Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://x.com/nathanjh31/status/1768320688819970401?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/christrapasso/status/1768364149325598952?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://x.com/CTowersCBS/status/1768381007198093619

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Sam Howell to the Seahawks. L. O. L.

Honestly, the fact that there's been seemingly no smoke at all about anyone taking Fields, makes me think the Bears are keeping him... guess we are trading the No.1 :gently caress:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait he believes in the tartarian empire conspiracy.

But that theory is so boring

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I bet he knows the name but not a lot else. Like all conspiracy theorists he's probably just a credulous moron who racks up a list of things to name-drop without even knowing the substance of most of the time, in order to have more administration to use when cornering people at parties

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I didn't think the idea of the FBI killing Tesla was that farfetched until I saw Rodgers believed it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sataere posted:

I didn't think the idea of the FBI killing Tesla was that farfetched until I saw Rodgers believed it

There are legends of the Packers once long ago beating the 49ers in the playoffs. But who knows if its true.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

soggybagel posted:

There are legends of the Packers once long ago beating the 49ers in the playoffs. But who knows if its true.

Sounds fake

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Ryan Poles actually going to do anything with their cap space or just roll it back with a rookie QB and see if the results improve? Like wtf is going on? How are they not in on any of the big name linemen?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Niwrad posted:

Is Ryan Poles actually going to do anything with their cap space or just roll it back with a rookie QB and see if the results improve? Like wtf is going on? How are they not in on any of the big name linemen?

He's probably saving it for a mid season trade to pull off like they did with Sweat.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1768400440691945567?s=46

Huh welcome back I guess

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:dafuq:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Rodgers being an apologist for the Tartars is funny.

Also checks out, seeing him on the Jets made the pack fans feel a little bit Gengis Khan

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Niwrad posted:

Getting a bit frustrating

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

WHY

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Looks like it’s a 1y/1.35m deal. De-risks the draft for pretty cheap, I guess.

https://x.com/tomgrossicomedy/status/1768405485852528949?s=46&t=3bRAS8rH63t1Hw7nhc27QA

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Shrimpy posted:

Looks like it’s a 1y/1.35m deal. De-risks the draft for pretty cheap, I guess.

https://x.com/tomgrossicomedy/status/1768405485852528949?s=46&t=3bRAS8rH63t1Hw7nhc27QA

I'm reading that a little differently. I'm reading that as $1.35 million + the veteran minimum (in DIllon's case, $1.08 million) for a combined total of $2.43 million.

Still not a huge deal, though. I was worried we gave him $4 mil guaranteed or something.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I wonder if Dillon tested the FA market and found no interest.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

surf rock posted:

I'm reading that a little differently. I'm reading that as $1.35 million + the veteran minimum (in DIllon's case, $1.08 million) for a combined total of $2.43 million.

Still not a huge deal, though. I was worried we gave him $4 mil guaranteed or something.

This is how I read it too. Only the vet min counts against the cap. I'm glad AJ is back, easy to cheer for.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I love AJ Dillon the person, and it's nice that he gets to continue his love affair with Door County for another season, I'm just asking the very swole man to break one (1) tackle next season

edit: https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1768411168593379688

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 15, 2024

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

Probably saving it for players who are worth the contract. I think Poles is killing it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HootTheOwl posted:

Rodgers being an apologist for the Tartars is funny.

Also checks out, seeing him on the Jets made the pack fans feel a little bit Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan wasn’t a tartar, he hated the tartars. Killed a shitload of them

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Probably saving it for players who are worth the contract. I think Poles is killing it

10-24 and coming back with a worse roster. Standards are as low as I guess they can possibly get.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

10-24 and coming back with a worse roster. Standards are as low as I guess they can possibly get.

Nah, it is just that my philosophy is that free agency is a band aid. It should only be used to cover holes so you can draft for need. Teams who spend big in free agency dont win championships. Now they just need an edge and receiver and they should be good.

I also think free agency is indicating they will likely trade out of nine to get more draft capital.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gengis Khan wasn’t a tartar, he hated the tartars. Killed a shitload of them

Batu Khan wept

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

It was brought up a few times in the athletic podcasts that Randy Mueller does and while it makes sense I never actually thought about it but ... Owners give gms how much actual cash they can spend on their roster each year. As Randy said it is very very very rarely even close to the cap, especially because they have to leave a buffer for injury signings and the like. Also because team might be investing in other things that year like say idk a new stadium.

So I'm not 100 sure this is all Ryan proles doing here he might just not have the actual dollars to spend this year regardless of the cap space available. The NFL does police this a bit with a pretty high salary cap floor that teams must spend in real dollars every year but they can float some of that year 2 year and delay spending for a few years if they choose.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Nah, it is just that my philosophy is that free agency is a band aid. It should only be used to cover holes so you can draft for need. Teams who spend big in free agency dont win championships. Now they just need an edge and receiver and they should be good.

I also think free agency is indicating they will likely trade out of nine to get more draft capital.

