Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

Alright class that concludes our discussion of multitasking and context switching. Next week we'll cover intrusive advertising and telemetry... perhaps the very core of what makes a modern OS.

This is literally what the tech industry thinks, computers' only purpose is to juice consumption and consumer desire. People like to slag on the old hacker culture but for all their faults they had a vision for computing beyond "serve advertisements".

E: well there's also state surveillance

Cerekk posted:

I am once again encouraging you to just use Windows 7, the peak of perfection in operating systems.

We have encrypted your data because your OS hasn't received a security patch in years, please send $3000 in buttcoins to Bumfuckograd to get it back

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Woolie Wool posted:

This is literally what the tech industry thinks, computers' only purpose is to juice consumption and consumer desire. People like to slag on the old hacker culture but for all their faults they had a vision for computing beyond "serve advertisements".

E: well there's also state surveillance

We have encrypted your data because your OS hasn't received a security patch in years, please send $3000 in buttcoins to Bumfuckograd to get it back

If every windows release was updated with new drivers and security updates most of us would be on Windows 7. Nothing compelling has happened to the user experience since then. Windows 10 LTSC is pretty good at the moment as well so I'll probably be ok until 2027. Normally I'd have hope for Windows 12 being the good one but it'll be the AI one so we can write that right off.

Please everyone keep funding my next gaming OS with your steam deck purchases!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Facebook notified me it had removed one of my posts this morning. I was surprised to see said post was from six years ago in 2018. I copied the URL I posted into my search bar expecting to find some past hostile opinion on Republicans or cops but it was just an image gallery of a metal cutout of the Witch King for a firepit.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Jelly posted:

Facebook notified me it had removed one of my posts this morning. I was surprised to see said post was from six years ago in 2018. I copied the URL I posted into my search bar expecting to find some past hostile opinion on Republicans or cops but it was just an image gallery of a metal cutout of the Witch King for a firepit.

glad to see they're finally addressing the scourge of angmar

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

euphronius posted:

Word won’t auto save locally anymore

It’s incredible

The other day I tried to save a Word document and I was presented with a "save to" interface that I'd never seen, and it took me way too long to figure out how to save my poo poo NOT to One Drive and NOT to this weird folder that doesn't even tell me the directory path but just to save it to where I want to goddamn save it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

The other day I tried to save a Word document and I was presented with a "save to" interface that I'd never seen, and it took me way too long to figure out how to save my poo poo NOT to One Drive and NOT to this weird folder that doesn't even tell me the directory path but just to save it to where I want to goddamn save it.

My favorite OneDrive anecdote is when my coworker said he couldn't stand OneDrive because he's constantly losing access to his files. My manager jumped in and said that OneDrive is great, we all need to get on OneDrive, it's going to make things so much easier... as he was searching through OneDrive finding the file that he had saved. He eventually just had to use a local save instead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes files often won’t save to one drive, or be the wrong version, or take a day or two to move to another folder.

No one likes it or knows how to share files through it

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
I didn't know about one drive storing poo poo to the clown until one day I got a "hey remember this day a year ago?" email which auto loaded a whole bunch of photos of an extremely traumatic event I had. Completely hosed me up the rest of the day. Thanks real helpful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

My favorite OneDrive anecdote is when my coworker said he couldn't stand OneDrive because he's constantly losing access to his files. My manager jumped in and said that OneDrive is great, we all need to get on OneDrive, it's going to make things so much easier... as he was searching through OneDrive finding the file that he had saved. He eventually just had to use a local save instead.

At least our implementation results in two "Documents" folder on your computer where some applications use one, and others use the other.

Depending on how you open the One Drive version, it also won't let you drag and drop files anywhere, like the desktop or an email

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ne Cede Malis posted:

I didn't know about one drive storing poo poo to the clown until one day I got a "hey remember this day a year ago?" email which auto loaded a whole bunch of photos of an extremely traumatic event I had. Completely hosed me up the rest of the day. Thanks real helpful.

