Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Parallax posted:

are the exceptional x-men new characters aside from emma and kitty

as far as we know as of today, yes, but I wouldn't necessarily expect that to remain the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Woo, Vulpes on X-Men!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Regular and Uncanny have great creative teams. Can't wait to see what they have to offer. I don't know much about the team on Exceptional, but I will give it a shot. I normally like to read something before I judge it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I am there for McKay on X-Men, and eager to see how he writes that team. Magik seems right up his alley. Simone is hit or miss with me, but her team seems well suited to her strengths, so i'll give it a shot. Same for Ewing, who I haven't read much from. Intrigued by the Phoenix stand alone, but I'll need to know the creative teams before I can get excited about the rest.

I will say it is disappointing how back to the status quo the books seem so far. Uncanny especially seems to be channeling 90s cartoon nostalgia, which I suppose makes sense given the new show. Fingers crossed though. Not the end of the world to take a break from X-Men for a spell.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Deeply unimpressed by the status quo regression, but hopefully we'll get some good stories out of it. Excited for McKay on X-Men, and I generally like Simone's work, though the former's roster is way more appealing than the latter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll read the first couple issues of each book and continue if i enjoy them. you know, like a sane person.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm super down for Mckay-Men. Great writer and artist. Less excited about the roster, but Juggernaut and Cyclops are good, and Oya coming out of her Exiles stuff as more of a serious player strikes me as promising. I guess Elizabeth isn't Captain Britain anymore?

I haven't read a Gail Simone book since Agent X, so I dunno what she's like lately. Has the characters I actually like so I'm obligated to at least give it a look.

The third book is gonna need a lot of buzz to rope me in.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Is that Elizabeth or Kannon?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Rogue and Gambit are loving perfect characters for Gail Simone to write.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bad sign imo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raserys posted:

Is that Elizabeth or Kannon?

I think it's Kwanon unless they're going back to Elizabeth's color scheme when she was in Kwanon's body, which seems weird to do unless they decided to memory hole Kwanon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digging both the creative teams and the teams themselves. Definitely will be giving them all a go. Very excited about X-Factor and X-Force. A classic X-Factor lineup would be nice.

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's Kwanon unless they're going back to Elizabeth's color scheme when she was in Kwanon's body, which seems weird to do unless they decided to memory hole Kwanon.

The link in the article takes you to Kwannon's page when you click on Psylocke. I'd imagine that's intentional.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 15, 2024

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I haven't read a Gail Simone book since Agent X, so I dunno what she's like lately. Has the characters I actually like so I'm obligated to at least give it a look.

Simone did a Domino book a few years back that I really enjoyed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The teams are pretty cool to me, creative and lineups. Inmate X is the thing I'm most nervous about, if it's an Xavier solo, it's really going to depend on who the creative team is.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Bad sign imo.

Eh, even fans of Kate's pirate era reflexively call her Kitty. I wouldn't read too much into it. I'd take her official bio link calling her Kate as a good sign.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nobody is ever, ever going to call her kate pryde

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't really care about the x-men in general and have mainly just kinda been interested in the krakoa era of the x-men, and gillen's work has been keeping me in, so i don't actually see myself sticking with this new lineup. that said, i still will at least give the new stuff a couple months to see if it's any good

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Brevoort teased that there’s a reason why the writer of Avengers is also writing X-Men.

Has anyone else written both books at the same time besides Stan Lee?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Roy Thomas did in the late 60s/early 70s. Mark Waid technically did for a second in 1996 when he wrote Avengers 400-402 overlapping with his brief stint on X-Men during Onslaught. Larry Hama's eight issues of Avengers in the early 1990s overlapped with him writing Wolverine, but not the X-Men proper. Bob Harras wrote Avengers for a few years while also editing (and effectively writing by the end of that period) the X-Books.

Reasonably sure that is it outside of like including two simultaneous side books (Gerry Duggan writing Deadpool & Uncanny Avengers simultaneously, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Secret Avengers runs overlapping) that became pretty common in recent years of having 5+ X-Books and 5+ Avengers books going on simultaneously.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if that means that there's going to be some common thread between Avengers and X-Men to lead to another crossover with them, or it's where the next big story will be built up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Claremont wrote some Avengers stuff during his Uncanny run, but wasn't a regular writer. The Avengers annual that had Rogue stealing Ms Marvel's powers was probably the most consequential bit (which is pretty consequential).

Caros
May 14, 2008

site posted:

i don't really care about the x-men in general and have mainly just kinda been interested in the krakoa era of the x-men, and gillen's work has been keeping me in, so i don't actually see myself sticking with this new lineup. that said, i still will at least give the new stuff a couple months to see if it's any good

Pretty much where I'm at. I picked up the line with the Krakoa era in part because I really enjoyed the world building and shakeup it allowed. To just cut that is a massive knife in the side of my interest.

New stuff might be good, but I'm wary.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Air Skwirl posted:

Claremont wrote some Avengers stuff during his Uncanny run, but wasn't a regular writer. The Avengers annual that had Rogue stealing Ms Marvel's powers was probably the most consequential bit (which is pretty consequential).

LMFAO, I wonder if that's how they're gonna reset that particular status quo. :allears:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not that ms marvel

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Caros posted:

Pretty much where I'm at. I picked up the line with the Krakoa era in part because I really enjoyed the world building and shakeup it allowed. To just cut that is a massive knife in the side of my interest.

