Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Eiba posted:

this seems like it's pure fiddly annoying 'horror' in a context that will never be scary.

I'm excited about the expansion not because I think it will scare me, but because my pawns will be scared, and I get a kick out of them making GBS threads their pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Seen on the Workshop page for Wall Light.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To not just grumble about a minor feature, I am actually super stoked about horror expansion for Rimworld. I always thought that the whole "crashlanded onto alien, inhospitable planet" scenario just naturally leans into horror and fear of the unknown and I always loved mods that focused on that aspect, like Rimworld of Madness. So having a whole rear end official expansion that focuses on it is pretty great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The expansion looks kickass, someone who looks at one of those sweet flamethrowers and goes "no thanks" is not a person with good opinions

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
imo if you turn off both mechanoids and bugs you're a coward. turning off one or the other is fine. i'll also shoutout just minimally managing wealth and turning the difficulty slider down a level or two if you want to have a significantly easier time with both of those without just disabling them entirely

(and you're not a coward, that's just hyperbole)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mechanoids are just a real kick in the dick unless you've got some decent guns, then they're just extremely dangerous. IDK how a pre-gunpowder village is supposed to fight off murder robots. Plate armor and greatbows?!

Even the sleeper strength of the tribal start, brain powers, are significantly reduced against mechanoids.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Back when plasteel spears were very good against mechanoids you could reasonably put plate armored melee fighters with spears up against a mechanoids and come out okay. Since the great spear nerf that hasn't been the case and fighting them pre-gunpowder is just unpleasant to me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I keep mechanoids on but disable pod clusters because oh god they're so unfun to deal with that I used to reload my save to not deal with them

Infestations I turn off because I'm a weenie

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Secure, Contain, Exterminate, Protect. You are not alone, and safe.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i keep mechanoids on but if i'm not in the mood i devkill some or all of them

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Centipede x 40

*sighs and turns on dev mode*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lt. Lizard posted:

To not just grumble about a minor feature, I am actually super stoked about horror expansion for Rimworld. I always thought that the whole "crashlanded onto alien, inhospitable planet" scenario just naturally leans into horror and fear of the unknown and I always loved mods that focused on that aspect, like Rimworld of Madness. So having a whole rear end official expansion that focuses on it is pretty great.

I am SUPER ON BOARD for a fresh horror flavored colony, I had enormous fun with the old Cults mod
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3598337&pagenumber=451&perpage=40#post479638209

e: this was pretty much my favorite colony of all time, it was so pretty and interesting

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 14, 2024

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

The amount of times I've been in the middle of something fun, had seven million tribals show up to raid me, and just dev mode -> force flee

like no not right now my power plant is almost online I've been working on this for hours

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I generally avoid devkill but I will dev immunity the inevitable plague/malaria when you're on day 3 of your new colony.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

The like playing tribal starts, 5% research speed, 400% aging, 50% threat level, random start location, 1 colony max, and the events/Factions I turn off are:

Neanderthals
Mechanoids
Infestations
Blights
Short Circuits
Solar Flare
Mad Animals
Mechanite diseases

By the time I can build the ship, I've had about 3-5 generations go by and usually make about the same number of bases as they get destroyed and I move around the map.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Eiba posted:

Because getting to that point is an interesting challenge. And things could interact in ways that still mess up your theoretical perfect defenses. Food production is a pretty easily solvable problem, but it's still worth having in the game as another thing you need to maintain.

And anyway, the vanilla game is pretty good about making sure defense is never a 100% solved problem. But if you want to mod or change things so it can be solved, freeing you up to make a lovely little town, it still feels better knowing that your lovely little town is strong enough to survive anything the outside world can throw at it.

Sure but once you hit that point just turn raids off.

It's an extremely common complaint that when things interact/happen that ruin your theoretical perfect defense, then it is unfun and "well I couldn't prepare for it." See drop pods,insects, and mechanoid water emergence now.

I'm not saying Rimworld cant pull some bullshit (like getting raided by 20 people day 2 or whatever), but getting your guts torn out because people drop podded behind your single defensive kill box seems more like that should be teaching you a lesson about multiple defensive lines rather than the game being unfair.

Edit: Im mostly just bitching about people who basically want combat but with no sense of risk. Its pretty easy to game rimworld combat, and people fall into the trap of doing so and then when rimworld pulls something unexpected their defense collapses and half their colony burns down because of it.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 14, 2024

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Danaru posted:

I want to see more of the cube

It's a nice cube

here I found a better image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Mechanoids are just a real kick in the dick unless you've got some decent guns, then they're just extremely dangerous. IDK how a pre-gunpowder village is supposed to fight off murder robots. Plate armor and greatbows?!

