Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i would guess that in theory using microwaves would mean less moving parts that could break/wear out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The Koalitsiya is pitched as using a microwave ignition system. FF, what does that actually mean? It sounds like some wunderwaffe brained thinking. What practical benefits does it have? Is it something the West has experimented with, or are they only enamored with trying to make liquid propellants work?

Also, my understanding is that barrel heat is the real limit to rate of fire, not loading, right? So a high fire rate gun isn't a fundamentally difficult challenge, you just need a good autoloader, but that doesn't mean you get to sustain that speed?

The ignition system is probably more about reliability than barrel heat/wear. That said, the Koalitsiya also has a quite a large 47-52 caliber gun by its nature is just going to act as a natural heat sink.

The MSTA-S can get up to 10 rounds a minute (this is a maximum as well), so it is very possible they resigned the gun to maximize heat dispersion. It does have a resigned barrel shroud at least compared to MSTA-S. There is just not a tremendous amount of info, but it really doesn't seem like some wunderwaffe magic versus having a larger gun with dual autoloader coupled with other contemporary features like digital fire control and the ability to use precision rounds. Also, it can only handle 60-70 rounds so there is a maximum number of times they are going to be able to fire period.

As for why the US project failed, it very well may be to get up to 58 caliber, a bunch of more compromises had to be made in mass and metallurgy that just didn't make it sustainable. They had working on the project for a while as well. I would actually be interested in a post-mortem in what went on.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Mar 14, 2024

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

drilldo squirt posted:

Tankies are fascists wearing the skin of a real communist killed in a Stalin purge. Thank you for reading.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm not reading all that.

lol

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Ardennes posted:

The ignition system is probably more about reliability than barrel heat/wear. That said, the Koalitsiya also has a quite a large 47-52 caliber gun by its nature is just going to act as a natural heat sink.

The MSTA-S can get up to 10 rounds a minute (this is a maximum as well), so it is very possible they resigned the gun to maximize heat dispersion. It does have a resigned barrel shroud at least compared to MSTA-S. There is just not a tremendous amount of info, but it really doesn't seem like some wunderwaffe magic versus having a larger gun with dual autoloader and other contemporary features like digital fire control and the ability to use precision rounds. Also, it can only handle 60-70 rounds so there is a maximum number of times they are going to be able to fire period.

As for why the US project failed, it very well may be to get up to 58 caliber, a bunch of more compromises had to be made in mass and metallurgy that just didn't make it sustainable. They had working on the project for a while as well.

No, no, those were separate questions of mine. I think microwave sounds a bit like Western MIC wunderwaffe talk, and I'm curious if that is actually the case or if it is actually practical.

The rate of fire is absolutely believable because I don't think that loading rounds quickly is a particularly tough challenge, and I do think a lot of systems tend to be advertised with their maximum performance figures, not sustained performance.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

No, no, those were separate questions of mine. I think microwave sounds a bit like Western MIC wunderwaffe talk, and I'm curious if that is actually the case or if it is actually practical.

The rate of fire is absolutely believable because I don't think that loading rounds quickly is a particularly tough challenge, and I do think a lot of systems tend to be advertised with their maximum performance figures, not sustained performance.

Yeah, those are maximum figures and isn't going to belt those rounds out normally but everyone does this as well. I would say there isn't much of a point to a dual autoloader unless you are designing the platform to make use of it though even if it isn't "60% more" at all times.

That said, the Russians honestly had a better platform than the M109 in the MSTA-S, and honestly, the Koalitsiya seems to be at least a decent improvement over it. It perhaps isn't the case of the Russians just being super-geniuses, but incrementally improving a good platform, modernizing it and then putting out a improvement replacement while the US has got through program after program while trying to keep their older system running. Koalitsiya seems like it is serial production as well.

Personally, I think even despite the obviously issue with ammo at the moment, NATO's tube artillery game seems like just kind of weak between the M109, M777, and the random European SPGs that haven't been doing fantastic in Ukraine. The M109 is at least a reliable platform though.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:39 on Mar 14, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

stephenthinkpad posted:

What Deng offered to Taiwan was a loose confederation type union, maybe like what Canada is to the US, or Canada was to the UK when they still had queen on their money.

