Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
since the thread this got posted in basically gets no traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I read that thread habitually, but I've also known his chud status for a long time. gently caress him and everything he's involved in.

But that's my reaction every time I see someone with BRCC stuff also.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Scratch Monkey posted:

Could you install the app on an old phone that you just keep at your house?

That's what I meant earlier - bring it out for the requisite 50 trips (25 commutes) and leave it at home for the mountain runs or whatever.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Large Testicles posted:

since the thread this got posted in basically gets no traffic

I used to follow him on Instagram until this was posted

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Nitrox posted:

I used to follow him on Instagram until this was posted

Same, I always admired Travis' attitude of try anything new, get hurt, do it again attitude, and the huckster was cool af.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Large Testicles posted:

wrong thread

e; i'll double down for 12 hours and add the billionaire who died from a dick enbiggening is wrong thread too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol that this is considered bloodlust. cowards

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
clearly the mods are billionaires

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Large Testicles posted:

lol that this is considered bloodlust. cowards
Listen, the user that reported your post didn't have any decent recent posts but if they did they would have eaten a 12 hour probe for defending billionaires.

For the record: there are no ethical billionaires.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

clearly the mods are billionaires

It's true! Mods Don't Want You To Know This One Secret!!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Listen, the user that reported your post didn't have any decent recent posts but if they did they would have eaten a 12 hour probe for defending billionaires.

For the record: there are no ethical billionaires.

It was a lurker? :lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nooooooo Gandini has passed away. We're running out of designers who actually have talent.

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1767976506540601789?t=QFvbv_9n5fK691mggxGHcA&s=19

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

drat, going to pour something out for him. Miura is probably my favorite design of all time.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's fine. We still have Chris Bangle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The new Skoda Superb has the three knobs!

They aren't temperature/fan/direction knobs, instead each has multiple functions that you have to toggle between lol. Fan speed, direction and volume are on the same knob along with drive modes, and although they seem to be clicky, you can't actually tell which position it is in without looking, like you can with a normal one.

Still, we should probably apply some positive reinforcement on the designers, it's at least a step in the right direction

No. 6 posted:

Thank god for that

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

I know Bangle gets all the hate, but Adrian van Hooydonk is the real enemy.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

They aren't temperature/fan/direction knobs, instead each has multiple functions that you have to toggle between lol. Fan speed, direction and volume are on the same knob along with drive modes, and although they seem to be clicky, you can't actually tell which position it is in without looking, like you can with a normal one.

this is a war crime

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody saw this video and decided it would be fun to build. Unfortunately they worked for Skoda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip641WmY4pA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Somebody saw this video and decided it would be fun to build. Unfortunately they worked for Skoda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip641WmY4pA

Oh poo poo you're right, I'm pretty sure I've seen that back then on Hackaday probably. It was really a pretty gadget, but someone clearly got the wrong idea out of it

e:

sadly it's just a single photo. It might've worked ok even if the Nissan only needed a bit of help getting moving

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 13, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh poo poo you're right, I'm pretty sure I've seen that back then on Hackaday probably. It was really a pretty gadget, but someone clearly got the wrong idea out of it

e:

sadly it's just a single photo. It might've worked ok even if the Nissan only needed a bit of help getting moving

I aint calling wrong thread but having a think about it, that may actually work pretty well in a pinch - it's a well reinforced area, the load is spread out somewhat and as long as they aint doing a flying runup lowish chance of bending anything.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Yeah I've seen way sketchier ideas employed to rescue vehicles from incoming tides. Even if the worst happens, you might wreck the tow car but it also wouldn't be disabled either, like say if they strapped to the rear axle or something dumb like that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
That massive D pillar had better be good for something

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

drat, going to pour something out for him. Miura is probably my favorite design of all time.

