Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

For those of you with a Pixel 8, how happy are you?

My Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 has developed a bit of damage on the screen like it's had pressure on it. Camera has been damaged for about a year. It feels like it's time to replace it. The main feature I'd miss is the IR as its fun being able to turn off TVs or operate projectors at school when the remote isn't working.

It's the best phone I've ever used. Great battery life. Great microphone with clear calling. Great screen(the display looks painted directly into the surface of the glass). Great camera. The face ID and fingerprint works great together. I don't use the phone for games so I don't know if the processor is weak or not. The only thing that could be better is if they brought back the 3.5mm jack. :argh: apple :argh:

This is the 7th phone(s23 ultra, fold 4, flip 4, pixel 7, s21, pixel 6) I went thru in the last 3 years and the only one that didn't have me wistfully looking at other phones in the first month. I'm really glad Google committed to 7? years of update because I plan on just replacing the battery and keeping this phone for the full 7 years. The battery life is so great that I doubt I would even need to replace the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sad Panda posted:

For those of you with a Pixel 8, how happy are you?

My Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 has developed a bit of damage on the screen like it's had pressure on it. Camera has been damaged for about a year. It feels like it's time to replace it. The main feature I'd miss is the IR as its fun being able to turn off TVs or operate projectors at school when the remote isn't working.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-10,Google-Pixel-8/phones/11638,12143

A comparison reveals there's little comparison, with the Pixel 8 excelling in most areas except charging speed.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Thanks for the feedback. I've gone and ordered a Pixel 8 256GB. I'm using 105 of my 128GB on this one so figured it was worth the extra space - especially if the goal is to keep this for a few years which is an option given the support until 2030 thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone and ordered a Pixel 8 256GB. I'm using 105 of my 128GB on this one so figured it was worth the extra space - especially if the goal is to keep this for a few years which is an option given the support until 2030 thing.

Excellent choice. I never used your current phone but the Pixel 8 is the apotheosis of phones of its size, I think.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the only phone I ever had swell a battery was a samsung

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

First concert with the OnePlus 12 ... really happy with the camera. These are "direct" from the camera, but I haven't figured out colourspaces/HDR stuff so things might be a bit funky. But happy it was able to get some sharp shots in lovely lighting.

(Dandy Warhols)

6x zoom:

Bonus annoying cat, this one I tweaked exposure a bit,

Wish I'd taken the concert photos in RAW. Will try that next time.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have an xperia 5 V and a usb c sdcard reader. I took the sd card out of my SONY camera, put it in the reader, and plugged it into the phone and it just offers to format it. What the heck.

It is a 128 GB card and afaict it is almost certainly formatted with exfat (done by the SONY camera) so why can't this dumb thing read it?

I am having no luck googlin' about this as xperia phones still have micro sd card slots so all the results relate to that. But some of them mention the phone will use exfat to format any micro sd card which makes it all the more weird to me that it seems to not be able to read the card from the camera as it seems the phone certainly has exfat support.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Got my Pixel 8. Initially seems good but definitely noticeably smaller than my 6.7" phone. I'm sure I'll adjust. The double tap on the back gesture also seems to be a bit intermittent.

I've been using Nova forever and I like the ability to group apps in my app drawer. It means all my banking apps can be in one place for example. Am I right that this doesn't seem possible using the standard Pixel Launcher? If not, what other launchers do people like that have that feature?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

Got my Pixel 8. Initially seems good but definitely noticeably smaller than my 6.7" phone. I'm sure I'll adjust. The double tap on the back gesture also seems to be a bit intermittent.

I've been using Nova forever and I like the ability to group apps in my app drawer. It means all my banking apps can be in one place for example. Am I right that this doesn't seem possible using the standard Pixel Launcher? If not, what other launchers do people like that have that feature?

Rest in peace, Nova Launcher. It was my default launcher forever until it got sold or butchered or whatever 2-3 years ago.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nova still works decently enough for me and whoever is using it to harvest my data is welcome to get into a tug of war with Google and the NSA and whichever foreign governments I guess

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I'm still using Nova launcher. Nothing else checks all the boxes.

Circular home screens so I can just keep swiping one direction.

Groups in apps drawer.

Ability to easily replace app icons (Twitter is now a dead bird icon for me)

Ability to choose icon shapes (I like hexagons).

