Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
It's worth playing the 2009 Wolfenstein game without mods first, but if you like it but wish it was more like RTCW, the great Retrostein mod has you covered. It changes the enemy health, behaviours, weapons effects for a more RTCW like experience, and there's more of an incentive for hunt for gold or Tomes of Power. There's two versions: one which removes the annoying "Tip: Press R To Reload!" pop-ups, but it also disables the "Press to select the next area" notifications as they're linked sadly. The second version keeps these popups/map notifications if you're not too familiar with the levels. Raven never released a SDK for it, which is a drat shame given all the enhancements they made to the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you should also play sigil 1 and 2 if you've not already

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Breaking News: Embracer has sold Saber Interactive off to, uh, Saber's co-founder. 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks is included in the transaction, hopefully sparing them any further humiliation (at least, of the non-self-inflicted kind).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/davidlcraddock/status/1767587291269054928

Anyone watched it?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Breaking News: Embracer has sold Saber Interactive off to, uh, Saber's co-founder. 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks is included in the transaction, hopefully sparing them any further humiliation (at least, of the non-self-inflicted kind).

I think this relates to divesting assets which are inextricably linked to Russia and/or Tim Willits

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

4h 35m :eyepop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That truly flies by.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on that documentary. You can actually buy a DRM-free copy directly from here which comes with an extra PDF, soundtrack and some wallpapers.

Also I just remembered my main beef with Prodeus (outside of the dumb save system and it getting very repetitive) was the forced vignette that creates a severe tunnel vision effect. Thankfully there is a mod to fix that now.

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 14, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

you should also play sigil 1 and 2 if you've not already

Sigil 1 & 2 and the Machine Games expansions for Quake and Quake 2 are legitimately some of the best shooting you can do at the minute.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Was Bungie's goal with Halo 2 to create the most infuriatingly irritating roster of enemies ever featured in an FPS? The loving rage monkies. The RAGE MONKIES. There's no way playtesters didn't go "Hey man this absolutely loving sucks why is this in here?"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Sigil 1 & 2 and the Machine Games expansions for Quake and Quake 2 are legitimately some of the best shooting you can do at the minute.

:yeah:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Hoping that this stops the bleeding for 3D Realms/Slipgate.

Also that Tempest Rising will see the light of day.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Was Bungie's goal with Halo 2 to create the most infuriatingly irritating roster of enemies ever featured in an FPS? The loving rage monkies. The RAGE MONKIES. There's no way playtesters didn't go "Hey man this absolutely loving sucks why is this in here?"

What playtesters lol. There’s no way they tested most of the campaign beyond the bare minimum of “can these levels be played without making the Xbox explode”, they were absolutely scrambling to get online mp working in any way shape or form

quote:

Butcher has a much more specific, prosaic theory for what made Halo great – and, it turns out, what disappoints him so bitterly about Halo 2. “We had about four to five weeks to polish Halo at the end. No more than that. And that last five per cent is responsible for 30 per cent of the success of the game, or more. That’s the period in which we really had a perfect storm. The team was all there, everything was working great, the Xbox hardware was finally there and good, and we just were able to relentlessly execute on that. The entire game came together within that four- to six-week period.

“One of the things that stuns me when I think about it, and I can’t believe this is true – we had none of that for Halo 2. Take that polish period and completely get rid of it. We miscalculated, we screwed up, we came down to the wire and we just lost all of that. So Halo 2 is far less than it could and should be in many ways because of that. It kills me to think of it. Even the multiplayer experience for Halo 2 is a pale shadow of what it could and should have been if we had gotten the timing of our schedule right. It’s astounding to me. I loving cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it. And that’s why I know Halo 3 is going to be so much better.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20070122073112/http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007/01/inside_bungie.php

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's definitely a fantastic mix, done well. I ended my night tonight in the asylum, when the old-timey wheelchair (those already creep me the gently caress out) rolled into the room I was in.
The asylum is such a great part of CULTIC, and the end of the level is so cathartic. Love it.

Deakul posted:

Nightmare Reaper was loving rad for most of my playtime but really, once you've had enough of it you don't need to feel bad about dropping it.

It's unnecessarily long with one of the worst level up mechanics(each skill tree is a fuckin minigame, granted you can skip them for the most part) you could think of.

I also think that they introduce way too much bullshit to keep track of later on(so many physical tiny fuckin objects to plug into things that blend in with the messy textures.)

But god drat is the combat fun as hell, the number of different toys you can play with is just crazy.

26.2 hours here for one go-through!
I guess the better advice is to play it in your downtime from other games. And don't go straight from your first play of Blood to Nightmare Reaper like I did, Blood is superior is basically every way.
And turn off the minigames in the options menu when they get old. I think I caught two pokemon ever before I turned that off?

anilEhilated posted:

Was. It's set in the eighties, we actually have meat now. Sometimes.
I don't know if anyone has said thanks for your posts about HROT and Czech culture but I want to say thanks. As someone who grew up in America it's really interesting to hear how different things are elsewhere, and even more so to see how many weird little cultural in-jokes HROT has.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That little egg game is great

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I'm a big fan of the idea of remastering Quake 3 and letting Machine Games do whatever they like with some single player stuff.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

I don't know if anyone has said thanks for your posts about HROT and Czech culture but I want to say thanks. As someone who grew up in America it's really interesting to hear how different things are elsewhere, and even more so to see how many weird little cultural in-jokes HROT has.
Thanks for thanks! I was genuinely curious how the game managed to come across since a lot of the stuff is incredibly specific, so I'm glad people appreciate the explanation.

