Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had made the joke that Count Fenring is Dune's Tom Bombadil.

Um-m-m-m-ah, Hm-m-m ah-dol, Hmm-bah-bu-bu-ring
Hum-m-m ah-dong! hum ah-h-long! No m-m-m-ore ding a-ling!
Count Ah-h-h-ccount, eunuch Count, Count Hasimir Fenring!

Trying to sound that out, maybe the Fenring hum code inspired the Sardaukar throat singing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

we're in the age of dune memes and it rules

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kalel posted:

with Dune memes, we have done all we can for them. A path has been laid. Let's hope they don't squander it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If there are Dune memes, let them be posted here for the benefit of those of us not on Twitter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Just look at the cover to Sandworms of Dune, and it will convey every last thing you need to know about those atrocious novels.

And no, I'm not posting a picture. :colbert:

:v:

My god

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

disposablewords posted:

Unfortunately, Timothy Zahn did the dumb extra U's in clone names, not KJA. But Anderson has done a lot of his own stupid moves, and deciding to ape the silliest thing in Zahn's books with "Paolo" is very within his power.

That's somehow worse?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If there are Dune memes, let them be posted here for the benefit of those of us not on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/corey_whatever/status/1767788901115289827?t=tOXBgypzWILagNkfaIsLxQ&s=19

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

motherbox posted:

It’s been a long, long time since I read Messiah, but if I start with the basic assumption of Chani dying in childbirth isn’t a good thing because she’s an actual character in the movies, it’s not hard to imagine a film that is both faithful to the story and a bit modified in the details. The entire arc for Paul there is both becoming an actual messiah in developing true vision despite the expectations of the Fremen, but also ultimately acquiescing to their traditions by exiling himself into the desert and realizing he was wrong. Just do that and have his reconciliation with Chani align with him accepting the Fremen ways and have her die some other way.

No I'm with ya I'm just racking my brain to think of how to end things on a 3rd film that remotely follows Messiah and doesn't blow. That's a really difficult book to ends things on with a pretty little bow wrapped on top.

kalel posted:

:respek:

20 years I have waited for this.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Listen, listen, just hear me out. 4 hour movie that combines Messiah and Children. Remove some of the bullshit, like for instance I don't want even a whisper of Preacher Paul. If Thufir had to be taken from me, that BS can go.

Get me the throne room from Messiah, get me Ultra Leto II, end on a card that says "and he was a worm for thousands of years and thought about a fake penis". End credits.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I always thought Messiah was a pretty good conclusion on hits own.

Denis' has said his main motivation for making a third film is that he thinks Paul wandering blind into the desert to die is one of the most beautiful endings he's read, so we can at least bet on that aspect of it.

It leaves some threads for the future, but Denis' typically likes to end even his standalone films on an "and then..." so that fits.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Denis' has said his main motivation for making a third film is that he thinks Paul wandering blind into the desert to die is one of the most beautiful endings he's read, so we can at least bet on that aspect of it.

It leaves some threads for the future, but Denis' typically likes to end even his standalone films on an "and then..." so that fits.

He didn't actually die when he did that, but I hear you.

I just hope he passes the baton or something and doesn't just declare the franchise over, taking his ball and going home.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Scags McDouglas posted:

I just hope he passes the baton or something and doesn't just declare the franchise over, taking his ball and going home.

I'm sure the good people over at Disney can sort something out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

As of the ending of Messiah, it is presented as his death and was left that way for years. Children eventually came out and undid that, but Denis is pretty clear that he wants Messiah to be the end of Paul's story.

As for Denis taking his toys and going home, there will be the prequel show later this year/early next year. I kind of expect it and other non-Denis projects to suck, but if WB is certainly going to expand the franchise.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 15, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

there will be the prequel show later this year/early next year.

NooooOOOOOOoooooo

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Yeah it will prob suck rear end, depending on how much of a prequel it is.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really like Dune Messiah a lot, but it doesn't really do Chani any favors over the first book already really passive use of her.

If DENIS' did one really good thing in this adaption is that he made an actual character out of Chani.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

NooooOOOOOOoooooo

Yeah, that's my reaction too. I initially had hope because waaaay back Denis was going to do the pilot and much of the Chernobyl team was going to pick up the torch after him... but then the studio wanted a cheaper project and all of those people departed.

