Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Well that's something, first time AppLab has outperformed PSVR2 on a game we released. It's kind of weird since AppLab is where games go to die, but maybe there are exceptions (right, Lemming?)

Last week we released Stilt, a swedish-finnish collaboration effort and also a kickass retro platformer. All the ~50 reviews are exactly at 5 stars. Since Meta's reich-like gatekeeping of the official store is killing us indies off, I hope this is the one to make it.

If this one doesn't make it, then gently caress it, I'm back to sniffing fentanyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kharan posted:

Well that's something, first time AppLab has outperformed PSVR2 on a game we released. It's kind of weird since AppLab is where games go to die, but maybe there are exceptions (right, Lemming?)

Last week we released Stilt, a swedish-finnish collaboration effort and also a kickass retro platformer. All the ~50 reviews are exactly at 5 stars. Since Meta's reich-like gatekeeping of the official store is killing us indies off, I hope this is the one to make it.

If this one doesn't make it, then gently caress it, I'm back to sniffing fentanyl.

I plan to buy it, but I'm waiting 7 days because I clicked on the wrong referral key for Quest (I want the sweet 25% off discount!).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 13, 2024

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kharan posted:

Ooh, is that pogo stick locomotion? Looks great.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, Demeo Battles is great. VR needs less FPS and more board games. It’s so good at simulating sitting around a table and hanging out. Plus, no cleanup!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We played some Demeo and it was fun though I'm a little confused over what it gains being in VR as opposed to a normal flat game. There's not much presence to it and the interactions are slightly more awkward with touch controllers compared to a mouse. I could see a game that blended turn based tabletop mechanics into more of an immersive world being a more interesting engaging experience, but Demeo is removed and low detail enough that I don't think it would feel very different on a monitor. You don't even need VR to have a simulated player that exists in addition to the character they are controlling since the interactions are pretty minimal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Table of tales: Crooked Crown is more explicitly using the VR aspect, but it's not as long or full-featured as Demeo.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

We played some Demeo and it was fun though I'm a little confused over what it gains being in VR as opposed to a normal flat game. There's not much presence to it and the interactions are slightly more awkward with touch controllers compared to a mouse. I could see a game that blended turn based tabletop mechanics into more of an immersive world being a more interesting engaging experience, but Demeo is removed and low detail enough that I don't think it would feel very different on a monitor. You don't even need VR to have a simulated player that exists in addition to the character they are controlling since the interactions are pretty minimal.

Basically all the reasons why I’d rather play a board game with someone in real life over a PC version. The social aspect of being in a room (even virtually) with someone is vastly superior over normal game voice chat. It’s the same as poker - poker in VR is functionally a lot closer to sitting at a table in a poker room than playing online poker.

Also I think having the board splayed out in front of you is cool. Especially with AR turned on and it’s literally in my living room. It just feels more like playing a board game instead of another computer game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Table of tales: Crooked Crown is more explicitly using the VR aspect, but it's not as long or full-featured as Demeo.

It's also not a game as fun as Demeo, shamefully.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Without whatever tech is required to add facial movement details and maybe some body language to give more 'person' to the avatars this aspect of vr doesn't do much for me. The presence of a vr avatar doesn't feel dramatically different than a normal flat game avatar if everyone is just kinda hanging out :shrug: I do think when playing a game with more activity there is some real difference to vr vs flat presence for feeling like you are in a location with someone (like peaking around corners in a shooter or in a frantic melee) but in Demeo avatars just kinda spin and bump around so it didn't feel significant.

With my friend group now mostly spread out across the country I'm definitely looking forward to the day when vr stuff is closer to hanging out irl even if it's just for something like a poker night. As it is a webcam does that aspect better.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

FuzzySlippers posted:

Because table top looks cooler in 3D 360 VR than on a flat monitor and resembles the actual IRL experience more than flat. That simple. You get really caught up on pedantic stuff with VR from a lot your critique of VR experiences/games, very concerned about the "why is this in VR" as if it has to be an either/or. Does a flat game need to justify why its flat now that VR exists? It can be both if it works that way, and Demeo does which you point out. Its ability to function perfectly fine as a flat experience doesnt negate that when translated to VR it can elevate the presence of a table top experience for some simply based on the nature of adapting a traditionally physical experience to virtual. It doesnt always have to serve some grand design purpose, and even so presence is design.

