Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

silicone thrills posted:

This is an incredibly good and sweet response to the NPR article

https://theheatherhogan.substack.com/p/my-long-covid-isnt-a-burden-on-my

Thanks for linking this. Making me tear up (in a good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
"It's a gift to have someone you want to keep safe."

that's a lockdown

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

tuyop posted:

it’s really sickening realizing that love in the way that I understand it seems to be kind of rare.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

This is an incredibly good and sweet response to the NPR article

https://theheatherhogan.substack.com/p/my-long-covid-isnt-a-burden-on-my

This was fantastic, thank you

Zantie posted:

That was a beautiful read. Everything they said about teamwork, it's that meaning of partnership that I understand and value. You do things together because you actually like each other. It's not that you do things together because the other person is an accessory you carry around to make you feel less embarrassed about doing something alone.

tuyop posted:

it’s really sickening realizing that love in the way that I understand it seems to be kind of rare.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/cough-bay-area-respiratory-illness-cold-18938882.php

Those dastardly lockdowns strike again!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
*uses 2 words instead of 40* Immunity debt, Amanda.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

reposting this from a Canadian in the P/I thread. good times.

Grummbo
Sep 10, 2004

Your son is a doctor? Oh.. Ours is Pope.
Some QLDers were texting and decided there's no point in having a name for something that, well, does exist. It's simpler to just un-invent words.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-15/long-covid-symptoms-queensland-chief-health-officer-john-gerrard/103587836

quote:

The term "long COVID" should be scrapped, according to Queensland's Chief Health Officer, because it creates unnecessary fear — and is "probably harmful".

John Gerrard said the description wrongly implied long-term post-COVID viral symptoms were "somehow unique and exceptional" to other viral infections, but new research suggested they were indistinguishable.

The infectious disease physician said a Queensland study of more than 5,000 people found similar rates of functional limitations in the daily lives of people a year after a COVID-19 infection, compared to seasonal flu and other respiratory illnesses.

However, he stressed he was not questioning the validity of long COVID.

"Post-viral syndromes do occur. We're absolutely saying that it does exist," Dr Gerrard said.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

$6 for the sunday paper jfc

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

U.S. DEATHS NEAR 1,200,000, AN ACCEPTABLE LOSS

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

lmao that headline: "An incalculable loss!" What? No. You just said 100,000. Clearly somebody counted or did the math.

Edit: Also lol, lmao, we're still counting (sort of) but we aren't really doing much to stop it four years on.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Grummbo posted:

Some QLDers were texting and decided there's no point in having a name for something that, well, does exist. It's simpler to just un-invent words.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-15/long-covid-symptoms-queensland-chief-health-officer-john-gerrard/103587836

yeah, i remember when my dad almost died from a pulmonary embolism and had to spend his remaining years with semi-functional lungs every other time he caught the flu, too

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

tuyop posted:

This is something that horrifies me more than COVID and dismantling of our public health apparatus. Western glorification of selfishness and disposability puts no value in selfless, unconditional love (much like that vile article exemplifies). That same ingrained selfishness/carelessness extends to make more general socially conscious actions like masking or sequestering while sick not only alien but also instrinsically deviant.

I was lucky to have parents to show and teach me what a functional, loving relationship is. When I got to know my partner, I was honestly shocked to slowly realize they were the only person I had ever met that internalized or could even could put words to these basic tenants of human decency. As I paid more conscious attention to others' actions and language, it became more clear how examples of love and humanity itself are so rare in the world. It's really sad.

Bixington has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Mar 14, 2024

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

A Bag of Milk posted:

"It's a gift to have someone you want to keep safe."

that's a lockdown

don't kinkshame :mad:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Bixington posted:

This is something that horrifies me more than COVID and dismantling of our public health apparatus. Western glorification of selfishness and disposability puts no value in selfless, unconditional love (much like that vile article exemplifies). That same ingrained selfishness/carelessness extends to make more general socially conscious actions like masking or sequestering while sick not only alien but also instrinsically deviant.

I was lucky to have parents to show and teach me what a functional, loving relationship is. When I got to know my partner, I was honestly shocked to slowly realize they were the only person I had ever met that internalized or could even could put words to these basic tenants of human decency. As I paid more conscious attention to others' actions and language, it became more clear how examples of love and humanity itself are so rare in the world. It's really sad.

