Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for a supplier of jo staffs/staves of various lengths? I am looking for some that will take some hits from occasional paired contact practice.

Kim Taylor has a wide variety and can probably do custom orders:
https://sdksupplies.com/cat_bokuto.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is a really long exploration of various southern Chinese martial arts that heavily influenced Okinawa karate.
You can skip around if you just want to watch the forms demonstrations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ARJNmZ00w
If I had one critique, it's that I wish the host would show side by side the modern karate kata equivalents.

Thanks to the fairly rigid passing down of forms (taolu / kata), it's very apparently that early karate inherited forms and application philosophy:
- close forms from White Crane (whose ancestry to Wing Chun [the same name as the city of Yongchun in the docu])
- long form from Monk Fist Boxing
- weapons (freakin tonfa and sai undiluted!) from 5 Ancestors Boxing

I've never been keen on kata, but the fact that this rigid inheritance makes attributing the influences on karate a cakewalk is both impressive and culturally valuable.

The guy I train Mongolian wrestling with has a rumination on the value of kata to your overall martial development:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aar4ymvB7fk

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
since my schedule has been freed up recently, i was looking around to see what kinds of classes were available, preferably something not MMA, because I need to exercise and sparring is actually enjoyable, and i found two notable highlights

1: a place really close to my commute with flexible hours and lots of good reviews, which, unfortunately, has since mostly closed down due to covid
2: a place which looked okay but then had a section on the website dedicated to this, and uh,

i am pretty sure this place is a cult of some kind!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
At 3-4 days of swords a week and a few days of running on top, my feet are at their limit for repetitive impact activities. I took a BJJ trial class, I think I'm gonna sneak in a few lessons of that per week. Nothing gets me excited to go sweat like a contact art.

Blaziken386 posted:

since my schedule has been freed up recently, i was looking around to see what kinds of classes were available, preferably something not MMA, because I need to exercise and sparring is actually enjoyable, and i found two notable highlights

1: a place really close to my commute with flexible hours and lots of good reviews, which, unfortunately, has since mostly closed down due to covid
2: a place which looked okay but then had a section on the website dedicated to this, and uh,

Looks like a judo guy set up his own "koryu" organization in the 1980s. I can't say I'd be interested.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Blaziken386 posted:

That sounds completely legit and totally reasonable mature behavior for a martial arts club.

Jesus christ :psyduck:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crossposting from the MMA thread

kimbo305 posted:

*Speaking of sanshou, vlogger Sensei Seth went to train with the US Sanda team. This video shows some flavor of the throws and covers how it's scored.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86RUX0jSDAs
My record against fighters shown in this video is 0-2, and it is with insane jealousy that I report that both of them medaled at Worlds this past summer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

hello dead thread

We're talking about updating and redecorating our club.

Our club is in a fairly old part of town and the building is probably pushing 100+ years old, we own it outright so we can do whatever. Just a matter of $$.

We actually removed the 80s style front facade/awning outside so we have the original old school red brick now as the exterior finish.

We presently have a very good wooden training surface (think a school gymnasium floor, which is exactly what it is) that we plan to refinish, but the ceiling are those crappy drop ceiling/tiles and fluorescent lights, also like a school from the 80s. The walls are generic white painted drywall.

We are thinking of putting in some 4x8 panels, kinda like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-HDF-Kingston-Brick-Panel-KINGSTON/311316427
and lining the perimeter of our training surface with them.

What are thoughts on something like the above? Anyone do anything like that? What about drop ceilings?

I realize asthetics aren't normally a huge thing for clubs, but it has never really been updated in 30+ years and is just starting to get tired... so if we're going to put some $$ and sweat equity into it regardless, might as well spruce it up to something nice.

Change of topic,

As much as I love to train (especially with people better than me) I am realizing that while I can hold my own well enough and I am a fairly tough old gently caress, I am just too old and slow to be competitive, especially with people less than half my age. I'm also about 5'11 but with a long torso and short appendages, so only about a 31" inseam. And in my art reach and speed are massive so I need to be creative with my attacks and counters against someone else that knows what they're doing but enjoy a speed and a arm/leg edge.

