Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Vox Nihili posted:

alright I read the transcript and this work environment sounds like the most kafkaesque lib hellscape you could conjure up

like obviously you're going to be brutally crucified for criticizing management, welcome to Every Job, but they do some HR idpol jiu jitsu to turn her pretty typical workplace parlance, e.g. "the beatings will continue until morale improves" and "I am afraid to speak to my supervisor about this issue" into Insane Racism, then force the worker to agree that she was a racist and to apologize, and further say that she is TRIGGERING her bosses by using REFERENCES TO VIOLENCE

holy poo poo look at these liberals go

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

*master chief pounding table BAIL OUT BAIL OUTS*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Haha only one of these things actually matters but we're too broken as a society to understand this unbelievably simple fact

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

Haha only one of these things actually matters but we're too broken as a society to understand this unbelievably simple fact

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Gotta break some planes to make an omelette. Simple as

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

That's correct. We need Mayo Pete to remind everyone that these types of occurences are actually pretty common and nothing to get worked up about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe some instituton should impose safety regulations

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

you can't impose your regulations on me, I do not consent

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

euphronius posted:

*u were shot in the back by poster euphronius*

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Xaris posted:

I work at literally a federal doe waste cleanup site that's under changing management and not once in any of the big spiel all hands meetings about rotating responsibilities was quality assurance/control even mentioned. According to DOE orders there are QA/QC requirements that basically supersede all day to day tasks in terms of priority and yet it never came up as a general topic in any discussion regarding the cleanup activity. Coincidentally, we've hosed up a ton of stuff lately that all boils down to quality control issues, there's stuff that according to federal nuclear quality assurance guidelines should be done that we sorta keep brushing over to push projects through faster to meet deadlines and get those sweet incentive bonuses but whoops it turns out freezing inspectors out of mandatory inspections leads to a double whammy of failures and penalties for not having proper safeguards to identify those failures.

It doesn't really matter though because the money saved by speeding things up and rolling the dice on hoping it works out outweighs the penalties when it doesn't. Fortunately none of the poo poo that has gone wrong has resulted in environmental disasters but it legit could and that we're not course correcting is kinda scary in it's own right. This stuff is about as tightly regulated and inspected by the gov as possible in current political context and yet the top down directive is still p clearly "ask for forgiveness rather than permission".

What I'm trying to say is the aviation situation is probably gonna keep getting worse before it gets better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would not eat meat in the USA if I were any of you

not out of nowhere, related to the current topic

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
move fast break things™

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

its one number between 4 and 5 !

we are so close !

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

PoundSand posted:

What I'm trying to say is the aviation situation is probably gonna keep getting worse

fixed this for you

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

We're curently under investigation by the doe but the entire focus is time card fraud and they've harped on things such as taking too long of walks on our breaks.

Furniture has been removed from communal areas.

The building that was shut down cause we decided to not do inspections on connections in the piping and whoops there were leaks, no changes to how we handle contracting pipefitters. It wasn't an inspection problem it was a fluke vendor problem obviously.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Your sacrifice will not be in vain. I will have earned an extra penny on my dividend. Just sorta unfortunate that you had to die in a horrific plane crash.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PoundSand posted:

We're curently under investigation by the doe but the entire focus is time card fraud and they've harped on things such as taking too long of walks on our breaks.

Furniture has been removed from communal areas.

The building that was shut down cause we decided to not do inspections on connections in the piping and whoops there were leaks, no changes to how we handle contracting pipefitters. It wasn't an inspection problem it was a fluke vendor problem obviously.

maybe the DOE should do the work itself instead of hiring middle man grifters?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Xaris posted:

um. there may be some causality here... hello???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Vox Nihili posted:

alright I read the transcript and this work environment sounds like the most kafkaesque lib hellscape you could conjure up

like obviously you're going to be brutally crucified for criticizing management, welcome to Every Job, but they do some HR idpol jiu jitsu to turn her pretty typical workplace parlance, e.g. "the beatings will continue until morale improves" and "I am afraid to speak to my supervisor about this issue" into Insane Racism, then force the worker to agree that she was a racist and to apologize, and further say that she is TRIGGERING her bosses by using REFERENCES TO VIOLENCE

holy poo poo look at these liberals go

This is idpol working as intended

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Smythe posted:

um. there may be some causality here... hello???

good catch, all this focus on safety seems to be causing reduced financial performance

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

silicone thrills posted:

Article about how rural homelessness is rising 6x faster than average.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/what-rural-homelessness-looks-like/

economy is fine though right?

this is freaking dire

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Paradoxish posted:

good catch, all this focus on safety seems to be causing reduced financial performance

:tipshat:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doing work sounds like it kicks rear end

:911:

euphronius posted:

I would not eat meat in the USA if I were any of you

not out of nowhere, related to the current topic

Ok but what are my odds of getting listeria from spinach or whatever?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

ArmedZombie posted:

maybe the DOE should do the work itself instead of hiring middle man grifters?