Maybe it's leftover from the olden days of arranged marriages or whatever. It's the literal idea/attitude of what can each person contribute to or provide for in the relationship. That a couple is still primarily a business partnership more so than genuine companionship. Maybe more recently it became a slightly more nuanced but still confusing "marrying for love" as business partners that find each other hot enough to bang on the reg.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I also wouldn't discount there being a little bit of peach-eating husband where the first article is exaggerating to make a point. The feelings are genuine but to have a cohesive article propping up the "my partner worrying about negative outcomes is harshing the vibes" there's probably a few bits that aren't as cohesive. I still think she's a terrible wife, but there's plenty she's leaving out.

Also with long covid and post viral stuff I think I like PASC better than LC for a term, but lumping it in with everything as just a "post viral bullshit" is just going to help the assholes who just want to call it malingering.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
all the findings in the literature of long term colonization by SARS2? don't exist. of blood-brain-barrier interactions? don't exist. of T cell depletion and aging? don't exist. it's easy to prove a negative when you're corrupt enough!

Salt Fish posted:

I looked at the source for the graph and the paper uses data from 1990 to 2019, so that prediction doesn't use covid data. The original paper gives this graph:

so those researchers.... knew about the pandemic ahead of time...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that's part of the minimizer strategy, it just blurs a very concrete and definitive causative agent into a blurry background smear that can then be called Gross But Normal

had another customer resurface after a couple months of conspicuous absence... "Man I had covid and it wasn't bad but a week after I was feeling better, I woke up and couldn't climb the stairs"

listening to him laboriously breathe as he shuffled around... just ughhhh

also no mask, of course. no mask! what ehth gently caress arl ewe even DOING ARHHGHH

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
You'd think that there would be more understanding of unconditional love and support for your friends, family and the people you meet everywhere given the worldwide popularity of One Piece.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Luffy wouldn't understand all of the details but he'd wear a mask to protect himself and others.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Yeah that seems hosed. I can't imagine the pressure in a Korean office now. I was just in a startup and got some stiff resistance in mid 2021 before we had access to the vaccines at that point. Led to me quitting and then someone popping pos the next week lmao.

Hmm just visited my barber here and he was actually masked this time. He had stopped masking once the WHO declared the pandemic over, so he wasn't doing it just for me. No cough or anything he seemed fine, but his thinking must have changed between now and my last visit.

Must be something going around.

Time to shoot up my Flo Travel before and after.

Ok yeah the barber today was unmasked again so I am guessing he was just being extra cautious in the middle of winter or was actively or recovering from something (covid) lol

Masks and flo travel shower their blessings upon me.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Two years at the blue collar workplace: only one person ever asked about my n95 in an unprompted fashion

Second week at white collar workplace: two people bringing it up on consecutive days

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/14/health/measles-vaccine-virus-infection-quarantine-wellness/index.html

CNN keeping Leana Wen in rotation as a disease expert. Was there any minimizer who actually suffered professional consequences for being full of poo poo? Monica Gandhi seems to have bounced right back from being called out by Mehdi Hasan.

Though I don’t see Wen saying anything too horrible here, recommending shots for adults unsure of their vaccination status.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

consequences schmonsequences

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Steely Dad posted:

Was there any minimizer who actually suffered professional consequences for being full of poo poo?

I guess harvard finally got rid of kulldorf. Unclear exactly why though. Very likely just because he became completely insufferable, not his great barrington and nutjob "thinktank" bullshit.

https://www.city-journal.org/article/harvard-tramples-the-truth

He's probably going to be more "successful" in the circles he runs in now, wearing that 'fired from harvard' like he won something. So I don't know if "consequences for his actions" is exactly what happened.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

space chandeliers posted:

[Pestilence] consequences schmonsequences

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steely Dad posted:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/14/health/measles-vaccine-virus-infection-quarantine-wellness/index.html
Though I don’t see Wen saying anything too horrible here, recommending shots for adults unsure of their vaccination status.
Dont worry, her Washington Post editorial about the same topic was much less heavily edited to bare facts and she’s still just as lovely.

quote:

Crucially, targeted mitigation measures of boosting vaccinations and quarantining exposed people work to contain measles, as they have in recent outbreaks in New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania. In addition, it’s possible to stop measles from propagating by achieving herd immunity, which is what the United States has been successful in doing.

This is not the case with covid. The nature of the coronavirus is such that no level of population immunity will stop the disease from circulating. In addition, the coronavirus vaccines, while protective against severe disease, have limited effect on reducing infection. Large-scale population measures such as required masking, vaccines and isolation periods have not contained the virus, and indeed have spawned such substantial backlash that other public health interventions — including the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination — are now harder to implement.

