Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'd argue that making one of your video editors edit hours of CCTV footage of you slinging dong in your house because it's relevant to a video is if not full on sex pest, at least sex pest adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheOneVader posted:

Same, the last LTT video I watched was their "apology" and I used to watch every single video. I miss having some fun nerdy videos on in the background and I haven't found anything that quite fills the niche.

I'd recommend Dawid Does Tech Stuff. His last video was about using a cellphone cooler on a desktop CPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

wait is linus a sexpest or something?

no but lmg apparently has a highly toxic and misogynistic company culture that linus and yvonne did preictally nothing to address, perhaps because some of their friends were perpetrators, like james (big shock)

edit: the fact that james is still there tells you how seriously lmg took those allegations too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 15, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Something I don't ever recall seeing ITT is The Full Nerd by PC World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrguocoAgN8
I wouldn't say its an indie as other tech youtubers, but I do enjoy a lot of their shows, and they even have Will Smith of Maximum PC from time to time and Gordon Mah Ung (who's been on medical leave due to cancer). Its a pretty chill group of people and they tend to have guests from other channels mentioned here.

I slept on this channel for a while because I thought it would be to corporatized or something, but nah, its a pretty fun time and serves as a good supplement for other tech news you'd be taking in. Their discord server is rather small but also a similar vibe of decent people. Its neat to talk to a few of the hosts directly without a lot of fanfare around it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I’ve been watching tons of Techmoan and technology connections

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Don't sleep on cathode ray dude. Deep dives into very interesting tech , like norton system commander https://youtu.be/f6gEDUigoXw?si=8JbTzTxsdXyjWa9e

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

theultimo posted:

Don't sleep on cathode ray dude. Deep dives into very interesting tech , like norton system commander https://youtu.be/f6gEDUigoXw?si=8JbTzTxsdXyjWa9e

Id swear I've seen that guy just walking around Seattle but then I remember we're all like that here

Anyway pity about Linus, I still think he's hot but I can live without cocomelon for people who have a favorite text editor

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Tech Tangents is fun and does vintage tech preservation and the like. Level1Techs is good, and Wendell is knowledgeable (and a much better presenter these days now that he's not shackled to that creepy chud Logan). Usagi Electric is a dude who restores, among other things, little-known 70s minicomputers.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

no, but ltt basically stole a company's prototype hardware and sold it

e: actually one of the employees is a sexpest, but i dont remember if madison actually said who it was

I hope Riley isn't creepy behind the scenes. He genuinely seems like a good guy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

no but lmg apparently has a highly toxic and misogynistic company culture that linus and yvonne did preictally nothing to address, perhaps because some of their friends were perpetrators, like james (big shock)

edit: the fact that james is still there tells you how seriously lmg took those allegations too.

Hey now, they fired that one guy who made a throwaway comment about benchmarking! They take it super cereal!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

I'd argue that making one of your video editors edit hours of CCTV footage of you slinging dong in your house because it's relevant to a video is if not full on sex pest, at least sex pest adjacent.

Eh, no this is a big stretch. Only Americans are this crazy tight assed & immature over some nudity. There is nothing sexual whatsoever about a stressed out dude walking down some steps at 3am unless there's a new stressdom kink I don't know about.

Whoever was gaslighting and saying the hosed up stuff to Madison about "just go on a date with x to ease the tension" should be thrown into a giant blender tho.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I've been liking Green Ham Gaming's output as of late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iucDsKlb0yk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_jfhnNDck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unzYXB_6SxA

Something incredibly wholesome about all the effort he puts into showcasing this extremely low-end hardware

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Michael MJD also does deep dives into weird old software and tech that I enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/@MichaelMJD

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Eh, no this is a big stretch. Only Americans are this crazy tight assed & immature over some nudity. There is nothing sexual whatsoever about a stressed out dude walking down some steps at 3am unless there's a new stressdom kink I don't know about.

Also there are editing techniques to censor the footage without having to see any dong, and their editor said they were doing that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Did James actually do anything tho, or did a bunch of people on the internet decide “James is absolutely the guy Madison was talking about” because they think he has the vibe of a dude that used to bully them in school?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Also there are editing techniques to censor the footage without having to see any dong, and their editor said they were doing that.

Right, they went over how that was edited. They started with the entire video blurred and shrunk the blur area until it only covered his dongus

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Did James actually do anything tho, or did a bunch of people on the internet decide “James is absolutely the guy Madison was talking about” because they think he has the vibe of a dude that used to bully them in school?