I've spent my entire post college life working fed contractor jobs ranging from research to engineering to inspections in presumably stable careers that I would have loved to be simply employed by the government cause I was forced to obey their byzantine restrictions anyways as a contractor and I can only assume I never had the opportunity because they'd rather piss away money to be essentially embezzled by the owners of said contracting firms than pay for my healthcare or retirement.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

he had evidence that could be used against Boeing

he knew

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PoundSand posted:

I've spent my entire post college life working fed contractor jobs ranging from research to engineering to inspections in presumably stable careers that I would have loved to be simply employed by the government cause I was forced to obey their byzantine restrictions anyways as a contractor and I can only assume I never had the opportunity because they'd rather piss away money to be essentially embezzled by the owners of said contracting firms than pay for my healthcare or retirement.

That's exactly what it is. Contractors are paid a fraction of the billable rate, as well you know, and the surplus goes to the top. It's all about upholding the social and class order.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

skooma512 posted:

That's exactly what it is. Contractors are paid a fraction of the billable rate, as well you know, and the surplus goes to the top. It's all about upholding the social and class order.

Yeah I mean the very obvious and unavoidable answer is feds hire contractors to do work they should be doing directly because the whole process is a way to put fed funds in private hands and that's the goal. I just thought it was funny someone was asking me this as if I was the problem. I'm just an employee that would otherwise be a gov employee if we weren't pointlessly privatizing everything, I would prefer to be a gov employee cause I get the bulk of the downsides anyways, such as having to deal with drug tests for stuff that's legal in my state because it's not federally legal. If the DOE were directly controlling the site I work at rather than indirectly contracting it my job wouldn't change, I'd be better off, the public would be better off. It's just not gonna happen for the same reason it got contracted in the first place.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is idpol working as intended

seems more like manipulative corporate sociopaths being manipulative corporate sociopaths

its 2024 why are we still using "idpol" as some type of weird dogwhistle? i mean im hardly one to speak tbf. I unironically still use "Overton Window"

feel like "rustbelt" needs to make a comeback. Been awhile since I've heard that out in the wild

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Mar 15, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

move fast break things™

fly fast, break wings.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PoundSand posted:

Yeah I mean the very obvious and unavoidable answer is feds hire contractors to do work they should be doing directly because the whole process is a way to put fed funds in private hands and that's the goal. I just thought it was funny someone was asking me this as if I was the problem. I'm just an employee that would otherwise be a gov employee if we weren't pointlessly privatizing everything, I would prefer to be a gov employee cause I get the bulk of the downsides anyways, such as having to deal with drug tests for stuff that's legal in my state because it's not federally legal. If the DOE were directly controlling the site I work at rather than indirectly contracting it my job wouldn't change, I'd be better off, the public would be better off. It's just not gonna happen for the same reason it got contracted in the first place.

My experience is the same in the corpo hell world: contractors everywhere used as disposable labor because getting money for a full time corpo person is impossible and costs a lot more for some stupid reason. Despite this the prices paid to the contractors for the labor are often more than hiring a corpo person and of course the bill rate the person in the contractor role gets is something like 65% of what mega corp Y pays lovely contractor farm X. So from your descriptions it sounds like government work is neolib to the core in that it emulates the great humanitarian successes done by the titans of industry.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no ring

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hafta be home all monday because the county's gotta come by and do an inspection

no hourly window, just "monday"

Bet they didn't even say which monday.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Vox Nihili posted:

medical professionals bounce in and out of insurance networks all the time now, it owns

half the time I go to the dentist it's in-network, half the time it's not, like rolling dice

policymakers basically expect you to phone all of your providers every January 1 to check

It loving rules, insurance companies just change what drugs they cover at any time so one month your drug is covered, next month oh sorry they don't cover brand name anymore it has to be generic, then next month oh now it has to be brand name.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Good morning

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1768269603640115230?t=oSqRyp1UuCQYWYGXyY3Ptg&s=19

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I support chinese gangsters

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

President Xi will reorganize crime

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Triad vs Yakuza vs Rednecks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Biplane posted:

President Xi will reorganize crime

If you're gonna have crime, it might as well be organised crime

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
80s we had the cartels, lat 80s early 90s we had yakuza, 90s to 9/11 was right-wing military, 9/11 to esrly 2010s was "terrorists", then cartels again, now Chinese mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Tongs are for flipping stuff on the grill, that makes them A.OK with me