Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

If I'm at the dustbowl ATM and I've only done the piano minigame maybe three times? Have I missed any? There's tifas house in the kalm flashback, the one in costa del Sol and I want to say I did another one after that somewhere but I can't remember. It felt like the idea was introduced so early I was expecting it to be a lot more prevalent.

There’s one in the Crow’s Nest east of Junon and one in Barrett’s hometown. If you’re at three songs so far then you’re good. There’s one song per map region except for the grasslands for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think I missed the crows nest one BC I'm only at 2 since my sweet jam session in the flashback didn't count (tried to play 'hurt' by NiN)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That reminds me, is the “you suck at playing piano” dialogue for the Kalm flashback actually possible to trigger in the main game or was that demo-exclusive since Tifa’s theme isn’t at that piano anymore?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Augus posted:

That reminds me, is the “you suck at playing piano” dialogue for the Kalm flashback actually possible to trigger in the main game or was that demo-exclusive since Tifa’s theme isn’t at that piano anymore?

I triggered it and never played the demo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they want shady posted:

I triggered it and never played the demo

how does that work? I mashed random keys and they told me I had hidden talent lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did that and they told me I sucked

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Augus posted:

Yeah, you just need to play like a few keys and quit for it. Tifa remarks: "You didn't have to play the piano, you know?"

In my first run, I just spun the sticks around and everyone was so impressed

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Augus posted:

how does that work? I mashed random keys and they told me I had hidden talent lol

dunno, probably didn't mash enough keys. Just tested it a bit and left it there since I didn't have sheet music and I'm not a musician, so didn't have much to do there

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Some of the funniest side stuff to me since I suck at the piano game is every time they set up these cute moments for Tifa with an impromptu recital. They're like, I might know a certain someone who knows their way around a piano ;) and no they don't.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Augus posted:

If you mash a lot of keys they like it, if you just hit a couple notes and quit they tell you that you sucked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can a mod change my username to Aerith Gainsbro? TIA

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I posted my spoilery thoughts in the other thread. After beating the game, I think the overall package is just incredible. It has its issues for sure. I hate the little bespoke animations that make everything feel like it takes forever and I was absolutely gassed out on minigames by the end so I never did the final chocobo sidequest (since I would have had to grind through the leagues to get there) but the quality of the character writing and the weirdness of the setting and just how BIG they went with everything smoothed all that over by the end. I love the ways Rebirth expanded on the original story and I love the way the story is told. This group of characters will probably be my favorite for a very long time. The togetherness they show is genuinely heartwarming. They are all so supportive and caring for each other and that makes a huge difference.

My teenage son was chilling and watching me play through the ending while I was like WOAOAOAOAOAOAH over and over again. After it was all over he just kind of quietly left the room. He came back around dinner time and looked at me and said (ending spoilers, for the cautious) "You know, that ending was kind of sad, Dad". I talked to him about how that was kind of a generation defining gaming moment back in the 90s and they managed to make it even more gutwrenching this time around. The long goodbye had me in tears, tbh.

Overall I think it did Xenoblade 3 better than XB3 did, and even if I was burned out on optional content, it was all handled really well and designed in interesting ways. I think they could have cut it down a bit but I'm genuinely impressed by how much they put into the game. It's an achievement by any metric.

e: Oh yeah, the soundtrack is one of the best in gaming, for my money. Some of those later boss fights have some absolute bangers. The hour long final boss suite is kind of incredible in its own right, but I think the (late game boss spoilers) Tseng & Elena fight might be my favorite new theme in the game.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 14, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I will poke and prod at every element of game design and narrative in this thing, and there are a lot, and I earnestly believe there are many crucial extents to which the developers actually do not understand what they are doing even while there are others they clearly understand deeply.

But the soundtrack. God drat. It is staggering in its achievement. Even by the standard set by Remake it is astonishing. How are we still not tired of an unending cascade of remixes of Those Who Fight with other iconic riffs mixed in to it? How do they keep getting away with this? How many CDs are they going to need this time? How are they going to top it (I ask, after having asked this about Remake also).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the game is 2 blurays because its filled with remixes
it's crazy how much poo poo is packed on it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I read somewhere the soundtrack is over 400 tracks or something? Absolutely unhinged and I can't imagine topping that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dang, Nibel chocobos are so much cooler than any other chocobo.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I wish all the chocobos has something similar to the nibel chocobo. The Cosmo one really sucked the fun outta gliding by having it be only off specific ramps

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay can I get to this one landmark with a cache? Sure, you can just glide down to it from - oh no you need a ramp. Oh wait there is a r- oh wait it's from the awful gliding game and you arbitrarily can't use it normally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thought Cosmo chocobo was a breath of fresh air after shroomcobos but really nice to have a chocobo gimmick that isn't only used in very specific contexts. Even outside of water you can still basically do a little hop and hover as a Sea Chocobo and that puts the rest to shame.

