Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People struggled with Morrowind's combat because they had 0 stamina when fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leal posted:

People struggled with Morrowind's combat because they had 0 stamina when fighting

if you dont manage your stamina your a noob simple as

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

TheSwizzler posted:

I love Oblivion but the random non-quest POIs being boring or repeated was the one thing dragging it down and the one thing Skyrim did better

i noticed no differennce

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

morrowind had the best combat of the elder scrolls games, unironically. anyone's who's played a real RPG knows that missing because of a behind-the-scenes dice roll is infinitely better than The Bare Minimum Action Combat. It legitimatized your build and functioned as a better representation of your character's actual skills than being able to M1 faster than the other guy
I mean not long into the game and you'll get the xp required to be hitting stuff reliably regardless, at which point you are now simply playing a game with Below The Bare Minimum Action Combat

the world and public transportation options as fast travel are great though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Leal posted:

and they were trying to use the knife from the table instead of an axe you told the game you were going to use

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
morrowind, oblivion, skyrim, modded morrowind, modded oblivion, and modded skyrim are all beautiful jank creations from heaven(?)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

does todd howard have to choke a bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bRRv_rpPs fullscreen lol

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
oblivion npc looking at skyrim roadmap "this doesn't look like anything to me"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I missed Morrowind and just assume it's the best in the series but that it's hard to go backwards with Bethesda games.

I think Oblivion is better than Skyrim, but I admittedly played Oblivion with mods and Skyrim without them. I think the jank/charm thing is right, but it's sort of hard to defend that, lol. I just know that I never did all of the quests in Skyrim, but I had a file in Oblivion where I finished everything and then went and sat on the Madness throne in the Shivering Isle before saving, and to be honest and to give it to Godd Howard, it was deeply satisfying in a way that few games since have been. If I had an absolute eternity and an ability to duplicate my mod set up, I'd do it again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, Skyrim had a ton of intentional easter eggs, but a ton of the smaller quests felt like the joke quest in Oblivion where that guy in the Shivering Isles asks you to find 100 tongs, and the bugs, while funny, were not as funny as stuff like "Every file you have, at least one pair of Imperial Hunter guys accidentally shoot each other enough times that they get locked in an eternal battle of shooting arrows into each other's shields."

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Morrowind ftw. Oblivion was cool I suppose, still had all the fun class building and stats you want from an rpg and some very good questlines. Skyrim............ I mean I still play it, I have fun I guess thanks to the unpaid labour of a bunch of deranged freak modders who try their best to clumsily force it into an rpg and spice up the bland boring world, but it's core is pretty disappointing to say the least!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Last time I tried to play Oblivion I downloaded a bunch of mods, downloaded a dozen comparability mods so they can all work with each other, then hard crashed every time I reached the character creator

It was like being welcomed home again :unsmith:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

skyblivion has a release scheduled in 2025

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I could be dead by then.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I could be dead by then.

you will be, because i will kill you (extremely actionable)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I gotta finish my oblivion playthrough, last time I stopped in the first oblivion gate after I couldn't beat some really hard daedra guy and I haven't tried again

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If Starfield was on PS4 id pay 5 dollars for it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

If Starfield was on PS4 id pay 5 dollars for it.

give it to a homeless guy for drugs instead of giving it to todd howard for drugs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i respect and celebrate godd howard

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

oblivion still has charm cuz they contracted kirkbride to do dialogue, which is why everyone is just slightly strange and off. it's a great atmosphere. skyrim meanwhile is a sterile black hole

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i enjoyed slaying dragons and looking at pretty snowscapes, you want sterile just take a visit to new atlantis

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Al! posted:

give it to a homeless guy for drugs instead of giving it to todd howard for drugs

Now that I know Todd Howard is a cool gamer I’d go 10.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Al! posted:

i enjoyed slaying dragons and looking at pretty snowscapes, you want sterile just take a visit to new atlantis

i did and you are right. starfield's creativity is in the gutter. but i do mean writing wise

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

was watching goons lose their mind over tiktok earlier and it reminded me of the “this site is genociding ai” guy and lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A huge chunk of the Skyrim love is from the absolute highs the modding community generated.

Is there any kind of robust mods for Starfield or is it weirdly restrictive to mod for.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

A huge chunk of the Skyrim love is from the absolute highs the modding community generated.

Is there any kind of robust mods for Starfield or is it weirdly restrictive to mod for.

the only thing i know about starfield modding is a team that was trying to mod it gave up because the game was boring. betheseda hasnt released the modding tools for it yet either

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah for some reason it's taking them forever to release the actual tools, so all of the modding so far has been really simple swaps or really basic code modification. It's honestly pretty strange

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah for some reason it's taking them forever to release the actual tools, so all of the modding so far has been really simple swaps or really basic code modification. It's honestly pretty strange

word is that todd took a pass at the game at the last minute and had them rip out a bunch of systems for not being "fun" which is why everything seems half finished

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pentyne posted:

No lol. There's like half as many people playing Starfield than just one of the many versions of Skyrim, nobody cares

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

NoiseAnnoys posted:

was watching goons lose their mind over tiktok earlier and it reminded me of the “this site is genociding ai” guy and lol

"You're joking but AI has more humanity than the actual human patients I am in charge of!!"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Al! posted:

word is that todd took a pass at the game at the last minute and had them rip out a bunch of systems for not being "fun" which is why everything seems half finished

And he was right to do so.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Al! posted:

in starfield i went into a random ship on a planet and the ppl ont he ship were smugglers and assumed i was who they were waiting for and gave me a sick pistol for free. about 10 hours later a guy stopped me in space saying he was the actual intended recipient of the gun and told me to return it, so i blew up his engines, boarded him and killed him with his own gun and stole his ship. this interaction was singlehandedly more interesting than anything in the entire game of skyrim.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

"You're joking but AI has more humanity than the actual human patients I am in charge of!!"

"Now AI, generate me some Princess Peach upskirt shots"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Stux posted:

in starfield i went into a random ship on a planet and the ppl ont he ship were smugglers and assumed i was who they were waiting for and gave me a sick pistol for free. about 10 hours later a guy stopped me in space saying he was the actual intended recipient of the gun and told me to return it, so i blew up his engines, boarded him and killed him with his own gun and stole his ship. this interaction was singlehandedly more interesting than anything in the entire game of skyrim.

drat thats cool!!!!! i tried to board a ship but it said inaccessible which was confusing and frustrating. maybe i hadnt unlocked boarding ships yet whos to say

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One time in Starfield a merc ship landed near me so I ran on board and shot up the place because I wanted to steal it, and while I was shooting the ship apparently took off into orbit and I didn't have the skills to pilot it

I was able to just fast travel out but it was real distressing for a minute

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Al! posted:

drat thats cool!!!!! i tried to board a ship but it said inaccessible which was confusing and frustrating. maybe i hadnt unlocked boarding ships yet whos to say

pebcak

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
generating Princess Peach MAXIMUM Modesty and its just her telling everyone her cakes are nothing special and mostly comes premixed in a box.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

:unsmith: