Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

they patched up the game a lot but the performance still has issues. and it still has some fundamental issues inherent to its designs. its improved but its still not like, the 10/10 immersive sim forever game or w/e people wanted it to be.

people were talking about getting VR and living in the world or some poo poo, literally nothing was going to make the game live up to that hype. even without the bugs that poo poo was the most forseeable disaster ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

is the dlc after the main story?

Nah, it happens after you finish up Pacifica. It does have its own ending though.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

depiction is endorsement, and it always has been

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

people were talking about getting VR and living in the world or some poo poo, literally nothing was going to make the game live up to that hype. even without the bugs that poo poo was the most forseeable disaster ever

Yeah it was funny seeing people planning out their like 8 different playthroughs during the pre-release hype lol, convinced each run would be radically different with 0 overlap.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cBiyWlYous

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah it was funny seeing people planning out their like 8 different playthroughs during the pre-release hype lol, convinced each run would be radically different with 0 overlap.

people were like this with mass effect 3 as well i think. issues with that game aside peoples expectations were completely unrealistic.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It is wack that the game is just named after the genre lol. imagine if there was a fantasy game called Fantasy. or an adventure game named Adventure

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It is wack that the game is just named after the genre lol. imagine if there was a fantasy game called Fantasy. or an adventure game named Adventure

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

depiction equals endorsement

explaining equals support

Stone classic

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Feels Villeneuve posted:

every like 5 years this happens when a developer says "this is the most immersive world where literally anything is possible and we couldn't have done it without the superior immersive power of the emotion engineintel core duocell processorgood ram in the ps4ps5" and for whatever reason gamers slop that poo poo up and assume it's literally true. even when they don't say that! todd howard came out and said "hey yall we're making skyrim in space" and gamers were so disappointed that it didn't just let them gently caress the computer and instead was literally skyrim in space

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hey that's not fair. I'm pretty sure it was worse than that

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i wouldn't know i didn't play it because i: didn't want to that "nasapunk" aesthetic looks dope though hopefully someone makes a good game that looks like that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Endorph posted:

oh yeah, in general i agree. ig its just the sexuality angle is pretty old hat for Capitalist Critique while the trans angle is somewhat new. you can say maybe thats the point or you can say its just a reflection of changing trends in rl that they're kind of trying to brainlessly comment on. like i said i get the point i just think there is also an element of like, gta style 'woah check THIS out' to it. even in that interpretation i definitely don't think the ads are like, what they think tho, more just kind of the thing where they're trying to present it as a criticism but also benefitting from it in the sense of it making their setting seem edgier or w/e, if you get what i mean.

yeah i dont think thats it at all. theres a quest line w an npc where the ads are commented on quite directly, where a guy running for mayor is aghast at the advert his team have made for him where hes doing stupid poo poo like shooting legislature, and the response from his team is "These commercials are wedged between "Watson Whore" and "Guns-N-Horses." Your commercials need to communicate with voters in a language they understand."

the critique is in the contrast between the dystopia and how the corporations present peoples bodies and worth vs the actual human beings you then interact with. sex workers are used in ads and are heavily commodified, and its harshly contrasted by the first group of ppl you meet and interact with being a gang formed by sex workers in order to protect themselves who are written as nuanced normal people. wrt the trans ad i dont think its any different, bcos the main trans rep is very specifically written to again run counter to the dystopian setting. she was repulsed by corporate extremes and quit working as an engineer because of it, and has refused to ever install a single piece of cyberware. her side story is a revenge plot where the explicit good ending is her overcoming her grief without giving in to the violence of the setting.

theres obivously difficulty in a game with so many ppl working on it to determine absolute intent of all parts of it but it never really feels like its trying to be gta edgy. its very directly the concept of cyberpunk being an alt future dystopia spawned from the excesses of the 80s and the set dressing is an important part of that version of dystopia. the game never treats it as fun or a place/future you would want to be a part of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

starfield is definitely way worse than skyrim.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

yeah i dont think thats it at all. theres a quest line w an npc where the ads are commented on quite directly, where a guy running for mayor is aghast at the advert his team have made for him where hes doing stupid poo poo like shooting legislature, and the response from his team is "These commercials are wedged between "Watson Whore" and "Guns-N-Horses." Your commercials need to communicate with voters in a language they understand."

the critique is in the contrast between the dystopia and how the corporations present peoples bodies and worth vs the actual human beings you then interact with. sex workers are used in ads and are heavily commodified, and its harshly contrasted by the first group of ppl you meet and interact with being a gang formed by sex workers in order to protect themselves who are written as nuanced normal people. wrt the trans ad i dont think its any different, bcos the main trans rep is very specifically written to again run counter to the dystopian setting. she was repulsed by corporate extremes and quit working as an engineer because of it, and has refused to ever install a single piece of cyberware. her side story is a revenge plot where the explicit good ending is her overcoming her grief without giving in to the violence of the setting.

theres obivously difficulty in a game with so many ppl working on it to determine absolute intent of all parts of it but it never really feels like its trying to be gta edgy. its very directly the concept of cyberpunk being an alt future dystopia spawned from the excesses of the 80s and the set dressing is an important part of that version of dystopia. the game never treats it as fun or a place/future you would want to be a part of.

a lot of my feelings are probably largely just derived from me finding the game overall kind of dull, mind. like i said i get im being uncharitable. i can see what you mean with some of those characters but i didnt really like them so they just sorta came across as bland stand-ins for those groups or ideas more than like, nuanced counterpoints. again thats mostly on me.

i think a lot of convos like this would be a lot easier if people just admitted they didnt like something, in general, speaking of.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

its named after the tabletop game which it is based on

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Like, you know, Final Fantasy, or Adventure Island.