Milo and POTUS posted:

That little egg game is great
In HROT? That was actually a Soviet-made handheld based (most likely without permission) on the Nintendo Game & Watch. It served as a whole generation's introduction to the concept of videogaming, although most kids couldn't afford one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

Apparently there's a patch for Graven stuck in publisher approval limbo, I hope this gets it unstuck. I was really hoping that game would be good.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I doubt it would to happen but it would be cool if Machine Games did a bonus campaign for System Shock 2 for the remaster.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Thanks for thanks! I was genuinely curious how the game managed to come across since a lot of the stuff is incredibly specific, so I'm glad people appreciate the explanation.

Big thanks from me as well as it was what prompted me to play it in the first place! (I already owned it but it was further down the queue)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

I doubt it would to happen but it would be cool if Machine Games did a bonus campaign for System Shock 2 for the remaster.

I'd like to see a Machine Games imsim, Riddick and the nu-Wolfenstein games already lean pretty close to that formula.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Prodeus wasn't bad. It was solid with a nice variety of weapons and lots of good setpiece maps (for the most part). I'm looking forward to the expansion episode (or whatever it's supposed to be). What I think is a crying shame is that the map creation feature didn't get any community support. There were some really impressive community maps from what I played.

Trepang2 is the best "FEAR successor" to come along in a long while. Lots of fun, even if it's kind of short (like six main missions and six side missions), but there are a ton of combat simulator challenges that I should get around to doing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Cultic is 8 dollars go get it if you haven't it is no word of a lie the best retro shooter around.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Cultic is 8 dollars go get it if you haven't it is no word of a lie the best retro shooter around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I bought Turbo Overkill. HROT will be next. Maybe this sale, maybe not, unsure.

No regrets. The demo for TO is insane.

Also:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't often agree with gmanlives, but he said that Cultic is, overall, closer to Resident Evil 4 than Blood, and he's not wrong.

Go buy the Resident Evil 4 FPS game.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 14, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Turbo Overkill is one of my favorite things to come out of the genre. If I had to provide any criticism, I think the only thing I'd say is that it is incredibly long.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
turbo overkill is good choice

^^^ yes agreed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the only thing I'd say is that it is incredibly long.

Good. Literally more for me. :getin:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Turbo Overkill is one of my favorite things to come out of the genre. If I had to provide any criticism, I think the only thing I'd say is that it is incredibly long.

I wouldn't have picked it up if not for you evangelising it and you were incredibly right. Turbo Overkill is better than Doom Eternal imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pseudo-update on Agent64, which I'm personally excited for.

If it has half the features as Perfect Dark 64/XBLA, well.... :swoon:

https://twitter.com/Agent64game/status/1768363976994197671?t=atvHlKjCYx5zk4JETwcGZA&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh good. The demo was promising

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

bargain

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bumhead posted:

I'm a big fan of the idea of remastering Quake 3 and letting Machine Games do whatever they like with some single player stuff.

This would be cool as hell

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I just realized that Turbo Overkill isn’t the same thing as Sprawl, another cyberpunk movement shooter that came out last summer which I didn’t end up really liking

Anyway I gave the TO demo a shot and it is better than Sprawl

Should I be playing this like Tribes and just constantly looking for things to slide on whenever I’m not in the air

Also why is slide default bound to leftctrl? I mean ok, it’s nominally crouch, but it’s also your melee attack. I put this on my mouse side button asap

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 14, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Should I be playing this like Tribes and just constantly looking for things to slide on whenever I’m not in the air

Is this a trick question? They gave you a chainsaw leg to slide with.

Get a load of this guy "should I use the chainsaw leg?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skasion posted:

I just realized that Turbo Overkill isn’t the same thing as Sprawl, another cyberpunk movement shooter that came out last summer which I didn’t end up really liking

Also why is slide default bound to leftctrl? I mean ok, it’s nominally crouch, but it’s also your melee attack. I put this on my mouse side button asap

Well sprawl and to are nothing alike. Anyway, Sprawls good, but get it on sale

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

skasion posted:

Why is the crouch button bound to the crouch button? :iiam:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Is this a trick question? They gave you a chainsaw leg to slide with.

Get a load of this guy "should I use the chainsaw leg?"

Deakul posted:

Why is the crouch button bound to the crouch button? :iiam:

Similar mechanic in Cultic, where when you crouch while moving you kick, but there's no chainsaw attached to the knee. All games need chainsaw legs. Whenever you crouch while moving, and you slide, everyone should be asking "where's chainsaw leg?"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Everyone always asks where chainsaw leg is, but no one ever asks how chainsaw leg is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

More thoughts about Cultic now that I'm (almost) done. I'm at what I believe to be the final level. I've been through the excavation area and past the huge wall of fire.

What's the deal with the slowdown? I don't always get it, even if I one-shot someone's head off. When I do get it, how is it supposed to help me? Or is it just a style thing?

Goddamn, the chainsaw guys always startle me. That big round room where your walkway is like a cross and you have to go investigate the 3 separate doors..... YEESH. I set one on fire and he immediately walked off the edge, so A+ there.

I really, really got pulled in by the environmental storytelling, backed up by the notes. Especially that investigator guy's journal, because you know it'll end badly. And I wondered how the game would present his 'final' note, because as we all know, right before you die, whatever's going to kill you obviously gives you a minute to jot your thoughts down. I'm satisfied with how they did it, with him holed up between the walls, slowly dying from a gunshot wound, which actually gave him enough time to write out his final note.

The asylum is probably my favourite part so far. It's up there with the creepiest parts of RE4, like that hallway on the island with the wiggling back of 'something' in the dumpster, or parts of the village as night falls.

I'm looking forward to playing the Interlude and Survival mode, both of which I know nothing about. I need more Cultic!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 15, 2024