Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Lmao at Australia getting shafted by the USA after burning bridges with France. Bang up job there mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's something ironic about Spooner tilting at windmills by referencing Cervantes. What bugs me is that he probably doesn't realize it. :mad:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I love* when conservatives pretend they care about the environment, and also that somehow GREEN ENERGY is worse for the environment than just burning mountains of coal

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

I know he's an American political cartoonist, but for the rest of the world that uses metric what's this in Burj Khalifas full of tacos?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

Bill Bramhall

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

Lee Judge

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Peters

Mike Smith

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Randall Enos

Rivers

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Gee, how is he planning to do that third thing, I wonder? Some kind of ultimate resolution? A complete plan?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SubG posted:

I know he's an American political cartoonist, but for the rest of the world that uses metric what's this in Burj Khalifas full of tacos?

The Burj Khalifa is very irregularly shaped and I couldn't find a direct estimate of its volume. I calculated it to be about 1,461,887 cubic meters, but could easily be off by a pretty significant margin. Tacos naturally vary quite a lot in size, but let's say that it's 0.000883 cubic meters (approximating it as a semicircle 15cm long and 5cm thick).

Tacos tend to be a bit cheaper, so lets say that our Hypothetical Taco is about $5, so 1.46 trillion tacos.

That means our tacos are taking up 1,289,180,000 cubic meters, filling up just under 882 Burj Khalifas

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antigravitas posted:

Lmao at Australia getting shafted by the USA after burning bridges with France. Bang up job there mate.

Lmao that's not what's happening.

Also lmao at the idea that AUSUK means Australia is giving up any kind of independence. Almost your entire navy was built by foreign countries already and you have never had an independent defense policy either.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 14, 2024

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I mean yeah but it sure would be nice for Australia to one day come up with an alternative to handing over vast sums of money to other nations in return for no submarines.

Also it might of been nice to have the option of a bit of distance from where the USA is going politically over the next few decades given the likely places it could go.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Uh...that's a very...interesting way to draw Pelosi.

...I don't know how to respond to this one.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

I hope that within his lifetime, Ramirez will find out that carrying water for racists won't save him from their boots.

Though he's a little behind the times with the alt-right grievance network. Guess he hasn't caught up to that the Oscars are to be respected this year after sufficiently recognizing the accomplishments of white people.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

JamesBont posted:

What, you're confused by someone depicting the former Speaker of the House in an impossibly horny way? Whyever would that be a weird thing to do?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

loving christ, putting sex worker right after "minor attracted person" sure says a lot about Hitch

"This contest/vote is stupid and meritless and no one should pay attention. Wait, something that I can argue aligns with my views won? Uh, nevermind, it's actually based and matters a lot."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

loving christ, putting sex worker right after "minor attracted person" sure says a lot about Hitch

"This contest/vote is stupid and meritless and no one should pay attention. Wait, something that I can argue aligns with my views won? Uh, nevermind, it's actually based and matters a lot."

The contest is rigged unless I win, in which case it's completely valid is directly from Trump's playback. He was even doing it back in 2016 in anticipation of losing to Hillary.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The Twitter thread doxxing Stonetoss has been deleted, but is archived here. According to one of the accounts cited in the thread as being involved in the whole thing, this was not the poster's choice - Twitter nuked it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Given how keen he's been to hide his identity he probably raised hell with twitter to get it nuked, probably with the help of his fans

I doubt twitter did it unilaterally and I doubt Elon himself intervened, but then again I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn if he did

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Yeah, I figured as much and did a Google Image Search for 'car keys', but didn't get that exact one. Guess it's due to our respective locations or something. It's clear what Gorrell was doing either way, because he does it every drat time.

A.F. Branco

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell. Not just because it's a speech bubble and some labels on a badly compressed image, but also because we're still two weeks out from Easter (three weeks if you're Orthodox).