I was sparring a 17-18 year old last night who is an *excellent* sparrer (actually my masters son, competes on our national team) and as I was pushing him back he delivered a beautiful jumping back kick as he was retreating. So fast, I couldn't see it coming. A simply great technique and delivered right, effective as hell.

It was delivered right.

Hit my right square in the chin. 1" higher, probably would have taken out my front teeth (and I just had endodental gum surgery 3 weeks ago), 1" higher than that, guaranteed a broken nose.

Took 10 seconds to shake it off, and got back into it with him, but yeah, I am sore. He probably pushed my jaw in a couple inches in a direction it's not meant to travel lol. I can't chew properly and my teeth don't line up quite right. Pretty sure it's just the swelling in my jaw and should go away in a bit. Could have easily been a knock out or even broken jaw tbh, so I was lucky.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
So did you change your name to Slidebite in commemoration of taking the face kick or was it a happy accident?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I imagine the aesthetics of your art are going to be a little different than kendo, but we like wood or wood-product paneling on the walls. Where I practice, that's sheets of plain MDF (I think) tacked up with a stain over it.

I wouldn't want to get shoved or fall into bricks, is what I'm saying. Basketball wall padding might also be nice if "flat brown" is not in fashion for your club. Probably more fire-resistant, too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Novum posted:

So did you change your name to Slidebite in commemoration of taking the face kick or was it a happy accident?
LOL, name's always been the same my man, but maybe it's time to rename my self to "foot face" or something

Ohtori Akio posted:

I imagine the aesthetics of your art are going to be a little different than kendo, but we like wood or wood-product paneling on the walls. Where I practice, that's sheets of plain MDF (I think) tacked up with a stain over it.

I wouldn't want to get shoved or fall into bricks, is what I'm saying. Basketball wall padding might also be nice if "flat brown" is not in fashion for your club. Probably more fire-resistant, too.
Wood is kinda nice and would give more options for colors/finishing.

The linked thing isn't really brick, its just a recycled wood based (I'm thinking like MDF?) panel with a faux brick look.

We certainly do the odd throw, but nothing remotely like the ground based/rolling arts and never in open/free sparring. Whenever we throw it's planned and acknowledged, so ending up upside down into the wall should never happen... but crashing into it might from upright sparring or drills and losing balance. We've patched the drywall from accidents a few times.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

slidebite posted:

LOL, name's always been the same my man, but maybe it's time to rename my self to "foot face" or something

Wood is kinda nice and would give more options for colors/finishing.

The linked thing isn't really brick, its just a recycled wood based (I'm thinking like MDF?) panel with a faux brick look.

We certainly do the odd throw, but nothing remotely like the ground based/rolling arts and never in open/free sparring. Whenever we throw it's planned and acknowledged, so ending up upside down into the wall should never happen... but crashing into it might from upright sparring or drills and losing balance. We've patched the drywall from accidents a few times.

oh that makes sense. yeah if it was me i'd be paneling in plain MDF stained club colors or my favorite colors, just something that can wear down and be refinished periodically without looking broken per se, and not dent on impact like drywall. i wish there were more prefinished options that i had faith would wear down attractively.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Today I also discovered I've been training enough that my legs are too thick (especially calves) to wear some brands and cuts of normal/regular pants :(

Which sucks, because I really liked these pants!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2024

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
One of my judo senseis is also a vovinam master and started a club here from scratch last year. We finally got gear and started sparring for real and I've confirmed a couple things:

1) Side kicks work, quite well actually
2) Judo definitely works in a fistfight, even without grips since I have boxing gloves on
3) I need to start jogging

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

One of my judo senseis is also a vovinam master and started a club here from scratch last year. We finally got gear and started sparring for real and I've confirmed a couple things:

1) Side kicks work, quite well actually
2) Judo definitely works in a fistfight, even without grips since I have boxing gloves on
3) I need to start jogging

What ruleset do you spar under? What's the definition of thrown, or how do you score throws?
I teach sanshou, where you can do any throw where you don't touch a knee or worse to the ground, but you have 3 seconds from the start of a clinch to finish. In that context, people rely on entering while their opponent is still striking or distracted by striking offense and muscling through the throw. Anyone with better offbalancing technique can do a lot more in that 3 seconds, provided that they are ready for covering some defensive strikes in the clinch.
Working with boxing gloves is like no-gi plus, since you can't even grab wrists one handed. A huge part of sanshou throw repertoire is from kick catching, having a body part delivered to you with energy and already isolating them to one support leg.

