Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

Can’t believe how much time I’ve wasted saying the words “set a timer for”.

Hey Siri, 15 minute timer.

Boom, saved you 4 words. Enjoy the life you just got back!

Or even “Siri, 15 minute timer” now if you have that enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > iPhone: Save 4 words, enjoy the life you just got back

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Now tell me how to reliably set a 15 vs 50 minute timer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TACD posted:

Or for Siri to be able to process a request like "no I said 15 not 50" and correct it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why is all this poo poo getting so much worse all the time?

There's probably some rich academic research to be done as to whether and in what circumstances data tends toward usefulness (i.e. Wikipedia) or tends toward gibberish and chaos (the web in general, especially the more "AI" is used to generate content)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TACD posted:

Siri five zero minutes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

set a three thousand second timer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Get why people like voice commands, but it has never been for me. I am in the only use for timer club, and I still just use the side button or rise to speak on my watch (which is rare).

I’ve refused to get any of the voice command options for my household, I don’t need extra things listening in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you have a bunch then the high pitched control signals they ping your house with interfere with each other and you get less spied on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno if it has to have a more complicated reason than processing and reducing latency being expensive so they’re cost cutting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TACD posted:

God, you and me both, brother.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Siri five zero minutes

I've had to do this at work more than once. :argh:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
There’s a way to set a timer without saying anything at all

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If only Apple actually worked on actual improvements to Siri instead of dicking around with on device LLM prototypes for 3-5 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thwomp posted:

If only Apple actually worked on actual improvements to Siri instead of dicking around with on device LLM prototypes for 3-5 years.

It's absurd how bad the new autocorrect is. I've always been a poo poo typist on a phone but the ios 16 and earlier corrections were relatively okay at deciphering my line noise into the right word. The ios 17 take on the idea has a bad habit of producing faceroll gibberish or filling in a random noun.

As near as I can tell its ability to learn from my typing does nothing but add more errors and it's slowly starting to believe I want to enter words wrong.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

There’s a way to set a timer without saying anything at all

The alarm/timer picker control is basically the same as it was in iOS 1.0 and it is one of the very few things that I find to be slower and more annoying than talking to the computer like it's a person

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
In 17.4 they also changed Siri to require an explicit "On" or "Off" statement for boolean switches in HomeKit. So pre 17.4 I could say something like "Hey Siri, Fireplace", and if it was off she'd turn it on and vice versa. Now she asks "should I turn it on or off?" Why waste time say lot word, etc.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Clark Nova posted:

The alarm/timer picker control is basically the same as it was in iOS 1.0 and it is one of the very few things that I find to be slower and more annoying than talking to the computer like it's a person
The pro method for setting timers without Siri is to long-press the timer button in Control Centre :c00l:

bobfather posted:

In 17.4 they also changed Siri to require an explicit "On" or "Off" statement for boolean switches in HomeKit. So pre 17.4 I could say something like "Hey Siri, Fireplace", and if it was off she'd turn it on and vice versa. Now she asks "should I turn it on or off?" Why waste time say lot word, etc.
lmao it always mishears off/on for me as well. Same for enable/disable, there’s got to be on/off synonyms that are phonetically distinct?

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 14, 2024

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

TACD posted:

The pro method for setting timers without Siri is to long-press the timer button in Control Centre :c00l:

:aaa:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Here’s what I found on the web 😊

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

buglord posted:

Here’s what I found on the web 😊

:xd:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've never spoken or yelled commands at any of my iPhones or BMW's. Looks like I'm not missing much. :shrug: :corsair:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Clark Nova posted:

Agreed; the "slot machine" time/date picker is a dumb holdover from the early days of the iPhone making things that look cool.
A numpad control would be faster in basically every circumstance.

~Coxy posted:

But I think I'm going to train myself to do "Siri 1 hour 15 minutes" which is probably short enough that I won't complain too much about the redundant "minutes".

I found out why this doesn't work; you can't name the timer with this method.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I’ve been on the Apple ecosystem since the iPhone 4. Due for an upgrade again and I just can’t justify the cost anymore. Economy’s gone to poo poo (in Canada especially) and popping over a grand for a phone just isn’t appetizing right now.

Basically had the choice between a new SE and a questionable refurb where you’re gambling with the battery condition and god knows what else. No bueno.

I ended up buying a Google Pixel 7a, just waiting for it to show up... I literally haven’t used an android for any significant amount of time since the Galaxy S2 came out.

I’m scared, hold me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Spagghentleman posted:

I’ve been on the Apple ecosystem since the iPhone 4. Due for an upgrade again and I just can’t justify the cost anymore. Economy’s gone to poo poo (in Canada especially) and popping over a grand for a phone just isn’t appetizing right now.

Basically had the choice between a new SE and a questionable refurb where you’re gambling with the battery condition and god knows what else. No bueno.

