Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I wondered why Nog didn't grow up during the seven seasons of the show. Turns out Aron Eisenberg was 23 when DS9 first came out? I thought he was just a gifted child actor!

Yeah, Eisenberg was already in "too old to be playing a teenager" territory on The Secret World of Alex Mack. The Ferengi prosthetics and his naturally high voice did a lot of heavy lifting towards making you think Nog was just a baby for most of DS9's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had no idea he was on that

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

quite like its captain, voyager’s lows are low but its highs are delightfully manic

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s a post-series Enterprise novel where the Romulans decide to suicide crash a ship into Coridan to devastate its dilithium reserves

There’s a TOS novel where also the Romulans encounter a race that makes them (and Vulcans) go violently insane just by proximity. A few years later after first contact with the Federation there’s a starship race being hosted by the planet (the Enterprise is there of course) and a Romulan from the first of their ships that came by earlier shows up to enters the race too. The final leg of the race is a warp speed straightaway past the planet. Turns out his plan is destroy the planet by using the final leg as a distraction and actually warp directly into the planet, penetrate the surface, and then some kind of material around his ship’s warp core will break up the entire planet when the warp core also explodes.

I only really remember this book because it ends with the Enterprise doing a sick-nasty warp speed drift around the planet after blowing up the Romulan ship at the last second.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

I just watched What We Left Behind and the writers they got together to break season 8 made Bashir the new Section 31 head. It was the facepalmiest moment in a draft board full of them

I recently saw the episode In The Pale Moonlight for the first time, and with the cringy poo poo the writers imagined for season 8 in kind, I'm kind of glad the show ended when it did. DS9 did a good job showing the uglier and more difficult side of the Federation utopia, but it's apparently really tempting to take that to "we get our hands dirty so you sheeple at home can sleep at night! *puts on badass trenchcoat*"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I only really remember this book because it ends with the Enterprise doing a sick-nasty warp speed drift around the planet after blowing up the Romulan ship at the last second.

I remember that, the Enterprise has to crash-stop out of warp right through the exploding Romulan ship right at the finish line and all the spectators think they're showing off with dramatic fireworks and flying.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kibayasu posted:

I live my life a quarter lightyear at a time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nine-gear crow posted:

It's insane how it goes from "Cirroc Lofton and Aaron Eisenberg are roughly the same height" to "Cirroc Lofton looks like he's Aaron Eisenberg's dad" between seasons.

Finally ending at" Cirroc Lofton looks like he's two Aaron Eisenbergs in a trenchcoat." Just casually having them sitting down in all their interactions so you can get them both in one shot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I recently saw the episode In The Pale Moonlight for the first time, and with the cringy poo poo the writers imagined for season 8 in kind, I'm kind of glad the show ended when it did. DS9 did a good job showing the uglier and more difficult side of the Federation utopia, but it's apparently really tempting to take that to "we get our hands dirty so you sheeple at home can sleep at night! *puts on badass trenchcoat*"

This is pretty much the entire premise of that new Section 31 show/film/special episode/commercial/fan video project Paramount is trying to put out.

I still say that there is a place for Starfleet Intelligence show, but it should be about putting a stop to all these delusional "hard men making hard decisions" and keeping the Federation space safe both from inside and outside threats. Because there has to be something, it is shown again and again that Federation does have neighbors that would rather just nick your poo poo and enslave your colonies instead of peaceful coexistence. If it takes a war for Federation to actually start setting up defenses and military response groups, their colonies are just easy targets for raiders and assholes of the universe.

But then again, in PIC S1 Romulans sent a death squad to successfully eliminate someone standing in the middle of the Starfleet command HQ on Earth. The most fortified and defended location in the Federation. Its like sending some complete outsider to kill a person standing inside the Pentagon compound at the courtyard.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Finally ending at" Cirroc Lofton looks like he's two Aaron Eisenbergs in a trenchcoat." Just casually having them sitting down in all their interactions so you can get them both in one shot.

Cirroc is actually 30 feet away from Aron in this shot

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Cirroc is actually 30 feet away from Aron in this shot

I loled out loud!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Little known piece of Hollywood trivia is that DS9 was actually Peter Jackson’s test run for all the perspective techniques and oversized furniture he used to make the Hobbits look small in LotR.

naem
May 29, 2011

ok well

I just watched a vacuum cleaner robot and a bird person make tender, yet passionate, love?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

ok well

I just watched a vacuum cleaner robot and a bird person make tender, yet passionate, love?

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Steve Shives is on his new batch of retro reviews, this time looking at "Worst. Episodes. EVER."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhbRblXFP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeNjCstn89Q

And he's also produced another Starfleet Jobs video. Starfleet HR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7zB-ndflGA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big rear end On Fire posted:

S6 of Voyager has been pretty meh but my kid and I landed on the Delete the wife episode which got fun again. I love that they not only showed Janeway giving her crush more intellect and ambition and of course getting rid of his wife but adding 3cm of height and making other tweaks. And Chakotay telling her that the character is taller than he remembered. :lol: good stuff. I bet Mulgrew had a blast making that episode and the delete line.