Sidekicks are undervalued in the current MMA landscape cuz of the typical arts that people typically train. In Muay Thai itself, people are frequently excellent with teeps and can transfer offense and defense for that range over to sidekicks. But yeah, anyone who doesn't understand the range is offering up a few free shots to the abs until they adjust.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
In tournaments I believe it's a 3 second clinch, but our instructor wants people to get good at grappling so he doesn't enforce it in sparring.

No real takedown restrictions except no sacrifice throws and nothing obviously dangerous (except, strangely enough, scissor sweeps, which is crazy coming from judo where they've been banned as super dangerous for many decades, but vovinam specializes in them).

Not sure how it's all scored yet since we haven't done a tournament yet and vovinam rules are hard to find in English.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Front leg sidekicks are basically the equivalence of a jab but for a kick imho.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
a foot jab is a teep imho. If you got wonky legs a teep can kinda be a sidekick too but usually only the long pants karate guys attempt full on bruce lee sidekicks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

No real takedown restrictions except no sacrifice throws and nothing obviously dangerous (except, strangely enough, scissor sweeps, which is crazy coming from judo where they've been banned as super dangerous for many decades, but vovinam specializes in them).

It's not a frequent move in sanshou partly cuz it's regarded as dangerous and partly cuz it doesn't score full points (the thrower falls to the ground as well). I think it's not as dangerous in a striking context only because people will be less planted on their feet and more likely to be moving around, making it easier to pick the attacked legs off the ground before an ankle or knee gets bound between the the scissoring legs. If someone stands very high and bladed, they're much more susceptible to it being done cleanly them, compared to someone who's squared up and trudging toward you.

It's like elbows in that it's hard to practice in sparring, so people who are good at it tend to have a lot of competition time where they're not afraid to throw the technique 100%.

e: wait, this technique, right?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYfr4N7FXDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS_q0gwl1X8

In both videos, what makes it safer is if you plow them off balance by slamming the top leg into their stomach. You land that leg below the waist, then yeah, those knees are in trouble.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 26, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some really troubling news:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...state-1.7128425

Thoughts:
I can't find any reporting on whether Lei had a coach, or what his prior experience was. If he was training with someone, that person really failed him by not being there to pull him after his first lopsided loss. If he was self-trained or untrained, the event organizers failed him in multiple ways.
The biggest is of course running a ruleset/competition level way different and more demanding than advertised.
The second is not having anyone spot him getting beaten up and forcing him to stop.
The third is not having some assessment in the registration phase that would have filtered out someone who was grossly undertrained to compete.

I'm sure lots of people here have heard of unsanctioned low level amateur events -- smokers, etc. -- with varying degrees of safety/responsibility. At my gym, we used to run them with a trained EMT hired to help assess injury and concussion. Though the intensity level never got to anything where I was concerned about anyone's safety, it seemed the right thing to do.
I hear that USA Boxing is really really vigilant against smokers, and will ban teams/gyms for participating in them. It's kind of lovely because it's good for aspiring competitors to have a bridge between sparring people at your gym (people who you know in a familiar environment with no pressure) and that first amateur event (a lot of strangers looking to win by hurting you, possibly even a crowd watching your every flubbed move). But it's certainly reasonable given how poorly run an unsanctioned event can be. Places are evading this vigilance by advertising "open sparring" nights, meaning you spar people you don't know. I think this is perfectly legitimate as long as the ref can control the action in the ring and step in when either party goes past the agreed upon intensity.

