Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Outrail posted:

Cast shatter on the wall behind enemies... and it scales with level? Fantastic feature, definitely not a bug.

the situations this occurs in are very specific and a consequence of bad decisions like trying to shawshank redemption out of a prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

scary ghost dog posted:

its just buffed giant spider enemies, they get stronger every time. some day i’ll think of a plot reason

Time to bring in the Spider Dragon.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Newish DM asking for advice again!

I have a Rogue player who, thanks to how he was playing the character, became super excited to play the Inquisitive subclass. I love the decision and am even planning on changing a few social encounters along the way to give him a chance to flex. However his character is super not built for it - he has a +0 for Wisdom and no Insight proficiency. Other players are a bit more optimized (we have a particularly clever Battlemaster Fighter and a clever Wizard) so I wanted to help him refocus his character a bit.

My thoughts:

1) I'm planning on giving him Insight proficiency, but only after he's completed actions related to his subclass (using Insightful Fighting, looking for clues/secrets, sniffing out lies/truths). I'm town between doing this completely in secret, or telling him I'm tracking actions (but not what the actions are) to encourage him to explore the subclass.

2) I wanted to tweak Insightful Fighting to give it more use beyond Sneak Attack, since he's playing more ranged than melee and he has been getting Sneak Attacks anyway through other party members in combat. My idea was:

If you have Insightful Fighting active on a creature, you may spend a bonus action to perform the Insightful Fighting check again (Insight vs Deception). On a success, you learn some information about how the creature plans to spend its next turn, such as actions or movement the creature may perform. This does not guarantee that the creature will act in this way (such as if the plan becomes impossible or if the battlefield situation changes significantly) and your insight cannot be communicated to the party without spending an action to warn them.

This would not be "tell him exactly what I'm going to do" but something I'd use discretion on. Like "the wizard is preparing to cast a spell and is eyeing Bob" instead of "the wizard is going to Polymorph Bob then run 30 feet north".

I'm looking for feedback - do these ideas work to add a bit of flavor/utility, or are they going too far in ways I'm not seeing?

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 12, 2024

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
1) Giving out feats or proficiencies to players is fine if it makes sense and if their characters earn it. Just make sure you are spreading the love. I would also advise that your Rogue take Observant when they get access to a feat.

2) Inquisitive Rogue definitely needs some tweaking. Ear for Deceit should be expanded so all Insight rolls are at least an 8 on the die. I've also seen where Insightful Fighting lets you choose between having advantage on the target or the target having disadvantage against you.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm playing an inquisitive rogue right now and if your DM allows flanking, Insightful Fighting is pretty much useless most of the time. You can do Steady Aim to give yourself advantage if you're a ranged fighter, and if you throw yourself into melee it's redundant. Not to mention that cunning action stuff is usually a better use of your bonus action than marking a single target.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

YorexTheMad posted:

1) I'm planning on giving him Insight proficiency, but only after he's completed actions related to his subclass (using Insightful Fighting, looking for clues/secrets, sniffing out lies/truths). I'm town between doing this completely in secret, or telling him I'm tracking actions (but not what the actions are) to encourage him to explore the subclass.

Absolutely tell him you'll give him proficiency by completing actions related to his subclass, don't keep that part a secret. I wouldn't tell him specifically what you're tracking, though.

quote:

2) I wanted to tweak Insightful Fighting to give it more use beyond Sneak Attack, since he's playing more ranged than melee and he has been getting Sneak Attacks anyway through other party members in combat. My idea was:

If you have Insightful Fighting active on a creature, you may spend a bonus action to perform the Insightful Fighting check again (Insight vs Deception). On a success, you learn some information about how the creature plans to spend its next turn, such as actions or movement the creature may perform. This does not guarantee that the creature will act in this way (such as if the plan becomes impossible or if the battlefield situation changes significantly) and your insight cannot be communicated to the party without spending an action to warn them.

I think that might be going too far, since unless you're pausing to text the player, the rest of the table is going to hear that and will probably subconsciously metagame their turns.