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I love how you can tell whenever Branco has a specific grievance to milk, and when he has forgotten about it and just goes back to "Donkey bad, make kill America".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

JamesBont posted:

Yeah I was not expecting to see 'big titty Pelosi' today

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Political cartoons 2024: I was not expecting to see 'big titty Pelosi' today

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tired: Titsy Tucker Carlson
Wired: Mommy Milker Pelosi

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Microplastics posted:

I doubt twitter did it unilaterally and I doubt Elon himself intervened, but then again I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn if he did

I would say that there's no way he would intervene on behalf of such a nobody, but he can uh be surprising sometimes. Earlier this week, minor far right Flemish (former) politician Dries Van Langenhove was sentenced to a year in prison (I think he can still appeal), and Musk actually reacted. By saying 'whoa' and nothing else, but still.

I decided to google 'Dries Van Langenhove cartoon' to make this post relevant and found a bunch of boomer-rear end cartoons linking meme to mémé (grandma) even though the two words sound nothing alike

'Dries Van Langenhove sentenced to a year in prison for right-wing meme'

"And after I had asked you to stay at home!"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
That last batch of cartoons got me thinking on how there's an enormous amount of reporting in the media on various problems and very few attempts by them to tell us the (real) causes of and solutions to these problems. Meanwhile, Last Week Tonight does exactly this and has had a deathgrip on whatever category it's in at the Emmys. Also, Bernie Sanders in general. Dude proved that with the right ideas, and a relentless desire to tell us the causes of and solutions to problems, you can at least fund a Presidential campaign off the backs of the not-wealthy. So... have they figured out that doing this more than once a week is more detrimental to them than the untapped goldmine of ratings they are aware exists?

(what happened to Bernie is probably the answer to my own question come to think of it)

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 14, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Islamic Shock posted:

That last batch of cartoons got me thinking on how there's an enormous amount of reporting in the media on various problems and very few attempts by them to tell us the (real) causes of and solutions to these problems. Meanwhile, Last Week Tonight does exactly this and has had a deathgrip on whatever category it's in at the Emmys. So... have they figured out that doing this more than once a week is more detrimental to them than the untapped goldmine of ratings they are aware exists?

When your show is a 300-level modern history article read aloud by a cheeky british guy you can only make like one a week.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

When your show is a 300-level modern history article read aloud by a cheeky british guy you can only make like one a week.
My point is this show has virtually no competition. Normally a strange thing for something very lucrative not to have

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

My point is this show has virtually no competition. Normally a strange thing for something very lucrative not to have

I'm answering your question which was why only one a week.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Because the answer tends to be “Capitalism”, and good luck getting that message on the air

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

There's no gold mine to be had. Emmys aren't ratings, and I would be shocked if LWT gets more than 2 million viewers a week.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Read some Hume or something Stantis you hack. Reason is the horse to passion's driver. Emotions tell you how you feel and reason tells you what to do about it. Nobody is driven purely by either.
They didn't believe that in a beep boop sense, the Enlightenment believed that reason would tell us how best to pursue what our hearts desire.

(Also in a lot of cases their hearts desired to own a bunch of slaves while not feeling guilty.)

I suspect similarly Stantis knows that the emotions behind his reasons are not for the public unfiltered.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's difficult to articulate why I despise Prickly City so much, since theoretically it's inoffensive by design, but I think that's precisely it. Stantis projects this air of moral superiority, but there's no substance to what he feels morally superior about, he never says anything, he never takes a stand except to dismiss those who do, there's just nothing. There are words in his cartoons, but they're completely empty and hollow. His output is an entirely pointless waste of time.

It's usually juxtaposed with the alcoholic duck, very similar in terms of decent art despite the blatant laziness, but even though I personally disagree with many of the things Fishman says, at least I understand the points he tries to make, and that there's an attempt at cleverness and humor, as perfunctory as it usually is. He's saying something, even if what he says is often stupid.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Guavanaut posted:

They didn't believe that in a beep boop sense, the Enlightenment believed that reason would tell us how best to pursue what our hearts desire.

(Also in a lot of cases their hearts desired to own a bunch of slaves while not feeling guilty.)

I suspect similarly Stantis knows that the emotions behind his reasons are not for the public unfiltered.

