Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You refer to them as Meta because the shift to the Meta verse is one of the most hilarious self owns in business history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

You refer to them as Meta because the shift to the Meta verse is one of the most hilarious self owns in business history.
Pretty sure they burned more money than the entire US covid stimulus cheque program

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A company so out of touch the only way to top it would be trying to ban TikTok

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the hell is going on in this thread tonight?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Pretty sure they burned more money than the entire US covid stimulus cheque program

To remake second life but worse

Lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just posting in the China thread to say hey

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Lmao that Second Life played it smart by turning down Zuck money.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The goon Second Life group was fun back in the day. I'll never forget the device that spawned infinite penises until the game crashed.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
hurry up and ban tiktok so i can make jokes about people unironically using vpns into china

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Klyith posted:

If it passes it'll almost certainly get struck down by the supreme court. (As shitheaded as the majority are, this totally falls into their limited government ideological bias.)

But it's very funny watching the freeze peach GOP idiots try to make laws preventing conservative trolls from getting banned from facebook at the same time as banning a different social media platform.

Hell, a Nazi webcomic creator just got doxxed and it got scrubbed off the very next day.

Nazis are made men on Elon's Twitter.

Turns out, he's a self hating Puerto Rican who hates that he is circumcised.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Booty Pageant posted:

hurry up and ban tiktok so i can make jokes about people unironically using vpns into china

You think the tiktok ban will finally cause the party to fully ban VPNs outright. They do seem to have the tech to gently caress with them every two sessions meeting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Okuteru posted:

Hell, a Nazi webcomic creator just got doxxed and it got scrubbed off the very next day.

Nazis are made men on Elon's Twitter.

Turns out, he's a self hating Puerto Rican who hates that he is circumcised.

What the gently caress I thought he was South African :wth:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What the gently caress I thought he was South African :wth:
He's a Latino guy from Texas named Hans something or other. Very strong 'Grampa was a German living in Argentina for... reasons' vibes imo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

He's a Latino guy from Texas named Hans something or other. Very strong 'Grampa was a German living in Argentina for... reasons' vibes imo.

Oh I meant Elon.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://x.com/lib_crusher/status/1768045023566725292

lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

more like KLOWN

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Booty Pageant posted:

TikTok is banned in China. You'd have to VPN somewhere else.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

CCP takes irony to a whole new level

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They have their own version called Douyin, it's the same concept with much tighter control and censorship.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TikTok sucks for a lot of reasons but the spying thing is like the lowest of the low on that list lol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

They have their own version called Douyin, it's the same concept with much tighter control and censorship.

The person who did that got genocided. You're now one of my elite Uyghurs!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

People like him are fairly common in positions that require high security clearance levels, because the more fundamentalist religious types generally don't drink, use drugs, or do anything else that might raise flags on a background check, and tend to be "rah rah America" as a bonus. There are a lot of Mormons and 7th Day Adventists working in US military intelligence.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And they're all gaping security holes who need to be thrown out because they're literal insane cultists

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
man, just wait til this guy finds out where iphones come from

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They own insta. You forgot about insta? Such much shame

insta is facebook for people in denial about using facebook

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cactus Ghost posted:

insta is facebook for people in denial about using facebook
killing insta would nuke the tattoo industry's marketing overnight but hey nudity would be legal again

also your new redtext is a throwback to stuff people used to post here around your regdate wtf

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Wasn't Vine owned by twitter?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

the absolute funniest thing would be that nongfu water thing leading to douyin getting banned at close to the same time

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

je1 healthcare posted:

Wasn't Vine owned by twitter?

bought by, then very rapidly taken behind the shed

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Apparently Grindr was also a Chinese company that was force-sold for similar reasons so this isn't even unprecedented if they do it.

I have never used Tiktok and never will so I firmly don't care other than finding it funny.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grand Fromage posted:

I have never used Tiktok and never will so I firmly don't care other than finding it funny.

it's pretty poo poo law regardless of the specific target at present

like, yeah, EU internet service regulations have their problems and absolutely have a protectionist "we wish EU firms could compete with google and will try to legislate that into reality" aspect, but they're not loving nonsense "no foreign internet services allowed, period" law

now, such US law would almost certainly be enforced selectively as gently caress (as are the european laws), but that's not the point. it's not even bothering to try and establish actual data protection or content moderation standards, it's "a bunch of politicians are mad that kids don't share their views on US-Israeli relations, so blame China and ban all Chineseforeign with caveats companies from doing gently caress all"

this sails through congress as foreign, chinese or otherwise, influence operations happily parade around the social networks owned by american firms. tiktok is getting bullshit special examination because the pols are like "such disagreement must be a coordinated influence op!" when it's really (a) no, teens just really disagree that much re US-Israel policy and (b) the viability of influence operations is an inherent property of social networks regardless of where they're incorporated

the way to address (b) is to require transparency metrics, sorta. like ultimately, while an important step forward, it doesn't address "the CCP attache on the board says to boost this content", but it's not like ownership rules somehow addresses that, it just means said attache has to operate through a couple smokescreens

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

like, yeah, EU internet service regulations have their problems and absolutely have a protectionist "we wish EU firms could compete with google and will try to legislate that into reality" aspect, but they're not loving nonsense "no foreign internet services allowed, period" law

The biggest EU data laws are privacy regulations and they are universally applied, so it's not like foreign corporations lose competitive edge in European markets in relation to European internet services because the latter have to adhere to them too. In fact a lot of European companies have been bitching and whining about that regulation because they have to put tons of resources into adhering with them for "domestic" European markets while their global competitors have the ability to just ignore European markets. In reality the implementation has been a massive clusterfuck, but over all I think it is a positive thing to try to bring about some regulation onto internet data gathering. But if the purpose of those regulations is to bring about European Google into reality, then it is a failed policy, because it hurts European business as much if not more than their global competitors.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Isn't the issue with tiktok related to the fact that the Chinese government insists on having some sort of back end access to the app for security reasons?

I could be wrong but I think the fact teens use it to disagree with US policy plays very little role in the attempt to ban it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

didnt taiwan ban it on certan networks for just that very reason?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Glah posted:

The biggest EU data laws are privacy regulations and they are universally applied, so it's not like foreign corporations lose competitive edge in European markets in relation to European internet services because the latter have to adhere to them too. In fact a lot of European companies have been bitching and whining about that regulation because they have to put tons of resources into adhering with them for "domestic" European markets while their global competitors have the ability to just ignore European markets. In reality the implementation has been a massive clusterfuck, but over all I think it is a positive thing to try to bring about some regulation onto internet data gathering. But if the purpose of those regulations is to bring about European Google into reality, then it is a failed policy, because it hurts European business as much if not more than their global competitors.

The functional effect is to strangle any nascent European tech business in the crib but I wouldn’t want to swear there was no protectionism in the intent.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

The functional effect is to strangle any nascent European tech business in the crib but I wouldn’t want to swear there was no protectionism in the intent.

You don’t need to strangle something that’s stillborn.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Good; tech businesses are a great Satan.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
We should trade. China unbans Google, Facebook, (not twitter), and craigslist and we keep ticktock

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

The_Franz posted:

People like him are fairly common in positions that require high security clearance levels, because the more fundamentalist religious types generally don't drink, use drugs, or do anything else that might raise flags on a background check, and tend to be "rah rah America" as a bonus. There are a lot of Mormons and 7th Day Adventists working in US military intelligence.

each day i discover a reason to sympathise with mao zedong's desire to murder fundamentalist ideals, and eventually even his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Twitter needs to be unbanned everywhere because even in X form its loving hilarious