I think youve mentioned it before so if your not fully physically comfortable in VR I get why youd be routinely measuring and analyzing like that though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

I feel like driving / flying is the single most obvious genre for VR, so it's a bit bewildering it doesn't dominate. Reduced motion sickness, best vantage point to take advantage of scale, controllers are less immersion breaking etc.

It might not on stand alone, but a ton of sim enthusiasts use PCVR for flight and racing. More than triple screens by some surveys I've seen.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

Without whatever tech is required to add facial movement details and maybe some body language to give more 'person' to the avatars this aspect of vr doesn't do much for me. The presence of a vr avatar doesn't feel dramatically different than a normal flat game avatar if everyone is just kinda hanging out :shrug: I do think when playing a game with more activity there is some real difference to vr vs flat presence for feeling like you are in a location with someone (like peaking around corners in a shooter or in a frantic melee) but in Demeo avatars just kinda spin and bump around so it didn't feel significant.

It’s funny, “hanging out” is probably my favorite thing to do in VR. Hanging out doesn’t make you sick, it doesn’t break the game, it doesn’t bump up against the limitations of VR as much as games that try to do a lot.

Re: driving/flying - Aircar is still the best VR game, don’t @ me

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, I think a VR game does kinda have to justify the bother of the VR headset. I know everyone has different comfort levels with vr, but it's hard to imagine anyone feeling completely at ease with the weight/awkwardness of the current headsets (well maybe not with a Bigscreen Beyond if it's as comfy as it looks) even if they are dramatically better than the heavier and more awkward headsets of yore. There's still a bother threshold that experiences have to overcome for me.

You might be reading me as harsher than I intend. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's vr parade, I am just confused sometimes on things that people sing the praises of very enthusiastically (Demeo is probably only second to Walkabout for being a highly praised casual VR multiplayer game) when I find them mediocre. I'm happy to accept some things I'm just out of step on (like vrchat) especially if it's related to just bein old, but I'm always curious why exactly people respond so strongly to something as sometimes I can manage to wrap my head around it eventually. Walkabout I got immediately because golf takes advantage of the motion controls and the actual environments look great and are fun to inhabit.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Demeo is cool because playing it flatscreen isn't special and playing a physical board game with actual 3D walls and floors and poo poo are cool as gently caress until you have to build and play around them (And then there's storing it too).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

PatentPending posted:

I'm surprised by the lack of non-realistic VR racers - like Slipstream 5000, Star Wars Pod Racer, Wipeout, stuff like that.

I bought Redout, which looked like VR Wipeout, but it seems they got rid of its VR option? Well, it showed up once and was broken and the second time I played it didn't even try. I saw one project for Pod Racer, good for them and all but I'd have thought some kind of ridiculous sci-fi racer would have been the first thing on anyone's list of stuff to build/buy.

I really don't want to shoot people, so basically I'm just playing mini-golf at the moment. Walkabout is great btw, really good purchase.

Check out V-Racer Hoverbike

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668430/VRacer_Hoverbike/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Saw this article and realized it could kick rear end for VR:

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/future-ford-vehicles-may-be-used-as-video-game-controllers/

A lot of newer vehicles are steer-by-wire and drive-by-wire, which means the steering wheel wheel and pedals aren't physically connected to anything mechanically. The steering wheel even has it's own "force feedback" motors in it. So if the car is turned off in your garage, why not let the wheel and pedals connect to a Quest 3 over bluetooth? Would save money/space/material vs a racing rig and be way heavier duty. Might have a longer warranty too!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Immersed keeps pushing their Visor headset and to my knowledge there are no actual pictures of the unit let alone any indication it actually exists or works. It's supposedly shipping middle of this year.

I'll be delighted to eat my words but I smell a doomed project backed by deep pocket investment that is discovering the hard way you can't just slap cash on the table and expect to crank out a consumer electronic product from a reference design. Developing hardware is a lot like software in that it's a long process of surfacing bugs and solving problems. Except every time you hit compile it takes weeks and costs a fat stack of cash. It's such a huge deal that of they had it, they'd show it.

