Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah exactly, we still get tip prompts on Australian card machines but the waiter just presses No Tip for you unless you sound American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

POS systems like that have meant that tipping has started to seep into Europe it seems.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tips on POS systems are most certainly optional so you can still blame the store owners for that poo poo

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm down with tipping as a way to fleece tourists. When we were in Europe last we left healthy tips because the food is already so cheap for our buying power.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Tips on POS systems are most certainly optional so you can still blame the store owners for that poo poo

If they're enabled by default no restaurant owner is going to figure out how many menus deep they need to go to turn that poo poo off.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Megabound posted:

If they're enabled by default no restaurant owner is going to figure out how many menus deep they need to go to turn that poo poo off.

So we agree, store owners’ fault

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Oh, wait, I was just talking about tipping a server at an Applebee's or whatever. The rules for tipping on vacation are completely different. I definitely add at least another 10-15% for "I'm sorry you have a job where you apparently have to deal with Americans on vacation"

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Megabound posted:

Yeah exactly, we still get tip prompts on Australian card machines but the waiter just presses No Tip for you unless you sound American.

Haha, this rules.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

more falafel please posted:

POS systems like that have meant that tipping has started to seep into Europe it seems.

Na just that it's an international market which I suspect is dominated by US firms.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bitcoin gives the tip to the people who deserve it: the miners.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sorry to continue tip-chat but if you want to see prime America bills, come visit San Francisco.

The menu says $18 for your hamburger (yes, $18, it's SF). Make sure to look at the 8.5x11" paper hung on the wall that says "in light of inflation, a service fee will be added to all items" (the last time I saw this, the menu was on a chalkboard... but I guess they can't raise the prices there!). Then when the bill comes, there's an additional surcharge for "SF Mandate", which has to do with a city requirement that restaurants provide health insurance to their employees.

Then the suggested tips are for 20, 22, and 25 percent.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The menu says $18 for your hamburger (yes, $18, it's SF). Make sure to look at the 8.5x11" paper hung on the wall that says "in light of inflation, a service fee will be added to all items" (the last time I saw this, the menu was on a chalkboard... but I guess they can't raise the prices there!). Then when the bill comes, there's an additional surcharge for "SF Mandate", which has to do with a city requirement that restaurants provide health insurance to their employees.

Then the suggested tips are for 20, 22, and 25 percent.

Thanks to the increased price of beef, Five Guys is bringing the San Fran experience from coast to coast.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
uᴉoɔʇᴉq

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

feedmegin posted:

'Penny' isn't even what you lot chose, of course. That would be from the apparently asterisk worthy British:p
Ultimately it comes from German... just like your king :devil:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Your father's a German, you're half German, and you married a German?!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm as British as Queen Victoria!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Heard on Marketplace this morning that a British judge decided that Craig Wright was not Satoshi Nakamoto.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Dogedesigner is Satoshi Nakamoto

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's good because Craig Wright would not stop shutting up about claiming to be Satoshi. Also this is at least partially why bitcoin hit its all time high the other day then promptly dropped 7%.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SettingSun posted:

That's good because Craig Wright would not stop shutting up about claiming to be Satoshi.

Your post makes it sound like you think this situation is going to change.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

Ultimately it comes from German... just like your king :devil:

Half Greek actually :agesilaus: ngl it would be cooler if we had drachmas and obols.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cruft posted:

Heard on Marketplace this morning that a British judge decided that Craig Wright was not Satoshi Nakamoto.

The funniest part of that was the opposing councils takedown of the files Craig provided that supposedly proved his Satoshi Nakamoto-itude, including the "original LaTeX file of the Bitcoin whitepaper" (the Bitcoin whitepaper was written in OpenOffice), which included functions and supplementary files that don't and wouldn't work with contemporary versions of LaTeX but very much do work with modern versions around the time he would've provided the file, references to C++ libraries that weren't even concieved of at the time the Whitepaper came out, and evidence that he was very likely to have used ChatGPT to falsify at least some of the information, and strong evidence that he did this by editing a hard drive image file of an XP machine while having his clock turned back on his Windows 10 computer

Edit: He also said that he couldn't unlock a password-protected .zip file because "he was hacked and all his password files were deleted".

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I dunno if that proves anything it all sounds pretty on-brand for bitcoin

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

I dunno if that proves anything it all sounds pretty on-brand for bitcoin

Of course, so does the entire thing being a lazy grift.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I am Satoshi Nakamoto.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I am Satoshi Nakamoto.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I also like trains and a free lunch but that doesn't make me no Satoshi.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

zedprime posted:

I also like trains and a free lunch but that doesn't make me no Satoshi.

This sounds like something Satoshi Nakamoto would say...

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, SBF's google doc of "bad ideas" to respond to the failure of FTX was posted by the DOJ:

most of these are boring like blaming lawyers, but I for one wish that he had gone full MAGA on tucker

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
11) *Pay Michael Lewis to interview me on e.g. ABC

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

drk posted:

lol, SBF's google doc of "bad ideas" to respond to the failure of FTX was posted by the DOJ:

most of these are boring like blaming lawyers, but I for one wish that he had gone full MAGA on tucker

god drat he sucks so much. him and his parents.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Neito posted:

references to C++ libraries that weren't even concieved of at the time the Whitepaper came out

His idiot supporters said this proved he actually was satoshi, because he was so advanced that he wrote his own custom extension to the standard libraries within the standard library namespace that worked exactly like the future standard library would eventually work 100% perfectly. What a massive brain genius!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

b2d, j7d

edit: I am s13o

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2024

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I am sharticus

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

sounds like something someone that wasn't sharticus would say

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Michael Lewis really looks like a tool the past year with his pandering SBF book and his comments about Michael Oher from the BlindSide.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Crust First posted:

His idiot supporters said this proved he actually was satoshi, because he was so advanced that he wrote his own custom extension to the standard libraries within the standard library namespace that worked exactly like the future standard library would eventually work 100% perfectly. What a massive brain genius!

#include <thefuture.h>
#define Satoshi "me"

Check mate

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

i0m g1y

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Michael Lewis really looks like a tool the past year with his pandering SBF book and his comments about Michael Oher from the BlindSide.

Lewis is a fraud and a moron, but I don't see that posing a real obstacle to his career

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crust First posted:

Are they really? Christ, they'll form a cult about anything, won't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Apes together strong