Configurable shortcuts. (Swipe up to get to search so I don't need the stupid Google search widget. Swipe up on phone icon to open contacts. Double finger swipe up for Nova settings, etc).

Configurable number of dock pages.

Resizable widgets.

Probably more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use Hyperion, but it seems to have a bug where sometimes the home screen doesn't interact until I do a swipe.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Uthor posted:

I use Hyperion, but it seems to have a bug where sometimes the home screen doesn't interact until I do a swipe.
I tried to switch to Hyperion from Nova and had this issue... But after giving it up, I still seemed to have it on Nova with both a OnePlus 9 and 12. It just seemed more pronounced on Hyperion.

And that said, while Hyperion was okay, Nova still feels a lot better overall.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Niagara launcher or bust. Folders on main screen, automatic showing of music apps when connecting Bluetooth, smart most used apps at the bottom of the list, and scroll the side of you need to go directly to a less used app.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With a pixel 5a how concerned should I be that it's entering end of life for security updates in august? My parents are on my Fi plan and when I mentioned they might want to get new phones they were not enthused. They currently both have 5a's but didn't want to pay 300 for a 7a or 450 for an 8 on Fi and I don't think they'd be very happy with a Moto G.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

withoutclass posted:

Niagara launcher or bust. Folders on main screen, automatic showing of music apps when connecting Bluetooth, smart most used apps at the bottom of the list, and scroll the side of you need to go directly to a less used app.
it's interesting how people use their phones differently. i wouldn't use any of those features. all i want that the pixel launcher doesn't have is to be able to hide apps. i have 32 apps in my drawer and if i could hide 4 of them the rest could all fit on one screen. my 4 most-used apps are on my 2×2 home screen which never changes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've had the exact same home screen layout give or take an app or two for like the past 10 years.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

it's interesting how people use their phones differently. i wouldn't use any of those features. all i want that the pixel launcher doesn't have is to be able to hide apps. i have 32 apps in my drawer and if i could hide 4 of them the rest could all fit on one screen. my 4 most-used apps are on my 2×2 home screen which never changes

The fact we can choose things like this, because we use our phones differently, is a big reason why I've never used an iPhone.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

US Google Fi customer, Pixel 8 Pro. Still no March update for me

DeusIgnis fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 14, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

DeusIgnis posted:

Hmmm
Same.

Question for the thread: I need two phone numbers (work/personal), but don't necessarily want to carry two phones.

My Pixel 8 pro has two SIM cards, which should allow me to have two numbers.

Will that allow me to separate texts/calls from the different numbers in any way? I'm tired of having all my work texts intermingled with my personal texts but don't necessarily want to carry a second phone to fix the problem.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Hmmm
Same.

Question for the thread: I need two phone numbers (work/personal), but don't necessarily want to carry two phones.

My Pixel 8 pro has two SIM cards, which should allow me to have two numbers.

Will that allow me to separate texts/calls from the different numbers in any way? I'm tired of having all my work texts intermingled with my personal texts but don't necessarily want to carry a second phone to fix the problem.

I'm only using my physical SIM, but I get calls and texts to my Google Voice number in the Voice app, and my mobile number uses the Phone and Messages apps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DeusIgnis posted:

Ah, it's nice having a new phone and being annoyed about slow updates. I've gotten used to having an old phone and never getting updates.

Been noticing the weather on my lock screen being super wrong. Like, telling me it's going to be 20F warmer than it's going to be. I assumed it just hadn't updated this morning, but I clicked on it, it opened the weather app (where it's correct), started showing the correct weather forecast, then went back predicting it's going to be 20F warmer an hour later.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Uthor posted:

Ah, it's nice having a new phone and being annoyed about slow updates. I've gotten used to having an old phone and never getting updates.

Been noticing the weather on my lock screen being super wrong. Like, telling me it's going to be 20F warmer than it's going to be. I assumed it just hadn't updated this morning, but I clicked on it, it opened the weather app (where it's correct), started showing the correct weather forecast, then went back predicting it's going to be 20F warmer an hour later.