Even the sleeper strength of the tribal start, brain powers, are significantly reduced against mechanoids.

Honestly melee is the answer, most mechanoids crumble under even a mediocre melee combatant. Even after the spear nerf. Scythers are the exception but they have paper thin armor and greatbows will kill them fine, plus their higher move speed means you can draw them away from everything else

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You know the expansions still follow the pattern even if the "official" names don't, right?

Royalty
Ideology
Mechanators & Mutants
Weirdos~

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

LonsomeSon posted:

Melee, blunt weapons are good through armor, just get out of their field of fire and ambush them around corners is probably the safest way. Maybe throwing tons of smoke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the sound of the expansion because it seems like it adds stuff that isn't just "what if we threw a giant pile of robots or bodies at you" (except for the literal pile of bodies)

I don't enormously like raid scaling so more threats that aren't just sheer volume of enemies, things that are interesting to deal with, that's appealing.

Also while the game itself isn't going to scare me, the appeal of horror flavoured stuff is that it fits with putting your colonists under stress and also the possibility of building spooky themed bases. Same fun as building a vampire doom fortress with biotech. A containment and research facility is an interesting challenge architecturally.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 14, 2024

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Really looking forward to The Cube In Yellow

Also I appreciate him just coming out and admitting that he watched Cabin in the Woods and wanted to make a game out of it, lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I look forward to narrowly defeating an eldritch horror spilling flesh beasts only to lose to a manhunter pack of 20 yorkies

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
All hail the Forever Game.

I can't wait to gently caress up that giant fleshmat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gadzuko posted:

Really looking forward to The Cube In Yellow

Also I appreciate him just coming out and admitting that he watched Cabin in the Woods and wanted to make a game out of it, lol

Not even going to pretend, I was kinda interested until he said that, now I'm REAL interested

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Okay wasn't expecting them to go THIS hard on a horror angle but hell I'm here for it. Plus drat, all those QoL changes in 1.5 are great.

I love Tynan's continued policy of saying nothing until a month out from release. Unfortunate that all other games will be forgotten when Eiyuden Chronicle drops a couple weeks later, but RibAorld will still be here when I emerge from the recruitment mines.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Doltos posted:

I look forward to narrowly defeating an eldritch horror spilling flesh beasts only to lose to a manhunter pack of 20 yorkies

It would be cool if you get a raid/manhunter event that gets interrupted by a horror just suddenly showing up and totally ripping through them.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

It could be a fun faction event for big hostile faction group to enter your map and it looks like a raid, but it turns out they are fleeing some horror and they'll temporarily turn friendly if you help kill it. If you succeed and they leave the map you get +relations with the faction.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

If you're getting big mechanoid raids early on as a tribal with spears and furs then something has definitely gone wrong in your preparations. Unless you're on the highest difficulties in which case that's kind of the point. :v:

Smaller early raids of pikemen and scythers aren't a big deal. As already noted, pikemen fold to a stiff breeze in melee and while their needle gun has long range it doesn't really do that much damage (outside of a lucky brain shot but, Rimworld!) and it fires slowly so you can just rush them down with clubs. Scythers are a lot riskier but a bruiser or three in plate armor can survive in melee for a while and you can use choke points to get a three-to-one beatdown going while the ranged pepper them. You don't even need walls, just retreat into a random building and hold the door open while they come to you.

Lancers and Centipedes early on are... trickier. Lancers aren't much tougher than pikemen but they can and will blow limbs and heads off while you try to close on them, best you can do is get out of LOS and hope they close I'm rather than shoot at your walls. Centipedes are a potential disaster at the tribal level but a handful are still doable if you can get people in melee range quickly. Unlike pikemen and scythers they actually do dangerous amounts of melee damage and they have absurd armor and health, but one guy getting beat on is a lot safer than having the things set the entire map on fire or cut down half your colony in a single charge shot volley.

Ironically the biggest risk for tribal/medieval level colonies I've found are Militor raids of all things. Low-tech enemies are kind of the optimal targets for the things since the shotguns do surprising amounts of damage against weaker armor and they come in large numbers so you can't safely lock them down in melee. Best I've managed is hoping you have a few good greatbow archers (or a looted bolt-action rifle or two) engage them at range and plink down enough of them before the group gets into shotgun range. Fortunately they're individually weak and short range so even bows can potentially take several down.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
DLC looks fine, im not too into lovecraftian horror but the 1.5 update looks sick, extremely hype for the rendering performance updates so I can keep playing this game like it's an RTS

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I expect this to be kickass. I thought royalty was lackluster but they added so much more than just those systems that even if I touch no horror, I'm bound to find some nice improvements.

