Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

What the gently caress is a printer?

It's like a subscription-based Gutenburg press but it only lasts eight months before it catches on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

UFOTacoMan posted:

in the last couple of months I've noticed a change that on windows 10 when you install a printer, after going through the usual "add printer" motions, half the time the new printer will just hangout in the "other devices" section with a message that it is "being set up". I tried to learn a little about it and it's just the way it is now I guess. printers can take 10/20/30 minutes plus to install because gently caress you. This used to be a thing that would take 30 seconds.

Yup been seeing this too in a corporate environment.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Basically every time I use my wireless printer on Win10 I have to reinstall it.

Luckily it is mostly automatic now and just takes 30 seconds.

Normal printer stuff. Every wireless printer I've ever used was like this. I just use USB now, it's not worth the effort to do anything else.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I don't know but this lady from work needed to "print" something and brought one over from across town and now the loving thing won't install and I think my chances of us hitting it off are really going downhill fast.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
after a windows update recently my wifi often just disappears and the dumbed-down windows "troubleshooter" dies trying to find it.

Like the little router symbol and menus are just gone

Have to hard reboot the laptop and it comes back

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Man is going to take printing from us, and we'll freaking cheer.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

ProperCauldron posted:

on my Win10 machine, I click on the taskbar time and I can see a display showing ticking seconds in real time.

on my Win11 machine, there is no way to monitor seconds, I had to dig into Control Panel and look for Date & Time or whatever

My work laptop has Win10 and I recently switched to the small taskbar. Now it will no longer show me the date, only the time.

Sure, I can click on the time and it will still bring up the calendar, but that's overkill for "what day is it today?".

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A machine from the 1990s that makes loud screeching noises, prints black and white, and hooks up by a parallel cable. We don't talk about the other kinds.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Linux is fine for what it is.
I worked in infrastructure cyber security research for over a decade and for a lot of things*, Linux is the tool to use.

*Things like writing/executing shell scripts, some programming, SDR stuff, anything IOT related, etc.

I've had a Ubuntu partition on my HD since before 2015 for my graduate work. I graduated in 2019 and haven't booted that partition since then.
Instead I boot to Win10 to mostly just browse, poo poo post, and watch YouTube. Oh it also hosts my Plex server.
If I had spare time and weren't lazy I might try to switch back to the Ubuntu side, but why? Everything works and I don't want to gently caress with it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

A machine from the 1990s that makes loud screeching noises, prints black and white, and hooks up by a parallel cable. We don't talk about the other kinds.

I've actually been dealing with the topic of parallel cables. Fascinating stuff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
In the genre of real, tangible objects getting shittier: There is a mailbox across the street that I use 1-2 times a week. While I was out of town dealing with family poo poo last month, the USPS went in and tore out the little swing door and replaced it with a slot. It is now useless for anything but flat, letter sized mail. It used to fit small parcels up to 3 inches thick. Nothing crazy, still small items. But now a goddamn DVD case won't fit.

Gee, loving thank you. I love trekking to the post office and it's narrow-rear end parking lot where I narrowly avoid being backed into to drop off a single piece of mail that is .5 inches thick and thus forbidden from being dropped in the box. Incredible convenience! So much better than walking across the street!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

doctorfrog posted:

Sordum.org has this thing called Windows Update Blocker, which has worked for me to counter an unruly set of update services in 10. Use judiciously of course.

Nice, thanks I'll be trying this out.

In things that got shittier news, you can now no longer use certain prescription discount services to help pay for over the counter medications, apparently. At CVS just tried to use GoodRx to discount the generic Claritin I usually get (Loratadine) and they won't take it any longer, since the start of this year I'm told.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
linux is extremely useful for many things (i will probably switch my plex server to it whenever the mood strikes), but i use windows only because i like to play games and i use mac only because that is what my work provided machine typically is. i have no use for a linux desktop in my life even if it doesn't require tinkering to keep usable. i still think macos is better for non-gaming than windows... but not by much. it was better in the os x era but really you have no clear all-around great option for desktop os these days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just assume wireless printers will not work and use usb cables

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

thathonkey posted:

linux is extremely useful for many things (i will probably switch my plex server to it whenever the mood strikes), but i use windows only because i like to play games and i use mac only because that is what my work provided machine typically is. i have no use for a linux desktop in my life even if it doesn't require tinkering to keep usable. i still think macos is better for non-gaming than windows... but not by much. it was better in the os x era but really you have no clear all-around great option for desktop os these days.

Linux gaming is pretty good nowadays, I've been playing Baldur's Gate 3 on Arch and it's :discourse:

I even have an nVidia card

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

after a windows update recently my wifi often just disappears and the dumbed-down windows "troubleshooter" dies trying to find it.

I've had that happen too. Usually if I turn airplane mode on and then off it'll come back. It's happened to me on multiple laptops and it's dumb as hell.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I, in turn, construct an entire profile for anyone who requests a Linux desktop

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Woolie Wool posted:

Linux gaming is pretty good nowadays, I've been playing Baldur's Gate 3 on Arch and it's :discourse:

I even have an nVidia card

Yeah it was pretty good even in 2015. Steam worked nicely and lots of games that I liked to play worked great. I think I even played MGS5 on it

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Time_pants posted:

Right? I remember logging into my computer around Christmas and seeing a link at the login screen offering "great holiday gift ideas."

You're an operating system. gently caress off.

