Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I never even heard of elf on the shelf until I was in my 20s and it gives me the willies.

Probably because the age-old tradition is about 8 years old at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My kids were like “Why are there Elf on the Shelf’s for sale at CVS?”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Probably because the age-old tradition is about 8 years old at this point.

closer to 20.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

I honestly don't know how you get to be 13 and not know.

“If I stop believing I stop getting presents.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

Also explains Jesus.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

This was literally the reason our two youngest used for why they pretended to still believe around us.

Wildcattin' ain't easy but it is cheap.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

FizFashizzle posted:

See I don't think that was the case for him. He was very sincerely heartbroken and he cried. I don't know how he didn't know but the delusion was very real for him. They leaned real hard into the Elf on the Shelf in his household so who knows.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When you think of it, Santa represents the idea that you are so loved a stranger will give you gifts with the simple stipulation that you are "good."

Without Santa, can you be loved?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Its just seems really unlikely to not run into that on an episode of Family Guy or something.

Now I want to see a child who learns about Santa from one of the American Dad Christmas episodes where Santa is the antagonist, like “For Whom the Sleigh Bell Tolls”.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I still think about "because at 7 it's marginal" and laugh about once per week every week

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

See I don't think that was the case for him. He was very sincerely heartbroken and he cried. I don't know how he didn't know but the delusion was very real for him. They leaned real hard into the Elf on the Shelf in his household so who knows.

Another reason Elf on the Shelf is loving horrible. How do the parents not tell them before then? I'm not a parent and don't want to call other people bad parents when I have no experience, but I wonder about who goes along with it for that long?

I should mention I think I believed in Santa Claus longer than I believed in God.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It’s a lot harder to destroy the magic your children believe in than you’re making it seem. Especially when it’s harmless.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Being excited for Santa owned as a kid and I love my parents for keeping it fun. I think I stopped believing by about 7 or 8 but kept pretending for my little sister and brother.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Santa still brings me presents. Yes, I pay for them but it's the thought that counts

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Got bored and started working on that LEGO Republic Cruiser I posted other day

So started working on the interior
Original:

Wanted it to look more like a Star Destroyer bridge with pits and a walk way

What I came up with:

Filling in those angles was a bitch (mostly wanted to cover the underside plates and all the techinic stuff). Tons of strip downs and rebuilds to make everything fit. Gonna tweak it more but it’s like 85% there

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 14, 2024

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I pretended to keep believing until i was like 10 for my parents' sake. And one year my mom had to be like 'it's ok that you don't believe anymore, help me bring down the presents for your cousins'

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

a sexual elk posted:

Got bored and started working on that LEGO Republic Cruiser I posted other day

So started working on the interior
Original:

Wanted it to look more like a Star Destroyer bridge with pits and a walk way

What I came up with:

Filling in those angles was a bitch (mostly wanted to cover the underside plates and all the techinic stuff). Tons of strip downs and rebuilds to make everything fit. Gonna tweak it more but it’s like 85% there

I want the LEGO Titanic but it's nearly £600 and I also don't have anywhere to display it, let alone build it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I want the LEGO Titanic but it's nearly £600 and I also don't have anywhere to display it, let alone build it

You can always assemble it later. I got the massive Imperial Star Destroyer set before they retired it a few years ago and haven't touched it yet

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is probably the last Santa Claus year for my daughter (she’ll be 8 by then) but it’s been pretty fun for all involved—making excuses and coming up with explanations for the magic. I do have a twinge of guilt because honestly Santa has shades of surveillance in the same way the elf on a shelf does, but at least this is rooted in tradition somewhat.

The tooth fairy glass-by-the-sink idea is genius and I wish we’d thought of it, but we started doing the windowsill so “it’s easier for her to get in and out.” I’ve got a box of big silver dollars my parents used for me, so I’ve just been leaving one of those and then “buying” it off her in the morning—excuse being that the coins are very old. We leave some sequins around as fairy dust on the sill which is a nice touch from my wife.

I think I’ll miss these but if she pushes the questions much harder it’ll be time to tell her.

As far as the “not giving some elf the credit” we do something similar where the big ticket items are always from mom and dad. Santa gets the credit for less expensive stuff and stocking stuffers.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Got an email from my boss today that I’ve been doing a great job this year and he really appreciated my hard work so as a reward I’m getting a….2% merit increase.

What a joke

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Got an email from my boss today that I’ve been doing a great job this year and he really appreciated my hard work so as a reward I’m getting a….2% merit increase.

