Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity posted:

It's amazing how long reloading feels when you're running from poo poo compared to reloading post fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm enjoying meleeing bugs after they've lost their heads and are rushing in for a final attack, feels very disrespectful

https://i.imgur.com/v9Y8wMi.mp4

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Section Z posted:

Shame they only get 1 ammo even from resupply pods. I keep telling myself I must have imagined that because it can't be that terrible.

This is biggest strike against it imo, then the low ammo capacity per box. The stationary reload should be the drawback.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jerkface posted:

2 or 3 STALKERS per heat bar? the invisibo giant bugs? I mean I had them funneling right to me and was hitting them dead center on their head and they werent dying. It felt very weak when killing them with the breaker was fine.

LazyMaybe posted:

Yes, you should be able to kill multiple stalkers without overheating w/sickle. It takes a pretty significant amount of time to overheat really.

Ciaphas posted:

i feel like that's gotta depend on what planet you're on because the Sickle felt good but not that good damage-wise

that or my aim is shittier than i realize lol
got bad news for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZ8MBC9SpQ

This shouldn't change on cold planets because they lower your rate of fire, but also lower the rate you overheat(likely by a proportional amount).

Griz posted:

MG recoil is easily manageable, just fire bursts and crouch when possible, or use the recoil armor. I main autocannon so I'm used to the slow stationary reload.
You can also just compensate for the recoil with mouse movement while holding down the trigger. Easier in first person, imo, since you're directly viewing the sight picture as it currently is.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I had the same experience with the sickle being completely worthless against stalkers unless you start shooting them from 50+ meters out. Which is fine, the weapon actually seems perfectly balanced imo. It will melt trash and do decent damage against anything below medium armor, but no stagger and not being a great "Oh poo poo" button for things like stalkers gives it a distinct downside.

With that in mind, I've been trying a new loadout to focus on it that I quite like. I was bringing EATs, a backpack (usually rover), and another support weapon (arc thrower or grenade launcher) which is great... as long as you have time to call everything in. Or retrieve it all when you inevitably die, which when things go south is hard to do.

I tried to make a good "out of the pod" build and the new sickle is a great centerpiece for that. It's not ammo hungry, functions well without needing high CD gear, and can handle most situations pretty well on its own.

Weapons:
Sickle AR, Machine pistol, impact grenade.

Armor:
Light Scout Armor (solo), Light +Grenade/Recoil reduction when crouched (group)

Stratagems:
1. EATs
2. Eagle Cluster
3. Backpack (optional, but laser guard dog works well here)
4. Open choice (Eagle Airstrike always good, I'll probably use EMS mortar a lot though)

Eagle Cluster and EATs are my two mainstays with this, they compliment each other nicely. I love Eagle Cluster since it's fun (lots of explosions!), has 4-5 quick uses, and can kill stupid amounts of bugs when you start to get overwhelmed. EATs will handle anything that clusters don't, and while they're single use the CD is so short there's always 1-3 available when you need them. You don't need to worry about collecting your support weapons after you die, you come out of the pod extremely effective and can just call a new EATs down in short order. There's nothing absolutely critical for the build to function that's on a long CD so you don't have to try to go back for your gear after respawning.

The last two stratagems are whatever you want. EMS mortar is great and really helps line things up to mow down with the sickle, cluster bomb, or pick off with EATs so I'm thinking I'll settle on that. The rover/backpack works really well with the sickle and is very thematic but by no means critical, you can swap it out if you want something like Airstrike, Orbital Gas/laser/EMS etc.

Circling back, the weakest part of this is dealing with things like bile spitters and stalkers. You really need your grenades to help cover that gap for "Oh poo poo" moments where you can't use cluster bombs. And if you can't hog resupply on demand like when you're soloing that's when the +grenade armor comes into play. One impact grenade plus some shots to the soft belly will take down spitters quickly, and if a stalker is danger close you'll need to catch them with some of the grenade and/or switch to the machine pistol and magdump. You really have to use all of your kit, but in exchange you can handle almost anything and you're very adaptable to whatever situation or mission pops up!

I love this game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

I'm enjoying meleeing bugs after they've lost their heads and are rushing in for a final attack, feels very disrespectful

https://i.imgur.com/v9Y8wMi.mp4

oh is this a reliable stagger on them once their heads are off? I always instinctively dive away from their last hit and get hit anyway and get mad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LazyMaybe posted:

got bad news for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZ8MBC9SpQ

This shouldn't change on cold planets because they lower your rate of fire, but also lower the rate you overheat(likely by a proportional amount).
i've never felt so owned.... :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbf that is a clip where the stalkers are in their "trying to be stealthy" mode, if they were on the offensive and getting up in my face it would be harder because it doesn't stagger them. still possible to kill them fast like that though especially if you have shield to eat an attack or two and unload into their face.

definitely not as good vs stalkers as breaker or my favorite for them, punisher, but it gets the job done alright.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 15, 2024

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone who say the Plasma Punisher is bad, doesn't know what they're talking about. This thing is amazing, it annihilates absolute everything save Bile Titan and Hulks, just takes a little skill to learn how to use. I've been mortaring bad dudes from a distance while sitting behind cover, completely untouchable.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LazyMaybe posted:

tbf that is a clip where the stalkers are in their "trying to be stealthy" mode, if they were on the offensive and getting up in my face it would be harder because it doesn't stagger them. still possible to kill them fast like that though especially if you have shield to eat an attack or two and unload into their face.

definitely not as good as breaker or my favorite vs stalkers, punisher, but it gets the job done alright.

