Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Klon Klurf Kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

soon you’ll need a membership to skip the hour long lines

Someone on these forums posted about how a PCP in Seattle charges a monthly fee to be a patient there. Not a concierge medical service, just a normal PCP where you have to sit in the waiting room like an rear end in a top hat with everyone else but also pay a fee.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm taking doomsday econ to strange new places

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

err posted:

Yeah, it's this.

Even when you do buy a house, any repairs or upgrades are inflated heavily.

Yeah, hope you got a home that was built right after new codes were put into place in your area so it stays together a little longer. Also no crazy weather (lol)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Someone on these forums posted about how a PCP in Seattle charges a monthly fee to be a patient there. Not a concierge medical service, just a normal PCP where you have to sit in the waiting room like an rear end in a top hat with everyone else but also pay a fee.

That's my doctor. The corpos closed his office, he bounced around the area and came back to within a half mile of his old office but now we pay a hundred bucks or more a month to be allowed to be his patient.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

err posted:

And to explain to others why this is the case...

We've spent the past 50 years telling kids they should learn to program (like we did their parents after their jobs were shipped overseas) and looking down upon the trades like it was eating dogshit.

Now the pool of trades is small so it's expensive to get that kind of help.

Your general contractors/carpenters have gone where the money is which is specialization. They make way more money as a plumber, or electrician, or roofer than they did when they did it all, and increasingly started getting nickeled and dimed by customers.

So for the most part, a homeowner needs to either be flush with cash to pony up for repairs and maintenance or be handy enough to stuff DIY and/or know their limits.

A video I watched last year estimated of how many positions the trades have been losing as Boomers leave the workforce. The host guesstimated that if you are looking to have non-critical work done on your home like a renovation, you might as well can try doing it yourself. You can fail miserably at least three times in material expenses than what you will pay for a contractor. And that assumes you're ok with the contractor pushing you off for literal years as they pursue more lucrative jobs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the popes toes posted:

None of the IC jerks care if anyone smoked weed. If you deny it, they won't believe it. They'll happily accept, "a couple of years ago, once or twice but I quit," and if the poly confirms you're good. OK, ok, maybe the NSA jerks care, don't know about them, but that's where all the Mormons are.

the polygraph is pseudoscience bullshit btw

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

to comment on the above, my workplace relies on contract-based skilled construction workers. it's been BRUTAL getting people in the door post 2020 at the wages we pay, which are near the top-end of our industry, but not top-end for the SKILLSET. great carpenters have slid over to historical renovation/high end retail and left everything else behind.

the quality of labor we can get is absolutely painful now. like, people who barely know how to run a circ saw. it's wild. there has been a hard trend toward younger hires at the same time.

speaking also to the above, i chose to renovate my kitchen myself and saved somewhere from $10-15k

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Strep Vote posted:

That's my doctor. The corpos closed his office, he bounced around the area and came back to within a half mile of his old office but now we pay a hundred bucks or more a month to be allowed to be his patient.

what the actual gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

lmao what

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
paying to have a doctor on retainer, what a country!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cheesus posted:

And to explain to others why this is the case...

We've spent the past 50 years telling kids they should learn to program (like we did their parents after their jobs were shipped overseas) and looking down upon the trades like it was eating dogshit.

Now the pool of trades is small so it's expensive to get that kind of help.

Your general contractors/carpenters have gone where the money is which is specialization. They make way more money as a plumber, or electrician, or roofer than they did when they did it all, and increasingly started getting nickeled and dimed by customers.

So for the most part, a homeowner needs to either be flush with cash to pony up for repairs and maintenance or be handy enough to stuff DIY and/or know their limits.

A video I watched last year estimated of how many positions the trades have been losing as Boomers leave the workforce. The host guesstimated that if you are looking to have non-critical work done on your home like a renovation, you might as well can try doing it yourself. You can fail miserably at least three times in material expenses than what you will pay for a contractor. And that assumes you're ok with the contractor pushing you off for literal years as they pursue more lucrative jobs.

I'm not sure if it's a "50 years ago vs. now" thing tbh.

Back in 2018, I had attic insulation (blown-in cellulose) done for $1,800.

Last year I decided to look into replacing the HVAC ducts in the attic because they're the original ducts from the 60s and leak a bunch. The HVAC company said the insulation needs to be removed first, and they referred me to a company they work with.

