Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saladman posted:

Sure, but personally I’m not convinced that "Ottoman Empire is Rome" line of thinking, and I don’t think many other people do either. Of course the East-West break was more gradual, but Constantinople in 800 AD was ethnically, linguistically, geographically, and culturally descended from a different civilization than that of Ancient/Imperial Rome, even if culturally they were essentially cousins.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just a prank bro, I have no strong opinions one way or the other, on what is essentially a semantic debate.

I think I'd actually be more likely to take issue with the 'Empire' part. 'City-state' is probably a more apt descriptor. It's why I'm sceptical of that map that was posted earlier showing that Central Greece etc. were part of the Roman Empire for five billion years, since the (Eastern) Roman/Byzantine Empire did not actually control most of what is now Greece for much of its existence.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

Sure, but personally I’m not convinced that "Ottoman Empire is Rome" line of thinking, and I don’t think many other people do either. Of course the East-West break was more gradual, but Constantinople in 800 AD was ethnically, linguistically, geographically, and culturally descended from a different civilization than that of Ancient/Imperial Rome, even if culturally they were essentially cousins.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lots of people are wrong about things

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Latinoamerica + Guinea Equaltorial + Spain + Filipinas = Latin Empire

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐎𝐁𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐆

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. Latin Philippines?

+: The name of the country, people's last names, Catholic majority

-: Tagalog and not Spanish is the lingua franca, even besides that English is more widely studied and known than Spanish, so heavily influenced by the United States that it's basically an American protectorate

I rate this claim 'half true', maybe they could have associate status in the Latin Empire.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm. Latin Philippines?

+: The name of the country, people's last names, Catholic majority

-: Tagalog and not Spanish is the lingua franca, even besides that English is more widely studied and known than Spanish, so heavily influenced by the United States that it's basically an American protectorate

I rate this claim 'half true', maybe they could have associate status in the Latin Empire.

How popular is Dragon Ball Z?

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I've been to the Philippines and asked people to try and practice my terrible Spanish, and everyone was like "lol lmao why the hell would I know Spanish?"

According to Wikipedia it's 400k Spanish speakers, mostly learned as a second language, in a population of 114 million people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest the next one should be Final Rome but within a decade we'd be on Final Rome XIII-2 Caligula's Return

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlegmish posted:

I think I'd actually be more likely to take issue with the 'Empire' part. 'City-state' is probably a more apt descriptor. It's why I'm sceptical of that map that was posted earlier showing that Central Greece etc. were part of the Roman Empire for five billion years, since the (Eastern) Roman/Byzantine Empire did not actually control most of what is now Greece for much of its existence.

This is incorrect. The empire was not reduced to anything close to a city-state until the very end, and modern Greece was held for most of the state's existence.

There is a case to be made that empire is not an apt description because empires rule over conquered foreign peoples, and the medieval Roman state became something similar to a modern nation-state. Anthony Kaldellis goes into depth on this in Romanland.

The Roman empire was the largest, richest, most powerful state in Europe for most of the middle ages. Even after it would get smacked down hard, they had an incredible ability to come back. Until the last time anyway.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 14, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

and the last time they basically got menendezed by venice.

The Byzantine Republic is also a good read

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saladman posted:

Tell me the ways in which the Empire of 800 AD was different from the Empire of 375 AD.

It is geographically smaller, and the aristocrats generally speak Greek, rather than both Latin and Greek, but a "different civilization" this does not make, especially when the cultural self-identification has not changed (within the core areas of the later Empire).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Every time the capital changes, it's a new nation. This is why the EU has not managed to become a coherent nation. Also handily explains that the USSR is a different nation than tsarist Russia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Giving this whole discussion a think, I realize we're severely under-counting the Romes of the western branch. There's Milan, Ravenna, Aachen, a bunch of shorter term Romes in the HRE, Prague, Vienna, then Paris immediately followed by London, followed by Washington. That's 9 Romes at least, and likely far more.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is incorrect. The empire was not reduced to anything close to a city-state until the very end, and modern Greece was held for most of the state's existence.

There's a case to be made about the times when the Empire lost effective control of Thessaly and Macedonia, like during the Slavic migrations or during the First Bulgarian Empire. Modern Greece was a backwater region in the period and the border there was fluid. But even accounting for that it would still add up to over 1000 years, maybe 1200, i haven't counted. Attica and the Peloponnese on the other hand only slipped out of control in the aftermath of the 4th crusade.