The biggest thing for me was they kept jumping away so I had a conga line of 5 stalkers after me and I couldn't kill them all because they'd jump and another would take its place :argh:
Though I could have also just been hitting their arms or whatever I was shooting in 3rd person

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hakarne posted:

With that in mind, I've been trying a new loadout to focus on it that I quite like. I was bringing EATs, a backpack (usually rover), and another support weapon (arc thrower or grenade launcher) which is great... as long as you have time to call everything in. Or retrieve it all when you inevitably die, which when things go south is hard to do.

My quick thoughts are the sickle will pair amazingly with the AC for botting or bug light/medium clearing, or with a flamethrower + jetpack for bug horde/charger duty.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

LazyMaybe posted:

definitely not as good vs stalkers as breaker or my favorite for them, punisher, but it gets the job done alright.

Yeah it's one thing when they're far away and you have time to line it up, but my experience when they're closer it's much much harder to drop them in a reasonable time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, what discord should I be on to group up with goons? It’s been a week or so since I did any heck delving and I’m feelin’ antsy

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I just encountered a brand new bug, not the democracy hating alien type.

Was playing with some pubbies who I thought were really bad because they kept dying very rapidly in a large bug nest but it turns out that one of the holes had some sort of invisible kill box around it, people would run up to toss a grenade in and simply getting with 10 or 15 meters of the thing would cause people to instantly drop down dead with a death message that either said they killed themselves or that they were killed by unknown.

Which was all the more hilarious after we ran low on reinforcements, they insisted on fighting off a couple of bug breaches on the way to extraction, and then we found a second invisible kill box around the extraction terminal.

I don't know if this game is going to be more or less hilarious when Arrowhead finally gets around to patching all the odd glitches but I'm loving it either way.

Also, saw someone say this several pages ago, but my system is definitely running hotter after this most recent patch. Even frame limited it down to 60 and it's still hotter than the previous patch.

Is instability inherently democratic? My democracy officer doesn't look happy when I ask this question.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Ravenfood posted:

Wait free how? I just unlocked them recently and tried to make them work against Chargers. They didn't do so well.

They tear a side of a charger completely, they are very effective

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Hakarne posted:

Yeah it's one thing when they're far away and you have time to line it up, but my experience when they're closer it's much much harder to drop them in a reasonable time.
Yeah. Again, not saying it's ideal for stalkers-the question being answered was just "does this do enough damage to kill multiple before an overheat".

Horsebanger posted:

They tear a side of a charger completely, they are very effective
Which specific plates they tear is not consistent, however. Get lucky and it'll tear a leg, get unlucky and it'll break body plates that somehow do not let you damage the flesh underneath with bullets.
All considered I'd rather kite them into 500kgs-with the normal drop time, you can throw it near(not past) them right after they miss a charge and they get caught in the blast, either completely or nearly killing them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i threw Arrowhead some cash, those boys deserve it. new warbond has some cool poo poo in it. i like the arc-proof gear lol

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

FunkyFjord posted:

I just encountered a brand new bug, not the democracy hating alien type.

Was playing with some pubbies who I thought were really bad because they kept dying very rapidly in a large bug nest but it turns out that one of the holes had some sort of invisible kill box around it, people would run up to toss a grenade in and simply getting with 10 or 15 meters of the thing would cause people to instantly drop down dead with a death message that either said they killed themselves or that they were killed by unknown.

Which was all the more hilarious after we ran low on reinforcements, they insisted on fighting off a couple of bug breaches on the way to extraction, and then we found a second invisible kill box around the extraction terminal.

I don't know if this game is going to be more or less hilarious when Arrowhead finally gets around to patching all the odd glitches but I'm loving it either way.

Also, saw someone say this several pages ago, but my system is definitely running hotter after this most recent patch. Even frame limited it down to 60 and it's still hotter than the previous patch.

Is instability inherently democratic? My democracy officer doesn't look happy when I ask this question.

Big dead bugs can cause some weird jankiness when it comes to moving around their bodies or where the game thinks their bodies are, you got to wait for them to despawn basically because they will send you flying or kill you for being "crushed" by the air.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the localized confusion booster seems to make the termicide defense mission a lot easier

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Big dead bugs can cause some weird jankiness when it comes to moving around their bodies or where the game thinks their bodies are, you got to wait for them to despawn basically because they will send you flying or kill you for being "crushed" by the air.

That was a hectic match, we eventually decided to just push on to another objective and come back and see if it despawned (it did).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

good to see that the devs added blue beams fired by unseen enemies the same day that they added a bunch of armor that provides arc resistance

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

good to see that the devs added blue beams fired by unseen enemies the same day that they added a bunch of armor that provides arc resistance

Saw a post about this. Did you encounter it?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dandywalken posted:

i am not cool enough to get the flying bugs or the sniper guys

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Play posted:

The laser pistol is actually kind of good. Definitely approaching the machine pistol if not better

Looking forward to that thing the most, I still need another hundred or so medals I think. I was trying out the plasma ball shotgun and it'd be really nice to have a dependable secondary with it, since it explodes in your face. The Redeemer is awesome as always but you run out of ammo immediately, and I tried out the Senator and omg that reload is so unbelievably long.

I'm also mildly disappointed there's new armors in the store, because the medium grenades armor I wanted would have been in the store tomorrow and now it's a med-light grenade and a heavy medkit armor (which I'm also buying). Doubly disappointed because I'd like to try the it over the light version in the termicide missions (and the one in the regular warbond is kinda uggo)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dandywalken posted:

Isn't that just a joke about Helldivers being careless with Arc weapons?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't that just a joke about Helldivers being careless with Arc weapons?

nope

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1betnlf/something_is_out_there/

i doubt that this means there's going to be a release anytime soon but it's neat

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also I kinda dig the new armors in the warbond but please can someone tell me if the green one is yet ANOTHER shade of green that doesn't match any of the other armor sets? I bought the first one but man that one's gonna be tough to match, too.

I don't get it, they've used the same golds and blacks and tans and oranges, they know people are gonna want to mix and match for maximum drip, but none of the reds or greens are ever on the same page. The cape on the final page of the Steeled Veterans warbond doesn't even match the armor it goes with.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

nope

i doubt that this means there's going to be a release anytime soon but it's neat

Like a comment there mentions, it's the charger walking through those spiky plants and deflecting the blast with his strong knees.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Darox posted:

Like a comment there mentions, it's the charger walking through those spiky plants and deflecting the blast with his strong knees.

lmao amazing

Griz
May 21, 2001

Phenotype posted:

The Redeemer is awesome as always but you run out of ammo immediately

if you put it on semi it seems to be exactly the same as the default pistol but with twice the ammo capacity

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Hateship ended with Chargers. Bile Spewers are my new worst enemy.

My ongoing feud with Beserkers and their abilitiy to shrug off impact grenades continues.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I started running it on semi. TBH they should make it full-auto only

Griz
May 21, 2001

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah I started running it on semi. TBH they should make it full-auto only

burst/auto would be perfect

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

Hateship ended with Chargers. Bile Spewers are my new worst enemy.

My ongoing feud with Beserkers and their abilitiy to shrug off impact grenades continues.

Spewers have always been the real final boss. It's super convenient that they are instant death if they vomit on you and that the TTK on most things to the head for them is just long enough that they can get the spew off.

I hate the things. Chargers I can deal with if I know they're there. Bile Titans are only really an issue in large numbers. But Spewers are an eternal hatred of mine.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Warmachine posted:

Spewers have always been the real final boss. It's super convenient that they are instant death if they vomit on you and that the TTK on most things to the head for them is just long enough that they can get the spew off.

I hate the things. Chargers I can deal with if I know they're there. Bile Titans are only really an issue in large numbers. But Spewers are an eternal hatred of mine.

nursery/bile spewers are why autocannon and grenade launcher are the true hero weapons

if i am walking around with an EAT on my back i will absolutely let fly at a pair of spewers no question

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 15, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's still wild to me that bile spewers only sometimes appear on bug missions and they make bug missions at least 2x more difficult when present.
Make bile spewers show up on every mission.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

nope

that just the charger walking into the explodey blue plants. ive blown up my mech on those before

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

I'm also mildly disappointed there's new armors in the store, because the medium grenades armor I wanted would have been in the store tomorrow and now it's a med-light grenade and a heavy medkit armor (which I'm also buying). Doubly disappointed because I'd like to try the it over the light version in the termicide missions (and the one in the regular warbond is kinda uggo)

I am glad you posted this, because I was convinced it would just be old suits for sale in the shop when the warbond came up. It also looks like the timer is longer than usual? It says 2 days and 6 hours for me right now, when I could have sworn suits changed every 2 days even.

gently caress yeah even more engineer suits (semi light armor) :neckbeard: .... And heavy medic if you like being stunlocked or crit chained too fast to use your extra stims I guess :geno:

But yeah, not having a straight up shop is going to feel increasingly miserable the longer the list is. Hopefully the old suits come back instead of it just rotating through a new set of suits only this month.

atelier morgan posted:

nursery/bile spewers are why autocannon and grenade launcher are the true hero weapons

if i am walking around with an EAT on my back i will absolutely let fly at a pair of spewers no question

:hai: (I am still garbage with the grenade launcher)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

For anybody that played the late game wars in Helldivers 1 that had Super Earth lose, did they make maps that are actual Super Earth city locations or was it always the standard kinda jungle/desert/arctic areas that we kinda have here in HD2? Kinda wondering if/when we will get to such a point this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I'll defend space burgertown any day