Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Main Thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053680

Here be your thread to discuss all the spoilers. Red XIII is a robot? Cait Sith is secretly Sephiroth? Cid dies? It's all here and waiting for you!

Don't be a dick to people in the main thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

People saying spoilers are cropping up but where are they. All I can dig up are warning threads and ai generated articles about the warnings.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Copies are out there, but I'm pretty sure the only credible info is just impressions through the first few chapters and one screenshot of a saucer date

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s a dedicated Reddit thread for leaks on the r/FFVIIRemake sub. There was also a thread on ResetEra, but it appears to have been nuked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Warning: Apparently loving nerds are the worst and there are tons of post about Cloud + Tifa versus Cloud + Aerith: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/1aputg8/leaks_discussion_thread_and_subreddit_policy_on/?sort=new

Also warning: Endgame is alluded to there.

Stuff has also been leaking through 4chan but that place is awful and also unreliable.

The big thing seems to be a private discord where someone finished the game and asked people not to leak out information. Someone on reddit brought up the endgame from there, but then deleted the comment when everyone told him he went against the discord rules.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Information sequestration like that is untenable. The entire plot will be laid bare by Friday (and I will be here for it).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will genuinely say that it will probably be a better experience if you don't see everything beforehand but YMMV.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Save it for someone who cares about preserving that experience. I love spoilers. They build way more anticipation and hype than any amount of speculation. The journey to the context of a spoiler is way more compelling to me.

Good looking out, but I wouldn't be here if I cared about that sort of purity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Eh, dumb thing to say in the spoiler thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah some people, myself included, get the same enjoyment even after spoiling. I will ready everything that happens this week. I will enjoy the game. I will watch streamers react and enjoy that just as well. That's the life I chose.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm in kind of a middle position where I do prefer to be unspoiled, but a spoiler won't ruin the experience (and I also have zero self control, if someone posts black bars I WILL click them)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aeris is in the game

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SNAPE KILLS BUGENHAGEN

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it was a bold choice for the game to end with Cid 9/11ing the Highwind into the Shinra Building but I gotta say, I think it'll pay off in part 3

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I’m in the middle too. Like, general gist spoilers make me loving hyped and/or prepped for disappointment. I tend to save the gritty details and full context for the full play through.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I can't believe that Cloud was actually Diamond Weapon all along

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I can't believe these assholes...

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Thus far nobody seems to have credible information about the ending. A couple posters in the reddit leaks thread claim to have copies and have posted details about Gold Saucer dates

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

goethe.cx posted:

Thus far nobody seems to have credible information about the ending. A couple posters in the reddit leaks thread claim to have copies and have posted details about Gold Saucer dates

Yeah, the Reddit thread and a few others are just full of shippers foaming at the mouth. There’s one very recent ending “leak” in there though that sounds plausible and cool, but it’s probably not.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
hearing reports that sephiroth kills aerith but aeris who is from another timeline appears

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The things that haven’t been full on deconfirmed: Aeris dies but then wakes up in Zack’s world. Towards the end of the game it’s revealed that there are black ghosts and white ghosts with different motives. IMO Backs up some of that Lifestrem black / lifestream white short story. .

The thing people keep lightly talking about but no details or enough to run with: Sephiroth merges the two realities. Not sure how that would work if Aerith waking up is the stinger.

Cool but debunked: Cloud parries the hit and directs it into him, but the blade still makes its way through him and into Aeris.

Seems like the game is just so drat big that it’s going to take the people with early copies 60-80 hours to get there. Though I don’t know how easily the fmvs can be ripped.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Reddit shut down any and all discussion of leaks following external pressure from SE and others, not that anything substantial was coming from there anyway. Going to have to delve into the dark web for it now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Reddit leak thread got nuked, apparently due in part to a summary of the ending getting posted. Lol lmao. If anyone saw it, it was supposedly the version that popped up on Discord last night with (PURPORTED ENDING AND FINAL BOSS SPOILERS) Aerith dying, Cloud maybe suffering a mental break, Zack making an appearance via world merging shenanigans, and Bizarro Sephiroth, now called Sephiroth Reborn being the big bad final boss.

