Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Volmarias posted:

Large Language Model. It's what the current version of AI is based on.

Don't recall if it was this thread, but someone broke down how LLMs work, with the take away being "this is the very fancy version of the suggested auto complete text on your phone keyboard or your draft email, except that they change some variables so that you don't get stuck in a loop (and other stuff too but basically that concept). Train it on enough text and it can guess what's next, but only because it's seen things like that before."

So, fancy auto complete. That's how I describe it now. Fancy auto complete. It's also how the generative image models work, and why they keep making hosed up things (the model literally doesn't know what it's actually putting in, just that a hand probably goes here and 6 sausage like appendages are adjacent to a hand and-)

They take the entirety of reddit (and we know it's reddit) and find a way to tag every very words so that when you offer a prompt it and it will break your prompt down into tokens which it searches its database for and creates a response ala autocomplete to just match what you asked for with what was already written.

I knows nothing beyond it's tags. It only understands the relationship between tags in that they have a frequency to appear next to eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I hope they replace everything with "AI" as quickly as possible. Even if it didn't meaningfully shift the paradigm, it would be morbidly hilarious.

Why yes, I am an outdoor laborer with no faith in our systems.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Main Paineframe posted:

Just because it's not wages doesn't mean it's just prices being cranked up for no reason whatsoever - food costs and rents have risen significantly over the last few years, while supply chains have been quite shaky during that same time period. The former has a big impact on pricing in the notoriously low-margin restaurant business. And while fast food usually has better margins than regular restaurants, they build those high margins via highly optimized supply chains, which tend to be very vulnerable to supply chain issues.

Also, raising prices for the sake of higher profits isn't, by itself, gouging. There's nothing particularly unethical about charging more for non-essential goods. If the fast food companies have increased prices excessively, sales will slump and then they'll lower prices. We're already seeing that with McDonalds, which announced price cuts last month due to lower-than-expected sales growth. Though it's worth noting that the sales issues were mostly overseas. Apparently, American consumers are happy enough to keep shelling out for those $12 Big Mac combos as long as Ronald McDonald's meme game is on point (the Grimace Shake was apparently a big boost to that quarter's sales).

But in that particular case, McDonalds has been very open about trying to pursue more upper middle-class customers, and it has generally worked. That's why they went all in on McCafe back around then, and why they announced they would model new menu offerings based on Smashburger back in 2015. While this quarter has lower-than-expected sales growth, generally McD Gross Profit have been going up massively since they started this in 2015.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BRJurgis posted:

I hope they replace everything with "AI" as quickly as possible. Even if it didn't meaningfully shift the paradigm, it would be morbidly hilarious.

Why yes, I am an outdoor laborer with no faith in our systems.

I don't. I understand the urge but the result is just depressing overall. Sort of like the fad of "hoverboards" leading to the bizarre PSA that the NYC MTA had to put out

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
If you have a Glassdoor account, probably a good time to delete that poo poo because they are adding people's real name and other personal information to accounts without your consent.

https://mastodon.sdf.org/@rhialto/112090738952458213

quote:

PSA: Time to delete your Glassdoor account

The TL;DR is: Glassdoor now requires your real name and

*will add it to older accounts without your consent if they learn it,*

and your only option is to delete your account. They do not care that this puts people at risk with their employers. They do not care that this seems to run counter to their own data-privacy policies.

Full text at https://cellio.dreamwidth.org/2024/03/

To delete, you need to use the form at the bottom of their data policy page.
https://help.glassdoor.com/s/privacyrequest?language=en_US
Choose "delete my personal data", which also deletes your account.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember making an account once to leave a super terribad review for a company I worked for. I'm pretty sure I used a fake name and a burner gmail but I have no idea and now I can't read the reviews because it only lets me read 1 page before asking me to log in.

Well anyway is there a way to make sure I wasn't a dumbass and used my real name without, you know, making an account?

E:

Found out I had an account tied to a real email that had no reviews on it. Tried to delete it and lol

quote:

We have received your Glassdoor personal data request. To process this request, we need you to first verify your email address. Please note that this request will apply for Glassdoor and Fishbowl Services.

Verify my email address

So to delete my poo poo I need to verify my email, which means they'll open an account for me at Fishbowl whatever that is. The delete data option also says that they'll delete OR anonymize data.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 15, 2024

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sounds similar to Facebook in the EU, where to invoke the right to be forgotten and remove your shadow profile you have to make an account and give them a scan of your ID first

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc in order to activate your account so you can read reviews it also makes you leave one for a company you worked at and then someone verifies it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Volmarias posted:

I don't. I understand the urge but the result is just depressing overall. Sort of like the fad of "hoverboards" leading to the bizarre PSA that the NYC MTA had to put out

I don't know, it already sucks to interact with most services. Making accounts, automated phone menus, downloading apps... Least they could do is go full on mask off Idiocracy. Collapse with levity.