Alright class that concludes our discussion of multitasking and context switching. Next week we'll cover intrusive advertising and telemetry... perhaps the very core of what makes a modern OS.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

skooma512 posted:

Yup been seeing this too in a corporate environment.

Just tons of fun when you're doing IT support for a school. No urgency there!

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

euphronius posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about windows is it’s insistence on using share point after using normal files for 40 years

And hiding things on right click context menus

and the unfettered ability for garbage apps to add random useless poo poo to your right click context menus

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Internet Old One posted:

Yep cut my teeth on slackware. Then went to redhat. Then mandrake. Early 2000s mandrake might have been one of the most straightforward installs of my life. I was actually a little suspicious when it was done.

Yeah, but from that era I'm reminded of a video of some guy melting down at 3AM because he was trying to do a redhat install over the course of multiple days on a sequence of floppy disks that would fail after the 39th disk and he'd start again

I'd find the video, but search is just giving me bearded dude reaction faces with 10000 variations of "how to install kali linux on windows ftw"

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
Raley's switched from Impossible Burger to Beyond Burger

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Made a Mint installer yesterday after the wallpaper incident. On one of my laptops it booted just fine, but even after updating it had screen tearing when scrolling in Firefox on the most milquetoast common three year old Intel graphics in the world, so that's a nope since all I do all day is scroll the forums. On another laptop it wouldn't boot either in normal or compatibility mode but just kernel panicked straight away.

Thus ends my bidecadal attempt at running linux on the desktop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just wait, 2025 will be the year of Linux on desktop

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

evobatman posted:

Made a Mint installer yesterday after the wallpaper incident. On one of my laptops it booted just fine, but even after updating it had screen tearing when scrolling in Firefox on the most milquetoast common three year old Intel graphics in the world, so that's a nope since all I do all day is scroll the forums. On another laptop it wouldn't boot either in normal or compatibility mode but just kernel panicked straight away.

I think you're trying too hard. Use Ubuntu and it will work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I use Debian on a VM from time to time and I think it's worked out pretty well. I like Debian, it's old like me.

I'm considering the move to full time linux at the moment. I need to research more into WINE, my dependence on windows apps has decreased over time (Fusion 360 is still the main issue though things are advancing on that front) and how running a windows VM from a linux machine works out since I think that might be needed now and then.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

I use Debian on a VM from time to time and I think it's worked out pretty well. I like Debian, it's old like me.

I'm considering the move to full time linux at the moment. I need to research more into WINE, my dependence on windows apps has decreased over time (Fusion 360 is still the main issue though things are advancing on that front) and how running a windows VM from a linux machine works out since I think that might be needed now and then.

I highly recommend Ubuntu, especially if you want to port from Windows.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

on my Win10 machine, I click on the taskbar time and I can see a display showing ticking seconds in real time.

on my Win11 machine, there is no way to monitor seconds, I had to dig into Control Panel and look for Date & Time or whatever

You can enable seconds but it uses 1.6% more power to display them so it is off my default.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

DemihumanResources posted:

Yeah, but from that era I'm reminded of a video of some guy melting down at 3AM because he was trying to do a redhat install over the course of multiple days on a sequence of floppy disks that would fail after the 39th disk and he'd start again

I'd find the video, but search is just giving me bearded dude reaction faces with 10000 variations of "how to install kali linux on windows ftw"

Oh no no no Slackware was absolutely like that. It took me something like 5 days to boot off my hard drive, 2 weeks to get X11 working and a month to fully get all my other hardware working. (everything had to be compiled in kernel)

Also it was fully worth your time to recompile X11, glibc and all your other major software and that took another few months.

It was probably 3 full months before it was good.

Mandrake was easier than installing Windows.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DemihumanResources posted:

and the unfettered ability for garbage apps to add random useless poo poo to your right click context menus

On that note, websites disabling right click. That’s my mouse! :mad:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

b mad at me posted:

I highly recommend Ubuntu, especially if you want to port from Windows.

I tried Ubuntu but it kept doing the windows trick of telling me when my stuff would update and not letting me control that, so Mint it was.

I'm not going to tolerate forced automatic updates until ui designers settle the gently caress down, which might be never.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

evobatman posted:

The circle of life.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Next time is going to be the year of linux on the desktop though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
linux is great just not for people to use. for machines to talk to one another it cant be beat. AND therfore it powers most of the intern- wait a second... llinux is actually bad?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Atopian posted:

I tried Ubuntu but it kept doing the windows trick of telling me when my stuff would update and not letting me control that, so Mint it was.

I'm not going to tolerate forced automatic updates until ui designers settle the gently caress down, which might be never.

It can be set to not update or only automatically get security updates, but a brilliant decision was made to have two separate programs named "Software & Updates" and "Software Updater" and hell if I can ever remember which one does what.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

b mad at me posted:

Raley's switched from Impossible Burger to Beyond Burger

What's Raleys?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Just wait, 2025 will be the year of Linux on desktop

Just like 1993, but better.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I am once again encouraging you to just use Windows 7, the peak of perfection in operating systems.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

20 Blunts posted:

I had that last week and rebooting would blue screen. The new hotness for turning Windows to trash here was an update moved all of my local documents folder to OneDrive. OneDrive was lovely enough already without it literally abducting my files and mixing them together with things I already saved there by accident because Microsoft software tries to stealthily force everything into OneDrive and makes saving locally harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Word won’t auto save locally anymore

It’s incredible