Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Pacific Drive has a feature where you can respawn your car (at a cost) when it flips over or gets stuck, but it would be real nice if when my car got stuck on a railing it hadn't just respawned it stuck on the same railing in the same way four times in a row leaving me with a busted vehicle and no chance to escape. I was literally seconds away from the exit point and had a car full of valuable loot goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Taeke posted:

Pacific Drive has a feature where you can respawn your car (at a cost) when it flips over or gets stuck, but it would be real nice if when my car got stuck on a railing it hadn't just respawned it stuck on the same railing in the same way four times in a row leaving me with a busted vehicle and no chance to escape. I was literally seconds away from the exit point and had a car full of valuable loot goddamnit.

You can set where you respawn the car, though - like, it respawns directly in front of you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Splicer posted:

Borderlands 2 spent a chunk of the intro talking about getting a gun and giving me a lovely gun and how great it will be to get a decent gun.

Pre-order bonus means every game starts you with a gun.

A thing that happened to me in Borderlands 2 is that I did that early mission where they introduce you to the Slag mechanic by loaning you a slag gun then I proceeded to never see one again in the rest of the game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

A thing that happened to me in Borderlands 2 is that I did that early mission where they introduce you to the Slag mechanic by loaning you a slag gun then I proceeded to never see one again in the rest of the game.

Slag was just a terrible mechanic in general. At higher difficulties the game turned in to “keep a slag gun in one of your limited weapon slots so you can use it first and actually kill things in a reasonable amount of time”.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Speaking of Boderlands, I'm finally doing BL3. There is far, far too much dialogue, and not one bit of it is any good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bussamove posted:

Slag was just a terrible mechanic in general. At higher difficulties the game turned in to “keep a slag gun in one of your limited weapon slots so you can use it first and actually kill things in a reasonable amount of time”.
Or you played one of the OP characters/builds with built in slag and didn't worry about it. But that's what you get if you listen to idiot hardcore forum warriors for "game balance" as a developer I guess.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure this is a common complaint but Midnight Suns does that thing where you're in a cutscene, they say you should go give something to this other guy, then it leaves the cutscene, you walk ten feet, initiate a conversation with that other guy, then another cutscene starts. This is not making me feel like I have more agency!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

kazil posted:

Speaking of Boderlands, I'm finally doing BL3. There is far, far too much dialogue, and not one bit of it is any good.

I say this a lot when BL3 gets brought up but at least at one point the post on the Borderlands subreddit with some of the highest upvotes was the one explaining how to remove all the voice files from the game and still have the game play.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Morpheus posted:

You can set where you respawn the car, though - like, it respawns directly in front of you.

lol okay, disregard then. I thought it just respawned somewhere in the immediate area randomly, probably because the previous times I respawned it I was frantically looking around for threats lmao

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

tediore guns suck butt

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite is them making a big drat deal about E-tech guns, when aside from like one guaranteed drop per run you're probably never going to see another one. Also by design they're all gimmicky and weird and don't really matter.

Honestly I think the pre-order weapons in BL2 were pretty well balanced. They're the definition of Pretty Good at the start of the game and then almost immediately become outclassed once you're past the tutorial. Still makes the narrative of the tutorial a little silly though I guess.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Mar 12, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

tediore guns suck butt

“Lol it’s the cheapass Walmart of guns” is funny in concept and just hucking them so they explode and another one materializes in your hand could be a neat mechanic but like a lot of poo poo in Borderlands was half-baked and didn’t scale nearly well enough to make up for the fact you were shooting a Tediore.

I love Borderlands 2 and the franchise as like, a concept but goddamn is that ball dropped constantly.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mr E posted:

I say this a lot when BL3 gets brought up but at least at one point the post on the Borderlands subreddit with some of the highest upvotes was the one explaining how to remove all the voice files from the game and still have the game play.

I played Borderlands with the voice off and it's got a certain vibe I really liked especially if you didn't hear the constant chatter. BL2's guns felt really bad and it got more cutscenes so having the voice off didn't even help that much.

I'm not usually annoyed by bad or cliche jokes but those games are relentlessly annoying. When I heard there's way more of it in BL3... yeah.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Removing the voice lines from Borderlands is ok as long as you can keep Mr.Torgue's lines intact., :colbert:

"THERE'S NOTHING MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!"