They're going to feed all those pictures to an AI and you're going to see hallucinations of your trauma in a fake amazon product listing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Ugh yeah 'remember this day last year' has been having me relive the final weeks of the decline of my dad. June is going to be baller.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

mobby_6kl posted:

At least our implementation results in two "Documents" folder on your computer where some applications use one, and others use the other.

Depending on how you open the One Drive version, it also won't let you drag and drop files anywhere, like the desktop or an email

Yup. Big ol' same right here. It's just the dumbest poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yes files often won’t save to one drive, or be the wrong version, or take a day or two to move to another folder.

No one likes it or knows how to share files through it

When I was transitioning to Linux, accidentally booting up a Windows 10 install that was hidden on an unused partition on a hard drive caused it to wipe my OneDrive and destroy a bunch of writing and game modding stuff.

Welp, this system's local OneDrive folder is empty, guess it's time to sync by deleting everything to make the cloud folder empty too! :haw:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

b mad at me posted:

Raley's switched from Impossible Burger to Beyond Burger

They reformulated Beyond burgers to be shittier and cheaper so now more places are using them

No, not cheaper for the consumer at the grocery store

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The best part of one drive is if the internet is down you can’t do any work .

That is literally good I’m not being sarcastic

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol if capitalism kills them

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

When I was transitioning to Linux, accidentally booting up a Windows 10 install that was hidden on an unused partition on a hard drive caused it to wipe my OneDrive and destroy a bunch of writing and game modding stuff.

Welp, this system's local OneDrive folder is empty, guess it's time to sync by deleting everything to make the cloud folder empty too! :haw:

poo poo like this makes me never, ever want to sync anything to cloud storage.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

The best part of one drive is if the internet is down you can’t do any work .

That is literally good I’m not being sarcastic

accelerationism ftw

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I've still got my Documents folder, it just won't let me do anything with it. I wound up unhooking my OneDrive account from Windows, creating a new C:\Users\id\docs directory, copying everything into that folder, and then unpinning "Documents" from explorer and pinning "Docs" instead. It's a stupid solution that definitely will not cause trouble down the road, but it saves me from the immediate problem.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Time_pants posted:

poo poo like this makes me never, ever want to sync anything to cloud storage.

i think onedrive is just a lovely product. ive used dropbox and icloud for storage for many years and across many devices without issue

dropbox has gotten shittier in other ways but theyve never lost my files

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

thathonkey posted:

dropbox has gotten shittier in other ways but theyve never lost my files

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

It's insane how Microsoft lost that antitrust lawsuit for packing in Internet Explorer, and yet somehow the rest of this is completely okay.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

credburn posted:

Welcome to the resistance

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Time_pants posted:

It's insane how Microsoft lost that antitrust lawsuit for packing in Internet Explorer, and yet somehow the rest of this is completely okay.

seems like somehow things got worse for the consumer over the last 20 years for some unknowable reason :iiam:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Time_pants posted:

They won that suit in every way that matter. "Oh no we have to make every school run windows for free"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Time_pants posted:

Want to use Edge?

Are you sure you don't want to use Edge?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tunicate posted:

They won that suit in every way that matter. "Oh no we have to make every school run windows for free"

Oh no please don't make us GIVE future consumers crippled versions of our OS. OH LORDY, WHATEVER SHALL WE DO??

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

skooma512 posted:

Want to use Edge?

[YES, I'LL USE EDGE] [NOT NOW, REMIND ME LATER]

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Time_pants posted:

Microsoft is so wise to general trends in IT management. Cloud storage, going best in suite, and shadow IT all become discussions.

They send their sales people in for their periodic license discussion. Seemingly give away generous cloud storage that works great and is integrated with everything. For "free"

Gets written into policy pretty much everywhere you're going to avoid shadow IT security issues, lost work due to local storage issues, wasting money on extra licenses... by corporate policy you use loving onedrive. it's great it's free, just give it a shot!

Once they know it'll be a policy change before anyone ever gets back off it. gently caress you it doesn't matter how well it works or if it's even usable.

