Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

No. He was an 'analyst' in the 60s, hosed off out of things in the 70s, and in all that time he had about as much say or sway in the design and engineering of aircraft as a paperboy would.
Sprey actually was "involved" with the F-15 development. Page 73 has Sprey's alternative design to the F-15 which removes everything that made the F-15 good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Don't forget that the F-35 was a joint venture by numerous companies so that cost is spread around. Plane costs have been falling hard with each batch.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tactical bikes being delivered to Belarus.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

grumplestiltzkin posted:

That was my point. The program cost is huge, but it's (somewhat) offset on the price per airframe because there's so many airframes. Economies of scale is like econ 101 but lots of people seem to turn their brains off when they see "trillion" in the cost
It's not really that many, and they want to scale it back. Hardly the only problem, though. They declared this thing operational and were mass-producing it in IIRC 2011 despite it not being capable of combat, catching fire if it went supersonic, and despite knowing all the planes coming off the line would be sent back to Lockheed for cost-plus upgrades because the design wasn't finalized.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
I'm going to go head and admit that I thought the Boeing X-32 was the better plane but now with recent Boeing gently caress ups in the news can see that the military dodged a bullet by going with the Lockmart one.

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Prettz posted:

It's not really that many, and they want to scale it back. Hardly the only problem, though. They declared this thing operational and were mass-producing it in IIRC 2011 despite it not being capable of combat, catching fire if it went supersonic, and despite knowing all the planes coming off the line would be sent back to Lockheed for cost-plus upgrades because the design wasn't finalized.

that was a while ago innit

E. Revenant posted:

I'm going to go head and admit that I thought the Boeing X-32 was the better plane but now with recent Boeing gently caress ups in the news can see that the military dodged a bullet by going with the Lockmart one.

in typical murica style they likely won't take the chance to gently caress up military commissions like they do civilian aircraft.

geworfenheit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 15, 2024

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

geworfenheit posted:

that was a while ago innit
poo poo I forgot about the statute of limitations. In that case do I get my money back?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tactical Nukes are being sent to Belarus. Not bikes.

Belgorod continues to undergo a siege by RLF with belgorod railway station blown the gently caress up.

It's in the center of the city nearly so that says a lot about the incursion.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Prettz posted:

Mate there’s countries literally lining up to buy F-35s

I read something about the US House changing course on Ukraine aid, anything to that? Or is it more to send stuff to Israel and then drag their feet

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Victis posted:

I read something about the US House changing course on Ukraine aid, anything to that? Or is it more to send stuff to Israel and then drag their feet
And what's amazing is that it's all above-board

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Victis posted:

I'm not lining up to buy an F-35, checkmate nerds Shinjobi wins again

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Prettz posted:

poo poo I forgot about the statute of limitations. In that case do I get my money back?

as long as you still have your receipt.

Victis posted:

depends, does mike johnson have anything to do with it?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I own a good fraction of one (by weight).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The COVID vaccine I personally got cost $30,000,000,000

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Prettz posted:

literally none of that is an actual response to anything I said. You sure do seem mad at this one plane in specific. Show me on the doll where the f35 did bad things to you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
boeing did a pr campaign against it because it wasn't theirs and theirs didn't get picked. and the r&d cost overruns were really outrageous, because of the general military-industrial-complex habit of writing absolute dog poo poo software and cutting a release every 6 months

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is the F 35 discussion actually relevant?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Planes are cool

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

As long as it's grounded.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hating on the F-35 is tankie coded.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Look, if y'all are going to bicker about the F35 we better start seeing some convention badges. So you'd better be in the aerospace industry or shut up.

We'll also accept your opinions if you have the rank of airman first class and play a lot of War Thunder or whatever.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Any mention of F-35 inducing incoherent screeching is a classic tankie Pavlovian response.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

it's relevant in that you could have 4 out of 5 f-35s in the combined us air fleet magically combust on the tarmac, and there'd still be twice as many left as all the su-57s in existence, which i find intensely funny

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

according to vatniks, F-35s are flying over Ukraine doing wacky EW warfare and dropping JDAMS on S-400s

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

TheBuilder posted:

according to vatniks, F-35s are flying over Ukraine doing wacky EW warfare and dropping JDAMS on S-400s

It:s not true as while f35 can't be targeted there are ways of knowing it is out there.

I wish f35s were doing secret flights over Ukraine and russia, granting eternal flights at a whim.
I even bet russia would threaten to raise the eyebrow if it actually happened. They are already fighting John Hunter Bidens Nato clone soldiers in ukraine anyway.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Show me on the doll where the f35 did bad things to you.

He can't because the F-35 is undetectable.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
another night, another exploded refinery, this time in Kaluga

https://media.mstdn.social/media_attachments/files/112/098/567/130/111/937/original/3e76d357eae33ba8.mp4

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
It ain't much, but it's honest work.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
whiiirrrrrrrrrr

FAPPO

"blyat!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Remember when this first stated happening, and some moron Kramered in here to scold us about how this is actually perfectly normal and it happens everywhere ALL THE TIME and your media just doesn't report it because nobody cares about 68342 factories burning down in a year, and they wouldn't be reporting it now except they're trying to do a psyop about Russia.

Because every time another ammo dump goes up in flames or a factory or government bureaucracy mysteriously burns down, I remember and have a small lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do your high-level state officials and businessmen not fall out of windows on regular basis?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Remember when this first stated happening, and some moron Kramered in here to scold us about how this is actually perfectly normal and it happens everywhere ALL THE TIME

I'm pretty sure it has happened in Russia all the time even before 2014.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can't be affected by falling gas and oil prices if you don't sell any gas and oil. Another brilliant move by mastermind Putin letting these drones through. Effeminate western liberal are seething with rage about this 🤣

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1768591429511602507
Hello? Shamnesty International? anyone?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm pretty sure it has happened in Russia all the time even before 2014.

That seems unlikely given that it's presently changed Russia's exports.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

In Russia, the ritual re-approval of Putin's government by his serfs is underway, and it's a bizarre spectacle

Potemkin Tucker

Peter the Great and bogatyr cosplayers

giant beaver (?) and creepy cartoon characters

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 15, 2024

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

In Russia, the ritual re-approval of Putin's government by his serfs is underway today, and it's a bizarre spectacle

Potemkin Tucker

Peter the Great and boyar cosplayers

giant beaver (?) and creepy cartoon characters

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

No but you see, its OK because Ukraine forces Russia to do it by not using houses to accommodate first responders and paramedics. - Amnesty International

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

14 reportedly killed, 46 wounded... so far :(