:thejoke: etc.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

its named after the tabletop game which it is based on

This

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was hopeful for Stanfield because the outpost building looked cool and I thought it would be like an upgraded version of settlement building in fallout 4

It's, uh, not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Endorph posted:

a lot of my feelings are probably largely just derived from me finding the game overall kind of dull, mind. like i said i get im being uncharitable. i can see what you mean with some of those characters but i didnt really like them so they just sorta came across as bland stand-ins for those groups or ideas more than like, nuanced counterpoints. again thats mostly on me.

i think a lot of convos like this would be a lot easier if people just admitted they didnt like something, in general, speaking of.

ya thats fair, and it doesnt matter what something is trying to do if it doesnt hit for someone. but i just think theres enough in the game to at least see the intent of the devs themselves, as opposed to the marketing team who were clearly actually just doing clickbait stuff lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Braindances were such a cool concept, and then there was like 1 mission involving them outside of the tutorial

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
i enjoyed starfield more than skyrim because i like spaceships mroe than dragons. simple as.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've absolutely got the gamer brain that likes bethesda exploration. throw me out of a cave and give me some general directions to go and i'll have a great time.

somehow starfield hosed THAT up. that's like nintendo making mario jump bad or some poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Braindances were such a cool concept, and then there was like 1 mission involving them outside of the tutorial

i think one of the devs said that the braindances took a ridiculous amount of development time for the amount of time you spend in them. therefore chalking this up once again to lazy devs

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

i've absolutely got the gamer brain that likes bethesda exploration. throw me out of a cave and give me some general directions to go and i'll have a great time.

somehow starfield hosed THAT up. that's like nintendo making mario jump bad or some poo poo.

same, Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time and I bounced off starfield after 2 weeks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of accidental transphobia in gamedev lol at dead by daylight trying to be inclusive by hiring a trans VA and then giving the character she voiced this skin

would you believe this has not gone well

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

sad lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm glad I never got hyped for starfield. I still bought it on release and had a bunch of fun with it, put like 120 hours in, did a loop or two, and now I just don't think about it. Maybe if they announce some expansions I'll jump back in, but I'm happy waiting for ES6 and playing the 7 billion other good games coming out in the meantime.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

more falafel please posted:

every like 5 years this happens when a developer says "this is the most immersive world where literally anything is possible and we couldn't have done it without the superior immersive power of the emotion engineintel core duocell processorgood ram in the ps4ps5" and for whatever reason gamers slop that poo poo up and assume it's literally true. even when they don't say that! todd howard came out and said "hey yall we're making skyrim in space" and gamers were so disappointed that it didn't just let them gently caress the computer and instead was literally skyrim in space

This reminds me that Will Wright is still trying to hype up whatever this is and I feel like his communication team doesn't know what it is besides the weird napkin sketches that have been on the website for six years, lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm glad I never got hyped for starfield. I still bought it on release

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as a child i was tricked by spore and i will never forgive will wright

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Endorph posted:

speaking of accidental transphobia in gamedev lol at dead by daylight trying to be inclusive by hiring a trans VA and then giving the character she voiced this skin

would you believe this has not gone well

lmfao I mean I get it, the character's whole thing is Modern Creepy Internet Story "It looks different to everyone" psychological monster but without that context, woof that's a bad idea

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the creature creator demo was more fun than the actual game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

lmfao I mean I get it, the character's whole thing is Modern Creepy Internet Story "It looks different to everyone" psychological monster but without that context, woof that's a bad idea
they also made the costume mix-and-match inexplicably so you can use male head with the cheerleader body and uhhhhhh lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

they have them in the serial killer mission and they're creepy as hell

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

the creature creator demo was more fun than the actual game

my one good spore memory was making horrifying monstrosities in the creature creator with my gf at the time and her dad going "this is an affront to science"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Danaru posted:

I was hopeful for Stanfield

?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah lol, in my defense I didn't preorder or anything, it was just the game everyone was talking about at the time and I don't regret my purchase. I think there's enough there for a good game if they had more interest in fleshing things out, there's a lot of fun ideas they only went like 30% on. Mile wide, inch deep. But if they wanted to, they would have. The game was in development for like what 9 years? much deeper games get made in a third of that time

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

they have them in the serial killer mission and they're creepy as hell

Yeah that's the only mission I remember using them outside the introduction of them early on. Cool rear end mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you're posting on something awful dot com, with Jeffrey (SFX: honk-shoo, honk-shoo) and the Koos (SFX: screeching prison door swings shut)