A lot of unsanctioned amateur events have gotten by on the cheap, thinking they'd never get into trouble with how they operated, but one person's [potential] death shows how flimsy everything was.
While non-striking events are not risk free, I suspect the kind of injury potential is 20x with striking involved.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2024

mewse
May 2, 2006

That loving sucks.

I was involved in organizing amateur boxing events in Canada for a while and got to speak to the main doctor we'd have attending the events. He told me he would call the nearest emergency room prior to an event and warn them that he might be sending them someone with a brain bleed - which is the specific injury that happened here.

I have to think if this were a sanctioned event with an amateur sport association involved, then the permanent damage could have been mitigated by having a doctor on-site with a plan to get the kid treatment ASAP.

Protect yourself at all times!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The smokers in my hometown were run with an EMT and ambulance on hand. That's actually how I got on the MMA team, my D&D DM was one of the local EMTs, so he was already friends with the coach and got us a couple of free lessons as a favor.

Head injuries can escalate quickly. Not having medical professionals on staff is dangerously negligent.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
A few years ago at the Kuo Shu in MD I was watching the Lei Tai (full contact raised platform fighting). This guy does a textbook roundhouse kick and catches the other guy right in the knockout point on his jaw and the person who got kicked was out on his feet, full on fencing response. He slammed backwards, smashing his head (fortunately they wear headgear) and the medical team just stood there, watching. It took almost 20-30 seconds for them to move after he slammed on the ground.

I believe that was the same year my old Wing Chun Sifu told me the story about the Grandmaster who put the event together. A few years into the tournament’s life the Boxing Commission showed up, told GM he’s in violation, and that if he didn’t pay them back pay plus interest the tournament would be shuttered, indefinitely. Fortunately he had his checkbook.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

A few years ago at the Kuo Shu in MD I was watching the Lei Tai (full contact raised platform fighting). This guy does a textbook roundhouse kick and catches the other guy right in the knockout point on his jaw and the person who got kicked was out on his feet, full on fencing response. He slammed backwards, smashing his head (fortunately they wear headgear) and the medical team just stood there, watching. It took almost 20-30 seconds for them to move after he slammed on the ground.

I believe that was the same year my old Wing Chun Sifu told me the story about the Grandmaster who put the event together. A few years into the tournament’s life the Boxing Commission showed up, told GM he’s in violation, and that if he didn’t pay them back pay plus interest the tournament would be shuttered, indefinitely. Fortunately he had his checkbook.

lei tai is nuts man. i get scared seeing people play rough on hard gym floors. but with elevation???

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ohtori Akio posted:

lei tai is nuts man. i get scared seeing people play rough on hard gym floors. but with elevation???

That same tourney I saw two heavyweight women fighting. Unfortunately, one was heavy because she was tall and built and the other was short and obese. When the fight started the tall woman bull-rushed the other woman and knocked her clean off the platform. She did this two more times automatically making her the victor. I am not exaggerating when I say not a single attack was actually thrown.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

That same tourney I saw two heavyweight women fighting. Unfortunately, one was heavy because she was tall and built and the other was short and obese. When the fight started the tall woman bull-rushed the other woman and knocked her clean off the platform. She did this two more times automatically making her the victor. I am not exaggerating when I say not a single attack was actually thrown.

mma is beautiful. doesn't matter how good you strike if you can't deal with a takedown.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I respect any sport with virtua fighter ring outs in the ruleset.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

When the fight started the tall woman bull-rushed the other woman and knocked her clean off the platform. She did this two more times automatically making her the victor. I am not exaggerating when I say not a single attack was actually thrown.
It’s a viable scoring tactic for people who don’t have any footwork. Tim Ferriss the productivity influencer touted identifying this loophole on his way to becoming a world champion in sanshou after less than a year of training, winning exclusively on pushout sudden victory. If you watch the meager footage of him that exists, the reality is that he’s obviously an experienced wrestler who is really good at cornering you, which is not easy —
a proper lei tai is 26ft square, with at least a 6ft apron of very cushy padding around that. Picture of the leitai used for US Sanda nationals:

That’s much wider than 6ft. I’m wearing a taichi outfit to try to psyche out whoever my opponent would be (ended up being last year’s world silver medalist).

