Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Caidin posted:

Dirge was based on a lovely multiplayer mode about being a deepground grunt instead of actually designing it as a spectacle gunplay and monster mash thing they really should of at least tried for from the ground up.

As for the Aerith, I dunno I don't think I really care for the way it was done. I left Remake excited and speculating about it all go now and things have rerailed in a sufficiently muddy fashion that really feel my hypes really there anymore. Maybe they'll do a weird Zack thing but probably nothing going as far as I like.

I'm sorta there regarding speculating and being excited about what might happen in the next one (in the sense of being different I mean or thinking about the implications!!!) but I am still excited to play it and enjoy 95% of it ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

ImpAtom posted:

I think if nothing else spending like 100 hours with this version of Aerith is inherently going to connect people to her more than spending 15~ with her in the original.

Yea rewatching her speech at the river of lights and her saying “for once I’m ok, happy even” is loving heartbreaking.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea rewatching her speech at the river of lights and her saying “for once I’m ok, happy even” is loving heartbreaking.

The vision with her mom dying and her last scene with Cloud in the church both turned my stomach more than her death. In hindsight though, since Aerith's story clearly has more to cover beyond the holy summon at the end, her death scene being less final doesn't bother me as much. I'll echo ImpAtom in saying that I'm still mixed on her being playable in the final Sephiroth fight though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't think he lost his mind so much as he's opened Kingdom Hearts and realised what the lifestream was, but in doing so lost touch with the current reality. All of it will come to head in the sequel and land on a similar endnote to the ending of ff7 og when he's holding Tifa and they go "let's go see her"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I'm very curious to go through these games with my wife sometime this year. She's not very online and she doesn't know that Aerith dies (I have no idea how someone can play video games and not know that). A couple years ago, she played a few hours of og FF7 (she just got to the end of Midgar) before getting bored with it. She really liked Aerith too. lol

Being that she has no knowledge of FF7 and the expanded FF7 video game universe, I'll be curious to see if she finds the game hard to follow or confusing at all.

I'd be interested to hear what she thinks!

I've been playing through these games with my fiancee, who also didn't know anything about FF7 going in, aside from "is that the one with that Sephiroth guy?" She didn't know about Aerith's death in the original, either, though unfortunately she was spoiled on that after we finished Remake by a podcast her brother was listening to in the car :negative:

She's been loving it, though. I think it helped that the characters are so well portrayed and so much fun that she was sucked in and immediately started to care about them all. All the Whisper stuff has been confusing for her, but it's also confusing for me, just in a different way, so that hasn't really been an obstacle to overall enjoyment for either of us.

I don't think she caught on that Zack is "supposed" to be dead until it was outright spelled out, but she did figure out that Cloud was the random motion sick trooper in the Nibelheim flashback all on her own.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It seems like Aerith and Sephiroth are both multiversal entities doing battle primarily in the astral plane (lifestream) while influencing events on the ground, and so you can't really kill Aerith by stabbing her any more than you can kill Sephiroth by stabbing one of his clones. Aerith lost touch with what it meant to be a Cetra but reconnects to it over the course of the game; the hollow materia is swapped out when she gets in touch with her other potential selves and realities. For Cloud, as is the case with a lot of stuff, he's somewhat in touch with the truth of things (that she isn't "dead") but since he's kind of insane her can't distinguish it from his fantasy of having saved her.

That, or there really is some kind of divergent reality poo poo going on where Sephiroth "cheated" to still stab Aerith after Cloud stopped him, and Cloud is stuck in a kind of liminal parallel space that will be super hard to unravel because he's also completely out of his mind. I guess we'll find out in 5 years when the next game comes out!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 13, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

My wife didn't mind OG FF7 but hates the remakes because of all the padding. She also hates Aerith and pretty much anyone who isn't Barret or Cait Sith. She only passively watched me go through the game, and watched the end of chapter 13 and start of 14 up until the final boss gauntlet before falling asleep.

At the very least I can say planet's dyin' Cloud as much as I want now and have it be completely understood, and that's what truly matters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my fiancee doesn't mind the padding for the same reason I don't: it's fun to spend more time with the characters. But then again we've also played through multiple Persona games together so we've dealt with much worse pacing before lol

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

triple sulk posted:

My wife didn't mind OG FF7 but hates the remakes because of all the padding. She also hates Aerith and pretty much anyone who isn't Barret or Cait Sith. She only passively watched me go through the game, and watched the end of chapter 13 and start of 14 up until the final boss gauntlet before falling asleep.