Are the Segway/hoverboards a big thing? I've only ever seen one, but I live in the sticks. (they are fun when you're drunk!)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My favorite thing about Glassdoor recently has been their Fishbowl thing, which I think was a semi-recent acquisition? At any rate, I work at a smallish company, though big enough to be on both Glassdoor and Blind. The company board on Blind is a ghost town, a post maybe every 6 months. Since this Fishbowl thing started up, I've noticed two things that seem like hilarious and shady growth tactics. I'll get emails about some new post, and the email shows, every time, that there's 1 comment on it, and every time, there are 0 comments on it. I know Hanlon's razor tells me that this is just a bug, but I'm pretty inclined to go with a growth tactic to make me more likely to look at it since it's had engagement and has more content not shown in the email.

The better thing: despite the Blind board being empty, the Glassdoor thing has a pretty regular cadence of posts (roughly weekly), and not a single one of them is specific to my company in any way. Totally generic. I'm absolutely convinced they're just auto generating content. A sample:

"Any suggestions for tablets that offer similar features to an iPad but at a more reasonable price point?"

"Are you a fan of the chatter that tends to happen at the begining of a message or meeting with another person? Or do you prefer to just cut right ot the chase?"

"How far do you think you can get in your career as an introvert? I just can't see a world in which I'm comfortable doing all the things that seem required to put yourself forward. "

"Sooo what if you've been very conservative about PTO and then suddenly start taking a lot of trips and random days? Are they going to flag me? Not sure if I should mention that to anyone?"

"Are you involved you in your investments in terms of what the portfolio is? Not sure if it's worth me putting in the effort to follow exactly what's going where. Have some crypto investments on the side, feel like my time is better spent following those"

"Anyone else feeling burnt out?"

Since it's anonymous, I'm guessing they figured this was fine because how is anyone to know that nobody real actually asked the question?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I literally can't believe that people sign up to blind with their company emails and then post poo poo about their company on the site. Like there's no way that it's 100% anonymous.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I literally can't believe that people sign up to blind with their company emails and then post poo poo about their company on the site. Like there's no way that it's 100% anonymous.

Neither can I, but boy is it sometimes useful that they do, as someone who likes to keep up on what people are willing to say when they think they're anonymous.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Case in point, someone recently posted a vehemently queerphobic, transphobic screed as their review of the company we work for, using language typically reserved for the kinds of internet pits where mass shooters are bred.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Steve French posted:

The better thing: despite the Blind board being empty, the Glassdoor thing has a pretty regular cadence of posts (roughly weekly), and not a single one of them is specific to my company in any way. Totally generic. I'm absolutely convinced they're just auto generating content. A sample:

Might not be entirely automated. There are consulting services out there that will have actual human beings fluff out content like this by just working through chunks of their userbase and picking generic content to post or drop in a response from a script.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Fishbowl wanted me to sign up to get paid to post on it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I absolutely understand why Glassdoor wants you to register an account and leave a review in order to see other reviews, since otherwise you really only get people who absolutely hate the company leaving reviews. I say this as someone who absolutely refuses to do so.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I rather like the posts where the guys are like "I'm healthy, fit, work out, and I make 200k TC why won't women date me?"

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
They're making those posts on glassdoor, under their real name? :lol:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

You'd have to be an absolute loving idiot to sign up for a site like that with your PII. I tried signing up once and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Morrow posted:

I absolutely understand why Glassdoor wants you to register an account and leave a review in order to see other reviews, since otherwise you really only get people who absolutely hate the company leaving reviews. I say this as someone who absolutely refuses to do so.

I think it's fine, and would have stayed fine, except for the news that Glassdoor is asking for PII and now every account that signs up (and old accounts that accept the new terms) will be associated with that PII *and* a review of the company they work for unless they're smart enough to write something that sounds plausible but isn't real.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 15, 2024

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

Are the Segway/hoverboards a big thing? I've only ever seen one, but I live in the sticks. (they are fun when you're drunk!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8elK8Go-3g

I know several people with similar EUC (electric unicycle) devices like this. Long range, quick, easy to pick up and carry into buildings, and I'd imagine extremely dangerous.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

MixMasterMalaria posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8elK8Go-3g

I know several people with similar EUC (electric unicycle) devices like this. Long range, quick, easy to pick up and carry into buildings, and I'd imagine extremely dangerous.

4000 dollars for that thing, that could buy a brand new actual motorcycle.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Lmao I have a coworker who bought one of those (maybe not that one, but one of those electric unicycles) and the first ride he took on it shattered his wrist and forearm in a crash and couldn't ride it again for like 6 months.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mercury_Storm posted:

you can get one for $250, that market is a race to the bottom ever since the segway patent expired. lithium fires aplenty

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

Lmao I have a coworker who bought one of those (maybe not that one, but one of those electric unicycles) and the first ride he took on it shattered his wrist and forearm in a crash and couldn't ride it again for like 6 months.
There's a pretty famous video of a guy riding one on the highway and wiping out while trying to show off at full speed.

