Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

LLSix posted:

Any translation issues? I see they couldn’t be bothered to finish translating their store page and that’s usually a bad sign.
Nothing has really stood out. There is some confusing language in the items and attachments, but nothing you can't figure out from the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I need another Deck game to fill in when I am not playing Dragons Dogma 2 on my main PC. Thinking about Secrets of Grindea (finally hit 1.0 after a decade apparently) or Sea of Stars. Did everyone come around on the latter? I remember some grumbling at release.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ragequit posted:

I need another Deck game to fill in when I am not playing Dragons Dogma 2 on my main PC. Thinking about Secrets of Grindea (finally hit 1.0 after a decade apparently) or Sea of Stars. Did everyone come around on the latter? I remember some grumbling at release.

Sea of Stars looks great and has good music, but the writing is pretty weak, and the combat gets very repetitive. Characters simply don't have very many abilities, so you end up doing the same things over and over again in every battle.

Also there's a weird thing where like... the battles feel like puzzles, but they're often not fair puzzles. Like there's a mechanic where enemies will have a countdown to do a stronger attack, unless you can hit them with the right elemental attacks the right number of times before it goes off (blunt and cutting attacks are also elements). But sometimes you just don't have enough MP left from the last battle, or they require elements you cannot hit with that many times, or ones you don't even have access to yet. Also, to hit them often requires acing the little Paper Mario-style timing minigames (which is another thing that gets repetitive after a while).

So yeah it's like... alright, but it's no Chrono Trigger. Heck, you should play Chrono Trigger if you haven't, they really fixed up that PC port.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Play Chained Echoes but Sea of Stars is also good

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

explosivo posted:

I respect the hell out of Kenshi and the people who can come to grips with the systems but I have tried many times to get into it and it just is the opposite of fun to me. I think it's one of those games I watched streamers/youtubers play and it looks like a blast in a tightly edited video and hear so much praise over it here/elsewhere that I figured I'd try too but playing the game is just a massive slog and very much not for me.

Kly posted:

after trying Outward and Dragons Dogma because of people in this thread i skipped kenshi. it will live in my mind as an amazing game

it is exactly the type of game you are describing, you suffer for Kenshi and enjoy it in hindsight

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

System Shock remake is 50% off, might be time to add it to the library. Never played the original so I don't have any nostalgia to draw from but it's been referenced everywhere for decades, recreating it in a modern game engine is a good excuse to finally give it a try. Saw it pop up a few times in the GOTY thread as well so I'm assuming they did a good job with it.

I never played the original and thought the remake was very good. it's definitely more basic than SS2, there's no character building/specialization stuff, but it's engaging enough to play through.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I also don't get Kenshi. I love Rimworld and a lot of weird buggy sandbox games, but everything about Kenshi felt like a mess to me and the gameplay wasn't interesting enough to keep trying to dig through it all.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have decided I hate Into the Breach. I think it is a mostly fun game at a basic level, and the RNG of level design, monster design, and mech design sucks the fun right the gently caress out of it.

It used to be any situation that hosed me was 80% my fault / 20% bad RNG, but trying to work on the harder/weirder achievements per squad and poo poo and now that balance feels more like 10/90. Ugh.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Begemot posted:

So yeah it's like... alright, but it's no Chrono Trigger. Heck, you should play Chrono Trigger if you haven't, they really fixed up that PC port.

I appreciate the breakdown. I enjoyed the hell out of the Steam version of Chrono Trigger last year. Was a very cozy experience on the Deck. Really took me back to the 90s.

Squiggle posted:

I also enjoyed Chained Echoes. I’ll give Sea of Stars a shot, why not.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pleads posted:

I have decided I hate Into the Breach. I think it is a mostly fun game at a basic level, and the RNG of level design, monster design, and mech design sucks the fun right the gently caress out of it.

It used to be any situation that hosed me was 80% my fault / 20% bad RNG, but trying to work on the harder/weirder achievements per squad and poo poo and now that balance feels more like 10/90. Ugh.

Honestly, Into the Breach felt 100% deterministic. I stopped playing because it was basically just a foregone conclusion every game once you realy understand the systems. I looked again just now and I don't have 100% achievements anymore so I'm guessing they added some more stuff way later, which could easily be some kaizo bullshit for people who have played the game to death if other games are anything to go by. In which case it's probably just not going to be for everyone to enjoy.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ragequit posted:

Secrets of Grindea is insanely polished, and very charming. It also has a great arcade/roguelike side game outside of the base story

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Squiggle posted:

Sea of Stars is very okay, Chained Echoes is fantastic.

In conclusion, play CrossCode.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from 'beat a game' thread:

FutureCop posted:

Just finished Atomic Heart! For the most part, I quite enjoyed myself with this 'Russian Bioshock' experience despite some issues here and there, which was a bit of a surprise considering that I had a rough first impression and a lot of the reviewers that I watch and my roommate didn't enjoy themselves (not trying to be negative, but it does feel like a lot of reviewers just refuse to be critical of anything ambitious, especially if it's very pretty, from a small team, so to see it here was shocking).

