Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ninjutsu definitely works on the tornadoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Elemental damage only counts when you do a certain amount of it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the wimpy free elemental attacks never seem to count

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah the wimpy free elemental attacks never seem to count

Yeah the reason those proc instantly on some enemies is because you have to hit a much lower percentage of damage since their hp is lower than a boss

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

You can target the tornadoes in very specific and nonintuitive circumstances. Just keep checking over and over again.

This reminds me of the Marlboro tongue.

IMO targeting the Marlboro tongue in the Marlboro fight is a trap, because the only way I was able to reliably avoid its breaths was by just getting super far away. Even if I attacked the tongue the instant it appeared, I'd still get hit by the breath, and while it pressures the Marlboro that doesn't help if your party was all hosed up by the breath.

It might work with a long-ranged heavy attack, but the game sort of misleadingly implies that you can "intercept" the breath attacks by using a weapon skill on the tongue (and you have to be really far).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also if you're on Hard Mode you should be able to get banishment on Yuffie which inherits the element of her ninjutsu

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of the Marlboro tongue.

IMO targeting the Marlboro tongue in the Marlboro fight is a trap, because the only way I was able to reliably avoid its breaths was by just getting super far away. Even if I attacked the tongue the instant it appeared, I'd still get hit by the breath, and while it pressures the Marlboro that doesn't help if your party was all hosed up by the breath.

It might work with a long-ranged heavy attack, but the game sort of misleadingly implies that you can "intercept" the breath attacks by using a weapon skill on the tongue (and you have to be really far).

you can get behind the marlboro and use moves like Aerith's spellbound blast or Yuffie's ninjutsu to hit the tongue

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 14, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Craft safety bits
That did it :) Thank you!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

does the EXP up materia affect the whole party or just the character that has it equipped?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there a genuine use case anywhere in the game for the HP-MP swap materia?

It’s very funny to make a character have several thousand MP but there’s absolutely no reason to have that much MP ever and you won’t live long enough to even put a dent in it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah the Malboro mouth never really got me because it's available for a long time, not really mysterious about when it's available, and seemingly any amount of Max Fury or a full barrage of ninjutsu or a single Blizzard will destroy it.

I did wonder about elemental Banishment but it didn't occur to me to use it when the tornados didn't even appear as selectable targets otherwise. On reflection there was no reason to think that but it's still weird that the extremely important detail that apparently you have to wait until it's literally inside a tornado before hitting it is missing from the Assess screen. Gonna file this one under Dumb Gimmick. It's also weird that it doesn't mention that synergies and limit breaks also pressure the thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

also if you're on Hard Mode you should be able to get banishment on Yuffie which inherits the element of her ninjutsu

you can get behind the marlboro and use moves like Aerith's spellbound blast or Yuffie's ninjutsu to hit the tongue

That makes sense, though I was worried about it turning around. Also I want to say one of its breaths hits all around him. I remember I tried avoiding it for a while but kept getting hit, and could only reliably avoid it when I just stood 100ft away as Barrett (which is also a pretty effective solution - at least on Dynamic the Marlboro doesn't really do much to you from long range).

Fedule posted:

Yeah the Malboro mouth never really got me because it's available for a long time, not really mysterious about when it's available, and seemingly any amount of Max Fury or a full barrage of ninjutsu or a single Blizzard will destroy it.

It only appears right as the breath is coming out (or literally like half a second before), though.

My (apparently wrong) interpretation of the Assess text was "if you zap its tongue you can stop the breath and pressure it." But it seems like the breath just signals the appearance of the tongue, since there's basically no window to hit it before the breath goes out.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 14, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ytlaya posted:

I will just mutter to myself "not canon, not canon, not canon" during my inevitable Aerith date scene

Don't miss out on the Tifa date if that's what you want!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

It’s very funny to make a character have several thousand MP but there’s absolutely no reason to have that much MP ever and you won’t live long enough to even put a dent in it.

Put it on someone in the back row and use them as a healbot out of battle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I guess you could do something demented like Aerith level 2 then swap mp and cast cometeor over and over lol.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Mostly for fun, I guess. Only use I could see is on Hard Mode since MP doesn't replenish you could drop it on someone who isn't gonna do anything and get an assload of cures but that still seems iffy since that'd mostly be helpful in dungeons and in those they mostly limit your party enough that there aren't really many moments with stragglers you could use for that.

Will probably eventually lead to a video of a perfect block god clowning on hard mode stuff with that and aerith tho

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense, though I was worried about it turning around. Also I want to say one of its breaths hits all around him. I remember I tried avoiding it for a while but kept getting hit, and could only reliably avoid it when I just stood 100ft away as Barrett (which is also a pretty effective solution - at least on Dynamic the Marlboro doesn't really do much to you from long range).

It only appears right as the breath is coming out (or literally like half a second before), though.

My (apparently wrong) interpretation of the Assess text was "if you zap its tongue you can stop the breath and pressure it." But it seems like the breath just signals the appearance of the tongue, since there's basically no window to hit it before the breath goes out.

