Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

danbanana posted:

In my complaints in previous issues of this mini, I forgot to complain about how loving dumb the Dr. Gregor twist is.

Good choice of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

danbanana posted:

What if Doug was The Bad Guy?

It would not take a whole lot of heavy lifting for this to happen, he's a pivot point on a lot of the major events of the era.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rick posted:

It would not take a whole lot of heavy lifting for this to happen, he's a pivot point on a lot of the major events of the era.

This is purely speculation and piecing together but... I actually think that was his plan. He said on the Cerebrocast interview that his original plan didn't include the Moira twist and he instead had another Big Bad in mind but (and I'm paraphrasing) "it would upset a lot of people who loved the character." There's some references in some of his timeline infographics that reference a betrayal of someone who is clearly Warlock. Plus the very sinister panel of Doug/Warlock transmuting the flower in HOXPOX. It's made clear he's hiding Warlock early in the Krakoa Era. Hickman's entire setup is mutants vs humans-post-humans-robots, and that's probably more related to Self-Friend Doug than just about any other mutant*. Also: simply how Warlock fits into all the Dominion stuff! It's right there!

*This is why I think he moved Forge into plant-tech stuff.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

danbanana posted:

And here, on paper, they're saying they didn't even need to have the twist! They could have Scott just gently caress poo poo up and walk out!

To be fair, this was quite literally in the text of issue 1.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Cyclops establishing that he could have escaped at any time was great and extremely in character, but yeah, the "we're not so different you and I" line is baffling. You could snip out just that sentence and nothing would change.

I will cheer like a dumb idiot any time Emma Frost does something incredibly hosed up to somebody's brain, give me an ongoing series of just that and I will single-handedly buy enough copies to get it to issue 100.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

danbanana posted:

This is purely speculation and piecing together but... I actually think that was his plan. He said on the Cerebrocast interview that his original plan didn't include the Moira twist and he instead had another Big Bad in mind but (and I'm paraphrasing) "it would upset a lot of people who loved the character." There's some references in some of his timeline infographics that reference a betrayal of someone who is clearly Warlock. Plus the very sinister panel of Doug/Warlock transmuting the flower in HOXPOX. It's made clear he's hiding Warlock early in the Krakoa Era. Hickman's entire setup is mutants vs humans-post-humans-robots, and that's probably more related to Self-Friend Doug than just about any other mutant*. Also: simply how Warlock fits into all the Dominion stuff! It's right there!

*This is why I think he moved Forge into plant-tech stuff.

That's good stuff, I haven't thought about a lot of that in a while. It did seem like Phalanx at least was set up for more. It would have indeed probably made some people pretty mad but also I could see how it could draw Krakoa to a close with a pretty clean explanation as to why they don't just do it again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, the line is flimsy, but in context Scott's trying to get into McGregor's good graces and get her on his side. It makes sense that he'd be batting his eyelashes and going "wow it's soooo crazy how we're so aliiiike ;)" instead of calling her a dumb bigot or whatever.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Emma telling Firestar after burning a body is really weird. I can understand why she was crying because Emma killed her horse.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 14, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, the line is flimsy, but in context Scott's trying to get into McGregor's good graces and get her on his side. It makes sense that he'd be batting his eyelashes and going "wow it's soooo crazy how we're so aliiiike ;)" instead of calling her a dumb bigot or whatever.

she already betrayed omega sentinel to rescue him at the end of the previous issue

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I can see the intent behind Scott's line, but like much of the conclusion to this arc, it's rushed and under-explored.

Both Dr. Gregor and Cyclops consider themselves the defenders of their imperiled people in a time of crisis. Both have paid personal costs and made dangerous compromises. Both were part of imperfect systems they still upheld for the cause. Both had to deal with allies on their side they consider monstrous and choked it down because they had to.

And now both have seen the true enemy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

site posted:

she already betrayed omega sentinel to rescue him at the end of the previous issue
They're like three steps out of his cell, he still wants her help for everything that's coming.

The book rushes a ton of stuff but this ain't Scott's M-word speech y'all

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought scott was kept prisoner via an implanted bomb, paralysis from a spine injury, and having his eyelids sewn shut. but i guess all of that got resolved off panel... somehow?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wouldn't have been a good look if he went to trial with all that so figure they fixed him up before he went there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

They're like three steps out of his cell, he still wants her help for everything that's coming.

The book rushes a ton of stuff but this ain't Scott's M-word speech y'all

No I really feel like emping the leader of orchis is the point of no return

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Wouldn't have been a good look if he went to trial with all that so figure they fixed him up before he went there.

he had the blindfold visor on the whole time. no one could see his eyes, or the bomb in his guts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Speak posted:

To be fair, this was quite literally in the text of issue 1.