An LMG employee secretly recorded and leaked the meeting that happened after Madison left that James absolutely did not take seriously. https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15t1mzn/mandatory_meeting_the_after_madisons_departure/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

An LMG employee secretly recorded and leaked the meeting that happened after Madison left that James absolutely did not take seriously. https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15t1mzn/mandatory_meeting_the_after_madisons_departure/

oh that’s really lovely then

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I will say that one former employee who seemed to be on Madison's side also said people should lay off James. So while that was a lovely thing to do at a meeting about sexual harassment, beyond that, people are jumping to conclusions.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Gao posted:

I will say that one former employee who seemed to be on Madison's side also said people should lay off James. So while that was a lovely thing to do at a meeting about sexual harassment, beyond that, people are jumping to conclusions.

sure however people did also post his "standup" routine and I remember them doing a film review of borat 2 where james led the cries of "entrapment" on behalf of rudi guilianni so you can probably feel free to go with yout gut instinct

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s fine to just say you don’t like the guy.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

sure however people did also post his "standup" routine and I remember them doing a film review of borat 2 where james led the cries of "entrapment" on behalf of rudi guilianni so you can probably feel free to go with yout gut instinct

Yeah these are clear textbook examples of a serial sexual harasser and not at all a completely insane fantasy post by someone with a bone to pick. We should ignore the testimony of the person who actually worked there + added further credibility to many aspects of Madison's story.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

sounds good to me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Can I throw in a recommendation for C Lab Retro?
He works primarily with turn-of-the-millennia enterprise gear (although he also has newer stuff in his homelab rack), and also the occasional dive into home entertainment and distributing signals across cable TV in the home.
The most interesting thing he's done is the Sun Ray series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BW-mbC7Xag

theultimo posted:

CRD is loving great, can't recommend enough.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I used those Sun Rays way back when and they were pretty cool tbh. Just slot your card in the thin client and bam, your workstation desktop popped up.

But then it turned out our IT guy was secretly banging the Sun rep who sold us all this lmao.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

beep by grandpa posted:

I went from watching a lot of linus' videos thruout the week ever since 2019 to stopping completely cold turkey when the Madison tweets came out :thumbsup:

same, can't imagine i'm missing much

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Can I throw in a recommendation for C Lab Retro?
He works primarily with turn-of-the-millennia enterprise gear (although he also has newer stuff in his homelab rack), and also the occasional dive into home entertainment and distributing signals across cable TV in the home.
The most interesting thing he's done is the Sun Ray series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BW-mbC7Xag

Big fan of clabretro.

Also very good in the same kind of way is The Serial Port. https://youtube.com/@theserialport . Their documentary on the PIX Firewall was great.

https://youtu.be/GLrfqtf4txw

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Theophany posted:

Hey now, they fired that one guy who made a throwaway comment about benchmarking! They take it super cereal!

Did that really happen? Dude didn't deserve that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Whitest Russian posted:

Corporate culture loves a scapegoat

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

priznat posted:

I used those Sun Rays way back when and they were pretty cool tbh. Just slot your card in the thin client and bam, your workstation desktop popped up.

But then it turned out our IT guy was secretly banging the Sun rep who sold us all this lmao.

But were the systems actually good? Isn't it better that just the IT guy gets screwed by the rep rather than the whole company?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Corporate culture loves a scapegoat
There's nothing corporate about Linus, because they at least pretend to be competent and professional whereas he's a small business owner tyrant who's weaponized being an idiot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Randalor posted:

But were the systems actually good? Isn't it better that just the IT guy gets screwed by the rep rather than the whole company?

I thought they were pretty good but I guess there was an element of fraud in that the IT guy colluded with his gf to purchase them. Dude was fired abruptly and we never found out why until later. That startup had a lot of drama, there was a schism with the founders that led to private investigators trailing one set of them to make sure they weren’t shopping the IP around lol.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Whitest Russian posted:

In fairness he was a tiresome loving bore about the "correct" way to make coffee in another video about LTT staff passions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Theophany posted:

In fairness he was a tiresome loving bore about the "correct" way to make coffee in another video about LTT staff passions.

Coffee dudes are just like that tho

See also: Jordan Schlansky from the Conan OBrien show

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

priznat posted:

Coffee dudes are just like that tho

See also: Jordan Schlansky from the Conan OBrien show

That's not always true, James Hoffman is the biggest coffee dude you've ever seen and just likes to see people enjoying coffee

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Volte posted:

DVD looks exactly as good as any other 480p video you can get your hands on, i.e. not very good. It was great on a standard definition CRT coming off of analog video, but beyond that it's not ideal. The leap to 1080p/Blu-ray is way more impactful than the VHS to DVD jump IMO. I still watch plenty of content at 1080p and even on a 4K TV it looks good.

the best innovation in DVD over VHS was not needing to rewind tapes anyway

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I always rewound my dvds

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What's a VHS? Is it like a mp3

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That's right, Jay