They need 2 starting wide receivers, a starting EDGE, a starting DT, and probably a good offensive lineman (although it seems like they might just be going with the trash heap strategy again there). If Poles can turn the #9 pick into filling all those holes, more power to him.

Not saying they had to grab Burns or anything on a monster contract. But Huff and Hunter were both pretty drat affordable and legit starters for the D-Line. Even a guy like Floyd would be a nice short term deal. Isn't the point of having a QB on a rookie contract that you can spend in other areas?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

adaz posted:

It was brought up a few times in the athletic podcasts that Randy Mueller does and while it makes sense I never actually thought about it but ... Owners give gms how much actual cash they can spend on their roster each year. As Randy said it is very very very rarely even close to the cap, especially because they have to leave a buffer for injury signings and the like. Also because team might be investing in other things that year like say idk a new stadium.

So I'm not 100 sure this is all Ryan proles doing here he might just not have the actual dollars to spend this year regardless of the cap space available. The NFL does police this a bit with a pretty high salary cap floor that teams must spend in real dollars every year but they can float some of that year 2 year and delay spending for a few years if they choose.

I haven't read anything about that and I don't think the Bears have had much issue spending on players in the past. They're cheap in other areas, but I've never heard it with the payroll. I think it's more likely the GM who has been really bad at free agency might just be having another really bad free agency.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
the whole video is pretty good especially but this particular area owns because it shows exactly how both the LaFleur scheme works and how Love has complete command over the offense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN_hPJxI_s8&t=489s

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I haven't read anything about that and I don't think the Bears have had much issue spending on players in the past. They're cheap in other areas, but I've never heard it with the payroll. I think it's more likely the GM who has been really bad at free agency might just be having another really bad free agency.

Was curious so I went in spottrac and looked. Until 2022 the bears were pretty much always spending 80 to 90% of cap each year. In cash spending they were a bit lower but reasonable in the top 1/3rd of League .

2022 they tore it down to the studs and were dead last in both cap spending and real cash. Last year they were below middle of the pack and this year so far that's the same trend. More like the 3rd quartile in spending. So it could be proles philosophy or it could just be the owner or a combo of both. But since 2022 they haven't spent like they did before and even with gobs of cap space still haven't really spent it on much.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Four days into free agency with a handful of starter-quality players still available at positions of need and two incredibly valuable draft picks, that's probably the right time to complain about how the roster is still incomplete

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/live/ffqUqk78A1I?feature=shared

DJ Reader press conference.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

They need 2 starting wide receivers, a starting EDGE, a starting DT, and probably a good offensive lineman (although it seems like they might just be going with the trash heap strategy again there). If Poles can turn the #9 pick into filling all those holes, more power to him.

Not saying they had to grab Burns or anything on a monster contract. But Huff and Hunter were both pretty drat affordable and legit starters for the D-Line. Even a guy like Floyd would be a nice short term deal. Isn't the point of having a QB on a rookie contract that you can spend in other areas?

They are probably drafting a receiver and trusting Scott to develop in year two. They will sign someone, but I'm not expecting a splash.

They drafted two DTs last year and Dexter showed flashes. They still have Billings. They will probably add depth, but try developing the talent they have.

I think they will probably draft an edge and sign someone to a Yannick type deal in free agency.

They signed a bunch of replacement level guys and will probably draft someone else for the line.

They also seem to be ahead of the compensatory pick curve, which is a good sign.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Four days into free agency with a handful of starter-quality players still available at positions of need and two incredibly valuable draft picks, that's probably the right time to complain about how the roster is still incomplete

Said that the last 2 years too.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

https://twitter.com/kenny_zuckerman/status/1768428845064151073

At least we have depth now?

chrix fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2024

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

They are probably drafting a receiver and trusting Scott to develop in year two. They will sign someone, but I'm not expecting a splash.

They drafted two DTs last year and Dexter showed flashes. They still have Billings. They will probably add depth, but try developing the talent they have.

I think they will probably draft an edge and sign someone to a Yannick type deal in free agency.

They signed a bunch of replacement level guys and will probably draft someone else for the line.

They also seem to be ahead of the compensatory pick curve, which is a good sign.

Tyler Scott is a slot receiver, and Waldron doesn't utilize that (one of the downsides of having to change your offensive scheme every couple of years). Plus, he looked pretty bad last year. He's still young, so maybe that will change (although him being a slot in this offense makes it unlikely). I wouldn't pencil him into the lineup at all if you're looking to be competitive.

There isn't much left in the free agency pool for wide receivers. A guy like Gabe Davis would have been a nice signing. Maybe they have a trade working to bring in some receiver help. Or maybe they'll sign one of the good tackles left on the board to at least bolster the offensive line if they aren't going to really have many weapons.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The stage where they sign a bunch of dogshit players because they know the new system.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

Tyler Scott is a slot receiver

Do you even watch the Bears? Tyler Scott played 79.6% of his snaps out wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
https://x.com/packers/status/1768441972417552808?s=46

Aura