Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

He left his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

So what’s Liveweaver’s story? Gimme the lore & motivations of this fella

He's the inclusivity character #50 to be announced to PR-wash Blizzard's poo poo.
In his case it was uhh...let's see...he was announced within 12 hours of the news about Blizzard not paying their eSports team breaking.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Do most OW2 players even know what Cowboy Bebop is? It's a 25 y/o show, most of the players were probably not even born yet when it came out.

maybe its corporate inertia?? some things have been in the pipe so long they might as well release it(oh and theres no tax benefit it to delete it )

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
believe it or not most people can watch things made before they were born

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

cowboy bebop is frequently on "best animes" lists online so I'm sure plenty of young people have seen it.

also overwatch players are probably 25-35 year olds on average at this point

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Seems like he invented self-replicating nanobots, and when people were like "hey man, those sound dangerous" he responded "nah theyre pink"

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Lube Enthusiast posted:

- From an upper class Thai family
- Was Symmetra's roommate at the Vishkar academy
- Developed his healing "bio-light" tech based on the "hard light" technology used in shields, barriers, bubbles, etc
- Vishkar claims to own his invention, with plans to profit off of it but Lifeweaver disagreed and fled the academy, taking his bio-light work with him, and is now pursued around the globe by Vishkar's goons

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also people call him Wifeleaver.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I really want to know what a native Thai speaker thinks of his voicelines in that language because his English delivery is weirdly stilted.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The combination of him not being a threat and it being a huge hassle landing shots on him when he’s raised, means that the enemy team will barely ever attack you when you play as him. Works for me, i can focus on heals & life saving grabs the whole match

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 11, 2024

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Wow B.O.B. is really overpowered. I’m surprised more people don’t play as him!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

The combination of him not being a threat and it being a huge hassle landing shots on him when he’s raised, means that the enemy team will barely ever attack you when you play as him. Works for me, i can focus on heals life saving grabs the whole match

It's so stupid that they made piercing shots still get blocked by petal platform

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Well the Faye skin is ok, the rest are pretty bad, shouldn’t have fired all your artists Blizz, you clearly need them.

I don’t know what they were thinking with the Cassidy skin.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/1bc6vrq/cowboy_bebop_ingame_model_of_all_collaboration/

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/kujikawaii/status/1767235550006722752 just one more thing, space cowboy...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dis far

*scratches fingernail line into gold MMR*

and no further

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

someone in the comments says Cassidy looks like Gortash from BG3 and the resemblance is uncanny.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Maybe Cowboy Bebop is so boomer that we forgot what the characters were supposed to look like

I guess I should practice my Ash

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Maybe Cowboy Bebop is so boomer that we forgot what the characters were supposed to look like

I guess I should practice my Ash

part of the problem is that spike's iconic look is him in the blue suit and not him in the blue suit with peter falk's personal raincoat, and the other part of the problem is that spike's thin triangle silhouette doesn't translate well to cassidy having the stature of a dockworker

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

this patch feels a lot better for tanks with the dps passive tuned down

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

this patch feels a lot better for tanks with the dps passive tuned down

In a few games so far my "well I don't have anyone I can set up to assassinate right now, might as well just spray the crowd to tag everyone with the DPS passive" play with Sombra is a bit less effective for sure

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I haven't played any Ana yet but my gut feeling is the nade boost won't be enough to make her viable

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

toadee posted:

In a few games so far my "well I don't have anyone I can set up to assassinate right now, might as well just spray the crowd to tag everyone with the DPS passive" play with Sombra is a bit less effective for sure

Dang, that was my go to move!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

I haven't played any Ana yet but my gut feeling is the nade boost won't be enough to make her viable

30 HP either way won't really move the needle. People have been talking as if she's guaranteed to get splash AOE on the whole enemy team plus herself which is just not realistic. It's an ok little buff and will slightly, slightly improve her survivability against dive, but even if she manages to land the nade on both herself and e.g. Genji she's only 30 HP up and he's only 30 HP down and that's small beans compared to the damage he can inflict as a burst and what she can do with her primary fire. She still has 0 mobility or mitigation for herself.

This change gives her a little bit more oomph in totally optimal situations and those are still very unlikely to happen in this meta.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Anyone else getting a message that says, "Some of your hero customization is unavailable in this instance" in your feed when starting games? People on Reddit are saying that this happened when Mauga was added to the game files but before he was enabled/visible, so this might mean that they've quietly added Venture to the live code to prepare for their release.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

RhymesWithTendon posted:

Anyone else getting a message that says, "Some of your hero customization is unavailable in this instance" in your feed when starting games? People on Reddit are saying that this happened when Mauga was added to the game files but before he was enabled/visible, so this might mean that they've quietly added Venture to the live code to prepare for their release.