By comparison, the largest boxing ring is 24ft. If you’re a decently trained fighter, you’re not going off without plenty of advance warning. I’ve only fought on one 3 times, and only got got scored on the with a pushout once, but have been off the platform close to a dozen times on attempted pushes. When you get pushed but bring the other person off with you, it’s a no score. Even in my first leitai fight I was comfortable by the middle of the first round with standing close to the edge, baiting and looking for a counter throw.
You absolutely can land outside the padded area with force, but again, it’s uncommon an opponent would let their guard down that much. This is a clip of someone getting pushed and defending by doing a huge throw instead of just pulling the attacker off:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3Vx459Ndtl/?igsh=eWhoY2c4Z2I3dndo
Dick move but fair I suppose. No score on the pushout or throw, but the incidental damage is the reward for that throw effort. Red’s heels got an ippon level slam into that hardwood.

E: I’d much rather get pushed onto that apron than get thrown on 1” puzzle mat or even 2” wrestling mat, in terms of how hard that landing is.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 2, 2024

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It really seems like a whole bunch people had to gently caress up really badly for an outcome like this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that just seems like a disaster all around. Not sure where the complainant is able to say whether any martial arts association can or cannot sanction any specific event, but it's just a sad situation around.

Does anyone know of a north American source of large interlocking mats for competitions for a reasonable $$? That's relative of course.

My club is looking to buy our own (probably around 800ish) and the price along with shipping is horrific from the suppliers we've found so far. We'll probably buy an enclosed trailer to store them too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Trained with our sparring team last night and we spent the first 20 minutes doing various full power kick drills up and down the floor with a partner holding the kicking bag.

Last drill was full power back kicks. Get to the switch so I start holding. Get back to the beginning, one last kick to go and I tell my partner (late teens, tall lanky kid) "One more, make it your best one!"

And he proceeds to kick me full tilt into the front of my thigh, right into my quad.

Dropped me like a sack and gently caress me, did it hurt. No bruise yet, but it was a deep one. He dug in nicely with his heel.

Made the rest of the otherwise awesome class suck and I am walking like a 95 year old cripple this am lol.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Unfortunately, one was heavy because she was tall and built and the other was short and obese.

I won't compete in Jiujitsu again until I can get down to a moderately lean bodyfat; it's just such a gulf if you sign up fat and your opponent, of the same weight, signs up lean. They feel like a totally different person when they grab you.

I don't know what, if anything, could be done to make it fairer; I mean in a since it's already fair because you can just be in better shape, but still, it's keeping me out of tournaments.

With Judo it isn't a problem around here because they have few enough people doing Judo that they throw all the vaguely similar people into matches so it's not so much of a constantly disadvantaged position.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I won't compete in Jiujitsu again until I can get down to a moderately lean bodyfat; it's just such a gulf if you sign up fat and your opponent, of the same weight, signs up lean. They feel like a totally different person when they grab you.

I don't know what, if anything, could be done to make it fairer; I mean in a since it's already fair because you can just be in better shape, but still, it's keeping me out of tournaments.

With Judo it isn't a problem around here because they have few enough people doing Judo that they throw all the vaguely similar people into matches so it's not so much of a constantly disadvantaged position.

Can’t you do a masters or directors division? I think all of us are around that age.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can, and that helps, but fundamentally if I'm an overweight 190 and I used to compete at 165, running into anyone that's a really lean 190, whether they're 18 or 38, it's another level physically. It's not a big deal in the gym, but in a tournament where everything is dialed up to 9 and we're all just a LITTLE less concerned with hurting our opponent, I don't want to feel physically overwhelmed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I made this post in the Boston LAN thread for an interested poster, but given how much work it was, I might as well share it here.
Any and all commentary is welcome.

kimbo305 posted:

Engage maximum effort post reading mode.