What a joke

CEO needs a third yacht, we are all just going to have to tighten our belts. I’m sure you understand.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gotta love the sub inflation raise

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

What a joke

Next year, do a lovely job and less work for a 1% raise.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m in sales so my base isn’t really what I’m living off. If this contract season goes the way I want it I’ll out earn my base 2x but a 2% raise presented as a thank you for doing a good job is such a “gently caress you” I’d almost rather not have it.

I wasn’t even aware we were up for merit increases, I wouldn’t have even noticed if he just didn’t even say anything.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Joey Freshwater posted:

What a joke

And I was happy that we're probably getting a 2% increase in my public sector job :sad: Originally they told us we were getting 0...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

What a joke

My company’s management just met the labor union demands* for the annual negotiations for the first time in a very long time, I’m very excited about that.

*major industrial companies in Japan has annual ‘spring talks’ where the union (everyone not team leads/managers, so including all the back-office and white collar staff) negotiate for the annual pay increases (before merit/promotion bumps) as well as the annual bonus rate (which is traditionally a huge part of the annual wage). Demands are generally coordinated across automotive.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Wages are fun.

EMS agencies tend to lean on Field Training Officers (FTOs) for a lot of direct feedback to training and operations folks, as well as for hands-on training for new EMTs and medics. This includes a lot of stuff you don’t really learn in class in any meaningful way (decision-tree type considerations for treatment, admin poo poo, paperwork, etc). It depends on department, but typically this is an endorsement you get through increased competency assessment and experience. For example, my last FTO endorsement required a medical exam with 95% grade, medical interview and scenarios with medical director and training. This came with no pay increase because, honestly, the only thing asked of you was to take on new hires or remediation cases as needed, and an organization needs people to do so.

Well, I was an FTO at two agencies over ~10yrs—both unpaid—and I enjoyed it!

My current org had around 12 medic FTOs with anywhere from 10 to 25yrs of experience in the position when they decided they had a ~*~*~GREAT IDEA~*~*~

Pay increases for the endorsement! For that 3%, you were required to do a minimum of 10 clinical chart reviews per shift (we are busy as poo poo on-shift, mind you), be available for additional off duty training days, and one other things.

For background, we bid for our shift assignment every 6months and there are a variety of shifts available—lengths, days, start times. They are assigned by seniority. Shift bid is a big deal because it’s the only manner of control we have over our work (and honestly, home) lives.

Well, the other thing was they wanted to force FTOs to restrict themselves to 6 specific shift times, all of which were awful start times.

All of that for 3%? No way. Basically all of us revoked our endorsements and we have like 4 FTOs with hardly any experience. They’ve had to turf those responsibilities to captains and higher.

In short, management does not give the slightest poo poo what message or downstream unintended effects will come from this. I’m sure the 3% was on a PowerPoint for my boss’s yearly review for why they needed more money.

gently caress all masters.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

2% merit is such a “gently caress you”. Did you get a CoL raise too?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

At least for me, the 2% is our COLA... well, merit + cola, :laffo:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

2% merit is such a “gently caress you”. Did you get a CoL raise too?

Hahahahhaha

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My friends bailed on our weekly hike today so I took my housemate's dog out for a stroll. Well, what do you know? A Starbucks is along the route…

Pupperchinos for such a good girl.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My old job we didn’t get any raises or CoLA for like ten years because the state started stiffing counties on tax revenue after the GFC and the county just said gently caress all the employees the shortfall will fall on them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSKp_pwmOA
IMO the original was such a perfect time capsule of the 90's, including the music.

I have no idea how this will work.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't want to judge based on the trailer, but right now, that movie looks like it's going to suck. Maybe I'm just too in love with the original though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
without the rose colored glasses the original kinda sucked too tbh

the only reason I still like it is because it's so 90s

e: the main character is named Eric Draven lmao

Devil's Night. Top Dollar. It's all so lame that it's endearing, but only to people of a certain age group probably

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 14, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the original is campy enough, a new one is gonna be bad unless it goes aggressively aggressively over the top and I don't see Jared Leto in there, so....

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I actually think the Crow should be remade every ten years with an emphasis on the soundtrack being the emo/goth music of the era.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't want to judge based on the trailer, but right now, that movie looks like it's going to suck. Maybe I'm just too in love with the original though.

the original is also super campy/kinda sucked. i get why it's held where it is because of how it encapsulates it time.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There is almost no way The Crow doesn't suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m sure this is fine