Anyway I'll be happy to eat my words but I think Lynx is closer to shipping headsets than Immersed is. (And Lynx is not looking good)

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Oh that looks neat; thanks! Sounds like it's been abandoned (last update Oct 2021) but from the videos it looks like what's already there is definitely worth a punt.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Very amazed someone has not knocked off Mario Kart for VR.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Zero VGS posted:

Saw this article and realized it could kick rear end for VR:

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/future-ford-vehicles-may-be-used-as-video-game-controllers/

A lot of newer vehicles are steer-by-wire and drive-by-wire, which means the steering wheel wheel and pedals aren't physically connected to anything mechanically. The steering wheel even has it's own "force feedback" motors in it. So if the car is turned off in your garage, why not let the wheel and pedals connect to a Quest 3 over bluetooth? Would save money/space/material vs a racing rig and be way heavier duty. Might have a longer warranty too!

Really realistic feedback in this game! Those sirens sound great

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beastie posted:

Not for lack of trying, there's a ton on the store. I downloaded the demo for Touring Karts on the quest ages ago but never got around to trying it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Immersed keeps pushing their Visor headset and to my knowledge there are no actual pictures of the unit let alone any indication it actually exists or works. It's supposedly shipping middle of this year.

I'll be delighted to eat my words but I smell a doomed project backed by deep pocket investment that is discovering the hard way you can't just slap cash on the table and expect to crank out a consumer electronic product from a reference design. Developing hardware is a lot like software in that it's a long process of surfacing bugs and solving problems. Except every time you hit compile it takes weeks and costs a fat stack of cash. It's such a huge deal that of they had it, they'd show it.

Anyway I'll be happy to eat my words but I think Lynx is closer to shipping headsets than Immersed is. (And Lynx is not looking good)

It's all classic startup bluster to juice their SPAC thing that they're setting up to go public.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Really realistic feedback in this game! Those sirens sound great

This would result in so many driveway DUIs.

Real question:

Is there any clarity about what is supposed to happen with devices that require WMR to work once MS ends support? Microsoft's initial answer was "don't update Windows", but aside from it being a bad idea, it's not even possible to do permanently. My Reverb G2 isn't great and wasn't expensive, but it will still suck to have a $250 paperweight (and no replacement for the foreseeable future).

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 14, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah, I was happy to see someone pursuing slimmer units in a glasses form factor, but they do seem to promising the moon even if they were an experienced manufacturer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tropico VR, for Quest!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGadyp9Q6Ms

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't put any referrals in a while, so have here one for Swarm 2 and another for Uboat

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/5791805387504648/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=2&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/4028925843825801/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=2&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've had a 3rd party Quest 3 halo strap for a few days now. the brand is KKCOBVR and the design is similar if not almost identical to the Bobo M3 Pro.

Overall it's definitely an improvement over the stock strap. The pressure has migrated to the top of my head, which is definitely more comfortable than my orbital bones in my opinion. I can keep it on longer without feeling horrible. The quest is a little more jiggly when it's kind of hovering in front of my eyes, but I can always clamp the facial interface down if I want to do a workout or something high energy.

It's still not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I think that's just the reality of HMDs - you are strapping something to your head. Until these things get more light weight it's going to be a little uncomfortable.

The really cool thing is taking the facial interface off completely for AR stuff - you suddenly have your peripheral vision and the passthrough (while not the best quality) isn't warped or weird. It's just a grainier continuation of your vision.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think people who have a quest and a halo style strap (like the bobo) should try removing the facial interface and then finding a comfortable way to wear the headset. Without a facial interface you can't just crank down to get it stable and need to find the right positioning to wear it more like a hat. Then when you add back the facial interface you are just trying to find the right light blocking instead of cushioning the weight of the headset. Ideally the cushion of the interface is mostly irrelevant.

Looking at some pics of people wearing halo style straps I can see sometimes they aren't actually putting the weight on the strap but are cranking the tightening knob so the headset clamps to their face like a normal tension strap. It may be why some people find halo straps so uncomfortable since you've just added a lot of bullshit weight while still putting the pressure on your face. I'm not in love with the awkward bulk of the halo style, but I think heavy clamping force on your face really sucks so I hope people come up with alternative vr strap designs eventually. It's a shame that Apple for all the money presumably it spent on research just ended up with the same kind of strapped on goggles.

I clamp it down, but if I don't, it swings side to side when I turn my head, which I find really annoying and a little nauseating. How do you mitigate that?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beastie posted:

Touring Karts basically did that.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Making knock-offs of big Nintendo games like Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Pokemon always seems to be a bit of a fraught endeavor, because even if you nail the gameplay you'll probably still be compared to Nintendo's IP and charisma and be found lacking.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

chippy posted:

I clamp it down, but if I don't, it swings side to side when I turn my head, which I find really annoying and a little nauseating. How do you mitigate that?

