Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The French, of course, don't say fil-ay, because they know how to pronounce French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My favorite is the English pronunciation of fleur de lys because we don't pronounce the final "s," but in French you do. We're trying :negative:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, British English has famously never been influenced by French, not in the slightest.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Unkempt posted:

You can't say 'fillet', it's 'fill-ay'. I have no idea why.

Because fillet already means something. It's like a chamfer but round.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My favorite thing learning some French was just how many times we do something like “in lieu of ‘place’ I will use the French word meaning ‘place,’” just to sound fancy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, British English has famously never been influenced by French, not in the slightest.

They don’t pay attention to any other languages, I’ve heard how they pronounce paella.

edit: if you don't know how to pronounce it there is a perfect pronunciation guide here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isCyL2raNMg&t=42s

Ror has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Mar 14, 2024

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/andy_vgc/status/1768285992199291116?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wait a fuckin minute. You mean fil-ay isn't correct? Nor Fleur de lee? I dont know whats real or not anymore.

These two are just from today

I fuckin hate facebook

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

codo27 posted:

Wait a fuckin minute. You mean fil-ay isn't correct? Nor Fleur de lee? I dont know whats real or not anymore.

It's right if you're American. There isn't really right or wrong. Like with Guillotine is a French word and adopted into British English, now around that time the French were not that popular on account of all the conquering in Europe so a bunch of French pronunciations really fell out of fashion. Hence how we say it in the UK. But in the US it's not a word you got from British English but rather directly from the French around the same time. So you say it like the French do.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not an actual linguist so if this guy has some weird ideas then oops but it's what I've understood about the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDvAK8Z-Jc

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
A fillet is food and a fillet is a weld

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://x.com/youwouldknow/status/1768261862838210631?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Kate, don't come around here no more.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Aramoro posted:

It's right if you're American. There isn't really right or wrong. Like with Guillotine is a French word and adopted into British English, now around that time the French were not that popular on account of all the conquering in Europe so a bunch of French pronunciations really fell out of fashion. Hence how we say it in the UK. But in the US it's not a word you got from British English but rather directly from the French around the same time. So you say it like the French do.

I'm guessing there's also a lot of very old french loanwords in english that were adopted when the french pronunciation was very different

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Pookah posted:

I'm guessing there's also a lot of very old french loanwords in english that were adopted when the french pronunciation was very different

You got a ton of different moments in the history of English where French came in with Norman French in 1066 being a big one and the laws and court were in Latin and French for several hundred years. Basically Old English to middle English transition has a lot to do with this influence and a lot of those words stuck around as a higher register, especially legal terms. Then you've got several hundred more years of exchange with terms coming in for different things like art or military or whatever.

Terms borrowed later do seem to keep their pronunciation a bit and are sometimes even completely superfluous like the word artiste

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mauser posted:

You got a ton of different moments in the history of English where French came in with Norman French in 1066 being a big one and the laws and court were in Latin and French for several hundred years. Basically Old English to middle English transition has a lot to do with this influence and a lot of those words stuck around as a higher register, especially legal terms. Then you've got several hundred more years of exchange with terms coming in for different things like art or military or whatever.

Terms borrowed later do seem to keep their pronunciation a bit and are sometimes even completely superfluous like the word artiste

I was thinking about the joke in the Canterbury Tales about the prioress speaking London French that would have been unintelligible to a contemporary Parisian.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A fillet can also be a thing you put in your hair! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillet_(clothing)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://bsky.app/profile/weedhitter.shellcorp.net/post/3knodu62wek2l

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The British empire ruthlessly plundered the world for centuries. More people speak English as a first language outside of England rather than inside and now and the modern English are not allowed to hassle people about the "correct" way to pronounce and spell things.
Same goes for you, France, Spain and Portugal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Riven posted:

My favorite thing learning some French was just how many times we do something like “in lieu of ‘place’ I will use the French word meaning ‘place,’” just to sound fancy.

I love it when people concoct fake etymology to sound fancy, and their changes to the language become ossified, like the office of “comptroller” or the pronunciation spelling of the River Thames.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Mar 15, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Platystemon posted:

or the pronunciation of the River Thames.

You may need to explain this one. Is it the same deal as rime becoming rhyme, or det getting a "b"?

I only ever heard "comptroller" in The Simpsons and assumed it was a stupid made up title for the show...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Bucket posted:

You may need to explain this one. Is it the same deal as rime becoming rhyme, or det getting a "b"?

I misspoke.

It’s the spelling that changed. It gained an “h” in the seventeenth century in the mistaken belief that the name was of Greek origin.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Americans are weird about that sort of thing. There's no blue cheese, it's 'bleu'. You can't say 'fillet', it's 'fill-ay'. I have no idea why.

