Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I'm not a big MKULTRA guy and I know the notices are a real thing but I'm not even going to get into what it is to have a picture of someone's face with KILL NOTIFICATION published outside the agencies where it is intended to circulate internally

Not saying that's an activation for someone, rather in addition to its original meaning it could be understood to be a subconscious preparatory notification for us to digest what has or will happen later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

"i'm not a big MKULTRA guy" says the guy who then posts the most MKULTRA rear end thing possible

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's time we had a televised contest for who rules the commonwealth.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

scary ghost dog posted:

you would likely have no desire for psychedelics absent those factors

the human use of psychedelics goes back to the beginning of written history and therefore probably predates it substantially

the use of relatively low-dose psychedelics as hedonistic toys may or may not be an artifact of the way modern capitalism interacts with these concepts, and, while I generally don't view that as especially different than any other kind of modern western substance based hedonism, I think it's entirely possible there were people eating just a little bit of cubensis and giggling thousands of years before I was born.

I think the west postwar apparatus has basically failed to understand, contain, or use psychedelics for anything very dramatic or interesting. Certainly not for lack of trying / dropping weird deleriants as bomb payloads on random Vietnamese villages / etc.

I'm personally more interested in where Jose Delgado's work went when the declassified records end; that fucker gave an interview a few years before his death for some EU TV station, in which he claimed that as far back as the 1970s, the CIA was getting similar results to the work he did with implanted brain electrodes, from a distance of several meters away, just by using giant rear end EM emitters.

A lot of the stuff that has been declassified about MK Ultra and all of this poo poo was declassified directly as a result of that Acid Dreams book, and the declassification date for all that poo poo only ran through the mid/late 60s. Still plenty of horrifying poo poo in there, vivisecting mentally disabled people on acid and asking them to describe the visual experience as they are lobotomized, etc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the human use of psychedelics goes back to the beginning of written history and therefore probably predates it substantially

the use of relatively low-dose psychedelics as hedonistic toys may or may not be an artifact of the way modern capitalism interacts with these concepts, and, while I generally don't view that as especially different than any other kind of modern western substance based hedonism, I think it's entirely possible there were people eating just a little bit of cubensis and giggling thousands of years before I was born.

I think the west postwar apparatus has basically failed to understand, contain, or use psychedelics for anything very dramatic or interesting. Certainly not for lack of trying / dropping weird deleriants as bomb payloads on random Vietnamese villages / etc.

I'm personally more interested in where Jose Delgado's work went when the declassified records end; that fucker gave an interview a few years before his death for some EU TV station, in which he claimed that as far back as the 1970s, the CIA was getting similar results to the work he did with implanted brain electrodes, from a distance of several meters away, just by using giant rear end EM emitters.

A lot of the stuff that has been declassified about MK Ultra and all of this poo poo was declassified directly as a result of that Acid Dreams book, and the declassification date for all that poo poo only ran through the mid/late 60s. Still plenty of horrifying poo poo in there, vivisecting mentally disabled people on acid and asking them to describe the visual experience as they are lobotomized, etc.

under what circumstance do you imagine yourself desiring, acquiring and consuming psychedelics in a world where your material needs are not found wanting and your spiritual needs are not exaggerated as a consequence? do you picture yourself a tribal seer? do you imagine that a communist society that emerges prior to, instead of as a consequence of, a capitalist society would find recreational use of psychedelic drugs to be a worthwhile endeavor? or are you just completely sure that you would be a sadbrained depressed goon no matter the economic system under which society has developed and you will always need psychedelics to avoid spiralling into a depressive state

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drugs are fun op

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

drugs are fun op

tell me the ways that drugs are fun without mentioning a sentiment that is only valid in a capitalist system. “you get high” cant be one of them, unless you also explain why getting high is fun under the same restrictions

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

scary ghost dog posted:

tell me the ways that drugs are fun without mentioning a sentiment that is only valid in a capitalist system. “you get high” cant be one of them, unless you also explain why getting high is fun under the same restrictions