VVV I meant temporarily

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 14, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

After the restoration, Morea/the Peloponnese remained with the Empire until the end and then some, falling to the Ottomans in 1460.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Frionnel posted:

There's a case to be made about the times when the Empire lost effective control of Thessaly and Macedonia, like during the Slavic migrations or during the First Bulgarian Empire. Modern Greece was a backwater region in the period and the border there was fluid. But even accounting for that it would still add up to over 1000 years, maybe 1200, i haven't counted. Attica and the Peloponnese on the other hand only slipped out of control in the aftermath of the 4th crusade.

That's why I said most. They do lose control over Greece a few times and retake it. That makes me wonder if there's any part of the eastern empire that was not lost at some point, there's nothing I can think of offhand since they even get booted out of Constantinople once before the end. Maybe some Aegean islands nobody could be bothered with.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's why I said most. They do lose control over Greece a few times and retake it. That makes me wonder if there's any part of the eastern empire that was not lost at some point, there's nothing I can think of offhand since they even get booted out of Constantinople once before the end. Maybe some Aegean islands nobody could be bothered with.

Turns out Lesbos is Rome

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Turns out Trebizond was the true Rome all along.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Byzantine posted:

Turns out Lesbos is Rome

I read an anecdote from when the modern Greek state was expanding into the Aegean islands as the Ottoman Empire shrank.

The government would send people out to theses small islands to inform them that they were now Greek instead of ottoman - and just get confusion in return. Those islanders didn't care who these Greeks were. They were Romanoi.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Perhaps we are all the true Rome awaiting the restoration of universal empire. :agesilaus:

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Byzantine posted:

Turns out Lesbos is Rome

This... this is a Rome I can believe in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the real Rome was denarii we made along the way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

♫ Rome if you want to
Rome around the world ♪

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
a river you shouldn't cross at risk of great political or personal strife
once one of the most populous cities in the region, reduced through depredation and plunder
surrounded by hills but definitely not mountains

buddy, rome is very clearly the cleveland, ohio

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 15, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Tree Goat posted:

once one of the most populous cities in the region, reduced through depredation and plunder
surrounded by hills but definitely not mountains

Wrong as gently caress. Rome, Ohio is on the exact opposite of the state.

Cleveland is, if anything, Constantinople. Everyone keeps thinking it's the king of cities even though it keeps catching on fire every few years.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

♫ Rome if you want to
Rome around the world ♪

The B-52's hailed from Athens, Georgia...

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

the east side/west side difference really hasn’t meant much since they built the interstates

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

soviet elsa posted:

Rome died when everyone started wearing pants.

the spirit of rome lives on in the heart of everyone who works from home

Private Speech posted:

the city of Rome went from having more than a million people to less than twenty thousand living among the ruins

this is fuckin nutso. postapocalyptic as hell

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

redleader posted:

the spirit of rome lives on in the heart of everyone who works from home

Bright side is it’s the reason we still have all those cool archaeological sites. A population site remaining busy usually means monuments getting pillaged for stone and building materials

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it helps that the pope was always there and kept a lot of the cool poo poo for himself

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

redleader posted:

It was a remarkable quick process since Rome still had 200,000+ people living in it around 500 and then was left with a tenth of that after the Gothic War and Plague of Justinian.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Map showing all countries with a territory dispute...and inventing a new one with regard to Svalbard.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I have no idea what the Czech one is supposed to be, there could be one with Poland at a stretch maybe but that is not coloured in? I can't think of anything with Slovakia and Wikipedia is no help either.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That map needs a date. I'm pretty sure the Danish dispute was our lengthy war with Canada, which was resolved last year I think.
Unless you want to count my claim on "Southern Sweden".

In a couple of years, we're gonna have a dispute over Greenland with USA, but that's all hypothetical right now

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

That map needs a date. I'm pretty sure the Danish dispute was our lengthy war with Canada, which was resolved last year I think.
Unless you want to count my claim on "Southern Sweden".

In a couple of years, we're gonna have a dispute over Greenland with USA, but that's all hypothetical right now
We have a disputes with both Sweden and Germany.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We have a disputes with both Sweden and Germany.

Actual, serious disputes? Where and why? I mean, aside from Hamburg being rightful Danish clay and poo poo. I think the Swedish border is quite clear by post-Napoleonic design.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think its the pink ones that have territorial disputes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Belgium should be coloured in because we have massive territorial disputes with ourselves.