He's like a 90% Macho Man impression, but with like 10% Binky the Clown thrown in.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

John Murdoch posted:

My favorite is them making a big drat deal about E-tech guns, when aside from like one guaranteed drop per run you're probably never going to see another one. Also by design they're all gimmicky and weird and don't really matter.
I've always kind of idly wondered if I was missing something, cause I've never seen one outside of that one that you get for an early-ish mission, but heh guess not!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Removing the voice lines from Borderlands is ok as long as you can keep Mr.Torgue's lines intact., :colbert:

"THERE'S NOTHING MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!"

He's like a 90% Macho Man impression, but with like 10% Binky the Clown thrown in.

I've only got one question for you:

:torgue:EXPLOSIONS!?:torgue:

I personally liked most of the writing in BL2 but all the games afterwards are unfortunately absolutely terrible. So if you did not like the writing in BL2 then definitely don't play the pre-sequel or 3.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like a lot of BL2 outside of claptrap and tina but pre-sequel was not great writing wise and then BL3 got even worse to where I just quit about 5 hours in. Gunplay seemed way better in 3 tho.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

did they ever add melee to the series proper?

Zer0...was kind of melee i guess

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr E posted:

I like a lot of BL2 outside of claptrap and tina but pre-sequel was not great writing wise and then BL3 got even worse to where I just quit about 5 hours in. Gunplay seemed way better in 3 tho.

BL2 the legendary drop rate was horrendously low because some added too many zeros or something so the game balanced around a 0.001 Legendary drop rate instead had 0.00001 or something. They tried to make good by giving away tons of the purple shard currency but for PC play the only good option was to just cheat engine and fix the drop rate manually.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

BL2 the legendary drop rate was horrendously low because some added too many zeros or something so the game balanced around a 0.001 Legendary drop rate instead had 0.00001 or something. They tried to make good by giving away tons of the purple shard currency but for PC play the only good option was to just cheat engine and fix the drop rate manually.
The legendary drop rate was low because the tryhards on the forums demanded (since BL1) that special gear had to be rare and filthy casual players had to work for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I was a sad sicko who played a lot of BL2 at the time and got pretty invested in it despite its attempts to stop me, and the terribad drop rates were completely intended. the devs said as much.

you had to specifically go out of your way to farm bosses for drops if you wanted to see more than 1 orange item in an entire playthrough. it was unbelievably asinine

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
After I finished BL2, I fired up cheat engine and increased the weapon drop rate and movement speed and the game was vastly more fun. There is a ton of weapon effects you’ll just never see because they are attached to super rare things. Plus doing that I was able to replace the level 19slag SMGi had to carry along for. 2/3s of the game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The drop rate of good guns in BL1 was bad enough that most of the game I felt like the level scaling was making me weaker

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Yeah, it wasn't just the legendary drop rate that was terrible in the first three games. If you wanted anything rarer than, like, a green item, you would be waiting/farming a LOT. Relatedly, this is also why e-tech guns were such a non-factor: they were all purple rarity, so you had to first get the game to drop a purple gun, then it had to roll the right result of all possible purple guns in the game for it to be e-tech.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Owl Inspector posted:

you had to specifically go out of your way to farm bosses for drops if you wanted to see more than 1 orange item in an entire playthrough. it was unbelievably asinine

Played through it casually a while back and yep, one legendary drop for the entire run (dropped by some weird robot enemy that popped out of a chest in the animal sanctuary, not even a boss). Ended up playing most of the end game with a gimmick weapon I got from a sidequest, a pistol which did pitiful damage on direct hits but would split into a kind of shotgun blast if you angled a shot off the ground and was vastly stronger than anything else I found. Tore through enemies but doing the final stretch staring at the floor didn't exactly make for great gameplay.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Basically you would go through the games using only named guns that dropped from quests even though they were under leveled because they're the only things that did at least mediocre damage.

Or play kreig and just gently caress poo poo up.(50 seconds in onwards)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Mod to re-enable Craig's full random monologues required.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

did they ever add melee to the series proper?