I'd definitely get a motorcycle before riding one of those fuckin things, they look absolutely terrifying.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

You can ride these things a lot of places where riding a motorcycle would be impossible and you can just pick it up and carry it inside so you don't have to park or you could use it for last mile after taking it on the subway, plus most of them are not $4k.

mobby_6kl posted:

There's a pretty famous video of a guy riding one on the highway and wiping out while trying to show off at full speed.

I'd definitely get a motorcycle before riding one of those fuckin things, they look absolutely terrifying.

Yeah I've seen that video. My friends have offered to let me ride but no thanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Well like, just don’t do that poo poo?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

These things have a unique fail case. They use regenerative braking so if you fully charge it and start at the top of a hill the brakes could stop working completely.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Vegetable posted:

They’re two sides of the same coin. The difference is happy hours means you pay more most of the time, whereas surge pricing means you pay more some of the time. It’s purely marketing that you think there’s some fundamental difference.

One key difference that isn't pure marketing is that surge pricing increases arbitrarily without limit (or at least with a limit unknown to the user). If I order an Uber to leave a concert and all of the drivers are busy, I can either wait for a few hours or vastly more than what I'd expect normally a ride. And the amounts in surge pricing aren't usually small percentages - it's not like 'oh, you might pay $25 instead of $20 for a ride', it's more 'you might have to pay $250 instead of $20'. With 'happy hour' pricing, I know that my combo at McDonalds or beer at the bar won't cost more than the menu price. It might be lower if there's a 'happy hour' going on or if there's a 'no one in the drive through, offer a discount' promotion, but I know that I won't pay more than $8.29 + tax for that Big Mac meal (the cost in my area) in the worst case.

So if I'm going out to grab lunch, I can probably only go to one place, as getting in line to see the menu takes up a large portion of my lunch hour. If I go to McDonalds (who's using Happy Hour pricing in this example) know I'm paying under $10 for my lunch, and might get an even lower cost. If I go to Wendy's (who's using Surge pricing in this example) I have no idea what I'll pay, and using Uber-level surging, could easily end up with the choice of having to skip lunch to get back to the office on time or paying $50 or more for my combo.

That's a significant difference between 'fixed price with occasional discounts' and 'fixed price with occasional increases'.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I got free tickets to a thing some months ago. It cost me $20 to Uber in and $70 to Uber back home. $20 being normalish for the trip I made.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

For surge pricing on Uber, how does it work for the drivers, do they get the same flat rate as if they done an ordinary 3pm Tue arvo bog standard fare?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
It's meant to bring out more drivers, so they get an increase

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a guy who rides one of those electric wheely things on the multiuse path near me, but he wears a motorcycle helmet, head-to-toe black leather with various red LED highlights, and some kind of personal speaker system that blasts rock music while he rides. It is cyberpunk AF.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rather like the posts where the guys are like "I'm healthy, fit, work out, and I make 200k TC why won't women date me?"

Blind is a cool idea in theory but it’s just littered with this humblebrag garbage

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ianmacdo posted:

These things have a unique fail case. They use regenerative braking so if you fully charge it and start at the top of a hill the brakes could stop working completely.

Physics can always find a way to gently caress you up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tiny Timbs posted:

This but for 90% of things from this past decade

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

For surge pricing on Uber, how does it work for the drivers, do they get the same flat rate as if they done an ordinary 3pm Tue arvo bog standard fare?

The drivers get paid more for surge-priced fares. That's the point of surge pricing for Uber - the drivers can see where surge pricing is in effect, and will naturally tend to head to those areas in hopes that they'll get surge fares.

Rather than reducing demand by discouraging people from booking rides, surge pricing is meant to increase supply by attracting drivers to areas that don't have enough drivers to meet demand.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

nachos posted:

Blind is a cool idea in theory but it’s just littered with this humblebrag garbage

The true garbage is whatever the gently caress this poo poo is:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I had the signup confirmation email blocked by IT filters so I'm free from seeing poo poo like this :smug:

:qq:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is it just me or have websites over the years gated/walled off some basic info(phone numbers, prices, HQ location), ? like either the info is signup or account gated.

like at best I want to say this is a bot scrapper counter measure. prevents bad netwroks from getting biz numbers/email addresses. which fair, but at worse is just another dark pattern to juice signup numbers and get more data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhazonLink posted:

is it just me or have websites over the years gated/walled off some basic info(phone numbers, prices, HQ location), ? like either the info is signup or account gated.

like at best I want to say this is a bot scrapper counter measure. prevents bad netwroks from getting biz numbers/email addresses. which fair, but at worse is just another dark pattern to juice signup numbers and get more data.

I haven't noticed it and listing that sort of contact info publicly is a legal requirement in a lot of places. Maybe it's more common for smaller companies or local shops? For big tech companies I think hiding any sort of contact info or HQ address would get them smacked down for doing so.