A while back, CE asked me to analyze more clips of me sparring. While reviewing/reminiscing some old stuff for material to show my class, I found a nice session. Maybe Novum and others will enjoy it, too.
Fricking imgur shut down its video to gif feature, so I had to reactivate my Premiere sub to edit the clips. And then spent an hour writing notes.

For maximum educational effect, I'm doing the slomo gifs first and linking the live video after.

On this day, only 2 people showed up, so it was pretty grueling. On the other hand, I was in great shape relative to where I am now.
Some other general notes:
- over the years, I've mentally edited my own perception of how much my style changed over time. This round is from only 3 years into training, and honestly, it's not that different from how I fight now, with the exception of silghtly larger throw vocabulary.
- besides the really nice headgear, I'm in any ol gloves and shinguards. Can't believe I was that effective and not being a gear snob
- my sparring partner here had pretty short arms, and a relatively high telegraph punching style, so I'm punching more and with bigger combos than I usually do, to capitalize on that differential

I'm linking these as mp4s, cuz I think they're smaller to load and the sound is nice. But I dunno if they embed both desktop and app.
Slomo is anywhere from 50% - 75%, depending on how much detail is needed.
A cross means a rear straight punch, and 1-2 means a jab then a cross.
I'm in the red shirt, blue shorts.

https://i.imgur.com/e02Otm7.mp4
At the start of the round, in response to a probing double jab, I parry down the 2nd and shoot my own mirror stance jab over the top and immediately start pivoting off away from the power hand

https://i.imgur.com/PvExEPx.mp4
I get pressured into the corner a bit and circle out to my left but get tied up and clubbed with two right hooks, the second landing squarely behind my ear. Not moving to the right in a clinch becomes a theme to my defensive holes in this round. My circling out gets me in orthodox stance, and I keep side stepping to stay a moving target.
Sensing a jab coming, I just duck over it and push away and deliver a switch kick to the lead leg, finishing my exit.

https://i.imgur.com/NuZvRgZ.mp4
still expecting a double jab, I escalate my counter, parrying down but this time throwing a 1-2 back over and then pivoting left, which is much easier after throwing the rear right hand.

https://i.imgur.com/6SqO1Qs.mp4
I try to stop an advance with a fake rear right hand and lead uppercut. I have never developed the commitment I need to really land uppercuts, and this one comes up pretty short.
Seeing he's still advancing, I jam and distract with a jab, throw an inside kick under it, and then immediately shell up for that cross counter while backing away. So far, solid defensive responsibility.

https://i.imgur.com/g85Cb7e.mp4
he throws a mid kick that I catch and immediately drop to throw my own kick, and then he catches that! His push is hampered by not having his kicking leg back down right away, so he converts to a body knee while I tie up close to force a reset.
In Muay Thai, we could have kept going in the clinch, but in sanshou, stalling quickly to break is the norm.

https://i.imgur.com/HkCmgMY.mp4
as he pushes me into the corner, I go to outside reap his front leg, but he senses it just in time to retract it, and my leg misses. Upstairs, he offers to let up, though I continue to disengage with more safety, shelling up into a cross arm guard as he pushes away. I'm not confident on where to place my left arm -- higher to catch a hook on the upper arm? Further out to block a straight punch? The right arm is in a decent position to stop a punch on the left.
As I return to a normal guard, you can see how much I stick my neck forward. One of the less pretty aspects of my stance, and more vulnerable to punches both in reach and muscular restistance.

https://i.imgur.com/oJQlcCO.mp4
we're both hanging out with dead air between us, with him slipping and looking to advance, so I take the initiative with a jab just so he doesn't get too many ideas. He advances and pauses, so I commit on his next step to drop down and throw a long body shot, coming back up with that defensive jab (which correctly anticipates his countering cross) and inside kick (upsetting his base and slowing his advance while I exit out of reach of his jab.

https://i.imgur.com/Kx61ZKZ.mp4
got caught in the corner and started circling dramatically to my right to escape. He gets me with a lead hook before I put up my cross arm guard, which is still really open on my left side.
I've never been very adept in the clinch, and not comfortable with putting my arms out to foul incoming punches. My style is exemplified in this round -- stay on the outside, or get in and then get back out.