Does Cyclops believe that if not for the trial, Orchis' lawyers would be fighting on the front lines? I'm not sure there's much crossover in these roles

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Does Cyclops believe that if not for the trial, Orchis' lawyers would be fighting on the front lines? I'm not sure there's much crossover in these roles

the only lawyers he knows are She-Hulk and Cable

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

the only lawyers he knows are She-Hulk and Cable

Weird Matt erasure.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
*Roberto handing Cyke a card that just says "MURD BLURDOCK" on it*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Weird Matt erasure.

Matt Murdock is just a regular New York City lawyer, can't think of any reason he and Cyclops would run in the same circles. unless he somehow knew Daredevil and could get his contact info from him

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Alaois posted:

Matt Murdock is just a regular New York City lawyer*, can't think of any reason he and Cyclops would run in the same circles. unless he somehow knew Daredevil and could get his contact info from him

*priest

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Matt Murdock is just a regular New York City lawyer, can't think of any reason he and Cyclops would run in the same circles. unless he somehow knew Daredevil and could get his contact info from him

Just recently Matt went to get Wolverine's help to fight the Punisher's Hand. He's known to the X-Men.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Alaois posted:

Y'know, it is weird that we've never see Cyclops and Matt Murdock together. They're both mopey, they both wear sunglasses, they both have a penchant for the color red...

Oh my god.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Have a long-standing love interest that keeps dying and coming back...

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Same haircut

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Everyone else gets a turn to be Daredevil these days, I say give Scott a go. It would probably feel like a vacation in comparison to the usual X-drama.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

Y'know, it is weird that we've never see Cyclops and Matt Murdock together. They're both mopey, they both wear sunglasses, they both have a penchant for the color red...

Oh my god.

And redheads! Although I think with Matt that's just Natasha.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't think you understand, Cyclops and Daredevil aren't different people, they are the same person

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gologle posted:

I don't think you understand, Cyclops and Daredevil aren't different people, they are the same person

That's ridiculous, Cyclops is clearly Matt Murdock's secret identity, Daredevil is Mike Murdock.

There's some news out of SXSW about the post-Krakoa books, apparently, hitting August and September. Three titles announced:

Uncanny X-Men (Gail Simone and David Marquez)
X-Men (Jed MacKay and Ryan Stegman)
Exceptional X-Men (Eve Ewing and Carmen Carnero)

There's some art if you scroll through here. X-Men in particular looks... interesting. Not bad, but Scott and Quentin look like they're junior high schoolers. And (spoilers I guess for things that can be surmised from art previews) Magneto looks like he's a in a very headmaster-y role. And he has a beard! And facial hair!

EDIT: Marvel just put out one of their animated art thingys that has each of the art styles in it, and which also teases the mysterious... Inmate X! If it's not Wolverine/a Wolverine clone I will eat my shoe.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 14, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FYI "scroll through this Twitter feed" doesn't work if you're not a Twitter user

E: I'll give them all a shot but Simone rarely does anything for me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/x-men-summer-2024-titles-creative-teams

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
feels regressive after the Krakoa era, down to the use of '90s logos, but will reserve judgment for now

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Could use a little more explanation than “character goes back to hometown. Finds new Mutants.”

Looks like some good teams, so I’ll give them a chance, but the end of Krakoa seems like a good time to take a break from X-Men. Like when Morrison left Batman or Hickman from Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rochallor posted:

EDIT: Marvel just put out one of their animated art thingys that has each of the art styles in it, and which also teases the mysterious... Inmate X! If it's not Wolverine/a Wolverine clone I will eat my shoe.

I'd guess Charles if it's not a new character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The image at Marvel also lists more titles. X-Factor using an older logo probably means that it won't be tied around investigations. They're breaking back out the NYX title so we'll see what happens there. And Storm and Phoenix are getting solo series.

Also happy to see McKay writing some of my favorite characters, but especially Scott.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It'll feel weird to start bitching about Jed when he doesn't do X-Men exactly the way I think it should be done in my head, but I'll get over it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah I'm out, GG best era of X-Men since Morrison, I'll miss you. Back to the trash bin you go I guess.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gologle posted:

Yeah I'm out, GG best era of X-Men since Morrison, I'll miss you. Back to the trash bin you go I guess.

I'll follow the Jed one but I didn't love Simone's recent mini and I've never been impressed by Eve Ewing (though that may be because I always expect it to be Al until I see the full credits).

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

are the exceptional x-men new characters aside from emma and kitty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parallax posted:

are the exceptional x-men new characters aside from emma and kitty

Yes