No clue if that's actually what happens, but the person who was dropping hints and impressions in the Reddit thread popped up elsewhere and implied this is fairly accurate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The Reddit leak thread got nuked, apparently due in part to a summary of the ending getting posted. Lol lmao. If anyone saw it, it was supposedly the version that popped up on Discord last night with (PURPORTED ENDING AND FINAL BOSS SPOILERS) Aerith dying, Cloud maybe suffering a mental break, Zack making an appearance via world merging shenanigans, and Bizarro Sephiroth, now called Sephiroth Reborn being the big bad final boss.

No clue if that's actually what happens, but the person who was dropping hints and impressions in the Reddit thread popped up elsewhere and implied this is fairly accurate.

Bizzaro Sephiroth, in the Japanese version of FF7, was literally named Rebirth Sephiroth, as in the English word Rebirth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dear god the leak threads everywhere are absolutely hilarious

It feels like different corners of the internet all came up with their own versions of what must happen in Rebirth, and now they're all colliding to have no-holds-barred absolute rage fits at each other over incomplete and conflicting leaks. Shippers are going absolutely nuclear, whether it's Clerith shippers going apoplectic over the kiss scene, or Cloti shippers losing their minds because Cloud can hold Aerith's hand, hardcore Clerith shippers who were dead certain Aerith would live being confronted with the possibility (no confirmation, just a maybe) that she won't live and fully melting down, Zack & Aerith shippers hoping for some kind of thing where she doesn't actually die and just hops timelines to be with Zack, Zack fans upset that Zack isn't the real main character in a MGS2 Raiden switcheroo, etc.

I have no idea what is and isn't real but I'm having a lot of fun reading the meltdowns.

ImpAtom posted:

Bizzaro Sephiroth, in the Japanese version of FF7, was literally named Rebirth Sephiroth, as in the English word Rebirth

I will say, if that particular leak is real, it sounds cool as hell. I admit I'm willing to spoil myself a bit because I have some... lingering annoyance about the way Remake ended, and I just wanted to calibrate my expectations appropriately. But if the Reborn ("Bizarro") leak is accurate then I gotta say I think that sounds hype and I'll be happy not reading any more spoilers and just going on in with a smile.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 21, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did the death of that reddit thread really kill the passing of leaks?

I don't know how to navigate 4chan and plan on never learning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That and an apparently accurate ending leak came out so everyone switched to arguing about that. And shipping.

On the topic of that apparently accurate ending leak: god it is wild to be on the other side of the argument now from where I was on Remake. I really didn't like all the Whisper and timeline stuff, though I know some people loved it. Those people seem to be the ones bitterly disappointed now, angry that the story seems to be largely following the original just like the creators repeatedly said in interviews. While I'm like "I dunno, sounds pretty cool."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Here's a minor spoiler I would like to know: does the game address why you start from scratch in levels/materia/weapons/etc or even if it does?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Here's a minor spoiler I would like to know: does the game address why you start from scratch in levels/materia/weapons/etc or even if it does?

Nope. You just do. That said a lot of stuff that was materia or skills is worked into a character's basic kit now, like Aerith's Familiar skill is now just something she can do by charging her regular attack instead of it being a separate ability, and everyone gets Deadly Dodge just by existing.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
I don't usually do spoilers but I can't play a 90 hour game just wondering if aeris is gonna die the whole time

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
aeris survives but aerith dies

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
tifa reveals that her real name has always been aeris

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everyone asks about Aerith. Does nobody care about poor innocent Cait Sith? :colbert:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pour one out for Cat Shee

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

More detailed explanations of the end are being posted:

quote:

First it's Jenova Lifeclinger with Aerith's Theme playing...then swaps between different pairs of characters as you take down its wings and head. Then the final battle in multiple stages:

Sephiroth Human vs. Zack and Cloud

Sephiroth Reborn is loads of phases and characters swap all the time. Starts with Z&C and you destroy the orange weak point thing at the bottom of it.

Then it swaps to the rest of the party, can't remember which three now, think it's Cait, Barret and Red against Bahamut Arisen Whisper. You take a third off then Reborn's wings start healing Bahamut it so you take out one wing, then take off next third of Bahamut health then kill other wing, then finally kill Bahamut.

Zack solo against Reborn's chest (the main body). There's some like magic circle on the floor with a big pink ribbon in it that acts as like a shield to some degree, probably symbolises Aerith is watching over him. Tifa, Barret, Yuffie against the yellow core, which has a Barrier until you destroy both wings (again). This kills Reborn.