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

it lets you perceive things your mind would not otherwise perceive

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it lets you perceive things your mind would not otherwise perceive

so does a grievous head wound, or prion disease, or a schizophrenic delusion. are those fun?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

scary ghost dog posted:

I see someone chose to instead practice the blade.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

so does a grievous head wound, or prion disease, or a schizophrenic delusion. are those fun?

maybe, i haven't experienced those. I have experienced drugs, and those are fun.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Schizophrenic Delusion is probably pretty fun for some people

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yall ever consider that mao did shrooms regularly? no?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

fr0id posted:

I see someone chose to instead practice the blade.

i study the blade and i also do lots of psychedelic drugs, definitely too many to remain fully tethered to reality. but im under no delusion that i would have the same desires and habits if i lived a fulfilling life under communism. it betrays a deep void of imagination and, honestly, understanding of dialectical principles to think otherwise

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

scary ghost dog posted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

should have named it 5-MaO-DMT

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

The fear is part of the fun, there is a thrill to riding the line between life and death

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

drugs are fun op

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i would hate to be the kind of person who thinks “if everyone just ate mushrooms and smoked weed and dropped acid the whole world would be communist already” and i reject the notion that if the whole world were communist already then anyone could eat shrooms and smoke weed and drop acid all the time. its individualistic and idealistic and frankly pathetic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

scary ghost dog posted:

i study the blade and i also do lots of psychedelic drugs, definitely too many to remain fully tethered to reality. but im under no delusion that i would have the same desires and habits if i lived a fulfilling life under communism. it betrays a deep void of imagination and, honestly, understanding of dialectical principles to think otherwise

you betray your ignorance that Lenin was mushroom.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

i reject the notion that if the whole world were communist already then everyone would be free to eat shrooms and smoke weed and drop acid all the time. its individualistic and idealistic and frankly pathetic

why does it have to be all or nothing? why would it have to be "all the time"?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

why does it have to be all or nothing? why would it have to be "all the time"?

i edited the post to be a little less binary but i’ll answer anyway. it is because i have a tendency to exaggerate for effect, one consequence of which is that people who argue with me in bad faith zero in on those details and reveal that theyre more interested in proving me wrong than proving themselves right

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
mushrooms as a ritualized rite of passage between care-free child who partakes in responsibilities to an adult that carries them is the way

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

wait really

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

i edited the post to be a little less binary but i’ll answer anyway. it is because i have a tendency to exaggerate for effect, one consequence of which is that people who argue with me in bad faith zero in on those details and reveal that theyre more interested in proving me wrong than proving themselves right

:rolleyes: yeah man this is a great way to get people to not "argue with you in bad faith"

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

shrooms do give people an upset tummy and he did write a lot of fart jokes(or so ive heard)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

:rolleyes: yeah man this is a great way to get people to not "argue with you in bad faith"

this is a great response to prove you certainly arent

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the only thing you proved to me was that you're a rude dick so good job

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

scary ghost dog posted:

god drat stop posting

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Schizophrenic Delusion is probably pretty fun for some people

I've experienced a host of psychotic symptoms (not schizophrenically induced however), so I'm qualified to speak on this.

Pattern-seeking, pattern recognition, and placing significance/meaning on unassociated or coincidentally-associated phenomena: fun!

Rhyming speech or double/triple/plus meaningful speech: fun!

Mania: very fun! Super fun

I've also experienced some definitely unfun psychotic symptoms but all in all it's basically a wash. It's half or better a fun time. Note: effects on interpersonal relationships, hygiene, sleep, career, achievement, earnings, mood, coherence, life satisfaction... okay actually it's not a "fun time" but in some moments and extended sequences, in isolation, it's fun.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the only thing you proved to me was that you're a rude dick so good job

how very…..liberal of you

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

scary ghost dog posted:

how very…..liberal of you

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

god drat stop posting

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no but I looked up Lenin shrooms and found this incredibly stupid poo poo that has apparently been all over the Reddit-aligned internet for years that ive never heard of.
How Vladimir Lenin Became a Mushroom

www.atlasobscura.com - Invalid Date posted:

The world has its fair share of out-there conspiracy theories, but in the waning days of the Soviet Union, its citizens were introduced to one of the more ridiculous theories ever proposed: that, before he died, Vladimir I. Lenin had literally turned into a mushroom.