Anyway still have Nibel protorelic to do but official region rankings:

1. Junon: It's basically perfect
2. Cosmo Canyon: Just love the vibes and the music really. Some of the gliding puzzles can be annoying but as a whole a breath of fresh air compared to the region before it. Really like all the new stuff it got too.
3. Corel: So dang big! Got some pacing issues on account of being twice the size of anywhere else and having the two major minigame hubs only a few hours away from each other but also got some really great parts and potentially the best dungeon in the game. And I like how its split between desert zone and beach zone, most regions only have a single vibe.
4. Nibelheim: Best chocobo and really compact which can be nice compared to some of the bigger zones. Should maybe actually be number 3 but its just got kind of a boring aesthetic (vaguely mountainous with a couple of islands) and maybe the least memorable theme.
5. Grasslands: Straightforward tutorial zone. Got two biomes like Corel which is nice but otherwise there's not much going on. Think Kaim is my favorite town tho.
6. Gongaga: The jungle kinda sucks tbh.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The Gongaga village guard lady is from some other thing I have to assume right? She had a lot of prominence and lines for how minor a role she actually plays.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She's from Crisis Core and also an old feature phone mobile game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t like the desert because the buggy is really slow and it takes a while to get in and out of

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

She's from Crisis Core and also an old feature phone mobile game.

She's also voiced by Jecka from Class of '09

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

I don’t like the desert because the buggy is really slow and it takes a while to get in and out of

Yeah the long animations suck rear end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the buggy was cool. I actually wished everyone climbed out of it lol

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Chapter 10:)

Man, seeing Aerith's garden dying was a blow I wasn't expecting. That timeline/universe/whatever really is hosed, huh? ]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Everyone in remake series is really good at dancing for some reason.

This explains so much

It was a joke. He wasn't serious about actually doing that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like 100% honest, even if it hadn't been a joke...

A Final Fantasy musical seems like a loving good idea? Like it's a franchise known for its music which has had multiple musical numbers even before it had voice acting. It frequently goes back to theatrical tropes either metaphorically or extremely literally, singing and songs play a huge part in the series, and like in general if you were going to ask me a franchise that could go full musical and make it work, it'd be the one where they made 400 loving different songs for a game

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mechafunkzilla posted:

the fact that people can even compare glide to crunches tells me they didn't try to highscore glide 4 and are speaking from a place of ignorance

e: glide 3

Gliding wasn't that bad/was fun to me. It's fascinating to see which mini games piss people off. I for example still loving hate the box smashing one

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gliding would have been fine if they hadn’t bizarrely decided to just copy the left stick’s controls onto the right stick for absolutely no reason and instead left it to control the camera like the rest of the game.

I could even overlook the total lack of feedback around if you were diving correctly or not if they let me look around.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gliding took me a moment to grasp the controls, but after that it was fine? Hell, the 2nd course took me more retries to Rank III than the 3rd course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm so used to playing older games where "camera control on a stick" wasn't a thing that Glide was just more slightly confusing than agonizing, but I imagine if you're not used to that it would be horrible because you'd have to unlearn the muscle memory of camera movement.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The final two points on 3 gave me the biggest issue. You have zero room for error since even doing it right you barely touch the top one. The other two were fine.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm so used to playing older games where "camera control on a stick" wasn't a thing that Glide was just more slightly confusing than agonizing, but I imagine if you're not used to that it would be horrible because you'd have to unlearn the muscle memory of camera movement.

As much as I didn't vibe with many of the minigames, Gliding seemed ok. Not "fun" exactly but doable, especially if you aren't going for best ranks. FF7 Rebirth makes the bar for entry really low if you just want to progress, thankfully.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Issue with gliding is I expect it to be more responsive than it is so I start correcting too soon and end up undershooting everything. Climbing out of dives especially.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Gliding was fine compared to *shudder* Cait Sith box throwing.

I got 0 out of 10 on the moving target boxes because the aim assist snaps to the boxes directly and so they've already moved by the time the thrown box reaches the target.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

box throwing comes at you so suddenly and compounds on an issue that's already present in the section (the target overestimates where the box will land) that if you need to max it out for plat I'm just not gonna get plat

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Everyone in remake series is really good at dancing for some reason.

This explains so much

This was absolutely Nomura talking out of his rear end though. I remember that article distinctly and he said that he got the idea to make FFXV a musical after watching Tom Hooper's Les Misérables in 2012. Final Fantasy VX/Final Fantasy Versus XIII had been in development for about seven years at that point. To do what Nomura claims he wanted to do would have required ripping whatever they'd built of the game to that point up and starting over from scratch again.

It's no coincidence that Nomura was fired as FFXV project lead a few months after that interview and Tabata was brought in to replace him. Because Square was like "e-loving-nough of this auteur finger paint and zen crystal poo poo, someone publish a loving game already, we look like idiots" (because they were, in fact, idiots).

That being said, a purpose-build, ground-up intentional giant Disney movie musical Final Fantasy would be loving amazing and I want Nomura to actually make it one day. Just get your loving priorities straight my man.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He was joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Goddamn the UPA chocobo race music had no reason to go that hard.

Now I'm stuck on the 3D brawler part of it and wanting to tear my hair out because the telegraphs all look way too loving similar.