Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

LTV is honestly pretty clearly and succinctly explained, and it's not "more effort = more money".

The best part is they don't even need to pick up a gross Marx book, the definition on Wikipedia gets them 90% of the way there:

The labor theory of value (LTV) is a theory of value that argues that the exchange value of a good or service is determined by the total amount of "socially necessary labor" required to produce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's also in like the first half dozen pages of Capital. Like it's a long read and I still haven't gotten through it, but that's achievable by just thumbing through it a little

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

lol imagine not having read all of Marx.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Telluric Whistler posted:

The labor theory of value (LTV) is a theory of value that argues that the exchange value of a good or service is determined by the total amount of "socially necessary labor" required to produce it.

I like all the replies that are saying "well, drinking water is socially necessary"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Well one thing's for sure, you'd never catch capitalists adding a bunch of pointless flourish to a readily available public good and claiming it's more valuable as a result

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Well one thing's for sure, you'd never catch capitalists adding a bunch of pointless flourish to a readily available public good and claiming it's more valuable as a result

That's the invisible hand and that's real and good

E: that reminds me that people once again show their asses saying that supply and demand determine prices, fact checked Karl Marx. Marx also acknowledges that value and price are only equal in equilibrium conditions. it's wild how so much received wisdom in economics and finance is based on not reading

Telluric Whistler has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Mar 10, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/heavygoldbag/status/1767345278611251563

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

They're right. Nobou didn't grow up with video games either.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

room temperature take really

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Colonel Cancer posted:

room temperature take really

yeah, that's not even a mild take. like i enjoy video games, but they are just media consumption with mostly lovely production methods and mild takes within the games themselves

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No movie will be as good as dwarf fortress at making funny goobers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HenshiG/status/1767637318062539089?t=s71Z7VMa6KHvxesvxp29bQ&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/sxsw/status/1767632975921909959?t=jwg5qf70Z8CROf-hQy50ag&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
drat that's pathetic. I was already very onboard with all the Irish bands boycotting SxSW at great personal expense... but this just makes me think that should be a permanent boycott unless the entire management resigns

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

said no mother to their son, ever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat that's pathetic. I was already very onboard with all the Irish bands boycotting SxSW at great personal expense... but this just makes me think that should be a permanent boycott unless the entire management resigns

What's the irish connection? I'm p ignorant on sxsw.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the irish connection? I'm p ignorant on sxsw.

As a recently colonized nation, a portion of which is still living under settler-colonialism, the Irish generally take a very firm stance on Israel-Palestine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh I assume that's what the organizers came out in favor of? I figured the company was making bombs or something so I wasn't too far off

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

What about a stick and hoop? Also a waste?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
These people legit think games are all Pong and Tetris.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I mean Tetris is the best video game ever made, we really shoulda just stopped after that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Any leisure is a waste of time. Relaxing is for chumps who don't have the 25/8 Sigma Grindset.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I mean I do think a lot of aspiring capitalists would be better off and less harmful if they were just given a lifetime subscription to EVE or something

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

These people legit think games are all Pong and Tetris.

they're righgt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

StashAugustine posted:

I mean I do think a lot of aspiring capitalists would be better off and less harmful if they were just given a lifetime subscription to EVE or something

Something's been said about the appeal of MMOs basically being 'non-alienated labour'.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

they're righgt

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Someone show Jeff bezos cookie clicker

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

they're righgt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chamale posted:

Any leisure is a waste of time. Relaxing is for chumps who don't have the 25/8 Sigma Grindset.

Lookit dis noob who only has 25 hours in a day

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Video games AREN'T for children?!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

someone name a game where the story is actually good and it hasn't been ripped off of something else where it was done infinitely better

kojima is cheating

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

dark souls 2

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Large Testicles posted:

someone name a game where the story is actually good and it hasn't been ripped off of something else where it was done infinitely better

Tetris

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Large Testicles posted:

kojima is cheating

Alpha Protocol

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Party Boat posted:

dark souls 2

souls games are for psycopaths

fun game, no story. pure leisure.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alpha Protocol

haven't played it, can't comment

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

kojima is cheating

final fantasy 7

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Large Testicles posted:

kojima is cheating

duke nukem 3d

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alpha Protocol

It's so loving good and tom heck is the greatest character in any game

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Steven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

kojima is cheating

disco elysium