Zer0...was kind of melee i guess

The Tiny Tina's spinoff has several melee-focused classes, but otherwise...not really.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah after beating the base difficulty in BL2 I definitely turned on cheat engine for any further playing because the drop rates were atrocious. I love ARPGs but you've gotta get rare stuff enough for me to think it's not just a waste of time. Not everything needs to be Stone of Jordan level rarity.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I honestly don't remember having that bad a time with loot in BL1 (because vending machines generated lots of good guns) or in BL2 (admittedly thanks to the golden chest papering over loot gaps). But with the giant asterisk that, particularly in 2, if you wanted build-defining legendary items then gently caress you, start grinding.

That people struggled to find even decent purple items doesn't match my experience at all.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The Tiny Tina's spinoff has several melee-focused classes, but otherwise...not really.

Melee in Wonderlands still doesn't feel great, I didn't manage to build a character whom I would dare put in melee range in the end game on the regular. High chaos levels are dangerous.

There is technically still the gun that counts as a melee attack, and the stabbomancer's ultimate skill summons swords that count as melee attacks, so you can build a ranged character that deals "melee" damage, but that's not what I wanted.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Borderlands did Kreig dirty and ill never forgive it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
all this reminds me of the insane nerd fandom with claptrap including apparently having him officiate an IRL wedding.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like the towers in FF7 Rebirth. To be clear, I don't mind the open world stuff, but the towers feel like some sort of last-minute addition.

Almost everything in the world has a diegetic way of being shown to you - chocobos and birds leading you to rest stops and life springs, destroying glowing stones to find the summon altars, and completing these objectives will often have Chadley remark about something that's been discovered, putting it on the map.

The towers just...ignore all that and plunk icons on your map in the laziest way. Given everything else it just feels like they were added when some people got frustrated about finding the last thing in an area or something (and even then there are more interesting ways of solving that issue).

Also MAI is irritating and I wish I could turn her off. At one point needed to restart a battle a couple times to get an objective and hearing her go through the spiel of the enemies I was fighting every single time made me turn off the controller volume until I finished it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

Also MAI is irritating and I wish I could turn her off. At one point needed to restart a battle a couple times to get an objective and hearing her go through the spiel of the enemies I was fighting every single time made me turn off the controller volume until I finished it.

There is a setting so she only says it during the first attempt. I don't own the game, so I don't know the setting's name and where it is. I just know it exists, because I saw a streamer turn it off after the first time she kept popping up.

Edit: Gameplay > Completed Assignment Guidance

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

all this reminds me of the insane nerd fandom with claptrap including apparently having him officiate an IRL wedding.

Holy hell i have never been happier to have no idea what someone is talking about

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Wait they had claptrap officiate? I thought they just did that video where Claptrap read out the proposal while the dude offered her the ring, I thought that was kind of cute.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Unicorn Overlord has incredibly fun gameplay and beautiful artwork and really interesting and rewarding squad building and unit customization and has overall been a fantastic experience that’s eaten up all my free time since I got it.

BUT

The werewolf units use the same voices as all the human recruits, so when they use the skill “Bestral Howl” the wolf tilts their head to the sky in the classic howling at the moon pose, and then you hear a grunt like a guy picking up something heavy.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BG3 spoilers:
So Karlach's infernal engine is about to explode no matter what you do. That sucks. But then in act3 you find out the Steel Watch are using a stable, upgraded infernal engine based on her own engine's design? Cool! Let's free the engineers who invented this better engine. Then no one mentions giving her a stable engine. There's not even a throwaway line about why it wouldn't work. Why even mention the Steel Watch has poo poo based on her design in the first place? That's bad DMing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

grittyreboot posted:

BG3 spoilers:
So Karlach's infernal engine is about to explode no matter what you do. That sucks. But then in act3 you find out the Steel Watch are using a stable, upgraded infernal engine based on her own engine's design? Cool! Let's free the engineers who invented this better engine. Then no one mentions giving her a stable engine. There's not even a throwaway line about why it wouldn't work. Why even mention the Steel Watch has poo poo based on her design in the first place? That's bad DMing

I stand by my feeling that BG3 is a perfect simulation of D&D with a bad DM.

And also a table that's just uncomfortably horny, but that might be a normal D&D thing.