Cloud and Aerith vs. Human Sephiroth

Gives me an idea that Part 3 has Cid fly us on Ed Force One instead of the Highwind.

Well the first definition I can see is "the junction of two rivers" ... pretty obvious what it's referring to.

Nope, think he's fully thinking she's there. Not even a force ghost, just her normal self. Invisible to everyone else.

Wish I'd hired you as a PA a week ago :D

Errrr, think I need to see it again but pretty sure it was to get Holy from Aerith but she gives it to Cloud in that world which somehow transfers to him having it in main world? Idk.

Oooh, another juicy thing no one has said which I forgot is that the Black Materia you get from the Temple, at least according to Cait Sith, is a fake and not the real one. Then Sephiroth says it's actually a key to the real Black Materia which is located between worlds like in the space area whatever it's called. Maybe the key one is the one Nanaki might give to the Gi and the main one Seph will use to cast Meteor.

Me and you both, and I've seen it :D

I genuinely don't think he's from the future btw, think this is genuinely just a retelling and not a sequel. A few things throughout the game sort of debunk that theory, unlike in Remake where it seems like Aerith etc. knows what might happen, didn't get any of that this time.

I'm fine with what they're doing but I don't like that everything from the first game could potentially be a red herring. Guess we just have to wait for Part 3, but I think using the Zack and whisper stuff to give more color to the same events and the story still being completed by Advent Children is just not as interesting to me, because I thought Remake was just so well done.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Dave posted:

I'm fine with what they're doing but I don't like that everything from the first game could potentially be a red herring. Guess we just have to wait for Part 3, but I think using the Zack and whisper stuff to give more color to the same events and the story still being completed by Advent Children is just not as interesting to me, because I thought Remake was just so well done.

What's interesting is this is essentially what the creative leads have been saying in interviews for years. The story of FFVII is being told, but there's a new mystery added on top of it. I think a lot of people assumed they were lying or somehow being misleading but it seems like that's what's actually happening.

Personally, I'm fine with it, but I would like to know what the Whispers stuff amounts to. It was so meta in Remake, but if it turns out that there really isn't some major divergence happening, I'm wondering what all that "beating fate" stuff was about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dave posted:

I can say that there's a lot of stuff there that is clearly half-understood or rushed.\

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 23, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well no one will stop you from telling us more!

My questions:

- Is the City of the Ancients like a full fledged area? Not that the original was big or anything.

- Does Bizarro Sephiroth look faithful to his OG design?

- What is the actual final shot of the game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm going to go ahead and put my big picture prediction here so that everyone can quote it and laugh at me when it's proven wrong (either in Rebirth or part 3):

There is no other timeline and Zack isn't alive. He's in the Lifestream. That's why Biggs woke up there in the ending of Remake: he died. I bet we'll see Jessie and Wedge in "Zack's world" at some point, too, if not in Rebirth then in part 3. It's also where the final battle from Remake took place--what Zack was seeing when he saw the dome of Whispers around Midgar was the arena where Cloud & friends were fighting the Whisper Harbinger and Sephiroth. That's why we open with Zack seeing the wreckage from that huge tornado. That whole fight clearly hosed poo poo up within the Lifestream.

This will finally be revealed in part 3 when Cloud falls into the Lifestream and wakes up in the body of the comatose Cloud in Zack's Midgar. Zack will then play a role in helping to heal Cloud's mind with Tifa, and also will support Aerith as she summons the Lifestream to stop Meteor at the end, possibly having his own final boss fight with Sephiroth in the Lifestream or something.

Why are there other people there? Same reason there are other people in the dreams in Inception: they're just projections of the Lifestream. Aerith could feel Zack's presence at the end of Remake because she can feel things happening in the Lifestream. Why does Marlene talk to Zack in Rebirth all mystical-like? Because she's a Cetra and we already know that Cetra can sometimes speak to the dead (see: young Aerith talking to Elmyra's dead husband).

Are there holes in this? gently caress yeah. Is it entirely possible that even Rebirth makes the above prediction impossible, and it won't even take until part 3 to prove it wrong? Hell yeah it is. I'm all-in on looking dumb as gently caress, let's goooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Costco Meatballs posted:

I don't usually do spoilers but I can't play a 90 hour game just wondering if aeris is gonna die the whole time

lol, that's the exact reason why I popped my head into this thread