See lockdowns and quarantines don’t work for Covid! Please ignore China, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, those don’t count because we ruined it for them.
Also, it’s all lockdowns fault that no one trusts our advice anymore, not because people like me spread outright bullshit about ‘the evidence’ showing kids don’t catch Covid, don’t spread it, and staying six feet apart is enough to protect anyone, and masks don’t work, or do but only for doctors, or wait double mask, no cloth is fine, cloth does nothing, they only work if everyone wears them… also the vaccines are almost as effective as measles vaccines and herd immunity will totally save us and it’s mild anyway and doesn’t mutate quickly.

Lockdowns don’t work though don’t you ever make me have to homeschool preschoolers ever again! I chose medicine over being a SAHM for a reason! Now excuse me while I extol the virtues of the wisdom of crowds and let my six and three year old disappear into the crowds at this indoor playground. They have a lot of stress fracture and concussion debt to make up after all.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Why Am I So Tired posted:

space chandeliers posted:
[Pestilence] consequences schmonsequences

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's starting in earnest now
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/15/long-covid-symptoms-flu-cold

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

speaking of p/i, it's interesting/depressing/idontknow to see the US funded genocide hold some public discourse on how poo poo biden is meanwhile the 700k+ deaths that ghoul has allowed happen has been swept under the rug and is a non-issue because vibes and big bad orange man and CoViD iS oVeR mannn

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-pandemics-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-f6e976f34a6971c889ca8a4c5e1c0068

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’m confused at the strategy of telling me that actually, other respiratory diseases ALSO can cause deleterious lingering effects on my health with the assumption that I will stop my silly fearful “hypervigilance” instead of coming to the conclusion that it’s an even better idea and I should keep at it because I’ve managed to dodge illness now for four years straight though a combination of precautions and luck.

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Mar 15, 2024

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
this is irritating me

quote:

Gerrard said long Covid may have appeared to be a distinct and severe illness because of the high number of people infected with Covid-19 within a short period of time, rather than the severity of long Covid symptoms.

“We believe it is time to stop using terms like ‘long Covid’. They wrongly imply there is something unique and exceptional about longer-term symptoms associated with this virus. This terminology can cause unnecessary fear, and in some cases, hypervigilance to longer symptoms that can impede recovery.”

In a press conference on Friday, Gerrard said: “I want to make it clear that the symptoms that some patients described after having Covid-19 are real, and we believe they are real. What we are saying is that the incidence of these symptoms is no greater in Covid-19 than it is with other respiratory viruses, and that to use this term ‘long Covid’ is misleading and I believe harmful.”
even assuming Long COVID is no worse than Long Influenza, COVID is still far more prevalent than influenza, so in practice the outcomes are different, and people should be more concerned about Long COVID because that's what they're more likely to get

plus we know, from the Al-Aly comparison study and others, that they're distinct diseases with different processes and outcomes.

also note the false equivalence, shifting from influenza to general "other respiratory viruses" (despite them only studying influenza), so COVID is effectively placed in the same post-acute sequelae category as a common cold

ed: thinking about it, even if you say "it's only got the same long-term effects as influenza", the association in peoples' minds isn't going to be "oh, that's bad", it's going to be "well, I've never heard of the long-term effects of influenza so that must mean it's ok"

and

quote:

terminology [like Long COVID] can cause unnecessary fear, and in some cases, hypervigilance to longer symptoms that can impede recovery.
oh hello, that's our old friend Disability Beliefs sneaking in, fancy seeing you here

CGI Stardust has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Mar 15, 2024

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
afaict the study from that Guardian article is a follow-on study to this one, so it's probably using the same cohort and methodology

Brown et al. (2023) - Ongoing symptoms and functional impairment 12 weeks after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 or influenza in Australia: an observational cohort study

it's a cohort study done by survey over mobile phone, rating impairment at 3-month followup on a scale of 0 to 3 (PCFS), taken May-June 2022 in Australia (BA.2, bit of BA.5), in a population with 90%+ vaccination coverage for COVID and 40% coverage for influenza, not distinguishing hospitalised. they don't seem to have checked to see if any of the study group had COVID before influenza, or if anyone got COVID between PCR and followup - wonder if that's the same in their 1-year version

results

quote:

We found that adults who tested PCR positive for the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant were no more likely to have ongoing symptoms at 12 weeks after their test (21.4%) than adults who tested PCR positive for influenza (23.0%, aOR 1.18; 95% CI 0.92 to 1.50). Similarly, we found no evidence to suggest that adults diagnosed with COVID-19 were more likely to have moderate-to-severe functional impairment at 12 weeks after their test (4.1%) than adults who tested PCR positive for influenza (4.4%, OR 0.81; 95% CI 0.55 to 1.20). Being female and socioeconomically disadvantaged were predictors of ongoing symptoms while being a First Nations person and an older person were predictors of moderate-to-severe functional limitations.

