Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Breetai posted:

To my recollection, Jim Sterling mentioned it during his spin-off doctors podcast about the wing commander movie, and basically said that with everything that had happened, he would need to hire an intern full-time for like a month in order to really do the story justice. This was in February 2017.

That’s the big barrier to anyone diving in and giving an informed opinion on Star Citizen. You have sift through 12 years of a never ending stream of bullshit from CIG and the insane cult that props it up.

It’s doable for a long form documentary maker like Folding Ideas, but the ROI just isn’t there for a niche within niche subject that has faded from the mainstream gaming consciousness. So weekly video makers who just dip their toes in like Linus Tech Tips always wind up giving some wishy washy review along the lines of “it’s buggy and awkward,but has potential!”.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The first game was farting and laughing to yourself self satisfiedly, and thus, star citizen is the longest pre alpha at roughly 6,000,000 years of development

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You are all gonna laugh when we start referring to time as BSC and then SC because it will usher in a new epoch.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

dialhforhero posted:

You are all gonna laugh when we start referring to time as BSC and then SC because it will usher in a new epoch.

In a few hundred years a council of commandos will get together to determine the exact date when the era of SC began and there will schisms about this question

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

chadbear posted:

In a few hundred years a council of commandos will get together to determine the exact date when the era of SC began and there will schisms about this question

There will be a civil war amongst believers over precisely which Piss Cat posts were divinely inspired by Our Lord Crobberts, and which ones were influenced by the forces of evil (the so called “Derek Smart Verses”).

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

That’s the big barrier to anyone diving in and giving an informed opinion on Star Citizen. You have sift through 12 years of a never ending stream of bullshit from CIG and the insane cult that props it up.

It’s doable for a long form documentary maker like Folding Ideas, but the ROI just isn’t there for a niche within niche subject that has faded from the mainstream gaming consciousness. So weekly video makers who just dip their toes in like Linus Tech Tips always wind up giving some wishy washy review along the lines of “it’s buggy and awkward,but has potential!”.

I'm more interested in the eventual post-mortems anyway (after CIG closes its doors/releases an actual product, whichever comes first); if folks want to hold off on doing the heavy research and analysis until then, that's fine, it'll make for more interesting reading/viewing. And if it turns out that there's no money left to enforce NDAs by then and we get a flood of insiders coming out to tell all, so much the better.

What I'm not looking forward to is five to ten years after CIG is defunct, when we're going to be inundated with listicles claiming that Star Citizen is one of the all-time greatest games that was killed off unjustly, taking all of the random idiotic things the shitizens believed as gospel truth.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Chris has written a new Letter from the Chairman, finally something's happened.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19848-Letter-From-The-Chairman

quote:

While we recognize that there is no definitive finish line in an online MMO, and that we will always be adding new features and content for many, many years to come, Star Citizen 1.0 is what we consider the features and content set to represent “commercial” release. This means that the game is welcoming to new players, stable, and polished with enough gameplay and content to engage players continuously. In other words, it is no longer Alpha or Early Access.

There it is, officially wiping the "100 star systems at release" from memory. Also great description of what release is "In other words, it is no longer Alpha or Early Access", thanks for clearing that up for us CIG.

Popete fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 15, 2024

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

quote:

On Squadron 42 that is taking the game from Feature Complete to Content Complete, ensuring the game has the necessary polish and feels worthy of being the spiritual successor to Wing Commander. To this end the team is hard at work, heads down, driving towards the finish line. I am incredibly excited about how the game is shaping up and we will have more to share with you at this year’s CitizenCon, which will be held in Manchester, England.

So, they will share some Squadron 42 in October. I'm not so sure it's ready for an imminent surprise release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19848-Letter-From-The-Chairman

There it is, officially wiping the "100 star systems at release" from memory. Also great description of what release is "In other words, it is no longer Alpha or Early Access", thanks for clearing that up for us CIG.

So when are we going to actually get 1.0? This is what everyone actually wants, but it feels like that is never going to happen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I said come in! posted:

So when are we going to actually get 1.0? This is what everyone actually wants, but it feels like that is never going to happen.