It was the middle of 1991, mere months before the collapse of the USSR, when this strange concept managed to gain a shockingly strong foothold in the popular consciousness of the Soviet people. The whole affair was a work of beautiful absurdity, and because it came at a time of incredible cultural change in Russia, it likely had a far larger impact than its orchestrators ever imagined.

“Until that year, it was 1991, it was very difficult to imagine that kind of hoax,” says Alexei Yurchak, an associate professor of socio-cultural and linguistic anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley. An accomplished Russian media scholar, Yurchak is the author of the essential essay on the event, A Parasite From Outer Space: How Sergei Kurekhin proved that Lenin was a mushroom. “The fact that he did it with Lenin made the hoax work. If he had used somebody else, it wouldn’t be feasible, but because it was Lenin, it was so hard to believe that this was a hoax.”

Played completely straight, the bizarre program received a wide variety of reactions from a baffled public. In his essay, Yurchak, who interviewed a number of viewers in the early 1990s, writes, “While very few people claimed to have instantly recognized the program as a hoax, most remembered being perplexed, shaken, and uncertain about what to make of it.”

Some were initially inclined to believe the hoax outright, thanks to a mix of inherent trust of televised media and disbelief that anyone would fiddle with the legacy of a figure such as Lenin. Yurchak says that it wasn’t that the viewing audience was any more or less gullible than they are today, it’s just that people, everywhere in the world, have a tendency to believe what the TV says. “Often people don’t know there is evidence, but they assume there is evidence because otherwise they wouldn’t be talking about it. If there was something in the media, there must be something to it.” Others saw the show for the daring, provocative prank that it was, and had a good laugh. Many were just confused. “For weeks afterwards, millions of people were in limbo, like ‘what happened?’”

As shared in Yurchak’s essay, according to an account given by Sholokhov in a 2008 interview with the Russian women’s magazine Krestyanka, the day after the Kuryokhin episode aired, a group of Bolshevik veterans approached an official at the Leningrad Regional Party Committee and demanded to know whether it was true that Lenin had been a mushroom. Incredulous, she replied that the story had to be false, “Because a mammal cannot be a plant.”

those credulous Russians just believe anything they see on TV! they thought he was a freakin mushroom Lois!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

this is a great response to prove you certainly arent

i had the same reaction as someone not involved in your "debate"

also i get the vibe that you think full communism will cure your sadbrains which, while i like the optimism, may not be the case. also not everyone that does drugs is looking for escape from capitalism specifically

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hooplah posted:

i had the same reaction as someone not involved in your "debate"

also i get the vibe that you think full communism will cure your sadbrains which, while i like the optimism, may not be the case. also not everyone that does drugs is looking for escape from capitalism specifically

alright, but i believe that whatever they are seeking to escape from via psychedelic drug use is adjacent to, or a byproduct of, capitalism. but thats merely conjecture. more importantly, i dont believe that a communistic economic system would allow recreational drug use. i think youre all arguing for your own fantasies. if theres a place for psychedelic drugs in a communist society, its exclusively for therapy and research, and certainly strictly controlled.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
on reflection, ill concede my initial point, that one would likely have no desire for or access to psychedelic drugs absent the socioeconomic factors that introduced them into american culture following MKULTRA. the reason being that i have just argued that they are a valid treatment for many psychological disorders which means if they were used for that purpose in a communist society then one could very easily find themselves desiring and acquiring. but i maintain that “drugs are fun” is a hedonistic, individualistic axiom

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

communism is when everyone gets drunk together

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
You think drugs are "cool" do you... well I'm here to tell you drugs are no laughing matter!