Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Now we know why Roku was changing their TOS and forcing everyone into it.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/12/24098398/roku-hackers-breach-credit-card-info

I had to replace a card/delete my Roku account a few months ago after someone bought Paramount+ with it. I guess that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/12/24098398/roku-hackers-breach-credit-card-info

Christ is it legal to do that poo poo BEFORE disclosing a breach?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

bull3964 posted:

I get the convenience of it, but I'm glad I've never logged into any personal accounts of my tv. Slapped a Chrome Cast in an HDMI port and just cast anything I need to watch. Not that everything else in my orbit isn't selling my data, but tv companies have always felt like an entity particularly eager to do so. And apparently was correct about them being pretty sloppy about handling it too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I tried to use the search function on this thread, but it said no one had mentioned that they're making a Netflix sequel to Beverly Hills Cop? I saw Kevin Bacon and Paul Reiser in there!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

More of a movie than TV is probably why.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hmm, that's a good point :eng99:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We do talk about movies plenty in this forum though lol. I sometimes wonder what it's like in CD but never actually check. Is it mostly just the same people who hang around here or a new cabal of movie fiends with their own standards and expectations? Maybe they always say "phillum" instead of film or movie over there. It's exciting to think of the possibilities.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rappaport posted:

Hmm, that's a good point :eng99:

I always get a little bummed out when I see something cool and it turns out to be a movie instead of a tv show.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Khanstant posted:

I sometimes wonder what it's like in CD but never actually check.

Remember when they decrypt the ship's log in Event Horizon?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New effort thread just arose, so I'm linking it here for my fellow user control panel browsers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

We do talk about movies plenty in this forum though lol. I sometimes wonder what it's like in CD but never actually check. Is it mostly just the same people who hang around here or a new cabal of movie fiends with their own standards and expectations?

Tis different, with different dynamics depending on the thread. They're good people, even if they like a heathen medium.

A thing I noticed is that the discourse tends to be a bit differently framed -- I imagine since movies typically come in complete packages, while television is typically delivered piecemeal. I guess with the exception of miniseries that drop the entirety of their run at once. --And even then, the duration and natural breaks in programming tend to encourage bittier reads, as viewers articulate and rearticulate their interpretations of what the story is about, where it's going, what its overall qualities are, etc.

Whereas film discussion, at least as far as I've noticed, tends to orient itself around holistic statements, and tend to be framed in terms of the specific personalities responsible for the story.

I feel like the former discouse tends to be a little bit more collaborative, but that could just be my bias and lack of experience seeping through.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Remember when they decrypt the ship's log in Event Horizon?

I finally watched that recently for the first time, and added rich context to a line I've been repeating often in whatever context involving eyes or going places. I always thought maybe it was a kind of chill experience, top down in a car road trip on acid kind of vibe, an invitation to a weird and chill psychadelic time where you don't need to use your eyes to see interesting things.

Naw, it's the jurassic park guy having a weird and unchill time, very harsh vibes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I finally watched that recently for the first time, and added rich context to a line I've been repeating often in whatever context involving eyes or going places. I always thought maybe it was a kind of chill experience, top down in a car road trip on acid kind of vibe, an invitation to a weird and chill psychadelic time where you don't need to use your eyes to see interesting things.

Naw, it's the jurassic park guy having a weird and unchill time, very harsh vibes.

For more unchill adventures of Jurassic Park guy, check out the movie In the Mouth of Madness :iit:

For a chill movie with Jurassic Park guy, check out The Dish :unsmith:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Or his remake of Deadpool 2, Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've enjoyed every art medium I've tried so I think it's time they let me make a movie and give it a shot. I will start by remaking Event Horizon into the story of some workers who found out the previous crew needed to be replaced because they're all tripping and having epiphanies about society and the organization of power and their personal physical relation to the rest of matter in the universe.

How much could it cost to make a movie, ten dollars?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

How many cast members have Lego figurines made out of 'em? Jurassic Park guy does, at least.

Although Lego figurines would go over the 10 buck budget already!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I know she's been there since the end of season 2 of The 100 but having a budget Caprica Six is making me realize that sexy computer ladies have been a thing since my childhood in the form of Weird Science (1994)... And the earliest I could have learned to read subtitles is in 1995 as a 7-year-old, so AI lady definitely unlocked a core memory of that show having been even a thing. Anyways, I'll forgive a lot of stupidity for a sexy computer lady and her scheming because I'm a dumbass.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BonoMan posted:

Christ is it legal to do that poo poo BEFORE disclosing a breach?

It's the US and anti-consumer, of course it's legal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chubby Henparty posted:

Or his remake of Deadpool 2, Hunt for the Wilderpeople

God I love that movie, especially the chill-as-gently caress dad and his daughter who appears to be the coolest person in New Zealand.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

It's the US and anti-consumer, of course it's legal.

It gets worse! The extra fun part was for people with Roku branded TVs, which are apparently a thing. They could not use the tv at all unless they agreed to the new binding arbitration eula, or do a factory reset and never connect it again.

:911:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Halfway through 'Population 11' which is an odd little Australian thing, a sort of 'Only Murders in the Outback' or a low key Deadloch. Not as good as either of those but it's kept me occupied so far.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Finished Halt and Catch Fire, and the final season was just sublime. I must confess that I didn't quite get the hype through the first three seasons, but they pulled everything together in the end. Some of the most moving TV I've ever watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXlTtvNWE0

Also, the music cue in this scene is incredible. Why isn't this a meme?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Girls5eva is back.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Extraordinary rules!
I binged the whole season. Episode 7 is a complete highlight.

