Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dandywalken posted:

new quad missile launcher datamined is laser guided, Commando from HD1.

if it doesn't work like the bc2 at4 then i'm going to sue the devs for emotional damages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hell yeah. I'm only level 16, but is there any guide-by-wire rocket (like Half Life 2's) in the game?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Not yet. Commando should fill that role in theory.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Breaker incendiary is the fireworks gun from the last John Wick movie and I love it for that

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

New laser gun is good. Just a touch slow if things get close.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

why does the continuous beam laser AR exist now that there is an alternative version that's effectively a straight upgrade across the board

if it's a slightly worse version of the slugger it could still be better in a lot of situations depending on how its recoil patterns/animations are

It handles like an autocannon aim lag wise.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I'm at work for another 8 hours. Can anyone do a trip report on the electric shotgun?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

So mad to be working today. I just want to liberate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So mad to be working today. I just want to liberate.
:same: :yeah: :mad::hf::smith:

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

magiccarpet posted:

New laser gun is good. Just a touch slow if things get close.

Sounds perfect paired with the redeemer.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nuebot posted:

I was so excited to finally try the JAR, took aim at the center of an automaton, and then fired half a dozen shots over each of its shoulders and between its legs. Eventually I hit it and killed it though, but it's just an insanely inaccurate weapon. You can be a foot away from your target, the dot dead center of the circle lined up center mass and shots will still go wild.

It's got really really bad handling and I wouldn't even bother trying to shoot precisely if you are going 3rd person.

FPS mode it's more tolerable but still very slow to settle unless you are crouched/prone - in which case it is a solid DMR that is still outclased by the Slugger in every respect.
Never taken it against bugs but it's 'decen't against bots - but again, Slugger has it beat for a similar 'slow firing high power' niche - it can 1 shot devastators and the JAR cannot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still 200+ medals away from being allowed to buy the Slugger :shepspends:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looks like I had to fork over another 15 bucks to democracy to unlock the Cutting Edge equipment.

I can see this becoming a trend where eventually I'll have paid for the game a few times over and ya know what? I think I'm ok with it.

Liberty isn't free, it costs folks like you and me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I am a first-person freddy but I do think the sickle's handling feels just fine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i can upgrade to deluxe to unlock the original premium warbond and get 1000sc to boot, right? or did i have to buy deluxe when I first got the game

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The worst was in Helldivers 1 when Snow Boots were behind a paywall. If you were the poor bastard without them on a snow map you basically Reinforced -> Fell Behind -> Died.

I paid the $2 to stop griefing my team with my slow rear end.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I was so excited to finally try the JAR, took aim at the center of an automaton, and then fired half a dozen shots over each of its shoulders and between its legs. Eventually I hit it and killed it though, but it's just an insanely inaccurate weapon. You can be a foot away from your target, the dot dead center of the circle lined up center mass and shots will still go wild.

I will readily admit that it's much more of a big primary than a bot primary, since even though it has great armor piercing it's much more efficient to just pick high accuracy weapons and aim for the bot's faces.

But for the bugs it's become my go-to if I'm not bringing the Arc rifle. Its ability to deal with all the armored medium bugs is really nice, you just punch right through hive guards and brood commanders without slowing down

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

space uncle posted:

The worst was in Helldivers 1 when Snow Boots were behind a paywall. If you were the poor bastard without them on a snow map you basically Reinforced -> Fell Behind -> Died.

I paid the $2 to stop griefing my team with my slow rear end.

You could make up for it with a jump pack but it was definitely pretty limiting (better not ever lose your pack) and I hope we don’t see a case in 2 where not having a premium unlock feels like sandbagging

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

So how does the game register completion of the weekly goal? I’ve done countless turn on pest control missions on each planet but only one (Fenrir) has been checked off. Do I need to be the host?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Disappointed that Sickle looks and sounds like you’re firing an assault rifle. Basically nothing like it did in HD1.

It’s pretty good but don’t know if it’s as good as Scorcher - with which you can double tap Hunters, and take out Spore Tower things from across the map.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Am I missing something or are bots just WAY harder than bugs? I'm level 16 and able to do bug missions on extreme with a full squad, but a comparable bot mission on challenging is a total poo poo-show from the moment boots hit the ground.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thats cus Bots shoot back. A LOT.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PantsBandit posted:

Am I missing something or are bots just WAY harder than bugs? I'm level 16 and able to do bug missions on extreme with a full squad, but a comparable bot mission on challenging is a total poo poo-show from the moment boots hit the ground.

Bots have guns.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

a fatguy baldspot posted:

So how does the game register completion of the weekly goal? I’ve done countless turn on pest control missions on each planet but only one (Fenrir) has been checked off. Do I need to be the host?

it's a community goal not a you goal

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Bots are just very different they tend to throw less at you, but everything shoots and rocket dudes abound. On the other hand even their heavies can be destroyed with medium penetration weapons. They're side objective buildings tend to be far gnarlier than the bugs though with jamming and the eye of sauron.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

i find bots much easier than bugs because you can take cover, outrun them and lose them in foliage and there are never any stalkers

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
More just wondering how I should be playing differently to keep from getting obliterated.

^Nice I'll keep that in mind

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think bots are that much harder once you learn to fight from cover, especially when there are rocket guys around.

Their big weakness compared to bugs is that it's much easier to destroy their outposts from a distance with stratagems.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

AndyElusive posted:

Looks like I had to fork over another 15 bucks to democracy to unlock the Cutting Edge equipment.

I can see this becoming a trend where eventually I'll have paid for the game a few times over and ya know what? I think I'm ok with it.

Liberty isn't free, it costs folks like you and me.

Honestly, I kinda hate it. The first thing that made me think it’s kinda gross was when I realized the default warbond dropped from 100 credits per page to 50 per somewhere halfway through. It’s far from the worst out there but I’m not sure it all lines up as nicely as people want it to re: being able to unlock them naturally through play. At level 26 I just have enough to buy a premium warbond through normal play and subsequent ones will only be slower to unlock since the bulk of my current balance comes from the 100 sets on the first few pages of the default warbond.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 14, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PantsBandit posted:

More just wondering how I should be playing differently to keep from getting obliterated.

^Nice I'll keep that in mind

You need to consider cover a lot more when fighting bots. Assuming you're in a group make sure people are bringing orbital lasers to take out bases, autocannons are also great for taking out bot factories from like a mile away and equally as powerful against the robots themselves. Travel as a group and watch for bot drops/flares and try to keep moving. At first I found bots to be way harder but as you move up the difficulties it sorta trades between bots/bugs for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

causticBeet posted:

Honestly, I kinda hate it. The first thing that made me think it’s kinda gross was when I realized the default warbond dropped from 100 credits per page to 50 per somewhere halfway through.
I mean, it's still 750 supercreds in total. 3/4ths of a warbond, and you'll almost certainly get more than the remaining 250 during the time it takes to get those medals.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I like shooting down bot dropships. Wish Autocannon could. For now I use EATs.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What if the bugs and bots decide to work together, and we have to fight both at the same time? Terrible.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

LazyMaybe posted:

I mean, it's still 750 supercreds in total. 3/4ths of a warbond, and you'll almost certainly get more than the remaining 250 during the time it takes to get those medals.

Sure, but if they continue to release these roughly once a month you probably end up having to spend $$ to get to play with the new toys, which kinda sucks in a game where there are like… 3 usable primaries and 1 usable secondary.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

You need to consider cover a lot more when fighting bots. Assuming you're in a group make sure people are bringing orbital lasers to take out bases, autocannons are also great for taking out bot factories from like a mile away and equally as powerful against the robots themselves. Travel as a group and watch for bot drops/flares and try to keep moving. At first I found bots to be way harder but as you move up the difficulties it sorta trades between bots/bugs for me.
how do you aim AC shots to take out bot factories, my shots always just impact without blowing anything up

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

how do you aim AC shots to take out bot factories, my shots always just impact without blowing anything up

Top of the vent hood so it deflects downwards into the vent. You gotta bank it off the armor.

You also have to be like, within 15deg arc of the front, you can't do it at a wide angle.

Edit: Or in the open door when bots pop out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

The little flaps that are extended up at an angle coming out of the chute are heavy armored, so if you hit those dead in the middle it deflects the shot straight down into the chute. Basically bank it in off the backboard. Once you figure it out you really can't miss as long as you're at a good angle.

Ravendas posted:

Edit: Or in the open door when bots pop out.
fwiw I never had this work once

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

causticBeet posted:

Sure, but if they continue to release these roughly once a month you probably end up having to spend $$ to get to play with the new toys, which kinda sucks in a game where there are like… 3 usable primaries and 1 usable secondary.
Yes. It is a live service game. Unless you play it a ton getting the new stuff as it comes out will mean spending money, and the spending of the playerbase is what funds continuous updates.

There's way more than 3 usable primaries, by the by. "Optimal", maybe like 3-4 depending on mission, but that's different.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

If bugs hit a critical mass you just dump a cluster bomb on your feet and you will be fine, if bots hit a critical mass you can't even put the inputs in because the whole screen is full of lasers stunning you and shaking your camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Ciaphas posted:

You kind of have to be pretty close to looking right at it then aim at the top angled plate above the vent so it ricochets down. It’s a bit tricky and not something I do from range very much