I think you're catching on to their business model

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Worf posted:

I think you're catching on to their business model

I mean if it actually reaches 1.0 and comes to Steam, i've always said I'll buy the stupid game, but I feel pretty much 100% confident its never going to happen.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even if something they call 1.0 comes out, I don't see any reason to think they would release it on steam necessarily. Having their own store is pretty integral to all their bullshit

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I'm pretty sure it's still early days.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Popete posted:

quote:

As Game Director on Squadron 42, Rich played a crucial role in helping steer Squadron 42 to its current Feature Complete status. Under his stewardship, Squadron 42 experienced a significant surge of progress, a momentum we fully anticipate will continue to carry us towards Content Complete, Beta, and release.
content pipes are finally unclogged. But seriously i wonder how director change suddenly brought in progress unless stuff is getting cut out.

quote:

As part of this, we made the difficult decision to ask the Los Angeles development team, which had increasingly been providing support for the main development teams based in Manchester, to relocate to join other teams, primarily in Manchester, but also in Austin and Montreal. Los Angeles, while shrinking, will still be an important office for the company, but one focusing on a business support role with Marketing, Finance, Legal and HR. As part of this reorganization, we sadly waved goodbye to the Persistent Universe Live Director, Todd Papy

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I mean if it actually reaches 1.0 and comes to Steam, i've always said I'll buy the stupid game, but I feel pretty much 100% confident its never going to happen.

Just so you know, if that ever happens (which it won't), you don't have to do that (and you shouldn't).

Life's too short and too precious to be giving money to Chris Roberts. Besides, if it ever released, Star Citizen would either move directly into free-to-play within a year, or be heavily discounted in some bundle with a bunch of other bad games after a year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG seems to be laying the groundwork to actually announce a release window for SQ42 this CitCon. I know we've been down this road before but I think it'll actually happen this time around.

That said they also seem to be laying the groundwork for a SC 1.0 release in the vague future but it's also not going to have the 100 star systems or anywhere near what they've promised over the years.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I mean, all they have to do is update it one more time and instead of saying alpha 3.23 they say 1.0.

Boom. Avoid a lawsuit. Genius brains.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

I mean, all they have to do is update it one more time and instead of saying alpha 3.23 they say 1.0.

Boom. Avoid a lawsuit. Genius brains.

I can see this happening, a lot of early access games on steam do this.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Chris Roberts and Tony Z are the Wyld Stallyns

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So uh...

Is this released yet?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

dont worry, they've got a roadmap

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I said come in! posted:

The letter is hilarious because they basically just come and out and say that they’re in the early stages of beginning to think about designing a game, setting a clear goal, and producing a roadmap towards a final product in year 12.

quote:

This begins with identifying what features and content are required to create a fully realised space MMO while laying the foundations for future
updates. To be 100% clear though, this doesn’t mean going back to the drawing board or totally changing the vision of what SC currently is. With
this aim, Chris and I have overseen the creation of a roadmap that takes us all the way up to 1.0 and outlines all the features and content we need,
and just as crucially, the ones that will come post full release.

quote:

Working in tandem, Rich and I will continue to establish the strategic vision to bring to life the intended Star Citizen gameplay experience. As Rich said, over the past few months, our teams have been busily planning the upcoming major milestones for the Persistent Universe, culminating in what we refer to as "Star Citizen 1.0." As that roadmap comes together and becomes validated, we look forward to sharing with you both its vision and executional plan later this year.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 15, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The development of star citizen actually truly started last week, when someone named MrTrash successfully passed through the space colon

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

dialhforhero posted:

Early days are a very delicate time. Know then, that it is the year 4242. The known universe is ruled by the Citizen Emperor Croberts the Fourth, my father. In this time, the most precious possession in the universe are starship JPEGs. The JPEGs extend fundraising. The JPEGs are an investment. The JPEGs are vital to space travel. CIG and their developers, who the JPEGs have uplifted for over 4000 years, use server meshing which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the universe without loading screens. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you - the JPEGs exist in only one game in the entire universe, a feature complete early alpha game with vast star systems. Hidden away within the stations of these systems are a people known as the Backers, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom.