Also jetskiraidbots bring it the gently caress on

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mzbundifund posted:

Don’t understand people who aren’t into the cube, tbh

Now updated for 1.5!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The odd thing about mechanoid water raids is that apparently they can spawn from any water, so if you have a pond it might be full of infinite mechanoids.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol how about cave water
e: jumping into 1.5 :confuoot:
thrilling to look at 13 or so pages of mods and just hit UNSUBSCRIBE ALL without a care in the world :confuoot:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 14, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Having a nice swim in the pool, when suddenly a centipede emerges…

The problem with raids in Rimworld is in the scaling. If you aren't gaming colony wealth in some way you quickly get raids that require cheesy fortifications to combat, and raids have gained equally cheesy methods of countering those. It's an arms race. And it's moving further and further away from the type of combat encounter that's actually fun: a bunch of firing positions with sandbags, a few traps, and trying to flank enemy positions with melee.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Oh hell yeah, I need to hurry up and finish my current colony.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Having a nice swim in the pool, when suddenly a centipede emerges…

The problem with raids in Rimworld is in the scaling. If you aren't gaming colony wealth in some way you quickly get raids that require cheesy fortifications to combat, and raids have gained equally cheesy methods of countering those. It's an arms race. And it's moving further and further away from the type of combat encounter that's actually fun: a bunch of firing positions with sandbags, a few traps, and trying to flank enemy positions with melee.

You can change scaling however you want in the game start options. You can set a cap, reduce the rate, remove wealth scaling entirely and change it to purely time or whatever.

isndl
May 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The odd thing about mechanoid water raids is that apparently they can spawn from any water, so if you have a pond it might be full of infinite mechanoids.

I was thinking it would be enabling map edges with water as a raid source so coastal tiles weren't an easy way to control enemy approaches, but maybe it's like infestations instead? I guess there's always the unstable beta to find out.

Flesh Forge posted:

e: jumping into 1.5 :confuoot:
thrilling to look at 13 or so pages of mods and just hit UNSUBSCRIBE ALL without a care in the world :confuoot:

I did that for 1.3 and realized it was a mistake after deciding I wanted a couple things back but couldn't remember exactly which mod did it or what it was called. :shepicide:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

You can change scaling however you want in the game start options. You can set a cap, reduce the rate, remove wealth scaling entirely and change it to purely time or whatever.

you can actually change it post start if you want to (storyteller options) but it will behave wonky for a while until if evens out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
Looking at the full patch notes now that I have some time...

quote:

When downed, humans still capable of manipulation can now crawl on the ground instead of being fully incapacitated.
Crawling colonists leave blood trails, move away from danger, and will seek out the nearest place to recover, like a hospital bed or sleeping spot. Enemies can crawl too.

Does this mean legless prisoners can feed themselves now? Can they attempt a prison break by crawling? Guess we'll find out! Should be a buff to low pawn count colonies if they can also self-tend while downed.

quote:

Added an option to make colonists’ moods on the colonist bar much more visible. They change color and glow when below mental break thresholds.
New pawns will always be placed to the right side of the colonist bar.
Allow targeting via the colonist bar.

Big buffs to the colonist bar! Probably can retire whichever one I'm using now.

quote:

Death-on-downed chance now applies to non damage health state changes.

No more ovens to capture entire raids it looks like. Gonna need to see if it applies to shock lances too or if trying to preserve high value pawns might as well be impossible without moving the storyteller slider.

quote:

Infestations now refund/minify any buildings they destroy.

Pretty big buff to mountain colonies, your fancy throne room won't get completely demolished anymore. If it applies to deep drill infestations as well that removes some of the micro there too.

quote:

Fires produce light.

Sounds good but maybe makes fires even more of a performance killer? Unless there have been big changes to the lighting engine on the back end, which may be true given the horror theme of the new DLC and darkness playing into a lot of horror media.

quote:

Added new virtual relationship record system. Maintains relationship information without bloating save files.

Don't know how that works but sounds good!

quote:

Pawn rendering is now multithreaded.
Added a new super-fast dynamic thing culling system.

Big colonies rejoice!