The rear pad should be tight, but it has to be quite low on the head where it meets your neck. That's where the tension is between the top pad on top of your head and the neck strap to anchor it. You can also adjust the angle of the headset to the strap (it can require a bit of force to rotate if it's still factory stiff) and make sure it's angled straight down so it's floating in front of your face instead of resting on your cheeks since you don't want the force pressing down on your face. The battery counterweight on the neckstrap helps achieve this too.

I suffer from a lot of neck pain in general, but this setup is as comfortable as I've found with a VR headset. It feels like there could be alternative vr strap designs to the basic two we have (face tension cranking elite/stock style or big awkward halo) but I haven't seen them. When you remove the straps and facial interface the Q3 really isn't that heavy it's just a question of balancing that weight some place pretty awkward like near your eyes. It's a shame we can't easily remove the internal battery to make it even lighter and rely on the bigger battery attached to the neck cushion but that requires you to basically disassemble the whole thing. Or hell move most of the components elsewhere and have it attached to the glasses via cable. That minimal weight of the other components resting nearly anywhere (arm strap, fanny pack, etc) else wouldn't feel like much of anything, but on your face/forehead the weight sucks.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 16, 2024

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Snackmar posted:

I feel like this isn't getting talked about enough:

It's rad as hell and I spent a whole hour on just these tracks the other day.

Oh poo poo! I enjoyed beat saber but never bought it because I didn't think there was any music I would be into, time to finally buy it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Whoa the Flatscreen to VR disco people are now officially a dev team that will be doing the mod work to bring pancake games to VR to sell in the Meta store and Steam as official releases. They teased an upcoming game they've already working on to release later this year(ish) but all they could say was the game went viral

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Whoa the Flatscreen to VR disco people are now officially a dev team that will be doing the mod work to bring pancake games to VR to sell in the Meta store and Steam as official releases. They teased an upcoming game they've already working on to release later this year(ish) but all they could say was the game went viral

I hope it isn’t pal world

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So what are the flat screen games with proper VR mods that are worth picking up on sale? I’m gonna define proper mod as good custom motion controls for the specific game to avoid listing every UE game usable with the generic mod or every flight/driving sim. Here’s what I know of:

Half Life 2 plus its episodes
Jedi Knight Academy / Outcast
Outer Wilds
RTCW
Xwing Alliance and Tie Fighter (they have motion controls in addition to usual hotas)

I’m not sure how many of these Team Beef ports are Quest only aside from HL1

Half Life 1 (the pcvr version is supposed to be buggy)
Quake 1/2/3
Prey (the old shooter not the immersive sim)
Doom 1/2/3

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Mechwarrior 5 has a VR mod (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsvt2ssspwM) which is pretty decent.

There's a VR mod for Kerbal Space Program too, but it's limited to IVA view. Still fun to use for a bit.

Oh and Morrowind has one too via OpenMW.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, other than that there's a bunch of VR ports/hybrids (Skyrim, Subnautica, NMS, Borderlands 2, Tabletop Simulator, ARK: Survival Evolved [is jank], Fallout 4, X: Rebirth, Star Wars Squadrons, Elite, MSFS and a bunch of other sims, etc.) but that's not what you're asking.

e: Oh right Garry's mod has a VR mod as well, but it's pretty janky too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 16, 2024

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

FuzzySlippers posted:

So what are the flat screen games with proper VR mods that are worth picking up on sale? I’m gonna define proper mod as good custom motion controls for the specific game to avoid listing every UE game usable with the generic mod or every flight/driving sim. Here’s what I know of:

Half Life 2 plus its episodes
Jedi Knight Academy / Outcast
Outer Wilds
RTCW
Xwing Alliance and Tie Fighter (they have motion controls in addition to usual hotas)

I’m not sure how many of these Team Beef ports are Quest only aside from HL1

Half Life 1 (the pcvr version is supposed to be buggy)
Quake 1/2/3
Prey (the old shooter not the immersive sim)
Doom 1/2/3

Not necessarily a mod, but PAYDAY 2 has an official VR mode which is pretty great and has loads of content.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hitman has a VR mode and it's properly silly fun.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I didn't see it in your list so mentioning it as well, Team Beef also has a Duke 3D port (works for other games in the same engine too), but it might be quest only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Zosologist posted:

I hope it isn’t pal world

Given that it sounds like it has to be something that could run on Quest, my money is on Lethal Company.