A reminder that one comes right after the, legitimately excellent, episode about holodeck addiction and just leans right into all the things Barclay was doing being shown as being good and healthy pursuits :v:.

"Delete the Wife!" Is a fantastic bit though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pen Pals is a really good episode of TNG. You have two basically B plots going on. Data and his friend then Wesley's team. I just really like the episode. It's a good exploration of the prime directive but also kind of how they parent Wesley without his mom .

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

davidspackage posted:

At the time I was a little too young and naive to see it but literally every person I knew that thought Section 31 was fuckin' rad back in the day turned out to be super conservative poo poo heels later on. Probably at the time too, just didn't notice as easily as I would now.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Yeah, Section 31 :rolleyes: , what about Section 32?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bashir was highly gettable, being a mutant and all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

book stuff

My favorite warp trick was from the novel Federation. Long story short, the climax revolves around both Kirk's and Picard's Enterprises entering the event horizon of the same black hole, where the spacetime distortion is so strong that they can interact (indirectly, due to the extreme distortions). This is possible due to various technobabble like the warp drive, but still highly dangerous. So dangerous that when Klingons from Kirk's time enter the event horizon in pursuit, the feedback from a single photon torpedo is all it took to destroy their ship.

The really cool thing about it is the way the ship's destruction is described. I wish I had my copy hand so I could transcribe it directly, but it's something like "Within the violent maelstrom of the black hole, the Klingon ship barely held itself together by its warp engines and structural integrity fields at maximum output. As soon as they began to fluctuate, the unimaginable forces beyond the event horizon tore the ship and everyone within down to subatomic particles faster than even the Enterprise's sensors could register. There was no explosion, no burst of energy to mark its passing. The vessel simply ceased to exist."

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Ok ST nerds:

https://trekmovie.com/2024/03/09/the-star-trek-the-cruise-vii-a-voyage-like-none-other/

While I can’t see myself going it does sound like the guest stars get totally into it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ok ST nerds:

https://trekmovie.com/2024/03/09/the-star-trek-the-cruise-vii-a-voyage-like-none-other/

While I can’t see myself going it does sound like the guest stars get totally into it.

Any kind of theme cruise sounds like absolute hell on top of the already absolute hell a normal cruise already is. But I'm glad everyone had fun at least.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Ok ST nerds:

used to work with a guy who went to that. he was… strange

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love that even though warp speed is fast AF, the amount of unexplored space in shared Federation/Vulcan space is huge. It's like, everything.

Makes you think.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Loads of pics from those things make the rounds on Facebook.

There's one of someone dressed as Armus chasing around Denise Crosby. All the cast who go seem to love it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

I love that even though warp speed is fast AF, the amount of unexplored space in shared Federation/Vulcan space is huge. It's like, everything.

Makes you think.

It's estimated that there are between 100 and 400 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, after all.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Picard sure knew a lot about Kevin and Rishon somehow didn't he

I mean like yeah he realized it was all trickery but boy he sure filled in the gaps. Like what if he said "Rishon went to fight with the colonists" and Kevin was like "nah bro we were bombed, wtf are you talking about" that would have been awkward

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It's estimated that there are between 100 and 400 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, after all.

It's funny, it almost doesn't matter how fast you can go in your scifi setting since the habitability of the galaxy is still a huge open question (and almost certainly will be for generations to come). Anything you come up with is arbitrary anyway, there really is no "hard scifi" when it comes to extrasolar planetary colonization.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'd 100% take a Star Trek cruise. That sounds like a blast.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Getting advanced strains of norovirus with your favorite doctors of the future

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I'd watch a video on it, but the premise has an odour.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Username/post combo????

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hollismason posted:

Pen Pals is a really good episode of TNG. You have two basically B plots going on. Data and his friend then Wesley's team. I just really like the episode. It's a good exploration of the prime directive but also kind of how they parent Wesley without his mom .

I'm watching it now cos you mentioned it

It is good and an extremely chill episode, though I don't like the prime directive stuff, there is no dilemma there at all and it bugs me that they act like there is.

'Cosmic plan' lol piss off Riker

EDIT O'Brien is surly as gently caress in this one as well, haha

EDIT EDIT mindwiping the kid is also morally dubious as gently caress. Man, the TNG crew do not come off well in this at all (except for Data, who is god's perfect robot boy)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 15, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Look, it’s either mind wipe the kid or throw her into the replicator raw matter reservoir.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
That little girl’s prosthetics and makeup grossed me the gently caress out as a kid, I hated every time she was on screen. Just keep her a ham radio buddy, Data, you don’t need to bring her on the ship where squeamish 8 year olds in the audience might be disgusted by her.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine feeling safe when the Federation has come to save you from the terrible ____

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't really like the Prime Directive but I understand why it exists. Without it being a captain can easily devolve into endless trolly problems and spending more and more of your resources flying around the galaxy putting out fires. It exists so the federation doesn't have to deal with the stress of making godlike decisions every other week.

I think the Prime Directive was designed to be broken semi regularly in situations similar to that on Pen Pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it’s a wonder there aren’t more dudes out there cruising around looking for low tech planets on which to set themselves up as gods