I think American English is just slightly, just slightly, better with importing loanwords from romance languages than the British. Americans are ironically a lot more willing to respect the phonetics of Spanish or French, despite their reputation. Close access to Mexico and a large portion of the continental US being formerly French and Spanish territory did more to shape the dialect than people realize.

Also if you went to the US and tried to pronounce tortilla as "tor-till-ah" instead of "tor-tee-yah" everyone would look at you like you were hit on the head.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A lot of American spellings are just down to one guy Noah Webster who just made poo poo up because he thought it was better. He's the reason Americans lost the u from colour, he thought it would be easier for people to spell.

Sadly some of his best changes did not catch on

Soup - > Soop

Machine - > Mashen

Women - > Wimmin

Interestingly he wanted guillotine to be gillotin which suggests he pronounced it like the British.

What a place the states could have been.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Obviously there are some glitches like how Americans pronounce "fillet" like "filet," or the pronunciation of French-derived forte more along the lines of the Italian musical term, but that's just how the dialect evolved.

Aramoro posted:

A lot of American spellings are just down to one guy Noah Webster who just made poo poo up because he thought it was better. He's the reason Americans lost the u from colour, he thought it would be easier for people to spell.

Soup - > Soop

Machine - > Mashen

Women - > Wimmin

Interestingly he wanted guillotine to be gillotin which suggests he pronounced it like the British.

lmao

what a timeline that would be

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tree Bucket posted:

I only ever heard "comptroller" in The Simpsons and assumed it was a stupid made up title for the show...

Comptroller is an alternate spelling of controller and is usually pronounced the same as controller. Some organizations like to say it comp-troller just to be difficult (the US army, for example)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aramoro posted:

Soup - > Soop

Machine - > Mashen

Women - > Wimmin

Dropping the u from words like Color was brilliant. I do wish that, when I ordered a sandwich I was asked if I wanted "soop or salad"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

Women - > Wimmin

the Popeye timeline.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/skyler_higley/status/1768314385813115242
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1768288782309106152
https://twitter.com/AwfulButGreat/status/1768299878050869338
https://twitter.com/eraustinauthor/status/1755426346585714914

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://x.com/_richardparry_/status/1768374184437219436

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Why are people saying that lady is CGI ?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

they aren't. she's a cardboard cutout. didn't you see the real footage that guy posted

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

wack rear end conspiracy theories about the royal family are en vogue atm

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/imcxllumbtw/status/1768278480234414511

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The worst thing about English folk, being a darts fan, is they don't say triple, they say treble. We're not talking about music here, shut the gently caress up. I don't care if one of you has an explanation for this.

There's an eccentric old gay man in my little town of <300 who sometimes, while drunk, makes up words or otherwise butchers them. He once remarked someone as being "very hilario, quite the camolhan". Hilario is easy enough to understand, I've no idea what camolhan was supposed to mean.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I never fish with a treble hook

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

codo27 posted:

There's an eccentric old gay man in my little town of <300 who sometimes, while drunk, makes up words or otherwise butchers them. He once remarked someone as being "very hilario, quite the camolhan". Hilario is easy enough to understand, I've no idea what camolhan was supposed to mean.

I googled it and turned up nothing but it kinda sounds like Polari? Probably wrong on that tbh. He might just be a weird old queen which is pretty rad in of itself

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

codo27 posted:

The worst thing about English folk, being a darts fan, is they don't say triple, they say treble. We're not talking about music here, shut the gently caress up. I don't care if one of you has an explanation for this.

Drunken slur of comedian imo

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/Extralongdokkan/status/1768313605286707445?t=c-OK4zaJ6lSSuyUJCoh4Dg&s=19

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Runa posted:

I think American English is just slightly, just slightly, better with importing loanwords from romance languages than the British. Americans are ironically a lot more willing to respect the phonetics of Spanish or French, despite their reputation. Close access to Mexico and a large portion of the continental US being formerly French and Spanish territory did more to shape the dialect than people realize.

Also if you went to the US and tried to pronounce tortilla as "tor-till-ah" instead of "tor-tee-yah" everyone would look at you like you were hit on the head.

This is absolutely hilarious, seeing as the US mangles almost any word they try to pronounce, even if they at least give it the ol college try.

Yes hello, this is my friend gret-shuhn, she'd like a boo-reeto with jala-peen-jos and keh-soh, I'll have the tacos loh-cohs and some sir-vey-sah.

Not but for real, the us seems to make an effort even if it is a great source of amusement to hear it sometimes :)