https://i.imgur.com/44UIzs1.mp4
We're both slowing down a bit, so you see more single shots exchanged. I see a naked kick coming and sacrifice my leg to take my head away from potential high kick or rear hand. Jab and side step. Get jabbed and throw a sloppy responding cross. Try to throw a 1-2 and get nicely jabbed inside my cross and step away, getting herded back into the corner with jabs.
As one last act of defiance, I try to throw my rear uppercut and predictably for me, come up short. He throws his third jab but follows with a body kick that lands flush while my arm is out on the uppercut.

https://i.imgur.com/x9ZACbm.mp4
I'm stepping out of the corner, see him threatening and try to punch to the body while still slipping out to the left. This doesn't work, as he tracks me nicely with that jab. At least I get out of reach of that chopping right hand. I go back to the ol reliable jamming jab and inside kick, disrupting his base as he comes in with a hook, but I also kick too far and overrotate as he clinches up. He goes for a clubbing overhand while I'm trying to square back up, and I lean my head away. By now I've got his left tricep in my right glove (and my left forearm spaced across his chest), so I've got enough handle on him to try a trip. Outside right leg reap followed by pushoff. I don't care if he falls; I'm retreating back off of my push.

https://i.imgur.com/7Ke1jus.mp4
new idea. Eat the kick and answer with a deep rear punch and the pivot away from his power hand.
Worked out ok -- I end up outside his left shoulder and step back as he he tries to bring his rear hook around. His lead hook is too late as I set up outside of the pocket.

https://i.imgur.com/49giUrZ.mp4
I'm slowing down and can't parry his jab in time, though I do graze him with my cross back over the top. After I back up, I throw the laziest feint lead kick and then stay there cuz I'm too tired.

https://i.imgur.com/oEJFA8B.mp4
I know the flurry is coming but don't have the will to move off, so just tuck my head down and shell up. His combo is jab, jab cross left hook right hook left hook right cross. The cross catches me, and I get lucky on everything else, partially blocking on my forearms and gloves. You can see the last punch knock my hand away.
My whole gameplan has been to use my reach and speed advantage against his short hooking punches, and when I'm too tired to set distance, I'm gonna pay.

https://i.imgur.com/FtTNfuy.mp4
I give up on trying to parry and just try to throw a harder punch right away against his jab, land that, but am slow in pivoting out. Halt a lead uppercut when he lands his inside kick. And then when he throws the next jab, I parry solidly and go for the lead upper again, which he ducks and wraps up both my arms in front of me, and then lands a right hook to my temple. I go to cross arm guard as I disengage and manage to block the left hook.

https://i.imgur.com/kX8Uaxy.mp4
trying to muster up enough energy to get momentum going my way again. I decide to start switching stances a lot to confuse.
As he throws the body jab, I land a mirror stance outside lead kick. I eat a kick as I gather up the mental energy to throw a punch combo and switch stances at the same time. As he kicks again, I throw cross jab cross, stepping forward twice with my rear foot so that it becomes my lead foot, then exiting to my left in southpaw.
As soon as he reengages, I feint a long uppercut to the body and once again twirl around his left shoulder, having turned him in front of me so much that I'm back to orthodox and ready to punch. He's completely occupied with recovering position so I get one free cross.
I follow pretty aggressively, and as he jabs, I throw a springing lead body kick that lets me settle back deeper, out of range and back into southpaw.

https://i.imgur.com/ssm6TXL.mp4
still trying to get momentum back on my side, i leap in with a non committal knee and score with a lead hook, cross combo. Now that he's got the knee on his mind, I do a sloppy Brazilian kick -- feint low kick (just barely in this execution) and then high kick. Lands (S-tier satisfaction in sparring), so I go back in to try to run up the score. Jab cross uppercut. Only the jab lands. I exit responsibly before his answering right hand.
The way my left foot just stays in place as I throw my rear left hand is one of the poorest aspects of my form. It means I'm rushing the punch, not sitting down on my hip or rear leg at all. You don't see this when I'm throwing rear punches from orthodox cuz I'm a natural righty.

