1960's the articles were sold to as many as 300 newspapers around the world, including The New York Times, The Christian Science Monitor and The New York Herald Tribune.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

Dawn Scalici joined Thomson Reuters in July 2015 to serve as the company’s first Government Global Business Director. She is charged with the responsibility of advancing Thomson Reuters’ ability to meet the disparate needs of the U.S. Government—working across the company’s major business lines and optimally leveraging its vast and unique data, products, and services. In this capacity she develops strategic relationships with government sector constituents and key decision-makers, develops campaigns to promote Thomson Reuters’ business growth, and works with the company’s senior executives to determine relevant strategic goals and plans.

Prior to joining Thomson Reuters, Ms. Scalici served 33 years with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). In her last federal assignment, she served as the National Intelligence Manager for the Western Hemisphere within the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI). In this role, she was responsible for overseeing national intelligence for an area of responsibility spanning from the Arctic to the tip of South America, including the US Homeland.
Ms. Scalici serves on the Board of Directors for the Association for International Risk Intelligence Professionals and on the Board of Advisors of the Momentum Aviation Group (MAG). She also serves on the Intelligence Committee of the Arms Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) and the Homeland Security Intelligence Council of the Intelligence and National Security Alliance (INSA).
oh that's blunt, amazing tradecraft

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

Chinese soybean production is basically unchanged since the ninties so idk what this talk about it getting destroyed is.

Well maybe destroyed was a bit dramatic. The domestic market was shattered in the sense that the small soybean farmers ended up losing money in their entire year of hard works because the international soybean market was able to lowered the price right around their own harvest time. Not destroyed in the sense that the farmers have to sell their lands and move the whole families to city slums. You can't really sell farm lands in China like private property.

Look at the China soybean import history, they went from minor soybean export in early 90s, to imported the same amount in the 2000, to import twice the amount as domestic production in 2008

Here is the import number from 2008 to 2022.

the import number tripled, from 35 mil ton to 100 mil ton per year.

While the China domestic soybean keep roughly the same output, they only grow non-GMO food grade soybean, to eat and make tofu type food, and all kind of meat-like snake foods. Most of the imported soybean are GMO type for animal feed. Here is a meat consumption history, you can see it almost triple so that's where all the soybean went.

Here is the soybean price index, I think it supports what I remember, price went down from 95 to 2000 being lowest. And 2000 was when Sinograin was found

Also world soybean price spiked up after 2000 can explain why China kept the same amount of soybean production.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Here's a chart correlating the increasing number of soybean charts with the increasing speed of my beautifully crafted spinning bowtie

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In Training posted:

They're releasing a big western-style AAA console game adaptation of journey to the west later this year theyll have a whole mountain of new sleeper agent gamers to activate in the tikTok wars.

Oh man I remember that one

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1768321199401271810

This is a call for even more sanctions and tariffs obviously.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

One may be tricked into thinking cheap solar is good, but actually, that's bad for the economy, and just goes to show how evil the yellow man can be

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh no. We might be able to decarbonize.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

mawarannahr posted:

Dawn Scalici joined Thomson Reuters in July 2015 to serve as the company’s first Government Global Business Director.

Thomson Reuters also has a big presence in collecting and selling data. They sell the software CLEAR to law enforcement, advertised as a collection of public records data used to assist investigations. Not surprised at all they have connection to the CIA.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
meat like snake foods

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Danann posted:

:capitalism:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Stephen

That price dip is not as ahistorical as your graph makes it appear

And it is the American market, which doesn't appear to be strongly linked to the Chinese market, although I can't find 90's data for China.

Just the fact that Chinese soy is non-GMO for human consumption and imported soy is largely GMO animal feed suggests they are different markets.
While Chinese soy growers may have less options regarding abandoning the land they can switch crops, and it doesn't appear to have happened in significant numbers.

Incidentally, they have just begun to approve growing some varieties of GMO soy domestically, although apparently not for human consumption.
https://asiasociety.org/australia/g...C%20government.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Danann posted:

how about juicing demand you freaks, look at the loving surface temperature anomaly graph

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I account for half of this

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1768230593459114026

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

love this guy, dry ramen ftw

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ThomasHochman/status/1768405656305009115

i'm remembering the time the boat guy was gushing how all this money being spent means epic american ev adoption SOON

meanwhile china's at 1.8 million chargers and counting

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/drsidsan/status/1768421517224972570?s=19
:mmmhmm:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Danann posted:

i'm remembering the time the boat guy was gushing how all this money being spent means epic american ev adoption SOON

cant believe pete buttigieg the great symbol of our meritocratic political system was unable to meaningfully implement this ambitious program

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

love this guy, dry ramen ftw

the carbonara is better

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Danann posted:

lol that guy was something else

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

mama mia !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i had no idea that the world instant noodles association even existed, but im glad that we have someone out there fighting the good fight