PROS

Gorgeous, highly-detailed and fascinating world
Story is kinda goofy and dumb in a fun way at times, with a lot of twists
Cool combat where you juggle guns in one hand and glove abilities in another like Bioshock 2, and fight loads of interesting enemies and bosses
Allows you to respec weapons and abilities at any time, so it's fun to experiment
Fun to vacuum up items
Large variety keeps things interesting: starts out survival horror, eventually becomes doom eternal, there's combat, puzzles, exploration, lore, big open-world segments with driving and bonus dungeons
Lots of crazy spectacle and cool music

CONS

Bad first impression from initial gameplay forcing you to use a very slow and awkward melee weapon, no gun or plentiful bullets until later
Dumb story that ends with an unsatisfying cliffhanger ending, with the actual ending being held hostage in paid DLC (c'mon, what is this, Asura's Wrath?)
Dumb main character with goofy English voice acting and horny fridge (I mostly avoided this by playing in Russian)
Game feels unpolished in some aspects despite looking so beautiful: janky movement, awkward collisions, confusing navigation, weird glitches, desynced/mistimed events, etc (reminds me of Jedi Fallen Order)
Game is overwrought and unfocused with so many systems which feel unnecessary: open-world, crafting, upgrades, etc
Open-world segments can feel annoying with the way enemies constantly respawn
Most of the challenging puzzles and interesting weapon upgrades are only within the open world bonus dungeons
Combat feels like it only starts to be challenging and requiring to use all of your tools in the very late game
Feels like it could get very repetitive: I mostly dodged it by mainly sticking to the story instead of side activities

Thinking of what to move onto next on Gamepass. Lots of choices: Ishin, Everspace 2, Pentiment, Jusant, Wo Long, the list goes on. Again, more reason to likely not pick up anything on this Steam sale...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ishin good. Everspace 2 good-ish. Pentiment brilliant but not for everyone.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jarvisi posted:

I tried it when it first came out. Does base building have a point or is all the stuff in caves still?

It's fun! You can speedrun through all of the caves if you want, there's nothing forcing you into base building.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

In conclusion, play CrossCode.

:hmmyes:

A good response to just about anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I'd argue that it's not *that* fiddly, definitely not to the level that Nebulous looks to be, which seems straight up milsim from all the footage I've seen. Nexus is much more Star Trek/Space Opera so it's more about managing shields and launching torpedoes than customizing individual submunitions and doing maths for armor penetration. But yeah, it's small scale fleet action, I doubt you ever command even 10 ships at any one time. Anyway, I had no idea it was still being patched at all, finna pick it up with cardmoney.

It's definitely not as fiddly as some other tactical games of its era, I just meant more in comparison to going back from the modern, super slick tactics games we get now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

System Shock remake is 50% off, might be time to add it to the library. Never played the original so I don't have any nostalgia to draw from but it's been referenced everywhere for decades, recreating it in a modern game engine is a good excuse to finally give it a try. Saw it pop up a few times in the GOTY thread as well so I'm assuming they did a good job with it.

Worth noting that it's got a big patch coming soon, so the price is nice but you might want to hold off on playing it immediately. I know that's a big ask here in the Steam thread of all places. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It does have a demo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's fantastic, and 50% off is a great deal.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

John Murdoch posted:

Worth noting that it's got a big patch coming soon, so the price is nice but you might want to hold off on playing it immediately. I know that's a big ask here in the Steam thread of all places. :v:

It can sit in the List of Shame for a few weeks, Forbidden West is just around the corner anyway. I'll be the one person who plays that instead of Dragon's Dogma 2.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol, Nexus: Jupiter Incident is on sale for a buck

I haven't thought about that game in decades, but apparently there was a failed sequel kickstarter and they did a bunch of patching in the few years between then and now. I recall it being pretty middling but what the hell why not

Imperium Galactica 2 is on sale btw.

And I wanted Imperium Galactica 3, but they stripped all the 4X out and had to rename it…

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kibayasu posted:

Syberia 1 and 2 are staples of old adventure games - 1 more so than 2 but I still enjoy both a lot. The characters aren’t quite as rich as TLJ but there’s plenty of personality on display and the environments have fun with the clockwork theme. Also much like TLJ there are plenty of classic adventure game puzzles where you combine a bunch of seemingly unrelated items into an impossible but useful contraption.

Syberia 3 and 4 are modern 3D adventure games and have a much lighter emphasis on puzzles and more on dialogue and character. Unfortunately they aren’t quite as good at the dialogue and character as they need to be and the VA/animation budget was obviously pretty limited. 3 in particular can be especially dire at times. 3D being more expensive also means there isn’t nearly as much imagination on display in the backgrounds compared to 1 and 2.

Syberia 4 (World Before) improved a lot on 3 in basically all respects but is still just getting into the valleys below the peaks that 1 and 2 reached. It at least feels like a lot more effort went into it. 4 is an okay modern adventure game.