Yeah my location for the Pixel launcher weather has been very, very off for a while now. I think it might be related to the Fi VPN. Nothing else is affected since everything else is getting the location via GPS I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just checked, and I'm finally getting the March update on my Pixel 6 on Verizon Prepaid. Downloading and installing now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i installed the march update and now the app drawer is more spaced out and only shows 6 rows of apps instead of 7. this is bullshit

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I just use the search to find apps. Screw looking around in that mess, especially when the app's icon is just a letter which is different from the first letter of its name in the list. I'm looking for a giant F, why isnt it here among all the apps starting with f????? Oh right it's under L cause the friggin app is called "lite".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

if they changed the size back to how it was and removed the search bar then all 32 icons would all fit on one screen and i wouldn't need to post about it

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Thats awful

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

butt dickus posted:

i installed the march update and now the app drawer is more spaced out and only shows 6 rows of apps instead of 7. this is bullshit

If mine changed I didn't notice it. I just scroll through alphabetically and it feels the same to me. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So it's been about a year since the Qi2 standard was announced, have there been any Android phones released using it? Mostly curious as to whether anyone is making use of the MagSafe ring now that it's not Apple exclusive.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

isndl posted:

So it's been about a year since the Qi2 standard was announced, have there been any Android phones released using it? Mostly curious as to whether anyone is making use of the MagSafe ring now that it's not Apple exclusive.

No phones are using it, but case manufacturers have been for a couple years now; you can probably get a case with a MagSafe ring for any Samsung or Pixel phone from 2021 or later, though quality will likely be dodgier for phones from the earlier end of that span.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I got a couple super cheap magsafe-type cases for my pixel (they were less than 15 dollars each on Amazon) which I use with my Anker Orb and they work very well. The attractive force is surprisingly strong. Holds onto my Pixel 8 Pro with ease. There's a technique to taking the phone off of it because you can lift the entire charging stand up unless you get a finger behind the phone and do a sort of tilt-lift motion.

Edit: Also, don't buy that Anker Orb thing if you're sensitive to coil whine. Under certain conditions it is very audible to me. I think other people on Amazon mentioned the noise in their reviews and I just thought they might be overstating it, but it is certainly annoying and oddly enough it seems to occur when I don't have my phone attached to it, but do have certain USB devices plugged into the back. So now I usually just leave my phone on it most of the time when I'm in my bedroom and it isn't audible.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 15, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A small nuisance about the OP12 (and same with the 9 before it) is that it won't reverse wireless charge other devices while it's charging itself. My S10 was able to do that. Iirc the S10 could charge my S3 Frontier too, but I wouldn't swear to that.

No luck charging my S5 Pro after forgetting a charger this trip... but I think the battery will last anyway.

Also not 100% sure what's going on yet but saw a Redditor suggest the same: OP12 battery is awesome in "normal use" but... The camera seems to drain it faster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Galaxy watches only charge off of Galaxy phones. They are only sorta Qi. Even some Samsung branded wireless chargers can't charge them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Galaxy watches only charge off of Galaxy phones. They are only sorta Qi. Even some Samsung branded wireless chargers can't charge them.

Samsung'd!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I've been trying to get more opinions on the Nothing Phone 2 in here but nobody has taken the bait yet. Anyone have one? Good? Bad?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

fawning deference posted:

I've been trying to get more opinions on the Nothing Phone 2 in here but nobody has taken the bait yet. Anyone have one? Good? Bad?

I think it's a very pretty piece of kit but it's still a bit of an unknown quantity here in the US. I know it's missing some bands for our market (namely Verizon ones), that combined with not really having much of a track record in terms of hardware/software support and it'll probably remain a bit of a unicorn here. I hope they stick around though, and continue to refine their industrial design as I do think it is very cool. If they ever partnered with a North American carrier I could see them having an opportunity to standout in the Android space.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
lol this sony phone just popped up a notification that it has been 28 days since last boot so I should reset it to "help maintain memory and performance." That's pretty embarrassing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Faint hope ... anyone have a screen-protector recommendation for a OnePlus 12? Reviews on Amazon (Canada) are 3 stars at best and the positive reviews feel phony. I bought one and it was a total mess to apply. Doesn't seem to be solid advice on reddit either.

The one it came with was fine ... but I managed to drop my phone in an awkward way and it hit a corner that impacted and wrecked the pack-in protector. Unfortunately I removed that one to install a new one and ... it was a total shitshow. Done piles of these before and got this one wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is the current recommendation for app isolation?
Googling gives me only 5 year old articles recommending shelter. Is that still good?