Personally, a tweak I'd like for Insightful is for Ear for Deceit to change from 7 or lower on the die is considered an 8 to - at Rogue level 11 - if the rogue is proficient in Insight, an 11 or lower on the die is considered a 12. (As in a +2 bonus over the baseline of 10 from Reliable Talent.)

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that might be going too far, since unless you're pausing to text the player, the rest of the table is going to hear that and will probably subconsciously metagame their turns.

I had planned on giving the info exclusively to him by text or passing a slip of paper to avoid table metagaming. I wanted to try and capture the "figure out clues" flavor as a combat ability. I may do the advantage / disadvantage suggestion given earlier instead.

quote:

Personally, a tweak I'd like for Insightful is for Ear for Deceit to change from 7 or lower on the die is considered an 8 to - at Rogue level 11 - if the rogue is proficient in Insight, an 11 or lower on the die is considered a 12. (As in a +2 bonus over the baseline of 10 from Reliable Talent.)

This is a great idea but level 11 is a LONG way off.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Inquisitive rogue kinda seems designed to foil DM plans and plots without the player's input.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

YorexTheMad posted:

This is a great idea but level 11 is a LONG way off.

True, but that was just me complaining that Ear of Deceit's automatic 8 on Insight ceases to exist at Rogue level 11 because it's replaced by Reliable Talent's automatic 10 on all proficiencies.

(One day I want to play an Inquisitive Rogue, even if it does get derided as underpowered.)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm just really confused why you take inquisitive rogue, a class that revolves around insight checks, and not have proficiency in insight.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Not exactly insightful really

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Alright I got a question about Curse of Strahd and I feel like I can really only ask here because I think everyone I play with is super online browse reddit (hell they might see it here). Gonna spoiler a lot I guess.

I died, I took a deal with some dark figure and came back as undead. Before that my character was having bad dreams and learned that the dreams were similar to Strahd's, and he went to the Amber Temple and got "godlike" powers. Now my character, a paladin, is an oathbreaker thanks to the deal. Is it conceivable to go to the Amber Temple and follow Strahd's step, gain godlike powers, and replace him?

This plan seems so outlandish and foolish I really don't want to risk bringing it up if it's literally the dumbest thing you guys have heard up.

e: not asking for more than a "sure try it" or a "no, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard", no need to spoil the Amber Temple or anything.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Certainly go for it, if your group is playing it as written you will end up with alot of interesting benefits if nothing else.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

The Shame Boy posted:

Certainly go for it, if your group is playing it as written you will end up with alot of interesting benefits if nothing else.

Awesome thanks, yea the DM seems like he's very by the book, but I don't know much about Curse of Strahd so I can't tell, just going off his word.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Absolutely go for it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Morrow posted:

I'm just really confused why you take inquisitive rogue, a class that revolves around insight checks, and not have proficiency in insight.

It's a new player who was using a premade character from the module, and he ended up favoring that style of figuring things out (and is the party's face to boot). So he hadn't looked at subclasses or planned his character from the start like a lot of more experienced players likely do.

I'm not going to stop him from doing something he really wants to do, so instead I'm wanting to give him a chance to grow into the role and earn the proficiency.

Edit: Before the comment is made, yes, myself and other players did talk to him about different subclasses he was considering and laid out pros and cons of each. He knew about the drawbacks and chose Inquisitive anyway, so I want to respect that and help him enjoy the class rather than tell him no.

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 13, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It seems like you’ve got a good plan, and crucially it’s one that is enabling the player’s choices rather than replacing them. Giving them something of the private quest “Discover your class abilities” seems like it’ll work, particularly if they’re a gamer who’s familiar with those sorts of tutorial elements. My suggestion would be to offer the reward as one of two feats: Observant (+1 INT/WIS, +5 bonus to passive checks) or Skill Expert (+1 Ability, add a proficiency and an expertise). This would give them a mechanical engagement and keep them in the driver’s seat of their character development.

Also, this sort of personal quest should be replicated for the other players as well. They don’t all need to be “understand your class” tutorials, but engage with each of them and showcase their characters backstories, motivations, capabilities, etc. The end reward should be the same - a choice of two appropriate feats.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Grem posted:

Alright I got a question about Curse of Strahd and I feel like I can really only ask here because I think everyone I play with is super online browse reddit (hell they might see it here). Gonna spoiler a lot I guess.