At the very least I can say planet's dyin' Cloud as much as I want now and have it be completely understood, and that's what truly matters.

Im trying to understand how anyone can hate Aerith.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

I think my fiancee doesn't mind the padding for the same reason I don't: it's fun to spend more time with the characters. But then again we've also played through multiple Persona games together so we've dealt with much worse pacing before lol

Also see: any RGG game.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

My wife has watched me (passively) play both FF7 Remake games and over time it's slowly won her over. She said if she were to do Bang/Marry/Kill Cid would be her answer for all three, she appreciates Barret for being non-toxic masculinity, loves Tifa and Aerith's friendship, Red XIII is her favorite, and has come around to Cloud once realizing he was a tryhard dork cosplaying as a stoic badass and not just a generic stoic badass.

She even got a little choked up towards the end, which is odd because that's usually me (to be fair I also got choked up).

She wants to play through the games as soon as she gets sick of Baulder's Gate 3, which is perfect because by that point part 3 will have come out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Also see: any RGG game.

Yuuuup

We also did Yakuzas 0 and 7 together so yeah, wild pacing is just what we're used to in our story games.

I haven't played Infinite Wealth yet but I'm stoked to get to it once I'm done with everything I wanna do in Rebirth

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

Yuuuup

We also did Yakuzas 0 and 7 together so yeah, wild pacing is just what we're used to in our story games.

I haven't played Infinite Wealth yet but I'm stoked to get to it once I'm done with everything I wanna do in Rebirth

IW is, for better or worse, one of the most fun games with one of the most messy stories.

Not quite rubber bullet level, but it ain’t great!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

IW is, for better or worse, one of the most fun games with one of the most messy stories.

Not quite rubber bullet level, but it ain’t great!

Hey, this is a thread about the FF7 Remake trilogy. A fun game with a messy story is fine by me :v:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

Im trying to understand how anyone can hate Aerith.

She thinks she's an annoying pixie girl or something. Same for Yuffie

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I like the parts in nu-FF7 where Aerith is a little goblin who trolls people, but this game has a bit less of that.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Aerith's statement to Cloud that "I really like you...but then, liking is different from *liking*." Huh?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think part of that is her knowing Cloud isn't being his true self.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

goethe.cx posted:

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Aerith's statement to Cloud that "I really like you...but then, liking is different from *liking*." Huh?

I took it as her struggling to say that for her it goes beyond friend liking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

I took it as her struggling to say that for her it goes beyond friend liking.

It is the opposite I think. She likes Cloud but she doesn't *love* Cloud. The entire scene is her going 'Cloud, you are a nice guy but get your poo poo together.'

Combine that with the differences in dates and I assume the game is softly clarifying 'No, Tifa and Cloud are 100% a thing'

Aerith likes Cloud a lot but the guy she knows is a huge mess of conflicting personality traits. She repeats basically. 'Cloud needs to be himself'

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

That was kind of my initial read too--like she was saying that maybe she *could* love Cloud, but there was too much in the way. And yeah, between that, the gold saucer date, and Cloud and Tifa's moment after the Gongaga reactor, Square's definitely gearing up for Cloud + Tifa in part 3

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Tifa deserves the win too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I wonder if they're going to do anything different for the "real" flashback, now that they've paraded Zack around in this game and have already stated he was at least present.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

After sitting in it, I’m really happy with how the ending shook out overall.

When I got to the end I was really found myself thinking’please let Aerith survive’ because I’d gotten really attached to her and I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to her, like others have said I all but cheered when Cloud parried only to have her die anyway was a real gut punch.

I honestly feel like something’s going to be missing going into part 3 without her but I have to go on anyway, which if that doesn’t nail the theme of the OG game I don’t know what will.

I could have used a bit more time to process it before going into a boss gauntlet but seeing everyone’s reactions, Tifa’s especially, really got emotionally in a way I didn’t think I could get from a game anymore

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Azubah posted:

Tifa deserves the win too.

playing part 3 just for the steamy highwind scene

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It is the opposite I think. She likes Cloud but she doesn't *love* Cloud. The entire scene is her going 'Cloud, you are a nice guy but get your poo poo together.'

