Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Read Drugs as Weapons Against Us and then imagine imperial states doing the same poo poo with hard liquor a hundred years earlier, distillation was a plague on mankind (unlike fermentation which is cool, good, and natural and produces the real drink of the working man: beer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If I can't enjoy a French 75 in a Friday afternoon then I guess I'm going to have to be a counter-revolutionary

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

cagliostr0 posted:

If I can't enjoy a French 75 in a Friday afternoon then I guess I'm going to have to be a counter-revolutionary

As I have repeatedly said, the issue is not literal champaign cocktails (good taste btw). Drinking, and drug habits are not evenly distributed across class lines, and as much as some people have circumstances and social conditions that allow them to have a nice drink once in a while, in general, particularly among the working class, alcohol and drugs are destructive.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

scary ghost dog posted:

yes, this is correct. even the ostensibly hardline marxists of the cspam subforum are crippled in this way. vice is perhaps the ultimate weapon of capital

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
as i said before this whole kerfuffle you guys wouldn't have psychedelics without the OSS and the sooner everyone admits that the better. you aren't a seeker. you aren't a shaman. your ancestors were stupid bog people or dirt farmers. they werent doing shrooms and getting "insights" they were dying of cholera

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
actually your ancestors might have actively displaced the people who actually did culturally use psychedelics. talk about being sore winners itt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OH MY BAD posted:

as i said before this whole kerfuffle you guys wouldn't have psychedelics without the OSS and the sooner everyone admits that the better. you aren't a seeker. you aren't a shaman. your ancestors were stupid bog people or dirt farmers. they werent doing shrooms and getting "insights" they were dying of cholera

hello, ever hear of heathenry? as an asatru i eat mushrooms to commune with the black sun as my ancestors did.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the straight edge/epstein thread

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
actually in a communist society id still be playing Shooters Gun and finding myself through mother earths healing medicine <3 i cant work at the steel foundry because i was diagnosed with adult ADHD

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
what if everyone in shining path... was high

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OH MY BAD posted:

what if everyone in shining path... was high

their base is in an area of Peru that is now the worlds #1 cocaine producing area so idk maybe

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Courage flight Crew

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

OH MY BAD posted:

actually in a communist society id still be playing Shooters Gun and finding myself through mother earths healing medicine <3 i cant work at the steel foundry because i was diagnosed with adult ADHD

people that work at steel foundries do drugs like everyone else

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they throw weed in the molten steel and hot box the whole factory

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I’m more of a California sober kinda guy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I guess my question in this whole deal is, how do you reconcile the argument that hard drugs should still be available for use with the problem of drugs coming from the deepest black heart of reactionary elements in the imperial core? If the Communist Intelligence Agency is still importing coke from Latin America and heroin from the Golden Triangle, what was the point of all this?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Scarabrae posted:

I’m more of a California sober kinda guy

I just searched California sober and the entire first page is Google Mental Health

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess my question in this whole deal is, how do you reconcile the argument that hard drugs should still be available for use with the problem of drugs coming from the deepest black heart of reactionary elements in the imperial core? If the Communist Intelligence Agency is still importing coke from Latin America and heroin from the Golden Triangle, what was the point of all this?

This started at "recreational psychedelic drug use"

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

Urban dictionary giving me 'sober except for weed'.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

This started at "recreational psychedelic drug use"

wah i dont wanna see how they make the sausage wah wah

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

gradenko_2000 posted:

they shouldn't. what are you joking? you think in an ideal workers governed society "all hard drugs should be available"?

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
your banana sources are from hosed up covert poo poo in guatemala, im not saying dont eat bananas. i eat bananas all the time. but you wouldnt have access to them without hosed up covert poo poo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OH MY BAD posted:

speak for yourself cracker.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I ethically source my meth, I'm not like the rest of you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OH MY BAD posted:

you think in an ideal workers governed society "all hard drugs should be available"?

I do not.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the straight edge/epstein thread

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

drugs are very fun and definitely as we use them today very much was influenced heavily by our enemies the cia the worlds larget drug cartel.dont yell at me i will not defend this position

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean it sort of also belies the Americentrism of these forums when people talk about drug use as though some of us don't already live in countries where the laws are nowhere near as liberal as the USA's are. It's not really a question of whether of someone is sober or not as a choice.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Anyone who does less or different drugs than me is an idiot, anyone who does more or different drugs than me is a maniac

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Wait, did Frosted Flakes just "greetings, fellow leftists!" the entire thread in his pro-temperance screed? Bro you're kinda shady sometimes.