The game is Star Citizen, also known as :gary:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elite dangerous is still the exact game that Star Citizen promised.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

posted:

On Squadron 42 that is taking the game from Feature Complete to Content Complete

Is the distinction between 'Feature Complete' and 'Content Complete' common in the wider games industry, or is this another development innovation peculiar to CIG?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Popete posted:

CIG seems to be laying the groundwork to actually announce a release window for SQ42 this CitCon. I know we've been down this road before but I think it'll actually happen this time around.

That said they also seem to be laying the groundwork for a SC 1.0 release in the vague future but it's also not going to have the 100 star systems or anywhere near what they've promised over the years.

If they were ever going to release a game that's been stuck in development hell for a decade to middling reviews, this would definitely be the time!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Elite dangerous is still the exact game that Star Citizen promised.

Whoa whoa whoa...pump the brakes, kid.

I can't walk around in my starship and do nothing within it in Elite like I can in Star Citizen.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
lol holy poo poo this screencap to the video needs to be an emote.

https://imgur.com/a/OS7hWRd.jpeg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19847-Inside-Star-Citizen

e: Wait how do you inline the images now?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Whoa whoa whoa...pump the brakes, kid.

I can't walk around in my starship and do nothing within it in Elite like I can in Star Citizen.

Those things aren’t possible in Star citizen either, when you try you just clip through your ship and die lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/le55bDI.mp4

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Is the distinction between 'Feature Complete' and 'Content Complete' common in the wider games industry, or is this another development innovation peculiar to CIG?

'Feature Complete' is the list of things Mr Robert Space wants in the perfect game he describes with gesticulatory apoplexy in four hour stand ups (wherein he is the only one seated).

'Content Complete' includes transcribed recordings, with all references to vitamins removed, of his nightly fitful murmurings. Taken down by four interns seated behind bullet proof glass so as to not interrupt his 'flow'.

This is game development in a nut shell. Layering in the code is really an after thought.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pisscat is gonna edit bobs into this

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete posted:

:gary:

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Feature complete generally means all the final systems etc are in place. Content complete means that everything is done and ready for polish/testing.

For an example:
A system that supports side quests - feature

All the side quests themselves - content

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

The letter is hilarious because they basically just come and out and say that they’re in the early stages of beginning to think about designing a game, setting a clear goal, and producing a roadmap towards a final product in year 12.

I am also getting the vibe from the letter that Crobbers is eyeing the exits; new guy Rich gets co-credit for Star Citizen's exciting march towards 1.0, groundwork is laid for 1.0 being far less than was promised, the recent layoffs were PERFECTLY NORMAL BUSINESS because obviously you don't need so many people now, etc., etc.. Like if 1.0 comes out, he's going to take a long vacation and just never come back to the office, quietly editing the corporate paperwork to make it clear he was only a creative director and now his work is done and the project has been handed off as planned, vaya con dios, chumps.

I mean, that's probably wishful thinking on my part, but god, I would laugh if it happened.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azubah posted:

So he did fake that? I heard about it but didn't know if there was a follow up on that.

Nobody who knew him IRL was worried, his cowriter said there was nothing to worry about. And he had put "I did something stupid" (aka self-harm) stuff in his other not-apologies, so it was really hard to believe he'd actually done anything vs he does this so people would quit being mean about his thievery. He also kept uploading monetized videos. In his note, he tried to act like it was automatic uploads after death, but then he was deleting comments on them still.

So it's just a black hole of scum as far as he's concerned.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
Tank god Rich is the New Jesus. Not like this Tod Papy guy, or erin or the crytek wizard. Finally it is done.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It would be pretty hilarious if they finally release some 1.0 mess and declare their work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

So, they will share some Squadron 42 in October. I'm not so sure it's ready for an imminent surprise release.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 15, 2024