The implications of Jizzlord having cat kids are extremely disturbing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

SimonChris posted:

Finished Halt and Catch Fire, and the final season was just sublime. I must confess that I didn't quite get the hype through the first three seasons, but they pulled everything together in the end. Some of the most moving TV I've ever watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXlTtvNWE0

Also, the music cue in this scene is incredible. Why isn't this a meme?

Hell yeah, glad you liked it.

It's awesome that every couple of months we get someone posting about seeing it for the first time, and the reaction is almost always very positive.

It's so, so good.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
The Paramount+ app for the PS4 is unusable. I kept it because they have Champions League/Europa League but it just doesn't work. Insanely bad dogshit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I gave up trying to use it on Xbox and it only barely functions on my Samsung tv. Worst loving app around.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I stopped looking at Young Sheldon, not that I was keeping up with the show in any way before that, when some child psychologist (with unknown credentials or expertise) chimed in.

She said that everyone blames Sheldon's upbringing for his deficiencies as an adult but the way he's being brought up actually bodes well for most gifted children. He has a family that supports nurturing his gifts but doesn't bend to his every whim. He is growing up with siblings who are themselves high-achieving and above-average but not outside the norm. He gets to skip material that doesn't interest him but gets a chance to have something of a life before being thrown into the deep end i.e. taking less-than-full undergraduate course load at a local university.

She also said that it's Sheldon's frenemy/rival/love interest Paige that is likely on the road to a dark place in that show. Oscillating from the utter boredom of normal school to the pressure of an Ivy league education in her mid-teens, seeming to have more social skills but that just gets in the way of finding other nerds like her and ending up lonely, not having any support network to deal with life changes and family difficulties, she will most likely act out through petty crime and drug abuse using partying as a way to escape and through doing so losing the opportunities she needs to take advantage of to later have the kind of career someone like her needs to be satisfied in life. And that once these opportunities are missed it's really hard to get back on track. The fact that she's not even mentioned in the main show hints that she didn't end up in an OK place.

I don't know if she was full of s*** but I can't watch the show with that dark interpretation in mind.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 14, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/M3Writer/status/1768132109984469346?s=20

Who knew, Reacher, who knew

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Finn posted:

The Paramount+ app for the PS4 is unusable. I kept it because they have Champions League/Europa League but it just doesn't work. Insanely bad dogshit.

We used to watch everything on the PS4 and I think a lot of apps just got worse and worse on it. I remember Disney+ and... maybe Amazon? One of the big ones also just getting insanely buggy on the PS4 around 2020. Glitchy, lagging, weird subtitles not working or different languages, volume going really soft. But again, it feels like 2020 was when all of these problems suddenly started coming out. It wasn't really evident until we got a Roku and realized everything worked so much better on it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Idk where else to put this but I have to share: https://entertainment.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7356&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-Open-BrowseAuctionInfo-071713

Planet Hollywood selling off a bunch of their movie props. Absolute top tier items going up for sale that I will never be able to afford and don't plan to bid on, but really fun to scroll through nonetheless.

If I was made of money I would get the ear from Blue Velvet that I have now learned contains David Lynch's own hair https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/mo...humbnail-071515

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bright Bart posted:

I stopped looking at Young Sheldon, not that I was keeping up with the show in any way before that, when some child psychologist (with unknown credentials or expertise) chimed in.

She said that everyone blames Sheldon's upbringing for his deficiencies as an adult but the way he's being brought up actually bodes well for most gifted children. He has a family that supports nurturing his gifts but doesn't bend to his every whim. He is growing up with siblings who are themselves high-achieving and above-average but not outside the norm. He gets to skip material that doesn't interest him but gets a chance to have something of a life before being thrown into the deep end i.e. taking less-than-full undergraduate course load at a local university.

She also said that it's Sheldon's frenemy/rival/love interest Penny that is likely on the road to a dark place in that show. Oscillating from the utter boredom of normal school to the pressure of an Ivy league education in her mid-teens, seeming to have more social skills but that just gets in the way of finding other nerds like her and ending up lonely, not having any support network to deal with life changes and family difficulties, she will most likely act out through petty crime and drug abuse using partying as a way to escape and through doing so losing the opportunities she needs to take advantage of to later have the kind of career someone like her needs to be satisfied in life. And that once these opportunities are missed it's really hard to get back on track. The fact that she's not even mentioned in the main show hints that she didn't end up in an OK place.

I don't know if she was full of s*** but I can't watch the show with that dark interpretation in mind.

Wait, Young Sheldon has a rival/love interest named Penny? That's a weird choice, considering Big Bang Theory's Penny, and is clearly on purpose, for reasons I can't figure out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Finn posted:

Their website is just as bad. I would often just go to a sharing site to stream episodes of stuff I was trying to watch because their player was just so insanely bad and never improved. It can't even properly keep track of how much of something you've watched, it will constantly redirect you to the start of a show you're on a new episode and season for, or force the first episode of Halo to play.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dude should do masked singer and have everyone guessing football players.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, Young Sheldon has a rival/love interest named Penny? That's a weird choice, considering Big Bang Theory's Penny, and is clearly on purpose, for reasons I can't figure out.

Sorry that slipped out she's called Paige on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bear was renewed for another season and apparently they're going to just film season 4 back to back with 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/snowpiercer-season-4-amc-premiere-date-tnt-1235942045/
Also AMC bought the rights to Snowpiercer and will air season 4.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

isaboo posted:

Hell yeah, glad you liked it.

It's awesome that every couple of months we get someone posting about seeing it for the first time, and the reaction is almost always very positive.

It's so, so good.

I finally like Lee Pace after watching Foundation, so I'm excited to be able to get into it because I love early computer history stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The Bear was renewed for another season and apparently they're going to just film season 4 back to back with 3.

Nice

Nice