New stuff might be good, but I'm wary.

The X-men were my favorite, but Deadly Genesis, Manifest Destiny and the O5 worked together to eventually get me to drop it all together. Krakoa pretty much revived the old love and I can feel my interest dwindling again. But I'm gonna give the new stuff a chance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Will check out the books. Will follow what I enjoy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This has to be the ugliest drat art to be announcing your highly dreaded anticipated regressive fresh cool reboot with.

Apologies to the talented creators but there's no way this doesn't remind everyone of the bad old Decimation days where you'd just shove a bunch of talented creators on a bunch of differently-adjectived books with the most random assortment of X-characters scattered to the most throw-dart-at-map cities to do the most generic centrist stories about how bigotry is bad, I guess? We're really going from immortal pirate queens and free love nationbuilding to the old meat and potatoes outcast paramilitary groups again and, like, schoolteaching in Chicago.

Also some awful timing to put this out right off of the lackluster FotHoX issue we just got. Like, the only reason I was kind of hyped of Fall of X was because, obviously, it was going to be the second act finale, darkest-before-the-dawn part of the arc that leads to our heroes coming back stronger than ever to take back what they lost. But apparently what's actually happening is that they just lose everything, period, and we move on from everything they accomplished like it was a bad rash, just like the numerous other times this exact thing has happened to the X-Men because this is still a corporate comic line that'll happily cut off its nose to spite its face. MCU fans rejoice, I suppose.

Ah, I'm being uncharitable to MCU fans. Even they would probably be put off by this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is this your guys' first line reboot or what

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

site posted:

not that ms marvel

Yes I know, but it just seems like such a golden opportunity for an ironic in-joke.

Speaking of Carol - I wish I could find it, but there was a twitter post a while back poking fun at the fact that Carol and Rogue have buried the hatched like 5 times now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

is this your guys' first line reboot or what
I think a lot of us would be a lot more optimistic about this if it wasn't our third or fourth aimless status quo reset.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I think a lot of us would be a lot more optimistic about this if it wasn't our third or fourth aimless status quo reset.

What exactly is aimless about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

LMFAO, I wonder if that's how they're gonna reset that particular status quo. :allears:

Carol Danvers was Ms Marvel in 1980 whatever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

What exactly is aimless about it
"The X-Men are fractured in the aftermath of the end of Krakoa, scattered across the globe without a central base of operation"

We did this in the aftermath of Morrison, we did this in the aftermath of Messiah Complex and Utopia and the Jean Grey School and the central park school and everything else besides. Mutants finding a stable cool thing and then having it blown up and getting scattered to the winds and then having to relocate to find another new stable thing and having that get blown up...is so hackneyed as a concept that Hickman outright lampshaded it multiple times in HoXPoX and literally called it "the lost years." Krakoa was created a direct response and subversion of that specific beat and now they're playing it completely straight, again.

Also, reading these pitches put me in like three different mini-comas. Scott and Illyana really going from War Captains of their immortal post-scarcity society to rummaging around in Alaska trying to find mutants with Cerebra. Again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't actually have a problem with Scott's line to Gregor. He really does believe that everyone can get along if they care to try.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think anything about what the previews said for the line sounds all that interesting, but I also don't think there's any version of the next thing after krakoa that anyone would be able to come up with that most readers wouldn't viscerally hate for at least 6 months short of handing the whole thing over to Al Ewing

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

"The X-Men are fractured in the aftermath of the end of Krakoa, scattered across the globe without a central base of operation"

That's not aimless. That's specifically saying the direction the line is taking. Three core books, each one touching on an aspect that the X-Men are known for. Uncanny is the super-hero one, X-Men is the rescuing those that are in need and outcasts one, and Exceptional is the teaching concept.

You can say you don't like the direction, that's fine, but it's not aimless. Wildly overreacting to the nature of comic books is a way to be miserable. Hey, guess what, the X-Men have all united on an island before Hickman. Then everyone drifted apart. Then they all united on an island.

It's the nature of comic books. They've got some great talent on the titles and that's the important thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krakoa was loving boring as hell man, and a massive put-off for a lot of people who dont post in this particular thread

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alaois posted:

Krakoa was loving boring as hell man, and a massive put-off for a lot of people who dont post in this particular thread
What was boring about it? They certainly did a lot of poo poo, however wise or not some of it may have been. If nothing else there will be a lot of shifts in character relationships.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

They've got some great talent on the titles and that's the important thing.
I think years and years of these stale copy-pasted reboots one after the other, over at both companies, have shown that even the most talented creators aren't enough to save a bad line-wide premise. Fraction and Brubaker were on hand in the 2010s. Hickman and Gillen were involved in AvX. Jeff Lemire during IvX. And it's not as if none of them did anything good, but the premise was still bad and there's a reason readers look back on an entire decade of X-books with cringing and sad sighs.

Again, all love and respect to McKay and Simone and Eve Ewing and whoever else they bring on, who are being given an awesome opportunity to write the coolest superheroes around. But this initial red hot sales pitch opening shot of "[insert character] leading a team of feared and hated outlaws in [insert city]" repeated 3 times is doing nothing but saving me money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sorry you're gonna have to speak for yourself about the Fraction, Brubaker, and Gillen runs. I enjoyed them all.

I think Bendis had a good run as well. The only recent run that I think most everyone would agree on being bad was Rosenberg.