Said company quoted me a whopping $4,500 to remove the insulation. They refused to quote me how much it would cost to blow it back in, saying they would need to see the new duct layout after it's installed etc. etc. I asked for a ballpark and they wouldn't even provide that. At that point I was so disgusted I gave up on the whole project.

A similar thing happened with my patio project: a circa 2019 estimate for $10,000 has become $20,000+. It's not a "boomers retiring" thing either because I got both quotes from the same guy, who is the owner of his company and has two or three others working for him. I asked him about the difference and he was pretty honest and basically said everyone and their mother has home improvements projects now and the only way he can keep up is by jacking up his rates.

Slow News Day has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Mar 14, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Last year I decided to look into replacing the HVAC vents in the attic. The HVAC company said the insulation needs to be removed first, and they referred me to a company they work with.

Said company quoted me a whopping $4,500 to remove the insulation. They refused to quote me how much it would cost to blow it back in, saying they would need to see the new duct layout after it's installed etc. etc. I asked for a ballpark and they wouldn't even provide that. At that point I was so disgusted I gave up on the whole project.

A similar thing happened with my patio project: a circa 2019 estimate for $10,000 has become $20,000+. It's not a "boomers retiring" thing either because I got both quotes from the same guy, who is the owner of his company and has two or three others working for him. I asked him about the difference and he was pretty honest and basically said everyone and their mother has home improvements projects now and the only way he can keep up is by jacking up his rates.

Covid hosed up EVERYTHING in the home renovation world lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

to comment on the above, my workplace relies on contract-based skilled construction workers. it's been BRUTAL getting people in the door post 2020 at the wages we pay, which are near the top-end of our industry, but not top-end for the SKILLSET. great carpenters have slid over to historical renovation/high end retail and left everything else behind.

the quality of labor we can get is absolutely painful now. like, people who barely know how to run a circ saw. it's wild. there has been a hard trend toward younger hires at the same time.

speaking also to the above, i chose to renovate my kitchen myself and saved somewhere from $10-15k

Turns out if you want people to get into the trades someone is going to have to accept something less than elite, experienced laborers.

That's the thing with the job market as a whole IMO. Everyone only wants the best and most experienced workers for their super important project but in order for those to exist, you have to accept that they start out as juniors who can't use a saw very well and it takes time and money to get them to that level.

Anyway, off to apply to another job I'll never be qualified for because I don't have 3 years of experience in Azure and never loving will because I don't have the 3 years of experience to get a job to get experience.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

err posted:

Yeah, it's this.

The nature of inflation is such that the goal posts are moved forward in a generally proportional way

What I'm saying is owning a home was never a good deal and your parents and most of this thread lied to you. There is no way to get ahead in this broken system if you are a serf, you are never one purchase away from freedom

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Mar 14, 2024

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

euphronius posted:

why is Facebook so valuable

data collection + giant worldwide captive audience for ads

meta also owns whatsapp, people forget that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

data collection + giant worldwide captive audience for ads

meta also owns whatsapp, people forget that

:lol: You should see how lovely their back-end advertising interface is. Everyone would be astounded at how poorly the largest advertiser in the world is built for its ads users. They spent $50 billion on Metaverse and are still content with their ads platform being like 4 ads platforms stitched together with 8 different sets of permissions.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

I just bought at 6.9% in January and am grateful for being lucky enough to have anything.

nice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More like Farcebook

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Turns out if you want people to get into the trades someone is going to have to accept something less than elite, experienced laborers.

That's the thing with the job market as a whole IMO. Everyone only wants the best and most experienced workers for their super important project but in order for those to exist, you have to accept that they start out as juniors who can't use a saw very well and it takes time and money to get them to that level.

Anyway, off to apply to another job I'll never be qualified for because I don't have 3 years of experience in Azure and never loving will because I don't have the 3 years of experience to get a job to get experience.

We want to have elite workers fast so well poach them, were not going to train them someone might poach them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The nature of inflation is such that the goal posts are moved forward in a generally proportional way

What I'm saying is owning a home was never a good deal and your parents and most of this thread lied to you. There is no way to get ahead in this broken system if you are a serf, you are never one purchase away from freedom

It was that before the 2000s, housing was relatively cheap because interest rates were generally high and it made sense to eek out some equity rather than rent but you weren't going to get rich off of it. It wasn't the best deal in the world and priced accordingly.