You have a lot of loving cheek

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 13:39 on Mar 14, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
microwave ignition isn't a very complicated system, it's basically just a more consistent spark plug

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Danann posted:

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2024/03/12/as-dfacs-close-at-fort-carson-empty-food-kiosks-leave-soldiers-hungry/

what if the troops become more malnourished and starving than before because even more cuts were made to the threadbare food services

Empire aint got the juice no more. Back in 2010-2014 they started privitizing base housing for troops so more landlords can rentseek our sweet sweet federal dollars. Military is washed, just another bloodbag for the vampires.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

KirbyKhan posted:

Empire aint got the juice no more. Back in 2010-2014 they started privitizing base housing for troops so more landlords can rentseek our sweet sweet federal dollars. Military is washed, just another bloodbag for the vampires.

Same but 1995 here

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

just get some burger king

quote:

Despite the kiosks now being the sole option for meal card holders on weekends — aside from on-post fast food options — base officials were still surprised by how many soldiers required the food service.

“We were caught off guard with the amount of soldiers that are choosing to use the kiosk,” Payton said.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nothing better than going to the DFAC on Saturday hungover as gently caress seeing a sign at the door saying "we are closed this weekend; go to 4th brigade's DFAC" except 4th brigade is several miles down the road and you don't have a car

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

The M109 isn't junk but it isn't a SPG that is making them shake in their boots either, especially if the US can't put them out of the battlefield to the extent they need to a lack of spare parts.

Yeah, M109 is just solid, nothing wrong, nothing amazing, some nice to have stuff like digital emplacement and fire control. I think you are overselling its lack of repair parts. Canada had legacy M109s and retired them by choice two decades ago; I wouldn’t assume their funding and readiness reflects the maintenance capability of the US. I would not assume Russia cannot maintain its equipment just because a former soviet republic didn’t maintain equipment they got from Russia in the 1960/70s.

Since the A6, they switched portions of the drivetrain and essentially a new turret. Since A7, they switched entire chassis with that new turret plus some other bits. So the US has been moving away from the M113 to the BFV components for a while now, and between changing the turret in A6 and the entire chassis in A7, it’s essentially a different howitzer from the earlier models.

Where US artillery shines is less in the guns themselves and more that it is attached to the US intel and reconnaissance enterprise, which is very robust. So while in a gun for gun shoot off disconnected from combat ops, fairly similar to competitors. But in being tied in to a C2 and ISR supported division architecture that can find things for it to shoot in a timely manner, that’s where US fires do pretty well.

I haven’t read it yet, but here’s a paler on the US ceasing support of Canada’s legacy M109A1-A4 family. https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA361677

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

stephenthinkpad posted:

What Deng offered to Taiwan was a loose confederation type union, maybe like what Canada is to the US, or Canada was to the UK when they still had queen on their money. Taiwan/ROC would only need to give up diplomacy and probably the navy and they get to keep local government elections and law and everything else. They have to call themselves Chinese of course.

"Confederation" implies a certain degree of equality in status, but Canada is a full-fledged vassal of the US in all but name.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Russians also have advanced ISR, EW, and C2 as well, in part by being forced to do better. I believe the supply issues with the m109 a6 and earlier models wasn't just a Canada thing, but there was a lack of spare parts across NATO as a whole, which is affecting readiness. It is also an argument for why they would want to switch to the Bradley as well as upgrade older models with a new hull. That said, a report from the DCIT in 2017 seemed pretty negative of the reliability of the A7 in testing, it is unclear what resulted from the report.

The m109 isn't a terrible platform, but at the same time, the Russians really do seem to have an advantage in both ammo production and their tube SPGs.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Mar 14, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yeah we paid a king's ransom to Dutch armaments maker RDM Technology to upgrade the M109 and C2 105mm guns in the early 90's, only for the M109s to be scrapped shortly after, though they had brand new barrels and APUs.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Ardennes posted:

The Russians also have advanced ISR, EW, and C2 as well, in part by being forced to do better. I believe the supply issues with the m109 a6 and earlier models wasn't just a Canada thing, but there was a lack of spare parts across NATO as a whole, which is affecting readiness. It is also an argument for why they would want to switch to the Bradley as well as upgrade older models with a new hull. That said, a report from the DCIT in 2017 seemed pretty negative of the reliability of the A7 in testing, it is unclear what resulted from the report.