What was actually filmed is an adaptation of a Brian Herbert novel written by someone whose main credits are episodes of Lost and Alias. The lead director is someone whose only previous credit was a spinoff of Underworld. My hopes were dashed at "Brian Herbert" and the filmography of the key creatives doesn't exactly restore confidence.

I'll probably still wind up watching it though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, that's my reaction too. I initially had hope because waaaay back Denis was going to do the pilot and much of the Chernobyl team was going to pick up the torch after him... but then the studio wanted a cheaper project and all of those people departed.

What was actually filmed is an adaptation of a Brian Herbert novel written by someone whose main credits are episodes of Lost and Alias. The lead director is someone whose only previous credit was a spinoff of Underworld. My hopes were dashed at "Brian Herbert" and the filmography of the key creatives doesn't exactly restore confidence.

I'll probably still wind up watching it though.

Fuuuuck

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’ll see you all in the thread for it next time this year.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1768390953348301185?t=9_Cc8gORDOTKYIoB9Qedvg&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, the first vision in DUNC1 is Paul walking into the desert, and he says "my path leads into the desert" or something v similar in both movies. It's 100% ending on the Messiah ending.

For me, it's 100% canonical that Paul dies in the desert or becomes an eternal recluse. If you read enough Dune any character will come back, but that's on you

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://bsky.app/profile/allpunandgames.bsky.social/post/3kmwdaiw3kj2a

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Legit bummed they didn't have Paul doing the little hopping gesture with his hand

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Legit bummed they didn't have Paul doing the little hopping gesture with his hand

Same, same.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Bugblatter posted:

As for Denis taking his toys and going home, there will be the prequel show later this year/early next year.

Well drat. That disappoints me hearing that. For some reason in my head I still had it stuck that Dune was still this bizarre unfilmable science fiction property. I was surprised they were even making Messiah.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised though. This is every franchise now, of course this was going to happen with the slightest sniff of success. There's even a Dune videogame coming out.

Won't be better than the old game, i'm sure.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 15, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Current DUNC RTS game is actually kinda alright. I watched a few playthroughs at launch and it did interesting asymmetrical things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I saw a digital version of a new Dune boardgame on steam yesterday. Looked totally inscrutable

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

I saw a digital version of a new Dune boardgame on steam yesterday. Looked totally inscrutable

AS IT WAS WRITTEN

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gaius Marius posted:

The old (1971) board game is pretty drat inscrutable, but it also loving rules. The traitor mechanics are good in particular.

What I'd really like, though, is a Dune reskin of the Battlestar Galactica board game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I am irrationally annoyed that "Dune" is apparently the true name of the planet that the original Zetsunni proto-Fremen came up with and "Arrakis" is the name the colonialists came up with. It should be the opposite!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I am irrationally annoyed that "Dune" is apparently the true name of the planet that the original Zetsunni proto-Fremen came up with and "Arrakis" is the name the colonialists came up with. It should be the opposite!

If Villeneuve had balls, it would be Dunc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Monica Bellucci posted:

If Villeneuve had balls, it would be Dunc.

I thought this the exact moment he said it

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dune: Spice Wars is pretty cool. The setting doesn't really make sense in the conflict of the books – you play as the leader of one of the factions vying for control over the planet, but it sort of implicitly imagines that Leto I survived his assassination attempt and there's semi-open warfare on the planet. If you set aside the logic of the game, it does a pretty good job of capturing some of the themes of the books, namely how the factions use a combination of intrigue, political maneuvering, war, and financial manipulation to get ahead.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

shoutout DUNE 2 from the 90s for inventing what we know as the RTS

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Dune 2000 is def the best dune game

There's been more than I'd heard of, gonna have to track some down

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Oh poo poo we're talking about Dune 2000 now? I used to watch my buddy play like (fuuuuuuck 25 years ago?) He won a map when it was 1-1 of a single guy with a bazooka left against a tank or something but the tank's precision was meant for larger targets so they just traded shots till the bazooka guy won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5snfvxDdc

These cutscenes are the rarest of Dune media. I still remember 6:20 when a Fremen death commando is captured for the first time, ever.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

language does some silly things in 10,000 years

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Martman posted:

language does some silly things in 10,000 years

34000. poo poo moves around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Monica Bellucci posted:

34000. poo poo moves around.
I had no idea tbh, but looking it up I think the zensunni wanderers that became the Fremen actually would have gotten to Dune like 10,000 years in our future. But trying to look up timeline stuff results in seeing a bunch of Brian Herbert prequel content and my eyes glaze over.