I don't understand how businesses can get hosed by MS the same way over and over and over and they fall for it every time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

skooma512 posted:

Want to use Edge?

I love edging

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My fridge is having temperature control issues and pisses water from the defrost cycle in the freezer into the fridge part. Reviews note similar issues. I guess you can just sell whatever bullshit and you're expected to just buy new fridges every 3 years.

Alternator replaced in my car a year or two ago. Throws charge system errors and battery lights. Hell if I know what kind of warranty applies or does not. I guess you can just sell whatever and you're expected to just buy another 300 dollar part in 2 years.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

skooma512 posted:

My fridge is having temperature control issues and pisses water from the defrost cycle in the freezer into the fridge part. Reviews note similar issues. I guess you can just sell whatever bullshit and you're expected to just buy new fridges every 3 years.

Alternator replaced in my car a year or two ago. Throws charge system errors and battery lights. Hell if I know what kind of warranty applies or does not. I guess you can just sell whatever and you're expected to just buy another 300 dollar part in 2 years.

No, Mr/Ms Skooma, you're expected to die

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

skooma512 posted:

I had an issue where I kept getting water on the floor under the 6 year old side by side refrigerator we have. Replaced the water pump because that was likely cause. did not fix. Eventually read about defrosting the freezer drain, so started looking in to that. I noticed that the freezer drain tube is just a tube loosely connected to the water catcher at the bottom of freezer, it's not a water tight seal, just shoved in there loosely. After having the back inside panel of the freezer off I could see the drain and I could feel the ice build up in the drain. The ice was making the drain water miss the loosely connected drain tube. I put a hair dryer on it and that was it.

Also noticed the drain tube does a vertical loop and I don't understand why.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Planet Money, cheerful herald of all the most malevolent of modern and unstoppable innovations, tells us that Dynamic pricing could be coming to a supermarket near you.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lots of people have posted about this already, but holy poo poo Samsung appliances are bad.
I bought a new fridge from them in May '22.
Nearly all of the plastic inside has broken in some way like plastic left in the sun for 10 years.
The exact replacement parts are hard to find and expensive. You'd think there would be some commonality in door shelves for Samsung fridges, and you'd be wrong.
What a piece of poo poo. We deep cleaned it the other day and the rolling shelf rails with wheels just disintegrated. Not even big pieces, loads of little pieces
Who still makes refrigerators that don't crumble into micro plastics dust 5 microseconds after the legally obligated warranty period expires?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Everything Samsung appliance is a total piece of poo poo and I have no idea how people are still buying them. This is also true for LG.

I'm not up and up on the latest in Fridges, but I'd probably point at a Bosch for something that is at least more likely to not just fall apart.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All my Whirlpool appliances have been mostly fine for the past 15 years. Had to replace a capacitor on the compressor for 10 bucks because it was making loud clicking noises as it failed to start the compressor. Microwave, gas stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer/dryer all tip top after 15 years.

I just jinxed them all, didn't I.

Edit: I remembered the fridge I also had the filtered water lever broke because it's all plastic. Had to use a metal screw to fix it up under the cover. Been fine since. But it's a terrible design to use plastic for hinges. Should have been metal.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 14, 2024

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Planet Money, cheerful herald of all the most malevolent of modern and unstoppable innovations, tells us that Dynamic pricing could be coming to a supermarket near you.

If this happens and we let them get away with it, we deserve everything that happens next.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There are only two brands that come to mind for me where the vast majority of their products I have bought or tried have been crap: Samsung, and Black & Decker. Samsung is typically considered a good tech brand by the general public and they absolutely do not deserve to be, and it's probably entirely because of their Galaxy phones and cheap TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There are only two brands that come to mind for me where the vast majority of their products I have bought or tried have been crap: Samsung, and Black & Decker. Samsung is typically considered a good tech brand by the general public and they absolutely do not deserve to be, and it's probably entirely because of their Galaxy phones and cheap TVs.
I think a lot of folks are impressed by their missiles and there's a halo effect from that on their fridges.