Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sushibandit posted:

That isn't saying much coming from the CEO whose studio apparently never expected most players to default to a simple railgun + normal weapon interaction for chargers, given their crazy spawn rate.

When you're really close to something - say, developing a game - with a small team of people over the course of years, it's very hard for those people who are living and breathing the game to understand how someone completely new to the experience will figure out what to do or what strategies they'll come up with to deal with your challenges. Now multiply that single data point by half a million, and those half a million data points will come together and figure something out that you never could've predicted.

Why? The computational power of a little over 100 people, even though they built and developed the game, will pale in comparison to that half million. Doubly so when the situation under which you're testing the game (a bunch of colleagues who are likely communicating with each other) is probably different than the reality of a bunch of silent pubs all trying to figure out how to do things on their own without relying on others.

In other words - cut them some slack, Captain Hindsight. They've been working their asses off since launch and I think they've honestly made some really good steps towards balancing the game in light of the oceans of toxic fans on the Discord and Reddit trying to drown them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

hey mom its 420 posted:

anyone on PS5 geting the bug where after you log in, some stuff that should be saved is reset? whenever I log in, I have the random voice for the helldiver, the liberator as my primary weapon, I see the major orders instructions when I look at the map and I keep getting the tutorial overlays (use your strategems!)

constantly for the past 3 days and its annoying as hell

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Problem is it doesn't even really do that because the AOE is incredibly small. Visually it's big, but the actual damage AOE might only hit a couple scavengers. You run out of ammo incredibly fast trying to do what most other guns do better without even trying.

I'm not big on following meta builds, but there aren't even niches where the Punisher/Blitzer perform well. They're genuinely a waste of a slot.

I gotta disagree about the Punisher. It's really really good against bugs as a close range backup. It's easier to use vs. Hunters and Warriors than the Slugger, and while it doesn't kill Brood Commanders or Hive Guards very well, it still staggers them and pushes them back, which the Breaker doesn't do

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The charger leg thing feels a lot like they got used to a certain way of killing chargers before being able to leg-shot them to death was implemented internally xD

Aipsh posted:

Which one is the sickle? I got the laser assault rifle in the first page and it’s okay I guess. It doesn’t look or sound like a laser, although weirdly I does look a lot more laser-y when someone else is shooting it

It's the first one.

Real true real life facts: there's a couple ways to deal damage with lasers. continuous beams are one way, but so are extremely intense, extremely short duration pulses. the way in which they damage material is different.

I do like the plasma shotgun, although i don't know why it's a 'Plasma Punisher' if its not going to be rounds reload. The radius is smaller than grenades which gets pretty noticeable when trying to kill scout striders. TBH impacts radius should probably be more like the plasma punishers if they want grenades to be balanced.

Plasma punisher definitely feels like a gun thats not very independent. its got a specific job. Can use it to hose down bot drops or big groups, but you'll want a reliable support weapon to go with it, or be real handy with your secondary.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The charger leg thing feels a lot like they got used to a certain way of killing chargers before being able to leg-shot them to death was implemented internally xD

It's the first one.

Real true real life facts: there's a couple ways to deal damage with lasers. continuous beams are one way, but so are extremely intense, extremely short duration pulses. the way in which they damage material is different.

I do like the plasma shotgun, although i don't know why it's a 'Plasma Punisher' if its not going to be rounds reload. The radius is smaller than grenades which gets pretty noticeable when trying to kill scout striders. TBH impacts radius should probably be more like the plasma punishers if they want grenades to be balanced.

Plasma punisher definitely feels like a gun thats not very independent. its got a specific job. Can use it to hose down bot drops or big groups, but you'll want a reliable support weapon to go with it, or be real handy with your secondary.

tempted to test it out with the little uzi secondary and like an MG as a stratagem. still having fun with that new AR Laser gun tho. it's pretty sick

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Helldivers 1: sickle is patched into the game, immediately obsoletes scythe

Helldivers 2: sickle is patched into the game, immediately obsoletes scythe

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
By the way, I am fairly sure that personal orders like these are incremented by anyone on your team, not just you.

For these weapon-specific ones they certainly are, because I haven't touched a machinegun yet today.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

By the way, I am fairly sure that personal orders like these are incremented by anyone on your team, not just you.

