Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What chocobo equipment is best in the races? Obviously varies somewhat by the track, but some still seem better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What chocobo equipment is best in the races? Obviously varies somewhat by the track, but some still seem better than others.

The best is going to be the Hyperion Gear but that's the prize for finishing the hardest stuff. Before that is probably Mecha Chocobo.

Otherwise it depends a lot of track and Chocobo choice. I personally found the jumping/flying (I think Green?) Chocobo to be easy mode but YMMV

Edit: To me the green is best because their jump thing charges quickly and lasts for a while and pretty much nullifies any serious danger. In particular it trivializes the closing door thing which is otherwise probably the most run-ruining thing in the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 14, 2024

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ytlaya posted:

I keep using the yellow chocobo because speed boost is a great ability. I think now I’m running treasure hunter gear but before whatever had my acceleration and speed high. I never bothered with battling, just pure performance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ytlaya posted:

Cowboy hat and Shinra shirt/pants. Never lost a race and I'm about to do the last bunch. Going fast and punting other birds into walls/gates/obstacles can't be beaten.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IImrgaBj1SU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I always use the Blue chocobo with the mystic set since it maxes out weight and top speed or close enough, and also I want to reserve the right to purple shell anyone who passes me

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I used water Chocobo and chose whatever gear maxed his acceleration, which probably was the wrong call since I didn’t stop all that often, but whatever headpiece I had gave me an extra boost at the start. I tried maxing speed once and it just made me waaaay too fast and made cornering a nightmare, leading to me falling off the track, defeating the point

That was enough to pretty quickly pull into the lead, and if I hosed up enough that anyone passed me, I could red shell them and take my lead back

What’s nice about the red shell is you can actually fully charge it twice and have two in the chamber ready to go

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Issaries posted:

FF7remake on PC has the best mods:

Two good quality dad puns and a top tier one.

OK yeah, Glide de Chocobo does kinda suck. But for some reason I can't explain I'm finding it less aggravating than some of the other mini games?

I'm on a chocobo. You're on a chocobo!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thundarr posted:

Two good quality dad puns and a top tier one.

OK yeah, Glide de Chocobo does kinda suck. But for some reason I can't explain I'm finding it less aggravating than some of the other mini games?

I'm on a chocobo. You're on a chocobo!

the problem with glide is very specifically the high score on the last one, I can't believe that poo poo got through QA

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Glide de Chocobo is just so loving slow and feels like poo poo on top of that. It's in stark contrast to Chocobo racing which is legit fun and cool.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Glide is right down in the dumpster with Crunches.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crunches are better tbh

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

the fact that people can even compare glide to crunches tells me they didn't try to highscore glide 4 and are speaking from a place of ignorance

e: glide 3

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 14, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

the fact that people can even compare glide to crunches tells me they didn't try to highscore glide 4 and are speaking from a place of ignorance

wait what, there's a glide four?!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Let's make a slow rear end gliding game where you cant move the camera, but to compensate the worst character of the game will sing a song about being on a chocobo sometimes.

I've finally reached chapter 11 after backtracking a bit and lemme add chocobo wrangling to horrible minigames. They're not extremely difficult or long but just super annoying, stop forcing stealth sections into games!!

Blue chocobo owns tho, I'm hovering aroubd everywhere. I do wonder where the "choco jet" is coming from tho..

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I just use the yellow chocobo with the kyrie hat so it’s like I get to use all of them. The ai is not very good at this basic Mario kart

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One good thing about glide is you can just watch a YouTube and replicate the run, making it simple.

Crunches are not like this lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

they want shady posted:

wait what, there's a glide four?!

Please god, tell me that was a mistake

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I didn't even bother max-scoring the three I found because it was too much torture.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Son of Rodney posted:

Let's make a slow rear end gliding game where you cant move the camera, but to compensate the worst character of the game will sing a song about being on a chocobo sometimes.

I've finally reached chapter 11 after backtracking a bit and lemme add chocobo wrangling to horrible minigames. They're not extremely difficult or long but just super annoying, stop forcing stealth sections into games!!

Blue chocobo owns tho, I'm hovering aroubd everywhere. I do wonder where the "choco jet" is coming from tho..

Choco magic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love that anything related to stunting on a Chocobo is [stunt] de Chocobo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JBP posted:

One good thing about glide is you can just watch a YouTube and replicate the run, making it simple.

Crunches are not like this lol.

Glide 3 (sorry, not 4, my mistake) is not simple to replicate, there's some frame/pixel perfect poo poo at the very end

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Also blue chocobo is the best by a country mile because the ability lets you cut corners without losing speed or even hover over gaps in the track, it isn't just for avoiding water or obstacles. You should be winning every race by 10+ seconds once you know where the shortcuts are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Glide 3 (sorry, not 4, my mistake) is not simple to replicate, there's some frame/pixel perfect poo poo at the very end

Eh after seeing someone else do it it is much easier to pull off, but yeah. Either way there's no loving chance I was going to spend time working it out myself.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Complaining about crunches is gonna have nothing on the complaining people are gonna do about hard mode simulator missions when they start getting to them in the next few weeks

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://youtu.be/wdZMqxVI5vs?si=qXA-oftWabMGeOOi

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gears and Gambits was a kind of annoying minigame. I shamelessly let the AI set the gambits for the last two stages.

It seems like the main mistake I made for a while is that it's best to be very offensive. The key to winning the third match for me was to just spam a bunch of low-cost guys with missiles. And in the final one I'd spam whoever the boss was weak against in a lane with no enemies, so they'd just head directly to the boss and damage it. Otherwise they just blow their strongest attacks on other enemies.

Before this I tried to be fancy with making my own high-HP healer/buffer guys, but this seemed kinda pointless and ineffective.

Speaking of the Cosmo Canyon Protorelic quest, the way Wedge died was kinda comical tbh; I actually thought he wasn't going to die due to how silly him falling looked, but then he landed in a pool of blood. Was his death ever confirmed in Remake itself? I remember you find him alive after the plate was dropped.

It's also kinda interestong that Biggs was transported to the other timeline but Wedge wasn't.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Issaries posted:

FF7remake on PC has the best mods:

lmao @ the Aerith one specifically

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's if you try to do it normally. It becomes much much easier if you double back after the double 500s before the final dive (you can actually grab the 300 ring too) to the balloons. Then from there it's much easier to time the final dive/ascent to have enough height for the goal ring 500s.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of the Cosmo Canyon Protorelic quest, the way Wedge died was kinda comical tbh; I actually thought he wasn't going to die due to how silly him falling looked, but then he landed in a pool of blood. Was his death ever confirmed in Remake itself? I remember you find him alive after the plate was dropped.

You see him get thrown out a skyscraper by the dang ghosts and the Cosmo Canyon scene is a direct continuation of that

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hyper Inferno posted:

That's if you try to do it normally. It becomes much much easier if you double back after the double 500s before the final dive (you can actually grab the 300 ring too) to the balloons. Then from there it's much easier to time the final dive/ascent to have enough height for the goal ring 500s.

:negative:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah trying a mix of fira and punisher stance counters (have tried sleep, regen, and haste a bunch too) I’m about 40 attempts deep and haven’t even killed one of them, this is just insanely frustrating

Even just blocking builds up ATB and Limit gauge.

I won the fight by doing stuff but also stalling using free heals from Chakra and I used Cross Slash 2 times in that fight. The second time it killed both dogs in one hit

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Up thru chapter 8 and I've been largely enjoying things but how they handled Dyne is something I just very genuinely hate, which sucks because that was a segment I was really looking forward to up until it actually happened. I don't know if they just got super loving squeamish about the idea of keeping it in line with the original, but it's hard for me to consider it as anything other than a dramatic downgrade.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

idle thought: Cloud being able to do the whole dance in FF7R1 but having only recently arrived in Midgar means this is probably a famous dance that he watched on video and canonically learned during his time in Shinra, practiced it with the troops.

It is the equivalent of a tiktok dance he learned.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Everyone in remake series is really good at dancing for some reason.

This explains so much

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Let the Battles Begin! on the piano... no thanks.

https://youtu.be/XeGs4G7M7b4?si=0_v_fEZOHPEfMmLn

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Trip Hazard posted:

I absolutely poo poo myself when his voice blasted out of my controller

I turned off the controller mic BC it was even harder to hear field info than usual but I'm the kind of dumb hick that loves having annoying characters talk to you via the controller so I'm sorry to everyone that hates it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If I'm at the dustbowl ATM and I've only done the piano minigame maybe three times? Have I missed any? There's tifas house in the kalm flashback, the one in costa del Sol and I want to say I did another one after that somewhere but I can't remember. It felt like the idea was introduced so early I was expecting it to be a lot more prevalent.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

Everyone in remake series is really good at dancing for some reason.

This explains so much

I'm bitterly disappointed it wasn't. It's all it needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Before going into the 300 ring and initiating the final dive, turn around and glide back to the vents to get a height boost, then go back and do the dive+swoop. That's it. That's the trick