It was also restricted to wealthy, property owning white men. A very small subset of the population. They were not seeking and didn't want the collective wisdom of the people as a whole.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wow this one’s real hosed up, given he’s the one who keeps defaming the subject in question and can’t keep his mouth shut.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is it lucrative, though?

From its Wiki:

quote:

Across the TV airings, DVR, on-demand and HBO Go, Last Week Tonight averaged 4.1 million weekly viewers in its first season.

In comparison, the CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell averaged 4.83 million total viewers for the 2022-'23 TV season; Blue Bloods, the #1 Friday primetime program has 9.54 million viewers.

Last Week Tonight may have a huge number of Emmys, but that doesn't mean it's actually attractive to viewers and therefore advertisers because

Pants Donkey posted:

Because the answer tends to be “Capitalism”, and good luck getting that message on the air

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's difficult to articulate why I despise Prickly City so much, since theoretically it's inoffensive by design, but I think that's precisely it. Stantis projects this air of moral superiority, but there's no substance to what he feels morally superior about, he never says anything, he never takes a stand except to dismiss those who do, there's just nothing. There are words in his cartoons, but they're completely empty and hollow. His output is an entirely pointless waste of time.

It is, in a word, cowardly. Taking a stand on any issue on any side means you're automatically going to have a bunch of people disagree with you. Even taking a centrist stand does this; you'll often get people on both sides of the debate upset with you if you express some middle of the road ideas. So Prickly City doesn't even do that; it meanders gradually towards some political point, but just as it seems like it might begin to reach it, it immediately retreats to incredibly safe concepts like "it would be nice if people could be nice" or "sometimes politics sucks, doesn't it". It's like the creative team once got a nasty e-mail and are somehow still traumatized by it to this day. If you want to make some kind of political art, you need to have some kind of message, and Prickly City fails at that basic requirement almost all the time. Even Stonetoss has a (nazi) message it's trying to get across to you.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Apologies if this was posted earlier and I missed it.

https://twitter.com/libe/status/1767067934327742746?t=sHKPh-UphQoFhZ78vddwoA&s=19

"Not before sunset!"

Words fail me.

Nick_326 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 18, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Well okay then, was very wrong of me to assume a show widely-recognized as good is profitable

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

It is, in a word, cowardly. Taking a stand on any issue on any side means you're automatically going to have a bunch of people disagree with you. Even taking a centrist stand does this; you'll often get people on both sides of the debate upset with you if you express some middle of the road ideas. So Prickly City doesn't even do that; it meanders gradually towards some political point, but just as it seems like it might begin to reach it, it immediately retreats to incredibly safe concepts like "it would be nice if people could be nice" or "sometimes politics sucks, doesn't it". It's like the creative team once got a nasty e-mail and are somehow still traumatized by it to this day. If you want to make some kind of political art, you need to have some kind of message, and Prickly City fails at that basic requirement almost all the time. Even Stonetoss has a (nazi) message it's trying to get across to you.

Yeah, I agree. Being a 'centrist' does not have to mean you have nothing to say, and his cartoons come the closest to being vaguely interesting when they're clearly made from the perspective of a (presumably) lifelong Republican who hates Trump. There's a lot you can do with that, other cartoonists certainly have, comparatively speaking. The problem is that he rarely commits even to that perspective, instead it's usually this interminable, insufferable, vague bullshit about the state of modern political discourse, and how people should be nicer to each other, isn't humanity horrible, and so on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It's usually juxtaposed with the alcoholic duck, very similar in terms of decent art despite the blatant laziness, but even though I personally disagree with many of the things Fishman says, at least I understand the points he tries to make, and that there's an attempt at cleverness and humor, as perfunctory as it usually is. He's saying something, even if what he says is often stupid.
For me it's because it's so self-congratulatory yet empty.

PC hasn't addressed a real political issue in ages, let alone taken a stance on one. It's just the author patting himself on the back for being so much smarter than everyone else, who are drawn as moronic strawmen who say stuff like "I'm too stupid and emotional to vote right"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I’d love to have seen the colorist just nopeing the hell out of this one.