I died, I took a deal with some dark figure and came back as undead. Before that my character was having bad dreams and learned that the dreams were similar to Strahd's, and he went to the Amber Temple and got "godlike" powers. Now my character, a paladin, is an oathbreaker thanks to the deal. Is it conceivable to go to the Amber Temple and follow Strahd's step, gain godlike powers, and replace him?

This plan seems so outlandish and foolish I really don't want to risk bringing it up if it's literally the dumbest thing you guys have heard up.

e: not asking for more than a "sure try it" or a "no, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard", no need to spoil the Amber Temple or anything.

Do it! When I played CoS, my evil druid refused all those shits in the Amber Temple because they weren't Malar and thus not worthy of his devotion, but my goal was to replace Strahd as the Dark Lord of Ravenloft, and I accomplished it by helping my friends eliminate all the other possible candidates and taking control of the evil druid sect and converting them. Basically, I don't think it's a real Ravenloft campaign if one of the PCs isn't gunning to take over the domain.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Kaal posted:

It seems like you’ve got a good plan, and crucially it’s one that is enabling the player’s choices rather than replacing them. Giving them something of the private quest “Discover your class abilities” seems like it’ll work, particularly if they’re a gamer who’s familiar with those sorts of tutorial elements. My suggestion would be to offer the reward as one of two feats: Observant (+1 INT/WIS, +5 bonus to passive checks) or Skill Expert (+1 Ability, add a proficiency and an expertise). This would give them a mechanical engagement and keep them in the driver’s seat of their character development.
Thanks! I'd been thinking about Skill Expert for him but I think I'm going to have him work on the proficiency for now and have the feat an eventual (hidden) reward if he uses his skills in crucial moments.

quote:

Also, this sort of personal quest should be replicated for the other players as well. They don’t all need to be “understand your class” tutorials, but engage with each of them and showcase their characters backstories, motivations, capabilities, etc. The end reward should be the same - a choice of two appropriate feats.

I'm actually working on this for my other players too. Our Wizard stumbled into wanting to become a master magic chef so we worked together making some rules for learning how to cook. Our Fighter is trying to graduate from thinking they're a leader into actually being a leader. Still working on ideas for my other player but agree it's important for everyone to feel like they are getting similar opportunities to play amd grow.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Nice job then! Working in new abilities as components of an overall feat could be a good way to organize the rewards equitably. There's a few different feats that your players might be interested in. Chef (+1 in Con. or Wis., proficiency with cook's utensils and cook special food to regain hp.) and Inspiring Leader (Up to 6 creatures within 30 ft of you can gain temporary hp equal to your level + your Cha. modifier.) would be fairly on the nose, but there's also stuff like Prodigy, Sentinel, Alert, or Tough that can be broadly appropriate: https://www.aidedd.org/dnd-filters/feats.php

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PeterWeller posted:

Do it! When I played CoS, my evil druid refused all those shits in the Amber Temple because they weren't Malar and thus not worthy of his devotion, but my goal was to replace Strahd as the Dark Lord of Ravenloft, and I accomplished it by helping my friends eliminate all the other possible candidates and taking control of the evil druid sect and converting them. Basically, I don't think it's a real Ravenloft campaign if one of the PCs isn't gunning to take over the domain.

Oddly enough absolutely none of our characters, even the evil one, actually wanted to take over Ravenloft. Admittedly a lot of it was the place was horrible enough to us that nobody wanted to stay anywhere NEAR it once we finally got a chance to escape; I rather expect any song my bard character came up with post-campaign about Ravenloft would have had the lyric "gently caress that loving place" in it somewhere. I seem to recall the general opinion from the party over the whole hinted "maybe Strahd will return from the dead!" thing was "it'll be someone else's problem then!". Though out of character it was probably my favorite campaign I've played ever; we had the right level of competence to adventurer stupidity for it to be a blast. DM was great on the one-liners too; I'm still torn whether I laughed harder over when we tried to lure Mordekainen to the abbot for healing with a Sending spell and got back a reply of "Oh no, the voices in my head are back!!" or when we trolled Strahd by asking why he wasn't eating the lovely meal he prepared for us and he replied "Oh, I'll be dining later this evening" :drac:.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MadDogMike posted:

Oddly enough...