For these weapon-specific ones they certainly are, because I haven't touched a machinegun yet today.
As far as I know it has been true for every personal order so far

It was the only way I got the 120mm order done from back before they buffed it

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I will never use the sickle because it looks really loving dumb bouncing around on my hip. Needs a major aesthetics buff.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The sickle needs to be patched to sound like zapzapzap or something instead of like a normal gun. It’s incredibly good though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

honestly I thought the weapons sounded way more powerful in HD1.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

The Sickle is lightyears ahead of anything else in the Warbond. It's almost insulting how useless both of the shotguns are. I'm particularly disappointed in the Blitzer (even though it's better than the plasma shotty) because the description says it arcs to all enemies in range. It doesn't. It hits maybe 3 targets and often doesn't kill. Slugger/breaker are still the best.

Considering the cool laser is reminding me "Not overpowered when constantly dealing with 2-3 stalkers at the same time!", I can only imagine how much of a shitshow the lighting shotgun I don't have yet is against them.

Had the literal best smooth sailing silo mission yet! Followed by god apparently taking offense to that on just 7.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

The Sickle is lightyears ahead of anything else in the Warbond. It's almost insulting how useless both of the shotguns are. I'm particularly disappointed in the Blitzer (even though it's better than the plasma shotty) because the description says it arcs to all enemies in range. It doesn't. It hits maybe 3 targets and often doesn't kill. Slugger/breaker are still the best.
Depending on how it affects patrol spawnrates, the Localization Confusion booster might be the sleeper best thing in the warbond.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Who else keeps crashing to desktop today? I can't finish a single mission.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Huh. Heeth's been hit with a 24 hour defense mission and there's a bunch of free rocket pods? Weird.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have come to the conclusion that the AX/AR-23 Guard Dog drone sucks rear end and should not be purchased.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

LazyMaybe posted:

Depending on how it affects patrol spawnrates, the Localization Confusion booster might be the sleeper best thing in the warbond.
From that one reddit post about patrols, looks like this section got added:

quote:

What is the impact of the "Localization Confusion" Booster?
As of 3/14/24, the Localization Confusion Booster has no effect on the Baseline times or any of the mechanics described. It appears to not have any effect on Patrols whatsoever.

Localization Confusion substantially increases the length of the internal timer between Reinforcement calls (Bot Drops/Breaches). Rough testing it looks like a 35-40% increase between those.

It does not delay the time for a particular enemy to call, it just lengthens the time before another call can occur.

For example, in a Level 1 Automaton mission, they are able to call Dropships every 250 seconds. With the Booster, this becomes every 340 seconds.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Some top tier gameplay here y'all :patriot:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Insert name here posted:

From that one reddit post about patrols, looks like this section got added:
That seems extremely good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

sushibandit posted:

That isn't saying much coming from the CEO whose studio apparently never expected most players to default to a simple railgun + normal weapon interaction for chargers, given their crazy spawn rate.

lmao how are people still hung up about this move on

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Fellow Helldiver bros, the new EAT instant kill on Chargers is loving AMAZING. It's so so good. You can kill two chargers every minute or so.

Also I apologize to whoever I told to aim for the mouth for the instant kill, that is false. You actually want to aim much higher, at the forehead area. Basically hit right where there brain should be.

Insert name here posted:

It was a superstore option yeah:

Don't know when it'll be back though because today marks the first day we got new armours in the superstore

ew its ugly i dont like it. what good is owning democracy's enemies if I can't look good doing it?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I will never use the sickle because it looks really loving dumb bouncing around on my hip. Needs a major aesthetics buff.

Yeah I think the guns are getting too goddamn big, which is magnified when they are colorful. The Slugger also looks extremely dumb due to size

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

LazyMaybe posted:

Yeah it sounds really good, but I'm curious to know what the default timer is for each difficulty to see just how much extra leeway you actually get with it.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

apostateCourier posted:

This has been directly shot down by the CEO as a stupid idea.
We get warnings for artillery, and for tank turrets or static emplacements, we see a small flash of the turret before it obliterates you, giving you a moment to see, react, and dive out of the way. Having two common enemies (Rocket raiders, Rocket Devestators) pre-cook their salvos around corners, have no "tell" that they're about to obliterate you, and pop you through fog feels incredibly cheap. I've had Rocket Devastators pop out of dropships and immediately salvo me to death a frame after they land, as well.

It's part of the reason I've seen people still suggest the shield for Bot content over just about any other backpack - ignoring flinch and surviving random rockets is huge.