https://i.imgur.com/wM1xOXe.mp4
as he comes in, I slap down the jab and cross just to distract him, before stepping off to the right. His right punch goes around my back and then his lead hook is blocked by my forearm. He's still coming, so I throw the only sidekick of the round, reaching him while neutralizing his jab.

https://i.imgur.com/86wKwAw.mp4
an even worse example of my left rear hand problem. As I punch, my rear foot slides to the right. The only power I put into my punch is from my body and shoulder shifting forward.
Ok, he's still coming, so I put out my right hand to try to deflect his arm to the side to clear that space for my head. As I slip to the right, I throw the rear hand to the body and recover it loosely to cross arm guard waiting for his answer. My left arm manages to stuff his rear hook. He lands his jab as I wait in the corner, and then I try his style of chopping rear hand and actually manage to land it even has he leans away.

https://i.imgur.com/4vTiPc9.mp4
as I tire, my rear hand gets low. So when we trade jabs, I get caught, bringing up my hand (and shifting back stance switch) way too late. Distance setting body shot. Cover his jab and inside kick. Jab into the dead air while getting my rear hand up for protection. Throw my 1-2 as he jabs and lands, get bothered enough to retreat.
From the corner, I try to jam into a clinch, but don't circle enough to the right and eat the right hook hard, with absolutely no cover from my left arm. My right arm is in place by the time he attempts his left hook.

https://i.imgur.com/upamm0H.mp4
too tired to do anything about leg kicks anymore, I just wait to have the most opening on a kick to punch back, doing a stance switching 4 punch combo where nothing lands cleanly, not even the rear hook I tried to set up.

So, this is all misleadingly overaly analytical. In these striking exchanges, you decide what you do before you start punching, and 80% of how it plays out is based on that decision and your speed of execution, with very little adjustment mid-exchange.
When you see it at full speed, it becomes clear that you can't make super refined tactical decisions in the moments of firefighting. You just pick a move that you've done thousands of times and execute it again. Hence some of my subpar clinch defense work -- I'm just doing what my body is used to no matter what. By the same token, even when things clearly work in slow motion, you might not even spot them at speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYEbfC3tyQ&t=1626s

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I learned today that I'm very bad at kicking.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I learned today that I'm very bad at kicking.

I came in from judo and started a striking style about 6 months ago and said the exact same thing. Way, way better now. Not sticking your face right into someone's hook, that's the hard part.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I came in from judo and started a striking style about 6 months ago and said the exact same thing. Way, way better now. Not sticking your face right into someone's hook, that's the hard part.

Yah. There's Muay Thai class after the BJJ class I was going to ordinarily. So, I decided I should learn some striking. I will probably never have a fight of any kind as long as I live, but if I do, a little kick punch will help me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And even if 90% of your game is BJJ, having even a little exposure to baiting a right hand and then avoiding it as you grab the person is important. It's one of those "filtering" situations, if the person is throwing a lot of wild punches and you don't know how you're going to grab them, it can make you hesitate and just prolong the part of the fight where they're most comfortable and you're least.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Training any striking art that allows clinch work will help you stay on your feet on your own terms for longer than if you didn't train it. Footwork that works when you have to protect your head from strikes works just as well when you don't have that concern.

My students say they have really high transfer from boxing gloves-on, no gi clinches and throws in sanshou to open hands and gis in their BJJ classes. It mostly speaks to not emphasizing that domain in the average BJJ class, but at lower belt levels, yeah, the differential is dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

So my father taught my sister and I, as early as he could, Hapkido breakfalls and rolls (what Aikido calls ukemi). I remember a few years ago seeing for the first time a presentation on I think shuai jiao where their technique for falling is to tighten the whole body into a kind of fetal position, landing on the side and protecting the head. Has anybody here practiced this or both styles of breakfalls and can elucidate the logic behind this fascinating technique?