That's great. It reminds me of the 4E Dark Sun campaign I ran that was just the most wonderful clash of DS's serious social, political, and ecological themes with some of the most absurd gallows humor in-jokes, like the mundane bag that got used in a pair of questionable early adventures and became a precious party treasure called the Sack of Blood and/or Kidnapping.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sack of Endless Blood would be an interesting treasure to hand out, if only to see what horrors your players come up with.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Has any party in the history of D&D been given an Alchemist’s Jug and not made inappropriate use of mayonnaise before the campaign was through

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

HellCopter posted:

Has any party in the history of D&D been given an Alchemist’s Jug and not made inappropriate use of mayonnaise before the campaign was through

I haven't yet, with my dwarf alchemist artificer.

Used lots of lubricant/oil so far, though.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
There’s nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased dwarf.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HellCopter posted:

I'm carrying ours around and if we didn't use it for anything else that day, I'll make mayo circles around our camp at night to watch for footsteps

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HellCopter posted:

This depends on your definition of "inappropriate".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
*campaign long argument over mayonnaise vs butter for grilled cheese sandwiches, culminating in the paladin breaking his oath and joining the bbeg*

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there enough nutrition in the alchemy jug to avoid dying of hunger/thirst or scurvy?

As for CoS, how "icky dark" is it? A friend told me themes of SA (no not us) which if I was going to run the campaign next for my friends I'm probably not super comfortable with, how easy is it to like, keep it to either like subtext or excise all together? I run a "for all audiences" sort of ship.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just make sure to get the new revamped version if you can, which removes some of the worst bits of the original - the GRT stereotypes for the Vistani & Ezmerelda's 'shameful secret' being her prosthetic leg. Although it still leaves in the main issue of Strahd's backstory being that he's an incel and isn't that tragic and romantic.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PeterWeller posted:

This depends on your definition of "inappropriate".

is mayonnaise an instrument

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Having a dark lord of Ravenloft who went to therapy and actually fucks would make that place a lot better, or at least more interesting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

is mayonnaise an instrument

Unfortunately, Empty Sandwich, you will never learn the secrets of mayonnaise.

Doctor Yiff posted:

Having a dark lord of Ravenloft who went to therapy and actually fucks would make that place a lot better, or at least more interesting.

I don't think the Dark Powers are interested in well adjusted Dark Lords. Kinda puts a damper on the whole eternal ironic personal curse angle if the Dark Lord is aware of and working on their personal flaws.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Unfortunately, Empty Sandwich, you will never learn the secrets of mayonnaise.

I don't think the Dark Powers are interested in well adjusted Dark Lords. Kinda puts a damper on the whole eternal ironic personal curse angle if the Dark Lord is aware of and working on their personal flaws.

Dark Powers just looking for simps instead of people who are into evil for the love of the game. Tragic.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
We had an Alchemy Jug in Out of the Abyss. The caloric value of your daily mayo production was enough that we didn't have to scrounge for nutrients while in the underdark. It wasn't until we made it to safety that I made honey or wine for the party which was met with lots of griping.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well scurvy does take a few months to develop, but a diet largely consisting of mayo for calories is going to make me hate someone pretty hard pretty fast.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Doctor Yiff posted:

Dark Powers just looking for simps instead of people who are into evil for the love of the game. Tragic.

It's gothic high fantasy. It's supposed to be tragic. :v:

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

bird food bathtub posted:

Well scurvy does take a few months to develop, but a diet largely consisting of mayo for calories is going to make me hate someone pretty hard pretty fast.

"Yeah, We just told the barbarian the mayo was a protein supplement and it's supposed to taste like that, that's how you know it's good for you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

just make some fries to dip into the mayo, this is a solved problem