The m109 isn't a terrible platform, but at the same time, the Russians really do seem to have an advantage in both ammo production and their tube SPGs.

I'd argue that Russian artillery command also has the advantage of experience against someone that shoots back. It's all well and good blowing up your own civilian contractors and their families, or weddings, or funerals, or hospitals with a Hellfire but war is a bit different.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Russia using old stockpiles means Russia is losing badly. It is self-evident.

Also, let's check in on Mr. Challenger 2's page at The Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26178425/putin-forced-freshly-baked-missiles-blast-ukraine-arsenal-dwindles/

People have gotten so twisted into believing that 90s upgrades of 70s-80s designs are wunderwaffe that they now have to claim using systems introduced 6 months ago is evidence of losing.

Russia dependent on ancient soviet stockpiles - Putin in shambles!

Russia running out of stockpiled weapons, forced to rush munitions straight to the frontline in vast quantities: Putin terrified!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

The Oldest Man posted:

Russia dependent on ancient soviet stockpiles - Putin in shambles!

Russia running out of stockpiled weapons, forced to rush munitions straight to the frontline in vast quantities: Putin terrified!

HUGE BLOW to Tyrant Putin: Russian weapons are devastating!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
you shouldn't really be subjecting yourself to the Sun newspaper, even just to mock. It's brain poison.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

you shouldn't really be subjecting yourself to the Sun newspaper, even just to mock. It's brain poison.

Reacting negatively is still a reaction and probably the desired one. That’s how they get you. Keep you reacting and never acting.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

man holding butterfly: is this soviet-style military training???????

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would argue that it has the same ideology and fulfills the same purpose as prestige media, just with a different readership and cruder phrasing.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I had the displeasure of hearing someone refer to "our western heritage" as "Plato to NATO" today.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I had the displeasure of hearing someone refer to "our western heritage" as "Plato to NATO" today.

The Plato-NATO-Cato axis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm surprised this didn't give you a stroke tbh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If this was said with a British accent blink twice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I mean, I'm totally fine with that as an indictment of heretofore existing human civilization.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

oh wow, fascinating

*adds another yarn string to the wall*

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

americans are weird we gonna go out weird too

America is the family annhiliator of countries, we will 100% lose nukes when we can no longer lie to ourselves about losing

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Nato is exactly like the Delian League, correct

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

been saying it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

that video is funny for being a promo for glorious nato arms. Ignoring all the issues of the training they emphasize how the tank can fire really amazingly far (for a tank), but the thing that makes it a tank as opposed to lovely artillery it's actually bad at (moving). It gets stuck easily, has maintenance problems, and parts are hard to find. I'm sure with enough billions in funding they can figure this out eventually or maybe the Russians will agree to some honorable tank duels in a dry flat environment.

American doctrine dictates that all of our eneimes will be Iraq in 1991 so therefore they must be, we're the protagonists after all

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised this didn't give you a stroke tbh

I'm concerned that I made a face for a split second. I guess I'll hear about it later if I did and anyone noticed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

behold! a strategic alliance of peers.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

writing Nato instead of NATO or nato is a big red flag imo

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

it’s clink. CLINK!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Regarding that Challenger stuck in the mud video, idk about driving tanks per se, but I do know that if you want to drive into mud, you don't generally want to just edge into it slowly but hit it with some speed. Now maybe this is just training but that is the sort of thing you can cover before getting in the tank.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, M109 is just solid,
So while in a gun for gun shoot off disconnected from combat ops, fairly similar to competitors.

I don't really know but just going off wiki it has half the range and a quarter the firing rate of the Koalitsiya, which sure, there are not that many of, but looks like maybe that will change, and as current mass production SPG seems like the relevant competitor.

=========
Stephen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Weka posted:

Regarding that Challenger stuck in the mud video, idk about driving tanks per se, but I do know that if you want to drive into mud, you don't generally want to just edge into it slowly but hit it with some speed. Now maybe this is just training but that is the sort of thing you can cover before getting in the tank.

also helps not to be a big ol heavy fatty :killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I would assume having a reporter and other VIPs riding on top is why didn't try to just assault through the ravine, since it would probably cover them in mud or worse.