I ended up buying a Google Pixel 7a, just waiting for it to show up... I literally haven’t used an android for any significant amount of time since the Galaxy S2 came out.

I’m scared, hold me.

Pixel phones consistently win mkbhd's phone camera tournament, and they don't have all the Samsung garbage bloat.

Also the Awful app is better on Android, that's just a fact.

And if you bother with gaming, you have access to emulators.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 15, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Keyser_Soze posted:

I've never spoken or yelled commands at any of my iPhones or BMW's. Looks like I'm not missing much. :shrug: :corsair:

is this a humble brag about having a bmw

e: Looks like Apple is going to fix all these problems with AI, eh?

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/14/apple-acquires-darwinai/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Maybe Samsung and Pixel devices have a different launcher and Lock Screen, but I’ve been playing around with Android 13 on my Retroid gaming handheld and the lack of swipe down for system wide search from the Lock and Home Screen like in iOS is the most glaring issue for me. I seriously use that for everything in iOS - opening and downloading apps, searching the web and locations, texting & calling people.

It’s so much faster than opening apps. Like spotlight/Alfred/Raycast on macOS. Nova for Android has a similar app but it’s just not as good as iOSes.

I really miss iOS shortcuts, too. It’s also amazing how many Android apps aren’t designed for tap and hold contextual menus.

Great for emulators/roms, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 15, 2024

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Corb3t posted:

Maybe Samsung and Pixel devices have a different launcher and Lock Screen, but I’ve been playing around with Android 13 on my Retroid gaming handheld and the lack of swipe down for system wide search from the Lock and Home Screen like in iOS is the most glaring issue for me. I seriously use that for everything in iOS - opening and downloading apps, searching the web and locations, texting & calling people.

Pixel 8 Pro owner here. I literally have a search bar on the bottom of the phone's home screen that can be used as a system wide search. No swipe down/up necessary.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mister Facetious posted:

Also the Awful app is better on Android, that's just a fact.

Tell me more, what’s missing in Awful.app?

Unrelated: is there any way to get Google Maps to pause spoken word audio when it’s giving directions? I can do it with Apple Maps, and Google Maps can do it on Android, so I want to believe that it’s possible and I just haven’t found the right settings screen.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Subjunctive posted:

Unrelated: is there any way to get Google Maps to pause spoken word audio when it’s giving directions? I can do it with Apple Maps, and Google Maps can do it on Android, so I want to believe that it’s possible and I just haven’t found the right settings screen.

Not them but if I’m remembering right I think the title and/or page counter slid away when scrolling down, creating more real estate? I may be confusing that with a Reddit 3rd party app. Either way it’s a feature I’ve wanted on Awful.app since I switched back to iOS

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Agreed; the "slot machine" time/date picker is a dumb holdover from the early days of the iPhone making things that look cool.
A numpad control would be faster in basically every circumstance.

It doesn't work in timers, but you can set alarms with a num pad by tapping the time in the edit window. Apple got rid of the slot machine in a point release, but were forced to put it back for some reason.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

1.) It more closely resembles the website
2.) Tapping ona name expands to show a larger version of the person's Avatar, and reveals the custom text

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That’s the list?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's what i care about. :colbert:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You know what's even closer to the website? The website. :eng101:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The new awful app does this really loving stupid thing where the menu items change loving directions arbitrarily. Sometimes quote is replaced by report! It's supposedly an iOS feature but I've never seen this menu changing thing in any other iOS app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

The new awful app does this really loving stupid thing where the menu items change loving directions arbitrarily. Sometimes quote is replaced by report! It's supposedly an iOS feature but I've never seen this menu changing thing in any other iOS app.
well poo poo I’ve never noticed that. Yeah the “…” menu on each post inverts if it’s near the bottom of the page. Now I’m trying to find another app with the same style of menu to compare.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible to have Maps’ public transit directions keep the audio alert “turn left here” stuff that just pure walking directions have? Bonus points if it also warns me when I’m near my bus stop.

It’d be nice to have it guide me to the bus, warn me when to disembark and then guide me the last bit of my journey without having to manually split the journey up into separate searches for each walking part.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Good posting (me included).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it possible to have Maps’ public transit directions keep the audio alert “turn left here” stuff that just pure walking directions have? Bonus points if it also warns me when I’m near my bus stop.

It’d be nice to have it guide me to the bus, warn me when to disembark and then guide me the last bit of my journey without having to manually split the journey up into separate searches for each walking part.

Transit app does this. My local transit authority somehow pays them to give all users a free premium membership, so you can check if you get it for free as well if you don't want to pay.

E: it gives notifications for when to get off the bus. I've never used it to navigate TO a bus stop so I'm unsure if it'll tell to where to turn or when the bus gets here.