The FFVII Re-games have this problem where every so often the text that explains important mechanics is either not so much plain wrong as misleading or omissive of very small but very important details (like the "three kinds of ability" thing in both games, or the Gigatrice tornados we were just talking about). In this case what they are trying to explain is that you can't stop Bad Breath from coming out but you can stop it from upgrading to the other versions that really ruin your day. I don't know how I feel about there being no melee options at all (unless you have a Ribbon I guess) - I agree that it really should have a short inhalation window in order to breathe the breath - but enough characters have ways to punch that mouth at range that I think it just about stays in my good books. Anyway they instead make it sound like you can stop Bad Breath from even starting, so players look to make that happen and semi-justifiably become annoyed because the game appears to be hitting them with bullshit.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
New question: As of hitting Hard Mode Chapter 8, the Chapter Select screen shows 19 Hard Mode manuscripts still to collect, however the Play Log says I'm missing 53. I didn't do the legendary combat sims yet but that doesn't account for nearly enough. I did every quest and world intel and cleaned out all the shops. In Remake I remember you had to redo side quests in Hard Mode but also it listed those manuscripts on Chapter Select and Rebirth has you carrying quest completion over even into Hard Mode. Was I actually supposed to reset the quests? If they're not tied to a Chapter can I just redo every quest in Chapter 13?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You can stop.bad breath if you time it right since the attack is canceled the second the malboro is pressured. You pretty much have to throw a blizzara at the right second after seeing the ability name.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the devs really delivered with the beach outfits. god bless them

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mistermojo posted:

the devs really delivered with the beach outfits. god bless them

It's a cop out that Barrett just wears his sailor outfit again.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

stev posted:

:wrong:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Augus posted:

There’s one in the Crow’s Nest east of Junon and one in Barrett’s hometown. If you’re at three songs so far then you’re good. There’s one song per map region except for the grasslands for some reason

I just found the one in corel, must have run past it, it's very funny that there is a bar fight going on in the background the whole time

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

stev posted:

:yeah:
Give us sexy Barrett outfits.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He already has those smoldering eyes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

stev posted:

Its a good outfit but he should have had a second like the rest of the main quartet.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

I haven't actually gotten to it yet but throw it on someone then have Barret pop Lifesaver to tank any damage that'd kill them and have unlimited MP for Curagaing him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm mad that Barret doesn't get (later chapter/GS spoiler) Evil Demon King outfit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Odin fight is great. Went in with what felt like something of a suboptimal team (no 'focused' attacks or way to boost the stagger multiplier) and it took like an hour of attempts but I got him down! Was a real joy to play.

Credit to whoever posted here that Red should always have chilling roar active because of how much it boosts Vengeance. He was basically in devil trigger for 80% of the fight and was far and away the mvp. The full power summon fights are like the best stuff in this entire game imo.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Did you actually beat him without him using Zantetsuken? I had to cheese it by equipping everyone with revival earrings

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So uh (queens blood quest spoilers) is the queen jenova? I just beat the shirtless guru dude in corel and got a weird controlesque flashback that heavily implied the games creator is one of the sephiroth clones very cool addition and I'm looking forward to doing more of this quest (I was already looking forward to more queens blood but I didn't expect actual plot beats from it)

Also when does fast travel to previous zones open up? I got all the Intel from the previous zones but I didn't bother with the caches I couldnt immediately find the chests for and I apparently missed a cool item under the dock near costa del Sol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You have to take conventional travel to go back to old areas. You can take a ferry back to Junon from Costa Del Sol, and then the chocobo guy to get back to the grasslands if you did his quest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

Did you actually beat him without him using Zantetsuken? I had to cheese it by equipping everyone with revival earrings

Yeah, I beat him before he used it. He was doing that one ability before he starts the Zantestsuken charge when I got him down, but luckily Red had his limit so I burned him down pretty quick.

Honestly with all my attempts I probably only got Zantetsukened a couple of times. I got got by his regular attacks way more often, though a lot of that was not having anyone with Raise so any death was a retry.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So uh (queens blood quest spoilers) is the queen jenova? I just beat the shirtless guru dude in corel and got a weird controlesque flashback that heavily implied the games creator is one of the sephiroth clones very cool addition and I'm looking forward to doing more of this quest (I was already looking forward to more queens blood but I didn't expect actual plot beats from it)

Also when does fast travel to previous zones open up? I got all the Intel from the previous zones but I didn't bother with the caches I couldnt immediately find the chests for and I apparently missed a cool item under the dock near costa del Sol

do you actually want the answer to that spoiler

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
crawling away from the Gilgamesh battle on my one functioning limb

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

do you actually want the answer to that spoiler

I'll take a yes or no tbh but if it's more complicated or weird than I'm very happy to find out for myself through card games

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'll take a yes or no tbh but if it's more complicated or weird than I'm very happy to find out for myself through card games

alright

no, it's completely unrelated

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I cleared all of Gears and Gambits including Hard Mode by setting the game difficulty to easy, following an online guide and setting everything to auto-gambit for Normal Mode and I don't regret it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I set the game to easy mode for the first time after getting annoyed at how the game presented reset options after death during the fight where you get the dune buggy and having to do the entire first boss fight again. I think I was supposed to select restart from last checkpoint but that's typically kicked me back to last autosave and this time just dipped the entire chase sequence. I'm back on dynamic now I just didn't enjoy the chase enough to do it again given it was really finnicky to avoid grenade fire and shoot at the same time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

crawling away from the Gilgamesh battle on my one functioning limb

Golbez would be proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Something weird happened so I gotta ask, (beginning of chapter 13 spoilers) went to the northern village but decided to do the pirate treasures first since I got the warning that I couldn't go back if I disembarked and that sounded pretty final. Anyway, after clearing at least two of the four monster parties the game sort of froze like it was looking to go into a cutscene but after a few seconds it just let me move around like normal. Was Cait Sith supposed to chime in or something and the game's not dealing well with him not being there (tbf neither am I lol)?