If we can't get better telegraphing for those attacks, maybe the poo poo-tier enemies with these absurdly dangerous weapons could have ammunition constraints, where the Rocket Raider gets one shot and has to swap to a laser weapon, and the devastator gets a handful of salvos before the pods on their back are empty.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

"I'll just run in and grab that sample real quick," I say, putting on my clown makeup and wig

https://i.imgur.com/lUj9c62.mp4

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Sestze posted:

If we can't get better telegraphing for those attacks, maybe the poo poo-tier enemies with these absurdly dangerous weapons could have ammunition constraints, where the Rocket Raider gets one shot and has to swap to a laser weapon, and the devastator gets a handful of salvos before the pods on their back are empty.
That would be cool as gently caress actually. Rocket devastator gets one or two barrages from each pod, then physically ejects them and charges you or something. The destruction model already exists, just has to be tuned to a purely-visual effect.

ijyt posted:

lmao how are people still hung up about this move on
Say stupid things, it's fair game for other stupid things to come up in reply.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How's the new premium warbond thing? I've managed to get up to 985 super credits from playing for free which seems pretty bananas from how relatively little I've played. I decided not to get the one that was in the game at launch cause it seems relatively meh, maybe sometime if I play the game long term but not for now but was curious how the new one seems?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont think its stupid to have overlooked the railgun thing. Stuff like that happens all the time.

Edit:

thebardyspoon posted:

How's the new premium warbond thing? I've managed to get up to 985 super credits from playing for free which seems pretty bananas from how relatively little I've played. I decided not to get the one that was in the game at launch cause it seems relatively meh, maybe sometime if I play the game long term but not for now but was curious how the new one seems?

I want it if only so i can run tesla tower more.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

sushibandit posted:

Say stupid things, it's fair game for other stupid things to come up in reply.

It's not stupid given they were balancing things so that the upper 2 difficulties were meant to be extremely difficult and not something most players could clear regularly. They were genuinely surprised at how often people were clearing them.

Also the greater the population of people the more likely people will find edge poo poo like that.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Triarii posted:

"I'll just run in and grab that sample real quick," I say, putting on my clown makeup and wig

https://i.imgur.com/lUj9c62.mp4

My best accidental mounting was mounting a mortar turret that immediately blasted me to smithereens

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cimber posted:

I have come to the conclusion that the AX/AR-23 Guard Dog drone sucks rear end and should not be purchased.

There are no bad Guard Dogs, just bad Helldivers.
Both Guard Dogs are good bois.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thebardyspoon posted:

The Sickle (laser rifle) is definitely in the top tier of primaries (but isn't OP), stun grenades are great, the other weapons have mixed reviews at best. New booster is unknown how good it is yet, and the armor is good if your friends like the Arc Thrower or Tesla Towers. Personally I didn't like anything in the launch premium warbond, so if you're deciding on which to get I'd definitely say the new one

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly it's extremely to the dev's credit that none of the premium weapons have been clearly superior to the free ones.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

are you using the sickle and/or confusion booster?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Sindai posted:

Honestly it's extremely to the dev's credit that none of the premium weapons have been clearly superior to the free ones.

It really is. The Liberator is a Top... 3? 4? primary weapon and it's the one you start with.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I think the lightning shotgun should be better and use ammo, as is it's just kinda ehhh...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

Yeah no matter how much it affects it unless it's like 1% it's totally worth it imo. Top tiers would probably be the two first ones (injury resistance and fully stocked out of pods), plus stamina enhancement and this one.

Radar is pretty good too but I'd say less crucial, some may disagree.

TracerBullet posted:

My best accidental mounting was mounting a mortar turret that immediately blasted me to smithereens

When the game first launched you wouldn't mount anything without pressing A. Is there a way to make it like that again?

Horace Kinch posted:

I had one crash in a very specific situation when I stuck myself in a bush then a pod landed right next to me as I dove back, crashed me and another guy. Rest of the missions have been fine for me on PC.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Play posted:

When the game first launched you wouldn't mount anything without pressing A. Is there a way to make it like that again?

If you are sprinting, you will auto-mantle. If you are not sprinting you will have to long press X/Cross or whatever the button is on keyboard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Baggot posted:

If you are sprinting, you will auto-mantle. If you are not sprinting you will have to long press X/Cross or whatever the button is on keyboard.

I am always sprinting tho

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yes.... yes it does

and it is, technically