Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

if he tried a three maybe he woulda just won it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

are you familiar with demar derozan

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GoutPatrol posted:

https://x.com/_MarcusD3_/status/1768099173654569185

Demar is actually shooting a pretty respectable like 34-35% from 3

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Made it in time for tipoff

outstanding

while you’re there, can you to trip Sabonis like Larry david did to shaq that one time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is that weird old guy with the cowboy hat there

Is he still alive

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is jack nicholson there. I already know he's not still alive

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Idiot Lakers tried to beat the Kings at full strength, they would have won by 20+ if LeBron had just rested smh

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Made it in time for tipoff

How huge of Kings fan are you? How great was it to see them finish their sweep of the Lakers?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ghost Dog posted:

are you familiar with demar derozan

yes he's scared of a line

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
So... can we continue to see less Huerter for a while please?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The league must be pretty thrilled to have the play-in right now

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It just strengthens how right I am on the subject of the play-in being stupid when it's designed to benefit the team I cheer for directly.

At least this year with all the teams in the west likely being a few games 500+, it is a little less offensive to me than usual.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
gently caress back-to-backs. I don't think the Pacers have won a SEGABABA all season

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Is that weird old guy with the cowboy hat there

Is he still alive

It says kings on the floor

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm dumb lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

i know this will be thrown back in my face when the Kings get blown out next by a team missing half its starters and giving up 30 to a guy named after something you'd find in an ice cream truck but this is my mood right now

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

It just strengthens how right I am on the subject of the play-in being stupid when it's designed to benefit the team I cheer for directly.

At least this year with all the teams in the west likely being a few games 500+, it is a little less offensive to me than usual.

Play in is cool

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Play in is cool

I personally think having a 9/10 play in game when both teams suck absolute rear end is pretty boring, though not really all that big a deal in the long run.

Having a 8/9 play in game for the 8th seed would be better, though the 9/10 play in game should theoretically get less dire when the league inevitably expands to 32 teams.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 14, 2024

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paul Zuvella posted:

I personally think having a 9/10 play in game when both teams suck absolute rear end is pretty boring, though not really all that big a deal in the long run.

I personally think having a 8/9 play in game for the 8th seed would be better, though the 9/10 play in game should theoretically get less dire when the league inevitably expands to 32 teams.

I think really only Atlanta qualifies as suck-rear end this year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

I think really only Atlanta qualifies as suck-rear end this year

*glass crashing sound effect, Stone Cold walkout music plays*

*RD Mangles begins furiously typing a post*

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Having a 8/9 play in game for the 8th seed would be better, though the 9/10 play in game should theoretically get less dire when the league inevitably expands to 32 teams.

Last year the west 9/10 was OKC and Pelicans who were both pretty good, and the Bulls/Toronto who were flawed teams but not neccessarily sucking absolute rear end. Chicago almost beat the Heat in the 2nd play in game and the Heat made it to the Finals.

This year in the West the 9/10 teams are probably going to be 45+ game winners with cores that won recent championships. The east is worse, but the Bulls will probably be ~.500 team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The issue with the west is that it has completely removed any tension from the end of the regular season for literally any teams. There is no bubble anymore that people can theoretically fall out of. Can you imagine how interesting it would be if one of the lakers or warriors were going to miss the play in?

I just think it ultimately makes the regular season less important rather than more. All it really does is make teams that are bad not completely bottom out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think the tension is trying to jockey for seeding. It's much better to be the 7/8 because you only have to win 1 game and not 2, and it's better still to be the 5/6 since you don't have to do the play in, and it's better still to be the 3/4 since you get HCA in the first round, and better still to be the 2 seed since you're going to be playing a 7th seed that just had to fight through a play-in game, and its better still to be the 1 seed since you're playing a team that just had to fight through 2 play in games.

There's always been a kind of malaise at the end of the season for some teams, but I assure you those bottom teams are going to be fighting tooth and nail to get as high of seeding as possible.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You trade race to the end of the season bubble drama which really only helps out ESPN talk show segments with the potential for a LeBron vs. Curry single elimination game which would probably be a ratings bonanza

And also as mentioned multiple times by Lowe, the play-in has had the desired effect of more teams deciding not to blow it up at the deadline. Yeah you have the example of Dallas last season and this year the 7-10 teams in the west were never going to stop trying, but the play-in has seemed to largely had the overall effect the league wanted and we've got some good extra games out of it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 14, 2024

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

i know this will be thrown back in my face when the Kings get blown out next by a team missing half its starters and giving up 30 to a guy named after something you'd find in an ice cream truck but this is my mood right now

I was right there and it was clearly an offensive foul

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

I was right there and it was clearly an offensive foul

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Darvin Ham is a head coach in the NBA
https://streamable.com/w0m257

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

The issue with the west is that it has completely removed any tension from the end of the regular season for literally any teams. There is no bubble anymore that people can theoretically fall out of. Can you imagine how interesting it would be if one of the lakers or warriors were going to miss the play in?

I just think it ultimately makes the regular season less important rather than more. All it really does is make teams that are bad not completely bottom out.

You are watching a completely different west than the rest of us lol the tension is insane

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

the play in IS the bubble. literally every season now comes down to the final two games to see who makes the playoffs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Metapod posted:

You are watching a completely different west than the rest of us lol the tension is insane

that too. the top 3 teams are a 2 week ankle injury to jokic/shai/edwards from being in danger of falling to the play in. everyone else in the pictures is literally 3.5 games at most from flipping playoff to play in, and with everyone so close home court is going to matter a lot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DeimosRising posted:

that too. the top 3 teams are a 2 week ankle injury to jokic/shai/edwards from being in danger of falling to the play in. everyone else in the pictures is literally 3.5 games at most from flipping playoff to play in, and with everyone so close home court is going to matter a lot.

I wish the Mavs were in the East.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

There's tons of tension. The top four seeds (maybe just top three now depending on Kawhi) jockeying for that top spot and HCA throughout (or even just in the second round). The 5-8 seeds competing to avoid the playin. The 8-10 trying to secure that 8 seed so they don't have to win twice to get in. It rules. And there's still enough games left that one team could go on a run to move up a "tier" that I just described.

The play-in rules.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Demar absolutely owns and it is really cool that he has been NOT THIS GUY-ing the league for so long with no signs of stopping.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I like the play-in. If it's stupid, even better. Sports are stupid!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It sucks that he just had to run into the Wall of Lebron over and over again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The play-in helps the west more than the east, I always felt it was some bullshit that the west 9th would be like 4th in the east for so many years

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

It sucks that he just had to run into the Wall of Lebron over and over again.

Those Lowry/DeRozan Raptors teams were legit great and definitely championship calibre but Lebron liked the East so

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Whoa looks like AD peed his pants. 0-10 against Sabonis

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Paul Zuvella posted:

you need more tension than reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Didn't realize LeBron was about to break this record.
https://twitter.com/pablofindsout/status/1768323475859464438

Wouldn't LeBron have already passed the record if Olympic points are counted? Is the record just points scored with clubs?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 14, 2024