Also the Temperance movement lead to Prohibition, which was incredibly bad and whose stupid echos gently caress up the Western world to this day.

not to be one way or the other with this but Temperance movement leading Prohibition could just be the forces of capitalism diverting a useful tool of organizing into a weapon against the working class, as they've been known to do. The result coming to Prohibition doesn't have to be a point against temperance.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
drug use as a binary is kind of silly, responsible adults can use recreational drugs for enjoyment in moderation, of course they may want to for the enhancement of other kinds of recreation like art or music or the consumption of either, addiction is a disease, it's a health issue and its causes are largely related to poverty

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Gonna check out Drugs as a weapon against us

The stereotype of the drunk Indian is a thing because the settlers knew they’d have an easier time stealing our land if they kept us drunk all the time. I remember reading about an Indian chief who recognized the social ills all this booze was causing his tribe, so he petitioned the governor of Pennsylvania, thinking the guy was his friend, to ban whites from selling booze to Indians in the territory. The governor responded by declaring the chief an outlaw and sent a posey after him.

I think we can recognize that drugs are a social ill under capitalism that are imposed on the toiling classes by the bourgeois, while at the same time understand that in primitive communism, as well as in many proto-feudal societies, drugs had important recreational and spiritual components that were important for social cohesion, and they can retake their natural place again if the system is abolished.

It’s not the drug, it’s the society that makes the vice.

Now can we please get off this derail?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

'If anything happens, it's not suicide': Boeing whistleblower's prediction before death

abcnews4.com posted:

## 'If anything happens, it's not suicide': Boeing whistleblower's prediction before death

John Barnett's family friend Jennifer doesn't think the Boeing whistleblower committed suicide in Charleston. In fact, she says he predicted what may happen to him days before he left for his deposition. March 14, 2024. (Provided-FILE, WCIV)

CHARLESTON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — A close family friend of John Barnett said he predicted he might wind up dead and that a story could surface that he killed himself.

But at the time, he told her not to believe it.

"I know that he did not commit suicide," said Jennifer, a friend of Barnett's. "There's no way."

Jennifer said they talked about this exact scenario playing out. However, now, his words seem like a premonition he told her directly not to believe.

"I know John because his mom and my mom are best friends," Jennifer said. "Over the years, get-togethers, birthdays, celebrations and whatnot. We've all got together and talked."

READ MORE: "Mystery lingers around Boeing whistleblower's death at Charleston hotel."

John Barnett's family friend Jennifer doesn't think the Boeing whistleblower committed suicide in Charleston. In fact, she says he predicted what may happen to him days before he left for his deposition. March 14, 2024. (Provided-FILE, WCIV)

When Jennifer needed help one day, Barnett came by to see her. They talked about his upcoming deposition in Charleston. Jennifer knew Barnett filed an extremely damaging complaint against Boeing. He said the aerospace giant retaliated against him when he blew the whistle on unsafe practices.

For more than 30 years, he was a quality manager. He'd recently retired and moved back to Louisiana to look after his mom.

"He wasn't concerned about safety because I asked him," Jennifer said. "I said, 'Aren't you scared?' And he said, 'No, I ain't scared, but if anything happens to me, it's not suicide.'"

Jennifer added: "I know that he did not commit suicide. There's no way. He loved life too much. He loved his family too much. He loved his brothers too much to put them through what they're going through right now."

Jennifer said she thinks somebody "didn't like what he had to say" and wanted to "shut him up" without it coming back to anyone.

READ MORE: "'John was brave': Boeing whistleblower's lawyer responds to news of his death."

"That's why they made it look like a suicide," Jennifer said.

The last time Jennifer saw Barnett was at her father's funeral in late February. He was one of the pallbearers. Sometimes family and friends referred to him by his middle name – Mitch.

"I think everybody is in disbelief and can't believe it," Jennifer said. "I don't care what they say, I know that Mitch didn't do that."

Just because Barnett is dead doesn't mean the case won't move forward.

His attorney said they're still prepared to go to trial in June.

News 4 reached out to Boeing following Barnett's death. They provided the following statement:

"We are saddened by Mr. Barnett’s passing, and our thoughts are with his family and friends.”

READ MORE: "Boeing whistleblower dies in Charleston, Charleston County Coroner's Office confirms."

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Azathoth posted:

I ethically source my meth, I'm not like the rest of you.

methical eth

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Tricky D posted:

1400 pages of MKULTRA and Jolly West and the Dulles Bros. Two days of princess cat shenanigans and the freaks come out.

*they* wouldn't care which specific content gets dug up here within reason (other than to enjoy it themselves). *they* would care about this place as a community, and making sure it does not ever feel too much like one.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

'If anything happens, it's not suicide': Cryptic suicide note puzzles the public

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

'If anything happens, it's not suicide'

didn't Danny Casolaro say something similar

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

Anyone who does less or different drugs than me is an idiot, anyone who does more or different drugs than me is a maniac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

didn't Danny Casolaro say something similar

To his friend that decided not to go with him. Also maybe to his brother.