Combine that with the differences in dates and I assume the game is softly clarifying 'No, Tifa and Cloud are 100% a thing'

Aerith likes Cloud a lot but the guy she knows is a huge mess of conflicting personality traits. She repeats basically. 'Cloud needs to be himself'

Yea I agree with your interpretation.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I have to admit I was team Cloud/Aerith before Rebirth but now I understand the truth. Her song during the Loveless performance was a pretty close mirror to Yuna's song in X-2. Basically singing in front of a huge crowd of people, but the one person both girls are actually singing TO are not there to hear it. I had to go take a fuckin walk after that and sort my thoughts. Rebirth has one clear agenda: breaking the clerith ship for good lol

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Edit: Wrong FF7 thread. Disregard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I beat the game and I'm still kind of putting my thoughts together, but did they abandon the whole "This game is actually a sequel too" hook I felt the first one was going for? I had the impression both Sephiroth and Aerith knew what was coming in Remake, but I may have misread that. My prediction going into the game was that Sephiroth was going to engineer a way for Aerith NOT to die since her being a part of the Lifestream is what stops his plans in the OG game. I was somewhat surprised that they went with "Pretty Faithful, but way more gut wrenching remake" instead. The comradrie they built between the group and the scenes with Aerith near the end gave me hope they were going to get a little weirder with it but I guess we will have to wait until the next one to really see.

My prediction (that will be wrong) for part 3 is that the clear Materia that Cloud has is actually the materia the internet told me for decades would revive Aerith in Midgar. He has to "fill it up" again or something and then we get her back.

On a serious note, it does feel like Cloud is somehow still connected actively to these other worlds which is why he why he saw the Nexus at the end and no one else did. I still don't understand everything fully, but it may be that he was there for both versions of Aerith's death and he has to choose at some point. I do kind of wonder if he's traded in Aerith for Sephiroth for his little breakdown sequences in the next one and I think that could be interesting too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It just feels like they’re doing what they said they would: It’s the same main story and path with a little extra flavoring. We just won’t know if it’s a sequel or fan service until Part 3 is out.

Of course unless they have some interviews in the mean time where they say some wild poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's Rebuild of FF7

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

I had the impression both Sephiroth and Aerith knew what was coming in Remake, but I may have misread that.

Aerith definitely had some kind of foreknowledge--in Kalm she talks about how the Whispers took it away from her, which is what she meant in Remake by "every time the Whispers touch me, I lose a part of myself." But with Sephiroth it's more unclear. It's possible he never had foreknowledge in the first place and we all misinterpreted his goals. It's possible he did or still does have foreknowledge but his plan still includes killing Aerith for one reason or another (harvesting negative emotion or something?).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

After spending a couple of days squaring my thoughts with the game, I think I've settled on it being really great, but just feeling down on it because it's the 2nd part of a planned trilogy. This also makes the choice of ending it at the Forgotten Capital a lot more heart wrenching not just because of Aerith's death, but because Cloud as the main player character is at or near his absolute breaking point, and it's really painful to watch it happen to him and not have that pressure release (if you can call it that) that comes from the events at the Northern Crater.

The intrusive thought I had right as the post-credits scene rolled was "I guess this is how he can be so willing to hop on a snowboard so soon". my poor boy's spent the past two games slowly breaking apart

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I actually really don't like playing as Aerith, so her coming back for that final showdown with Sephiroth was not the fist pumping moment it was meant to be for me :lol:. I was like "oh on, can you send Yuffie instead?"

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it, it's a good thing that Cloud remembered that Zack is a guy that existed(even if he broke brain remembered it wrong) or else he would have been really confused during that last fight.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 14, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I always think I don't like playing as Aerith but somehow I always forget that under a barrage of pew pew noises followed by a double firaga

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really enjoy her play style but she has my ATB boost materia and gets her focus synergy with Cloud up as fast possible so the battle field can explode in a wave of damage cap when I'm fielding her

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What was the subtitle meant to represent? In Remake, it represented remaking the future and the world by screwing destiny and all that. What “rebirth” did we see here?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

What was the subtitle meant to represent? In Remake, it represented remaking the future and the world by screwing destiny and all that. What “rebirth” did we see here?

The end of the temple was called the stairs of rebirth and there's Bizarro Sephiroth Reborn. Beyond that, nothing I can see.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Given what we learned here I figure the third game will be called Reunion to allude to all three of Jenova, the conjoining of the spheres, and seeing Aerith again in some way. But that’s honestly a complete guess, I don’t know what they’re trying to do outside of what was already in the OG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Are we supposed to know or suspect what exactly Cloud did, or was invited to do, while seven seconds from the end?