Then you had the wild turns of the 2000s and 2010s to COVID market where you had both houses being flipped or people losing their shirt; a house really became a speculative instrument. Everything became about timing the market.

It is hard to talk about the country as a whole but Portland, which once was a "hot" market has had its housing prices pretty much drop nearly to where they were in 2019, this is without taking inflation into account. With inflation, arguably they were about 20% underwater in real terms. The whole sell for low interest rates it was "nearly impossible" not to lose because your house would be going up 10% a year forever and inflation would be minimal. It was free money, but in retrospect, sure, you were not paying rent (like the old days still) but you also you got tied into a property that is just sort of a dead weight. Also, there are all the issues with owning a house and simply a ton of overhead.

Also, now you are only paying the interest up front anyway, so if you try to escape, you don't get anything.

So you either rent and get screwed and are simply paying to live...or you own a house and do pretty much the same thing with a little more skin in the game.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Mar 14, 2024

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

skooma512 posted:

just lie

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

kind of comforting to know that even if Sanders had won in 2020 we'd still have a senile president

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

he was pretty honest and basically said everyone and their mother has home improvements projects now and the only way he can keep up is by jacking up his rates.

i don’t blame him and I’ve never owned a construction business but i still fail to see why he couldn’t charge the same amount he was prepandemic. the difference would be having cheaper prices and losing some customers due to a long waitlist, versus having “market” prices and losing some customers due to said prices?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4531587-biden-vital-for-us-steel-to-remain-domestically-owned-operated/
Biden is giving stern words that he doesn't like Japan buying US Steel. Idk maybe you could do something about it????

Biden is right that it's bad to sell core productive industries to foreign interests, in fact it's past time to nationalize steel production

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

medical professionals bounce in and out of insurance networks all the time now, it owns

half the time I go to the dentist it's in-network, half the time it's not, like rolling dice

policymakers basically expect you to phone all of your providers every January 1 to check

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

kreeningsons posted:

i don’t blame him and I’ve never owned a construction business but i still fail to see why he couldn’t charge the same amount he was prepandemic. the difference would be having cheaper prices and losing some customers due to a long waitlist, versus having “market” prices and losing some customers due to said prices?

It doesn't matter if they're losing customers if they still have enough to keep a full schedule, hell you might even be able to take a day off and still make more.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Slow News Day posted:

Maybe everyone and their mother are calling him because everyone else retired.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: You should see how lovely their back-end advertising interface is. Everyone would be astounded at how poorly the largest advertiser in the world is built for its ads users. They spent $50 billion on Metaverse and are still content with their ads platform being like 4 ads platforms stitched together with 8 different sets of permissions.

yeah it’s extremely cobbled together, opaque and access to anything is an absolute pain in the rear end

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lmfao at the absolute state of things

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Slow News Day posted:

Last year I decided to look into replacing the HVAC ducts in the attic because they're the original ducts from the 60s and leak a bunch. The HVAC company said the insulation needs to be removed first, and they referred me to a company they work with.

I have some hope this is swinging back just from the face value of higher ed and small decline of enrollment rates over the last few years, but there's so much to rebuild in the workforce.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Biplane posted:

evergreen since the predawn of time

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Biplane posted:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Biplane posted:

I don't even know which thread I'm in right now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Mnuchin said he is putting together a group of investors to buy tik tok lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

that requires tiktok wanting to sell

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

kreeningsons posted:

It's basically how surge pricing works. You eliminate the customers who won't pay the higher price and rake in the profit.

Vox Nihili posted:

medical professionals bounce in and out of insurance networks all the time now, it owns

half the time I go to the dentist it's in-network, half the time it's not, like rolling dice

policymakers basically expect you to phone all of your providers every January 1 to check

:rolldice: Medical care and insurance was always arbitrary but now it changes week to week, let alone year to year. Pharmacies will just stop taking an insurance one day out of the blue because they got into a catfight, and you're expected to just know. Providers probably don't even know who's network they're in day to day.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

also probably requires china approving a sale

something they reject entirely

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

that requires tiktok wanting to sell

They'll sell when we tell them to sell, at what price, and to which oligarch with regime ties. This is a free market pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

turd market