Gromit posted:

Like Kibayasu suggested, 3 is pretty dire compared to the first 2. Like, it really soured me on the whole lot.

thank you! i think then that i'll grab the first 2 individually and leave the pack. if i really want to play the 3rd and 4th afterwards, i'm sure they'll come up in a future sale

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This deserves to be posted here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SfsJ0X-2fk

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That was pretty wholesome.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

It's wild to think about that they were all probably around 13 years old when TF2 came out

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

After that "Immortals of Aveum" game making a bunch of negative headlines a few weeks ago, I snagged it while it was on sale as the general vibe I was getting was "Honeslty doesn't do anything bad, but Mediocrity isn't worth full price" -- just getting around to it now that Last Epoch's launch is losing my interest, and man is it bland. Your main magic weapons are literally called "Red Magic", "Blue Magic", "Green Magic" which is just like generic "Shotgun", "Pistol/Rifle", "SMG" from any FPS. It looks nice, I guess, but the general worldbuilding and characters are also just incredibly bland. Some FPS drops on like an i7 12k or something and a 3070. You do get some neat magic 'abilities' like a lasso kinda thing to pull enemies close and I'm sure there's more later on, but it's just so generic and uninspired. Not even worth the $20 sale price.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kenshi has incredibly high highs. Sometimes you have a fight or explore a region that's really awesome. Other times it's a hours long slog that makes you question why are you wasting your precious little time on this planet watching bars fill up and numbers get higher. If Kenshi 2 makes the bar filling and number raising 10000% faster or eliminates that slog entirely then they would have created the perfect game for freaks like me.

Honestly, I enjoyed most of my time with it but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead if you want the high of going from some worthless peon to a demi-god of death I highly recommend Gothic 1 and, especially, 2. You accomplish that feat in a fraction of the time and the maps are perfectly sized for getting around it. Incredible game. Once you get used to the controls you will not be able to stop playing. I love that game so much. Plus it has the right amount of jank that you can break things in really fun ways to get past really hard encounters to get to areas you normally wouldn't survive in to get items. There's a fun one where if you entrap an enemy with one of the spells they drop spell runes that you aren't supposed to get and they're really powerful.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 15, 2024

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is Kenshi 2 going to use a new engine? It just looks so rear end and performs terribly at the same time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's using UE5.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's using UE5.
So you could play it in VR then?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Technically but once you see a beak thing running at you fullspeed in VR you'd probably never touch it again.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I also can’t get into Kenshi for the aforementioned reasons, but Matchless Kung Fu hit it off for me. There’s no long slog of nothing happen as the worldmap expand by you patching up a few selection of key locations together, traveling is fast, power up is swift, and the combat is entertaining enough to watch and play through. Not sure when they will get better translation though.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I loved Kenshi. Great world, cool presentation, absolutely nails everything it has to including the inaccessibility. I think the litmus test for it is if you like Warband (enough to mod it especially) or the other older Mount and Blade games, you'll probably like Kenshi and be forgiving of its many many shortcomings. Wandering through the Leviathan Coast for the first time was a high point that almost felt like playing Morrowind when I was young (including the kinda janky rear end performance), even with my pathetic little party of dipshits who could barely fight off 10 starving cannibals. But when the run finishes, in however many years of sporadic play, that'll be it for me and I will probably not ever reinstall, but it will have been worth it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One thing I appreciate with Kenshi is that all the stuff is prefab so if you're not especially good at designing buildings or don't want to bother then you have all these options for various sizes and functions. The requirements to build them aren't steep either, requiring one of three resources that don't have you to scour the world for.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Slum Loser posted:

I loved Kenshi. Great world, cool presentation, absolutely nails everything it has to including the inaccessibility. I think the litmus test for it is if you like Warband (enough to mod it especially) or the other older Mount and Blade games, you'll probably like Kenshi and be forgiving of its many many shortcomings.

Put me down as someone who absolutely loved Warband and all the OG Mount and Blade games but hated Kenshi. I don't really see many similarities other than gathering a party and traveling around a map finding your own thing to do with minimal instruction.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

speaking of, how's Bannerlord these days?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Jedi: Survivor is cheaper when bundled with Jedi: Fallen Order than just buying it on its own. I already have Fallen Order so I think I'll be able to just gift the extra copy?

EA is a well run company.

How intrusive is EA's app at the moment? I don't think I've had to fire up the EA app since the change from Origin. Again, EA is a well run company that makes many games that people want to play.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Which is better Dune: Spice Wars or Old World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AngryBooch posted:

Jedi: Survivor is cheaper when bundled with Jedi: Fallen Order than just buying it on its own. I already have Fallen Order so I think I'll be able to just gift the extra copy?

EA is a well run company.

How intrusive is EA's app at the moment? I don't think I've had to fire up the EA app since the change from Origin. Again, EA is a well run company that makes many games that people want to play.

It adds itself to your system startup by default I think, all I know for sure is it pops up every now and then, probably when it updates, and I haven't had Jedi Survivor installed in a long time, uninstalling did not uninstall that app. Also requires you to log in after updates. It's medium annoying.