When Carrol Shelby died ai was pouring out some 40w.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Door Frame posted:

That massive D pillar had better be good for something

Oh, you better believe it is :quagmire:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Still, we should probably apply some positive reinforcement on the designers, it's at least a step in the right direction

Thank god for that

i hate it

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Saukkis posted:

I wonder how Musk will react to one of his peers suffering this kind of fate. Could a Tesla detect being submerger soon enough to automatically open the windows. Or will Teslas drive in the rain with open windows from now on.

Don't know if this is true, but here's a story from last year that claims that Teslas roll down the windows and unlock the door once they detect water in the interior. The story doesn't specify the amount of water,

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/10/09/tesla-vehicles-automatically-open-windows-doors-when-submerged-under-water/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How are you supposed to use it as a boat, briefly, if it does that?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

mobby_6kl posted:

Thank god for that

this is haram

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Miura is easily one of my favorite designs.

also:

No. 6 posted:

It's fine. We still have will.i.am.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

We're running out of designers who actually have talent.

surely this happened decades ago?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raluek posted:

surely this happened decades ago?

Gandini died yesterday my guy.

(but ones who actually still work, yeah).

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

mobby_6kl posted:

Thank god for that

when I saw that, I though you're gonna have to swipe across the drat knob to change what it does, but you push the whole thing in to change between the modes. Timestamped below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_QTL1sfPjs&t=391s

For 2024 car, this isn't that bad.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Can't wait to adjust my volumWhoops I bumped it while reaching and now I'm turning my seat heaters to max...

gently caress this trash

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Kerrow posted:

For 2024 car, this isn't that bad.

...but it should be GOOD by now, we've had cars for 100 years, most things they need to do are solved problems so people trying to reinvent the wheel is dumb. I want to be able to get into any car and intuitively know how to use it, that shouldn't be difficult to do at this point.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Can't wait to adjust my volumWhoops I bumped it while reaching and now I'm turning my seat heaters to max...

gently caress this trash

Use the buttons on the steering wheel that don’t require you to take your hand off of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Manufacturers who do this subscription poo poo should burn.

https://twitter.com/NickGibbs/status/1768027471612404171?t=FLWYP3owS2NfYs9E2KGvTA&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The future is a dead mall.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The future is me driving a car from the early 90s until it falls absolutely to pieces

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I imagine someone is working very hard at jailbreaking this technology to give control back to the user.

It's already available for earlier teslas, where you can roll back to whatever update you find desirable, or enable features that were locked behind certain packages.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I can't think of a possible way to sell that subscription to someone and leave them feeling like they made the right purchase

Either I own the car with all of its constituent parts and am free to use them as I see fit, or I don't and don't have to pay nearly as much money to license my use of the car. It's pretty simple

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Audi is going to try charging subscription fees for stuff too.

quote:

Audi is charging buyers subscription fees to access features like adaptive cruise control, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, automatic high beams, and, bafflingly, dual-zone climate controls. This is all running on carryover electronics from 2023, which include a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster and a 10.1-inch touchscreen.

Paying the fee opens access to Audi’s app store, which is where users can download CarPlay and other features. Though we don’t know how much Audi plans to charge, the automaker offers three- and six-month options, as well as one- and three-year subscriptions. Owners can also buy the features outright.

imagine paying a subscription fee for something and then also having to pay to fix it when it breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nitrox posted:

I imagine someone is working very hard at jailbreaking this technology to give control back to the user.

It's already available for earlier teslas, where you can roll back to whatever update you find desirable, or enable features that were locked behind certain packages.

I mean good luck with that when the car needs something fixing in a legit shop for warranty purposes and you either have to revert back to the legit firmware for the fix to take place or they spot there's a gap in OTA updates and question why things look fucky.

This is part of the reason I hate tech generally, it will tell on you and there's not much you can do about it.

Getting features back on older stuff? Fine I guess but if you haven't used it, would you miss it and run the risk of loving your car using someone else's code just so you can get coloured lighting? There's also the security aspect of it, who's to say a car hacker won't install some extra poo poo and gently caress you so you have to come back to them periodically to drop more money?