i feel like there's constant tension in it, both trying to minimise Long COVID and saying that LC is actually bad:

quote:

Our findings suggest that, in a highly vaccinated population, the odds of having long COVID arising from the Omicron variant are no greater than the odds of having a postviral illness following seasonal influenza. The finding does not discredit long COVID as a health issue given the significant volume of COVID-19 infections when compared with seasonal influenza, noting that there was a 38-fold difference in reported case numbers (1 606 171 COVID-19 vs 42 338 influenza) between 1 January and 9 September 2022 in Queensland. The substantial difference in the incidence of infection with a pandemic virus such as SARS-CoV-2 and an endemic virus such as seasonal influenza may make it appear that postviral syndromes are unusually common with the novel pathogen, as cases in the community may be high without individual risk being greater.

quote:

Our study supports recent literature suggesting that, in a highly vaccinated population, the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant does not result in a significant burden of long COVID. In this context, long COVID manifests at the population level as a postviral syndrome of no greater severity than seasonal influenza but differing in terms of the volume of people affected and the potential impact on health systems.

there's a reference to a study apparently finding rates of LC in double-vaccinated patients infected with (early) Omicron to be ~0.1% in mild cases, which seems extraordinarily low given all the other studies we know about

quote:

Emerging Australian research shows a low prevalence of long COVID in vaccinated adults following Omicron infection, although with a difference between adults who were hospitalised (1.9%) and not hospitalised (0.09%). These rates are lower than those reported in international studies and may be related to the Australian population’s high vaccination coverage on exposure to the Omicron variant.
if this were accurate then their cohort wouldn't contain more than a handful of people with Long COVID

assuming this article is a predictor of what their new one is like, it's fun that absolutely none of the qualifications come through in the Guardian article, which is pure IT'S FINE ACTUALLY

CGI Stardust has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Mar 15, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
No Australian update this week

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
an hour later and i'm still mad at that loving Guardian article

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Grummbo posted:

It's getting harder for me to not see this as Covid themselves typing all those words up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

afaict the study from that Guardian article is a follow-on study to this one, so it's probably using the same cohort and methodology

Brown et al. (2023) - Ongoing symptoms and functional impairment 12 weeks after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 or influenza in Australia: an observational cohort study

it's a cohort study done by survey over mobile phone, rating impairment at 3-month followup on a scale of 0 to 3 (PCFS), taken May-June 2022 in Australia (BA.2, bit of BA.5), in a population with 90%+ vaccination coverage for COVID and 40% coverage for influenza, not distinguishing hospitalised. they don't seem to have checked to see if any of the study group had COVID before influenza, or if anyone got COVID between PCR and followup - wonder if that's the same in their 1-year version

results

i feel like there's constant tension in it, both trying to minimise Long COVID and saying that LC is actually bad:

there's a reference to a study apparently finding rates of LC in double-vaccinated patients infected with (early) Omicron to be ~0.1% in mild cases, which seems extraordinarily low given all the other studies we know about

if this were accurate then their cohort wouldn't contain more than a handful of people with Long COVID

assuming this article is a predictor of what their new one is like, it's fun that absolutely none of the qualifications come through in the Guardian article, which is pure IT'S FINE ACTUALLY

yeah this is infuriating.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Given how much this thread relies on peer-reviewed papers for driving discussion I thought this would also be pertinent here: someone noticed that a whole lot of scientific papers published in Elsevier academic journals were at least partially written by ChatGPT and the editorial and peer review stages obviously didn't pick it up

It's highly likely that this is already much more widespread than the few examples dug up here, these are just the ones where the submitters were too lazy to remove the obvious signs

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Given how much this thread relies on peer-reviewed papers for driving discussion I thought this would also be pertinent here: someone noticed that a whole lot of scientific papers published in Elsevier academic journals were at least partially written by ChatGPT and the editorial and peer review stages obviously didn't pick it up

It's highly likely that this is already much more widespread than the few examples dug up here, these are just the ones where the submitters were too lazy to remove the obvious signs

Lmao we tower of babel'd ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Steely Dad posted:

CNN keeping Leana Wen in rotation as a disease expert. Was there any minimizer who actually suffered professional consequences for being full of poo poo? Monica Gandhi seems to have bounced right back from being called out by Mehdi Hasan.

wen sorta cooled it when she started getting owned by long covid but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before it’s back to business as usual