Happening to me, yeah. I opened my battle pass for the first time in months and months so I assumed it was related to that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

maybe they're finally adding weapon inspects as shown in the original OW2 gameplay trailer

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Lmao do the bebop skins at least alter voicelines or anything?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Huh, I somehow missed the full Overwatch 2 x Porsche announcement a few days ago.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
does Overwatch now just exist as a vehicle(no pun intended) for ads and references

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

does Overwatch now just exist as a vehicle(no pun intended) for ads and references

of course not, it's a rich world full of interesting, fleshed out characters with compelling lore

Now to take a big sip of water and check on how the next batch of Story Missions is coming along

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

LazyMaybe posted:

no, no, you don’t get it, them changing nearly everything that made Overwatch Overwatch is actually good!!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

So is there a specific person at Blizzard doing all this damage to focus hate on or is it more a systemic prolapse into the toilet due to Activision?

Edit: my voodoo doll wants to know

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The most charitable read is that the Overwatch team has been systematically mismanaged since shortly after the release of OW1, with developer resources constantly being pulled in conflicting directions. And every time it looks like the ship has been righted and a new course set, management does something asinine or malicious that tanks goodwill again.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It feels like a safe hail Mary like if this f2p game has any monetizability to it then surely someone is going to go for this otherwise what does it matter I'll go make shoes

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The most charitable read is that the Overwatch team has been systematically mismanaged since shortly after the release of OW1, with developer resources constantly being pulled in conflicting directions. And every time it looks like the ship has been righted and a new course set, management does something asinine or malicious that tanks goodwill again.

I recall that the majority of the OW2 dev team was reallocated to the Diablo 4 team (which was also incredibly troubled) around the time Jeff K left and the Cali Labor Board lawsuit hit the public. Then D4's project lead Jesse McCree got fired for Cosby Suite antics, and I doubt OW2 ever really had a chance after that.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
OWL and blizzards inability to let it go, doomed the game.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

There's a weird issue with Mauga in the new tower defense gauntlet where activating his ult teleports you under the floor for a split second.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Lmao do the bebop skins at least alter voicelines or anything?

When you have a Bebop skin equipped you'll hear a little snippet of funky music every time you get an elim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6NRZlQYAiw

Vermain posted:

part of the problem is that spike's iconic look is him in the blue suit and not him in the blue suit with peter falk's personal raincoat, and the other part of the problem is that spike's thin triangle silhouette doesn't translate well to cassidy having the stature of a dockworker

Yeah after seeing that awkward workaround they have to do for the hat emote, if Cassidy had just the blue suit and the white hat on all the time, he'd look pretty cool.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dick Jones posted:

When you have a Bebop skin equipped you'll hear a little snippet of funky music every time you get an elim.

Wow! And they only cost $30??

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I dunno. I see the bigwigs at Activation sabotaging the original vision of what OW2 was supposed to be for profits or stock prices or whatever as one part of why the game sucks. The other part is that the current dev team just doesn't have any clue what direction they want to take the game in. I don't know what percentage of people on the team have been around for the majority or entity of the franchise's existence, but it seems like, at least from a game design perspective, not that many. Ultimately, they are the ones that make stupid design decisions, and have lacked the problem solving skills to use the resources and deadlines they were given into something better.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a problem with humility in general on both the OW2 and D4 teams in the past year especially; the devs on either are very hesitant to accept any kind of negative feedback and pushback from players. Nearly every content creator and pro could say "the mob density is too low", or "the itemization sucks", or "6v6 is WAY more fun and engaging than 5v5", and the devs seem to fight tooth and nail that their design philosophy is right, and the players don't know what they are talking about. Maybe D4 has gotten better since launch, but for like the first 2-3 months after launch, it was levels of mismanaging the feedback and expectations of the community by the devs probably even worse than OW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I dunno. I see the bigwigs at Activation sabotaging the original vision of what OW2 was supposed to be for profits or stock prices or whatever as one part of why the game sucks. The other part is that the current dev team just doesn't have any clue what direction they want to take the game in. I don't know what percentage of people on the team have been around for the majority or entity of the franchise's existence, but it seems like, at least from a game design perspective, not that many. Ultimately, they are the ones that make stupid design decisions, and have lacked the problem solving skills to use the resources and deadlines they were given into something better.

That's why I didn't mention Activision - the problems of "having no clue what direction to take the game in" is also a failure of management. As much as I liked Jeff K, I think his obsession with making a sprawling progression system was just as damaging to the game as Activision's blunders.