Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

tristeham posted:

lol

scorsese's brown moses biopic

ken burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

speng31b posted:

ken burns

Ken Burns Ukraine would have classical music playing as the screen slow scrolls Google maps across the Donetsk while garrison Keillor reads BMs d&d posts

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

my_custom_username posted:

Why have people gotten so loving annoying about Starship Troopers recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6By_dQS84E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDhaY8T9fyw

what is the meaning of this piece of media? :thunk:

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 06:09 on Mar 13, 2024

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Instead of newspapers i scry using chicken bones, much more accurate

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

crepeface posted:

:d:Part 1: What is media literacy?:d:

Let's start from the beginning.

This is the Shannon and Weaver Communication Model.

(Note that this is a model of communication. This material will have a few models; the thing about models is they're simplified representations that explain one set of relationships by sacrificing detail elsewhere. I am also simplifying these models, as many of the real ones get very complex.)

Shannon and Weaver is a classic. It’s the foundation of entire fields of theory. But let’s put some flesh on these bones. Why do we care about this?

Example 1
DnD mod GreyJoyBastard loves classic film The Princess Bride, and has always thought it deserves more appreciation. He writes a long, meandering OP in CineD discussing his love of the film, and promoting his idea, an HD re-release shown in theaters.

GJB has a message he wants to convey, but he can't just beam it into people's heads- he has to encode it into a message into a form other people can translate. This post passes through the channel or medium of the forums.

Unfortunately, this medium has a source of noise, or distortion, that warps or limits the content of the message. All communications have sources of noise, but SA has an especially bad one: radium’s code. The post that is ultimately displayed is scrambled.

Several users see the new thread. Among them is Jeffrey of YOSPOS, who sees the post and reads it, decoding it in the context of some…detailed…children's cartoon fanfiction GJB had been posting earlier. He decides he's had enough. GreyJoyBastard is demodded and permabanned.

What have we learned?
First, what you mean isn’t the same as what you say, or what your audience hears. Your ideas or beliefs or intentions have to be converted into a message, which travels through a medium that further distorts its content, and then has to be interpreted by the recipient.

Second, to communicate your meaning, you have to think about how the message will be received. It’s not enough to care passionately about your beliefs. Hell, caring passionately can make it harder to communicate! You need to be able to anticipate how your message will be mediated to construct your message so that it conveys your desired idea and your audience will understand it. GreyJoyBastard didn’t have too much of a chance because of radium, but if he’d included a short message at the top of his post saying “I understand this is not like my usual posting, but I promise this thread is not related to my collection of My Little Pony alternate universe harem novellas”…it might have helped. He needed to think about how the forums could screw up his message, and how his target audience doesn’t share his well-known love of 1980s camp cinema and costumed horse romance.

If you don’t actively think about how your message will be mediated and received, and how it relates to your goals, you’re talking to yourself, not others. You're masturbating, not communicating. DPPH is closed. We try to discourage that practice these days.

Third and most importantly, all messages are mediated.
When we usually think of media, we think of getting information from an outside source, like a newspaper, that “mediates” the message. But every medium, every source, selects and influences how a message is shaped and ultimately received.

What’s more, messages are mediated many times over. When you see and post a tweet that contains a link to a news story, the reporter is a mediator for the message- but so is the source for the story, and the way they talked to the reporter, and the editor, and the newspaper’s social media account, and the person who retweets it, and the twitter format…and so are you, the person who posts that tweet on the forums.

When we think of media literacy, then it’s not just about understanding how the “news media” operates. We get information in all kinds of ways, and very little of it is only mediated by reporters. Media literacy is about understanding how the process of communication affects the messages we receive, and how we can better participate in communication, as message creators and receivers.

This is Media Literacy (TM) made manifest.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/BKWelles/status/1767531998770307247

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fizziester posted:

This is Media Literacy (TM) made manifest.

Get your hands off my transmitter!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
i don't have a lot of money like that and i'm stupid, what gives

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

i don't have a lot of money like that and i'm stupid, what gives

perhaps youre not stupid enough

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:hmmyes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet no one in this thread even has a Masters in Media Literacy, much less a PhD

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I changed my mind, I'm pro-media-literacy now

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

:hmmyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al-Saqr posted:

literacy is for dorks and losers i will never ever read a book ever

i will never live in a pod, eat a bug, or read a book

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Will you Calm a Hitler?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

slave to my cravings posted:

cool black guy making a media cliteracy thread where he talks about the best way to eat pussy

lesson one: the fact of the matter is it ain't gay to lick the pussy, even though that is where the dick goes

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Some call it media literacy, I call it media hitleracy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

this is poor media literacy imo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i say swears online posted:

this is poor media literacy imo

Post some racy Hitler media about it.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
this is the future wokeists want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOs8U50T3l0

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
goddammit shadowbanned again

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Weka posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nix Panicus posted:

You know its true because an anonymous US State Department or CIA cutout agency official said it and a prestigious media outlet put their reputation on the line to uncritically copy/paste their statement. Only democracy can be so free and trustworthy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Why shouldn't the man eating bugs eat man? That's what they're there for!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I felt a great disturbance in the forums, as if millions of hitlers suddenly posted walls of text, and were suddenly calm.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

CalmHitler.jpg

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

fizziester posted:

CalmHitler.jpg

lol i miss this one

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

crepeface posted:

:d:Part 1: What is media literacy?:d:

Let's start from the beginning.

This is the Shannon and Weaver Communication Model.

(Note that this is a model of communication. This material will have a few models; the thing about models is they're simplified representations that explain one set of relationships by sacrificing detail elsewhere. I am also simplifying these models, as many of the real ones get very complex.)

Shannon and Weaver is a classic. Its the foundation of entire fields of theory. But lets put some flesh on these bones. Why do we care about this?

Example 1
DnD mod GreyJoyBastard loves classic film The Princess Bride, and has always thought it deserves more appreciation. He writes a long, meandering OP in CineD discussing his love of the film, and promoting his idea, an HD re-release shown in theaters.

GJB has a message he wants to convey, but he can't just beam it into people's heads- he has to encode it into a message into a form other people can translate. This post passes through the channel or medium of the forums.

Unfortunately, this medium has a source of noise, or distortion, that warps or limits the content of the message. All communications have sources of noise, but SA has an especially bad one: radiums code. The post that is ultimately displayed is scrambled.

Several users see the new thread. Among them is Jeffrey of YOSPOS, who sees the post and reads it, decoding it in the context of somedetailedchildren's cartoon fanfiction GJB had been posting earlier. He decides he's had enough. GreyJoyBastard is demodded and permabanned.

What have we learned?
First, what you mean isnt the same as what you say, or what your audience hears. Your ideas or beliefs or intentions have to be converted into a message, which travels through a medium that further distorts its content, and then has to be interpreted by the recipient.

Second, to communicate your meaning, you have to think about how the message will be received. Its not enough to care passionately about your beliefs. Hell, caring passionately can make it harder to communicate! You need to be able to anticipate how your message will be mediated to construct your message so that it conveys your desired idea and your audience will understand it. GreyJoyBastard didnt have too much of a chance because of radium, but if hed included a short message at the top of his post saying I understand this is not like my usual posting, but I promise this thread is not related to my collection of My Little Pony alternate universe harem novellasit might have helped. He needed to think about how the forums could screw up his message, and how his target audience doesnt share his well-known love of 1980s camp cinema and costumed horse romance.

If you dont actively think about how your message will be mediated and received, and how it relates to your goals, youre talking to yourself, not others. You're masturbating, not communicating. DPPH is closed. We try to discourage that practice these days.

Third and most importantly, all messages are mediated.
When we usually think of media, we think of getting information from an outside source, like a newspaper, that mediates the message. But every medium, every source, selects and influences how a message is shaped and ultimately received.

Whats more, messages are mediated many times over. When you see and post a tweet that contains a link to a news story, the reporter is a mediator for the message- but so is the source for the story, and the way they talked to the reporter, and the editor, and the newspapers social media account, and the person who retweets it, and the twitter formatand so are you, the person who posts that tweet on the forums.

When we think of media literacy, then its not just about understanding how the news media operates. We get information in all kinds of ways, and very little of it is only mediated by reporters. Media literacy is about understanding how the process of communication affects the messages we receive, and how we can better participate in communication, as message creators and receivers.

i liked the pictures best

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

no way this motherfucker doesn't have a forked snake tongue in there

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I dunno, lobster is really good as a base for butter and garlic

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

any food with bones still in or shell still on make me feel weird, too much of a reminder that its an animal and also tends to be too messy to eat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
can i please have just one thread without people threatening to kill the mods

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Megamissen posted:

any food with bones still in or shell still on make me feel weird, too much of a reminder that its an animal and also tends to be too messy to eat

Ive never had more discomfort around food than watching my grandmother break open chicken bones and suck the marrow

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

can i please have just one thread without people threatening to kill the mods

Why do you hate fun, Al!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’ve never had more discomfort around food than watching my grandmother break open chicken bones and suck the marrow

lol i used to do that to gently caress with people. just chomp the bones with my molars and watch em squirm